April 22 weekend of Sleuthiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sunshine, I have no idea how to quote an edited quote, so I will reply here.

1. Tying the shoes in the proper manner is the most difficult when trying to make it look like they were put on and tied by the person wearing the shoes.

2. If tampering evidence is present is there any thoughts that BC could not be responsible for this tampering?

3. How could any friends of NC know that BC was in his office at 1:15pm but was gone to lunch at 1:30pm simply by knowing which times NC called BC that day.

While all your thoughts are possible I wonder how possible they really are.

Really, you're hung up on this because it would be difficult to tie shoes? I think the sports bra is tougher, but again, imo, he wouldn't have left her like that. Also, there is a missing pair of black and red shorts. The ones she wore to the turkey trot that were never found.

Since she did speak to him while he was at lunch, if NC was with someone or told someone when she did speak to him, it would be fairly easy to take a stab at the time. Do you really believe he would be stupid enough to do that search and then just leave it there? And did you see the testimony on the cursor files? How do you explain the identical dates/times when it was supposed to be a dynamic file/search and what about the .bmp files?

Could BC be responsible? I don't know if we know his whereabouts on the 15th but why would he plant incriminating evidence on his own computer just to make it look like tampering? Does that make any sense?

Brad set the Cisco phone system up in their home in January, long before any 'divorce proceedings'. Nancy Cooper did not retain AS until April, IIRC.
Right, which is exactly my point. She had the suspicion that he was eavesdropping on her way before she went to the attorney. I would hope that she told the attorney about this suspicion. Then, the attorney sends her sensitive documents via e-mail? The thinking was that he snoops on phone calls but would never snoop on e-mail?

This is an interesting study worth taking a look at. They found that 36% of married individuals admitted to snooping on phones / e-mail. That's just the ones that admitted it. Keep in mind that this is just general married couples, not ones that hate each other. I suspect that the percentage goes way up during a contested divorce.

Say that the study was wrong by even 2x. That would mean that 18% of married people do such snooping. I'm pretty sure that 18% don't end up killing the spouse.

If so then why would BC spend a Saturday morning scrubbing floors. He would then be aware of NC and the initial divorce agreement in addition to NC having an affair. Now my scheduled tennis match has to be canceled so how do I react? I doubt the reaction is for me to scrub floors. While my wife is missing I doubt that I would be able to do all the laundry that was done.

Good point. The change in behavior by each of them could just have been from suddenly coming face to face with the harsh reality of their financial situation. Maybe BC had learned in his initial meeting with Rosen how North Carolina divorce law really worked and explained in turn to NC that her getting half the "assets" without half the debts was not going to happen.

Maybe also that further debt spent on the most expensive attorneys in the area would only make things worse. Many divorcing couple suddenly have such a revelatory moment. Often, one of them comes to that conclusion and "explains" it to the other.

What happens next varies, with some spending under $1000 on attorneys and moving on, others tens of thousands of dollar in a nasty fight.

I can only speculate on what was really going on inside their marriage.

And did you see the testimony on the cursor files? How do you explain the identical dates/times when it was supposed to be a dynamic file/search and what about the .bmp files?
What specifically related to the .bmp files are you referring to?

What specifically related to the .bmp files are you referring to?

The FBI/forensic document of the cursor files from the TIF were all .bmp extensions and JW testified that google map searches should leave a .cur extension file in the TIF.

How does a divorce works, I understand that one person can decide to initiate the divorce. But what happens if the other person decides that a divorce is not what they want. Do both people have to be in agreement for a divorce to proceed? I am only asking because I have no experience with a divorce and hopefully I will not ever have to experience this.

In North Carolina, twelve month separation then either party can file for divorce. "No fault" with assumption of "equitable" division of property. Alimony possible, but less common than most people think.

Separation agreement is not required, though many people file one which declares that from that point on they are financial separate, etc. and which clarifies some points in case either were to start dating someone else.

Divorce can be granted whether a property settlement has been agreed upon or not. Custody and support agreement for children will be imposed by court if a mutually agreed terms has not been reached.

This is a broad outline of the process here in NC. IMNAL and I have probably left out something important.

(Edited to highlight my comments)

Really, you're hung up on this because it would be difficult to tie shoes? I think the sports bra is tougher, but again, imo, he wouldn't have left her like that. Also, there is a missing pair of black and red shorts. The ones she wore to the turkey trot that were never found.

Since she did speak to him while he was at lunch, if NC was with someone or told someone when she did speak to him, it would be fairly easy to take a stab at the time. Do you really believe he would be stupid enough to do that search and then just leave it there? And did you see the testimony on the cursor files? How do you explain the identical dates/times when it was supposed to be a dynamic file/search and what about the .bmp files?

Could BC be responsible? I don't know if we know his whereabouts on the 15th but why would he plant incriminating evidence on his own computer just to make it look like tampering? Does that make any sense?

Without clothes the situation looks like a sexual attack or a possible sexual attack. With clothes on the murder looks way to clean, ie., there was no signs of struggle by NC. I know the body was badly decomposed and this my have masked evidence but I believe a person would give one hell of a fight if someone was strangling them.

About the shoes and tying them. Put your shoes on and tie them. Then put the shoes on your spouse or child and then tie them. After you have done both look at the knot on both shoes. They are not tied the same way and this is one clear sign that indicates a person did not tie their own shoes.

As far as tampering, again it makes just as much sense that BC did the tampering as it does for any neighbor, jealous lover, or LEO to do the tampering. Just because a phone was wiped clean does not open to the door to the possibility that evidence was planted. It makes more sense for physical evidence to be plant than it does for evidence to be planted on a computer that, when it comes down to it, is a shot in the dark that the person was in his office at the time the timestamps or evidence was planted.

As far as tampering, again it makes just as much sense that BC did the tampering as it does for any neighbor, jealous lover, or LEO to do the tampering. Just because a phone was wiped clean does not open to the door to the possibility that evidence was planted. It makes more sense for physical evidence to be plant than it does for evidence to be planted on a computer that, when it comes down to it, is a shot in the dark that the person was in his office at the time the timestamps or evidence was planted.

I am only going to address this point because the others are just are different opinions that we will never agree on:).

There are some interesting things from this trial though. Such as the mica testimony and CPD taking the shoes BC wore while searching for NC and having them analyzed. Were they hoping no one would notice those weren't the shoes he was wearing in the HT video? Why did they do that testing? And why did they present the results as evidence at all?

Why did they have the testimony about the piece of straw that was "remembered" 20 months after the fact?

Then the wiped phone.

Then the very evasive detectives on the stand.

Is is such a huge leap that they would plant this search on his computer? Not to me.

Why would it make sense for BC to put incriminating files on his computer of a search of Fielding Drive?

I explained that yesterday. I don't think that the .bmp files are unusual.

I don't know your background, but JW does this type of analysis for a living, he stated that they should be .cur files and I believe defense is planning to have a Google rep as a witness so I will wait for the testimony.

They would have needed Canadian passports to register the children in any school and avoid paying foreigner school fees (which was a couple of years down the road still). Without Canadian passports, it seems to me that the reality of moving was way down the line.

Ten directions at once. Talking about private schools 2-4 years before the children were old enough to attend, looking at the cost of a move, buying interview outfit in NC when she couldn't work in NC ... none of this tells me that there was any sort of plan, just two people exploring options.

The interview clothes was for Nancy to go on interview in TORONTO. Nancy had set up job interviews in Toronto. Brad bought her the 'interview outfit/s' for her job interviews in Toronto. Brad was looking at rental trucks to haul nancy and the girls things 'to Toronto'. None of this was for in the u.s. Brad said he wanted nancy and the girls out of the cary house by the end of april. These were the plans until brad saw the first draft of the separation agreement. At least that is what most of us think put the kabash on the toronto plans. Unless there was a different reason brad wanted nancy and the girls out of the house and in toronto by the end of april. Maybe french gf was coming...... who knows what is in brads head. but everyone agreed, brad was on board with nancy and the girls out of the country by the end of april. something happened to change all that.

It's more expensive to live in Paris with 2 children. After he allegedly killed NC, wouldn't BC have been their sole custodial parent? They would have had to go to France with him.

MOO, I doubt the kids ever played into it for Brad. My guess would be he knew nancy's family would not want the chldren to go to France. He would probably, once nancy's untimely death blew over, relinquish the children to nancy's sister, thinking the Rentz' would be ever so grateful to him for allowing them to keep the children while brad persued his careeer in Europe. MOO

It's more expensive to live in Paris with 2 children. After he allegedly killed NC, wouldn't BC have been their sole custodial parent? They would have had to go to France with him.

Opps, forgot to say, yes, it is more expensive to live in Paris, but when companies transfer people abroad, they usually are compensated to reside in the economy to which they are transferred. Often times there is a housing allowance to make up for the higher standard of liveing, etc.

And your explanation still leaves the strange issue that all the visible timestamps for each .bmp file have the idential values. All six values are identical.

How does one do a search where last access is the same for open hand and closed hand? At the same time that there is some issue with one or more of the 5(?) hidden timestamps for each file as indicated by the invalid timestamp shown on the report?

Maybe I am missing something. I admit that I have worked with XP and with 7, but not with Vista. And I cannot recreate exactly how Google worked back in 2008.

I also have to question why those and other files from the July 11 search would not have changed by any activity between then and when the computers were seized on July 15. I don't know which other Google apps shared those gstatic images/files and would also change some of the dates.

Right, which is exactly my point. She had the suspicion that he was eavesdropping on her way before she went to the attorney. I would hope that she told the attorney about this suspicion. Then, the attorney sends her sensitive documents via e-mail? The thinking was that he snoops on phone calls but would never snoop on e-mail?

This is an interesting study worth taking a look at. They found that 36% of married individuals admitted to snooping on phones / e-mail. That's just the ones that admitted it. Keep in mind that this is just general married couples, not ones that hate each other. I suspect that the percentage goes way up during a contested divorce.

Say that the study was wrong by even 2x. That would mean that 18% of married people do such snooping. I'm pretty sure that 18% don't end up killing the spouse.

IMO, and this is my opinion only, I think there is a difference between 'snooping', and having duplicate copies of each and every correspondence sent to himself. Again, this is my opinion. Snooping is one thing, going to the trouble of setting up the roadrunner account to duplicate everything is a whole 'nother can of worms. IMO, that is a whole nother level of 'snooping'.

A question. If NC had moved to Canada and was working there, would she still have standing to file for divorce in NC? BC certainly would.

Thank you again for that explanation. That is another reason that I think the testimony of JW had a definite agenda. He should have KNOWN why those files had the .bmp extension. Perhaps you should offer your services as an expert to the court. :)

Opps, forgot to say, yes, it is more expensive to live in Paris, but when companies transfer people abroad, they usually are compensated to reside in the economy to which they are transferred. Often times there is a housing allowance to make up for the higher standard of liveing, etc.

Hmmm, not too sure about that! It would have to be looked into further to accept that as the norm.
That certainly didn't happen for my partner and I when he was transferred by Price Waterhouse Coopers, which is one of the leading international companies.

A question. If NC had moved to Canada and was working there, would she still have standing to file for divorce in NC? BC certainly would.

I think this would have only impacted the property settlement. BC and North Carolina would probaby have jurisdiction. Its property here in NC, she is not in state, BC gets first rights. However, I don't know what the actual laws for this type of thing. IMNAL either. But waiting the mandatory time in Canda worked in NC favor, the children would be considered residents I would imagine. Canada would have jurisdiction over the custody part of it.

When my ex and I divorced, he had moved to another state, the kids stayed here in NC with me in the house we had bought together. He sued from that state but because the property and children were here my attny had moved to NC courts because the property/children were legal residents here, NC courts and jurisdiction. I don't know if that would be similar in a country to country situation though and possibly dealing with dual citizenship for the children.

I keep hoping we can get a legal opinion on that to clear up any misconceptions. So the divorce part, he could sue from NC, she could sue from Canda, custody property would take a lot longer to clear up.

Kelly

Thank you again for that explanation. That is another reason that I think the testimony of JW had a definite agenda. He should have KNOWN why those files had the .bmp extension. Perhaps you should offer your services as an expert to the court. :)

He was qualified by the court as an expert witness. Do you really believe he would risk tarnishing his reputation on pro-bono work for a complete stranger? Why would he do that? This is live broadcast open court and you're suggesting he was biased so he wasn't truthful about the files? I don't think so!

ETA: It's interesting you trust a complete stranger's opinion on an internet site more than an expert (deemed by a biased judge) in network security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes