TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for dogs it depends on what type of training they have had and in what discipline. For trailing dogs a little bit of rain can actually be a good thing and really gets the scent activated if you will. A torrential downpour is bad, it can literally wash the scent away, but, looking at the weather it doesn't look like they had that kind of rain. The scent does not just hang in the air, it goes to the ground, it sticks to the brush, it blows around a bit. 10 days old is a quite doable trail for a properly trained trailing dog.
If you want an overview on the different types of SAR dogs either go to my blog or to www.4themissing.net.

As for dogs it depends on what type of training they have had and in what discipline. For trailing dogs a little bit of rain can actually be a good thing and really gets the scent activated if you will. A torrential downpour is bad, it can literally wash the scent away, but, looking at the weather it doesn't look like they had that kind of rain. The scent does not just hang in the air, it goes to the ground, it sticks to the brush, it blows around a bit. 10 days old is a quite doable trail for a properly trained trailing dog.
If you want an overview on the different types of SAR dogs either go to my blog or to www.4themissing.net.

If the scent of the missing person had been compromised by searchers and their scents, would the dogs still be able to track the scent?

Does anyone get the feeling that the perp could be LE?

Perhaps not LE per se, but I'm open to the suggestion that someone may be enjoying protection in the investigation.

Then again, I live in Oklahoma, and that sort of thing does happen around here.

Here is what I do not get at all:

Why would you have people buy T-shirts that are not going towards the reward fund but instead all the money is going towards Holly herself?

Her mother said she wanted the donations from the T-shirts to go towards Holly so that when she gets back she can go on vacation or buy whatever she wants.

I don't mind (I don't live there but if I did I would buy one). Given the reward is $80,000 you arent going to add much to that by selling tee shirts. Im sure there is some financial strain on Hollys family with all this (parents not being able to work) and they want to be able to do something nice for her when she gets back (assuming, hoping, they find her). Sometimes too things like tee shirt sales, etc are ways for other people to feel helpful... getting the word out about Holly, having something to do, etc.

About the FB rules, I understand them pretty well but what about the pages that are dedicated to updating about what's going on like "Bring Holly Bobo home" I know rumors are not allowed but what about an update that was given?

Well we have to remember that these FB's are not fact only rumor. In another case the FB's that are supposed to be support pages have created a problem for us and we limit them, but it is in the parking lot and cannot be brought to the threads.

At the present time these type of FB's are not allowed. Perhaps the moderators would consider such a thread in the Parking Lot. But this is a Holiday Weekend. So getting all of the moderators to weigh in on this may take some time.

If you send Imamaze, Shewhomaynotbenamed, Salem, and Kimster the link perhaps they will consider opening a Parking Lot thread. :)

Charm,

Things that make you go......Hmmmmmm.....I keep reading your post over and over :waitasec:.

Interesting

I know I read another post(s) that also asked if anyone thought the perp could be EMS/fire fighter.........

At this point, nothing would surprise me. Thanks for the thought "outside the box".......

score

If the scent of the missing person had been compromised by searchers and their scents, would the dogs still be able to track the scent?

Yes. But the initial scents from her abduction will be gone after a week if they are using tracking dogs. In that case they would be looking for fresh scents. Cadaver dogs go for a different scent they have been trained to identify.

If you think about it, dogs are VERY good with scents. With sniffing dogs, for example, everyone has seen examples where they take pot (or explosives) and hide it, often in things (coffee, perfume, etc.) to mask the scent. But the dogs very often hit upon the item without too much effort.

This is about the only news article I have seen today. But its nice and says a lot about Holly and her family. Seem like real nice people; all of them. At least according to a wide number of friends, teachers, etc. Everyone should read this. Even after over a week into the case, I found it interesting and just nice.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110423/NEWS25/110423004/1002/rss

Thanks! Copying this over to the news thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133246&page=2

Sure seems like they really thought they were going to find something today... day seems like it dragged on with little or no information. Which seems to make me worry they really don't have much at all. That's concerning.

By and large I am not a huge LE fan or supporter ... but in this case I dont get that sense. For one, someone in LE could just flash their car lights and pull her over on the road at night some time... No need to do the more brazen, risky, thing of going to her house and trying to snatch her in broad daylight.

I don't mind (I don't live there but if I did I would buy one). Given the reward is $80,000 you arent going to add much to that by selling tee shirts. Im sure there is some financial strain on Hollys family with all this (parents not being able to work) and they want to be able to do something nice for her when she gets back (assuming, hoping, they find her). Sometimes too things like tee shirt sales, etc are ways for other people to feel helpful... getting the word out about Holly, having something to do, etc.

I have so many windows open right now that I can't find the article about the t-shirts, but I remember it said that so far they have sold about 2,500 shirts at $12 a piece. Doing the math, that's $30,000.

I hope it was a misprint or misquote about wanting the money for Holly to use to take a vacation. Would a kidnapping survivor really want to take a vacation?

I'm not being facetious, that's a serious question.

ETA: Thank you, Ransom, for the link!

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-bob-friday,0,1689775.story

It could be someone who pretended to be LE, I suppose.

bobosearch4.jpg

This pic really made me tear up and my heart literally ache at the brutal reality of what is presently happening in this tiny community to this undeserving family who I am quite certain are living in pain and anguish that 9 days ago they never even knew existed.. Heart-wrenching!

ETA: http://twitpic.com/photos/willnunley

Here is what I do not get at all:

Why would you have people buy T-shirts that are not going towards the reward fund but instead all the money is going towards Holly herself?

Her mother said she wanted the donations from the T-shirts to go towards Holly so that when she gets back she can go on vacation or buy whatever she wants.

Does anyone have a link for this? Thanks.

The big advantage to trailing dog is that they can work in contaminated areas, meaning where others have been or are at the moment for that matter. A week is still well within most of our time tables (meaning we would be comfortable going out on a 7-10 day old trail). LE dogs do not generally training for that time table, and if you see the word "tracking" it most often means LE dogs, just fyi. Now, you do hit a point where if you have thousands of people walking around the area for a week that may be an issue. I don't know the specifics on that area though.

Sure seems like they really thought they were going to find something today... day seems like it dragged on with little or no information. Which seems to make me worry they really don't have much at all. That's concerning.

I struggle with that. I would assume (and it can be a big assumption) that LE has more knowledge than has been made public, and some things involved may just take more time than we would like. I think most people get the idea that crimes are solved quickly because we see hour-long, fictionalized tv shows that have instant test results, instant this, instant that, etc. But in real life it can take a lot of old fashioned detective work, paper work, interviewing, etc.

LE also will want to keep some info under wraps to the public so suspects can be questioned about details that only he would know (that were not common knowledge) or in some cases to protect the family (in cases of sexual assault, sensationalized stuff etc).

The other big case I followed closely was like this. When the story broke it was HUGE. National news. Wild rumors. Only the bare bones of the story were made available by LE. A lot of what was stated did not make sense or seemed to contradict itself. After a couple weeks, the case went COLD as far as news and media went. NOTHING. Not a peep. Just rumors, more rumors, bizarre rumors, blah blah blah. Then, out of the blue (as far as the public was concerned), about one month after the crime, LE announced they had a suspect named, they put out a BOLO for him, and he was arrested that night.

Soooooo... IDK

I think in this case the lack of ANY news, details, statements is starting to have a negative effect on the case as far as public support goes. People have been busting their butts for over a week with NOTHING. Hope and faith and prayer will only go so far before the realities of life set in and folks settle back into their old daily routines. If LE needs public support they must find a way to keep the public's interest and focus levels up.

Does anyone have a link for this? Thanks.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-bob-friday,0,1689775.story

T-shirts bearing the favorite scripture of Holly's mother were sold for the Holly Bobo Fund.

The proceeds are not going to the reward fund, but to Holly herself.

D'Lynn Burton, a close family friend and neighbor, helped sell the shirts. "Her mother asked me. When Holly comes home, she wants her to have some money so she can go on a vacation, or just treat herself with anything she wants."

So far 2,500 shirts have been sold at $12 apiece.

Yes. But the initial scents from her abduction will be gone after a week if they are using tracking dogs. In that case they would be looking for fresh scents. Cadaver dogs go for a different scent they have been trained to identify.

If you think about it, dogs are VERY good with scents. With sniffing dogs, for example, everyone has seen examples where they take pot (or explosives) and hide it, often in things (coffee, perfume, etc.) to mask the scent. But the dogs very often hit upon the item without too much effort.
Tracking dogs, yes, as they are likely LE dogs and don't train on it, trailing dogs no. Some of our best work has been on trails older than a week and so do a whole lotta other dogs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305