MI - YouTube Prank Has Singer Facing Prison

eileenhawkeye

Reaction score
A 21-year-old singer-songwriter apparently thought a viral video could bring attention to his fledgling career. But Michigan's Evan Emory got more notoriety than he anticipated: His joke-gone-wrong has left him charged with "manufacturing child sexual abusive material," a felony that carries a 20-year sentence. Emory's gag was to appear to sing extremely graphic lyrics to a classroom of first-graders, reports MLive. In fact, he sang the kid-friendly "Lunch Lady Land" to the kids, then dubbed in the graphic lyrics after the fact when he posted the video on YouTube.

Prosecutors are still going after him, noting that the law covers instances when suspects only make it appear as if children were abused. "The bottom line is he walked in took advantage and victimized every single child in that classroom,” said one official. Parents who saw their kids' smiling faces on the video are outraged. The video has been pulled from YouTube.

http://www.newser.com/story/112320/...buse-for-youtube-prank-over-raunchy-song.html

This is so stupid. Who cares? To give him 20 years, or any jail time at all, for this is ridiculous and it takes away from what real child sex abuse really is. The sad thing is that someone who rapes a child won't even get 20 years. On an HLN video, it said on the side, "Child *advertiser censored*?" Yeah, it's totally the same thing. -_- The hilarious thing is I bet all of those kids listen to popular music today that is filled with sexual innuendos.

It's not cool to do it without the parents' permission. But SNL and The Chapelle Show have done stuff like this before.

http://www.newser.com/story/112320/...buse-for-youtube-prank-over-raunchy-song.html

This is so stupid. Who cares? To give him 20 years, or any jail time at all, for this is ridiculous and it takes away from what real child sex abuse really is. The sad thing is that someone who rapes a child won't even get 20 years. On an HLN video, it said on the side, "Child *advertiser censored*?" Yeah, it's totally the same thing. -_- The hilarious thing is I bet all of those kids listen to popular music today that is filled with sexual innuendos.

Amen. I think it's fine to pull the video since the children didn't know what sort of video they were making, but do we really need to support this guy in prison? Come on!

Amen. I think it's fine to pull the video since the children didn't know what sort of video they were making, but do we really need to support this guy in prison? Come on!

IMO, the main issue here is the lack of parental permission. I work at a school, and we are required to have parental permission before any photographs or video of the children are provided to anyone besides the school and the parents (news stations, even thank you cards for community volunteers/businesses that donate items to our school).

Personally, I have a crazy, mean, homicidal ex out there, and I don't allow me or my child to be photographed for anything except family events. You never know when a non-custodial parent will view their child on some sort of media and use it to stalk said child and the custodial parent/foster parents, etc.

ETA: Prison? Let's keep that open for violent offenders...this guy probably just needs a talking-to and a strong admonishment. IMO

If my kids face was in that video I'd talk with him.

20 years? Naw. Jail time? Naw. A foot up his bupkiss maybe.

Too many freaks out there who may misinterpret that. JMO

IMO, the main issue here is the lack of parental permission. I work at a school, and we are required to have parental permission before any photographs or video of the children are provided to anyone besides the school and the parents (news stations, even thank you cards for community volunteers/businesses that donate items to our school).

Personally, I have a crazy, mean, homicidal ex out there, and I don't allow me or my child to be photographed for anything except family events. You never know when a non-custodial parent will view their child on some sort of media and use it to stalk said child and the custodial parent/foster parents, etc.

ETA: Prison? Let's keep that open for violent offenders...this guy probably just needs a talking-to and a strong admonishment. IMO

The parents did give permission for their kids to be in the video. He came to the school, sang a kids' song to the class, and then edited it with a inappropriate song. It wasn't secretly videotaped.

Prosecutor abuse of authority taken to an extreme. An act far more damaging to society than the one the kid is accused of. What a truly hateful and angry little man he must be.

Prosecutor abuse of authority taken to an extreme. An act far more damaging to society than the one the kid is accused of. What a truly hateful and angry little man he must be.

I would love to know how much jail time, actual child molesters/rapists, have gotten in that county.

The parents did give permission for their kids to be in the video. He came to the school, sang a kids' song to the class, and then edited it with a inappropriate song. It wasn't secretly videotaped.

Thanks, I must have misread (that's what I get for posting at work while trying to pretend I'm working:))

In any case, the permission was for the video they thought it was going to be, not the one that it ended up being, so their original permission was null and void once the video was edited, yeah?
People can be so creepy! Call me overprotective but I'd just rather not ever give permission for my child's image to be reproduced unless I knew the person taking the images and/or had a professional contract, etc.

Wow. Another newsmaker from my county this week. Muskegon County Prosecuters enjoy charging people with as many inane crimes as possible in order that when it's time to plea, the prosecuter's office loses nothing really. No, I have never been in trouble with the law but know plenty of people who have. A family member of mine, while in high school, was the look-out while his friend stole a vcr from the high school media room. They were both charged with stealing the vcr AND the box it came in seperately. When it came time to plead, the prosecuter offered to drop the charge on the box. See what I'm getting at? They are overzealous with some things, yet the "real crime" has gotten worse here by leaps and bounds. Shootings and beatings in the news every week last summer. So I'm not suprised that they are charging him. They will allow him to plead down, therefore maintaining their stellar prosecution record (since hardly anyone goes to trial here, they almost never lose a trial) while getting thousands of dollars of probation fees and court costs from him.

what lyrics did he dub in?

I told a friend about this today.... Her preteen DD was abused by her own father, and he got 5 years.... She was P*ssed that this had the potential of getting more time... She said she wished that was all she had to fight for, her childs face in an edited video:(

It was wrong, but I think a good scaring, maybe some community service etc... Would suffice just fine for this.

Wow! We sure do love to lock up people in this country!

So now bad taste is illegal. Better build a lot more prisons.

What Evan did was so stupid, but 60 days in jail is excessive. Evan got permission to sing a kid-friendly song to a 1st grade school and all the parents gave him permission to film his performance. Then, on his own, he went and dubbed over the song with a raunchy song, and put it on YT.

“Every time I see footage on the TV, my 6-year-old daughter is front and center,” he said. “It’s out there and it still exists. Who knows how many copies got printed off. There is no real remorse here from Evan or (his) supporters,” Willick said. “A line was crossed in an infamous attempt to gain fame and comedic response from his friends.”

You keep seeing the footage on TV because you made a huge deal about it, so it became a big local story. Evan gained "fame" thanks to your help. Get the video deleted from the Internet, and it's all done with it.

If it were only that simple.

According to a comment on the article, the video was deleted from YouTube as soon as someone complained about it. This isn't some video that went viral and had 50 million views before it was deleted. Once the parents informed the local media of the story, they were the ones who saved the video and showed it over and over.

According to a comment on the article, the video was deleted from YouTube as soon as someone complained about it. This isn't some video that went viral and had 50 million views before it was deleted. Once the parents informed the local media of the story, they were the ones who saved the video and showed it over and over.

Exactly. It is the parents complaining and going to the media that victimized the children. Before that nobody knew who or where these kids were at. Now everybody that has seen or is able to see the video will know who and where the kids are at.

This is something that should have been handled civilly with a cease and desist order and maybe a monetary settlement for damages. This criminal case against him was just completely wrong and it is a shame that he felt that he had to take a plea.

There's already a thread on this:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128958"]YouTube Prank Has Singer Facing Prison - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I've contacted a mod asking for the threads to be combined:)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back