TX TX - Houston, 'Swimsuit Boy' WhtMale 15-19, UP4547, Dean Corll victim, Aug'73

Good find! I wonder if Mitchel's family would know if he had spina bifida or if it was such a mild case it would have been undiagnosed. I think it's worth reporting!

I'm guessing that the 'mild form of spina bifida' referred to is actually spina bifida occulta - it's basically a malformed thoracic or lumbar vertebra. 99.9% of the time, this condition is not discovered except accidentally, on x-ray for another condition. It generally produces absolutely no symptoms.

wow. here is a new one for all those who put all faith in DNA.

I was looking at the DNA section of the UID and found this entry:

A second sample was sent on 4/05/2011 because the first sample may not have belonged to the remains.

makes you wonder how often that happens!

thanks to WS'rmysteriew for finding this info and sending it to me to post.

After nearly four decades, a team of Harris County forensic scientists has identified one of the last victims of Houston serial killer Dean Corll as Roy Eugene Bunton, a teenager missing since about 1971.

<snip>

He was one of only two still unidentified victims of the serial killer.

Now, it is the last unidentified teen who haunts Derrick. She is hoping for yet another relative to call about this boy whose body was discovered buried near Bunton's.

Clothing stands out
He likely went missing in 1971 or 1972. Two possible candidates, old unsolved missing persons cases, remain open from that era. But their last names are so common - French and Harmon or Harman - that Derrick has been unable to find any relatives.

The unknown boy died still wearing distinctive striped swim trunks, red white and blue, and a tan shirt with a huge peace symbol. When examined under a microscope, the shirt reveals several tiny letters that might be LB4 MF or possibly LBHMF. Was this boy or an older brother a U.S. Marine?
Derrick wonders if the letters might refer to the Third battalion of the 4th Marines, which saw action in its deployment to Vietnam. For now, he has only a case number: ML73-3356.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ades-another-serial-killer-victim-2336666.php

The 40th anniversary of the discovery of the remains is coming up, sparking a fresh effort to get the last known victim identified:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/40-years-after-Houston-serial-killings-one-4687678.php#photo-4962803

Next month, Derrick will make a brief presentation at the 40th high school reunion of Waltrip High School's class of 1973.

The class members would likely be about the same age as the unidentified victim, whom Derrick believes probably disappeared in 1971 or 1972.

"I really want to get this information out to them," she said. "What we need is people to step up and say, 'I had a friend who went missing. Here's his name.'&#8201;"

I noticed that someone named David Hesterlee was ruled out as being this UID. I am not very familiar with that name (I try to keep up to date about all the young men who went missing from 1972 to May 1983). Does anyone have more information about him? From what I have read, it sounds like he was surfing with Mark Bachelder and neither of them returned the night of September 22, 1974 but I can't find a photo of him or his vital statistics.

I noticed that someone named David Hesterlee was ruled out as being this UID. I am not very familiar with that name (I try to keep up to date about all the young men who went missing from 1972 to May 1983). Does anyone have more information about him? From what I have read, it sounds like he was surfing with Mark Bachelder and neither of them returned the night of September 22, 1974 but I can't find a photo of him or his vital statistics.

I can't find any photos of him yet, but I see that he had brothers Tommy and Mark, in addition to another brother and sister whose names are not indicated. Tommy went to Robert E Lee High School, Class of 1969.

Since David Hesterlee was born in 1956, he must have been in the Class of 1974 or 1975.

Robert E. Lee High School (Houston) Class of 1975. Where have I heard that before???? LOL.

I don't see him among the Juniors in the RELHS 1971, 1972, or 1973 yearbooks

Here is Dr Derricks file on deceased. For some reason I cannot post recontruction. Maybe someone can? If so I would appreciate your kindness.

<modsnip: broken link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Dr Derricks file on deceased. For some reason I cannot post recontruction. Maybe someone can?

Here you go:

Screenshot2013-08-06at113645AM_zps92433be9.png

Some clearer images of the things he was wearing:

27DBD861-4235-4DED-AFAA-56B030458132.jpeg
The L84MF could easily be something like LBHMF, LB4 MF... It could stand for a regiment or something, maybe?

I can't find any photos of him yet, but I see that he had brothers Tommy and Mark, in addition to another brother and sister whose names are not indicated. Tommy went to Robert E Lee High School, Class of 1969.

Since David Hesterlee was born in 1956, he must have been in the Class of 1974 or 1975.

Robert E. Lee High School (Houston) Class of 1975. Where have I heard that before???? LOL.

I don't see him among the Juniors in the RELHS 1971, 1972, or 1973 yearbooks

WOW HE AND PRINCESS DOE MIGHT HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME CLASS :( Just got chills eek!!!!!!

This popped today with the picture they are showing at the reunion. I actually really like this idea, and I wish more LE would use targeted methods like this. It's not expensive or fancy but makes a lot of sense.

<modsnip: broken link>

That being said, the Corl case is really one of the most horrifying ones I have ever read about. I truly hope that both his and Gacy's unided victims all get names/sent home some day....

17 YEAR OLD HAS NOT BEEN SEEN BY FAMILY SINCE 1973

<modsnip: broken link; Joseph Norman "Joey" Spears was a teenager who was killed in an auto-pedestrian accident in 1973. He was identified in 2016 through recognition by his mother, following a failed attempt at profiling his DNA.>

Height (inches) 64.0 to 68.0
Weight (pounds) 150.0 to 180.0

Attachments

• SWBY.jpg
    SWBY.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 222
I wouldn't rely on resemblance or lack thereof. This artist's reconstruction of Michael Baulch was off by a mile.

2639067040045078242S200x200Q851.jpg
2841324290045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Looks like Dermot Kelly IMO.https://charleyproject.org/case/dermot-faulkner-kelly

Dermot Kelly is already listed as a rule out.

Ruleouts from Namus listing as of December 11 2013:

Mark Bachelder 1957 Texas
James Egan 1954 Wisconsin
David Hesterlee 1956 Texas
Dermot Kelly 1955 Illinois
Norman Prater 1957 Texas
Derran Rogers 1959 California
David Waggoner 1947 Texas
Michael Weiser 1956 New York

FYI It should read Mitchel Weiser, NamUs notified by ME office.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back