Judge Eaton New WESH Trial Analyst

Well his comments can be interpreted as helpful to BOTH sides. If the SA really wants these photos IN, then they need to link them to KC's avoidance of home and to her statements regarding the visits to Fusion.

KC flat out stated she had gone to Fusion looking for information about Zanny...so IMO the bar top dancing is totally relevent to refute her statement about the nature of her club visits.

Logic would tell us that if her stated purpose for going to Fusion was to get info about Zanny and her whereabouts, the average juror will question why would she waste valuable time in her search to give an impromptu bartop dance recital??

Interesting to note as well in ICA's first interview she says she went to Fusion to ask random questions such as, "has anyone seen my nanny?" I haven't seen one interview so far where anyone at Fusion advises that ICA asked them about her nanny. Totally agree with you, ICA was there to search for Zanny and ask "random" questions about her - not have a partyfest. Relevant and those photos will come in.

Am I the only one more than a little concerned about the ethics of this? I mean it is one thing to have a respected legal scholar on hand to explain to the public how the system works and exactly what the rulings mean. But heaven forbid that the retired judge from that specific court and circuit, who trained the presiding judge in the case being heard, publicly takes issue with the presiding judges actions, opinions or rulings? What is the impact that has on the court? On the defendants rights to a fair trial? While this may ultimately be nothing worth worrying over, it somehow has the faint smell of something problematic and questionable.

I share your apprehension, fae ... something just doesn't sound right ... a respectable, retired judge from the same circuit teaming up with WESH who can't seem to get a story straight and factual ... and is obviously biased against the prosecution and establishment the way the defense team is ...
Why wouldn't a judge like this seek out a more reputable news station ?? Or is this a stepping stone to the be the next "Judge Napolitano" on national TV ?
Still, seems he could have picked a better starting point ... IMO
Guess we'll soon know what the deal is when he's starts analyzing :waitasec:

I haven't had a chance to read the thread yet, but wanted to make this comment...

I have no problem with a retired judge speculating with the rest of us about how a sitting judge may rule, or commenting on Florida law, or discussing different legal scenarios, etc.

But I have a huge problem if said retired judge were to take issue or disagree with a ruling made by a sitting judge... ANY judge. I, personally, just find that extremely distasteful and completely inappropriate.

However, that's JMHO.

I haven't had a chance to read the thread yet, but wanted to make this comment...

I have no problem with a retired judge speculating with the rest of us about how a sitting judge may rule, or commenting on Florida law, or discussing different legal scenarios, etc.

But I have a huge problem if said retiwred judge were to take issue or disagree with a ruling made by a sitting judge... ANY judge. I, personally, just find that extremely distasteful and completely inappropriate.

However, that's JMHO.

BBM
I guess I am more apprehensive about this judge commenting for this news station when the media hype for him states he "trained" HHJP. Somehow that suggests to me he should be seen as "superior" in ability - when apparently nothing to date we have seen verifies that implication.

Well, here's our first taste of Judge Eaton working for Wesh:

Wesh link to whole article: http://www.wesh.com/news/27657261/detail.html

So what do you all make of this? Does he sound pro defense? Kind of sounds like it to me so far.

What Judge Eaton neglects to mention, though, is that these pictures go to directly contradict what ICA said she was doing to find Caylee during the infamous 31 days. Maybe that doesn't make a difference, but I just can't imagine that it would not.

What Judge Eaton neglects to mention, though, is that these pictures go to directly contradict what ICA said she was doing to find Caylee during the infamous 31 days. Maybe that doesn't make a difference, but I just can't imagine that it would not.

Yes, Snaz - you are correct. Unlike Bill Scheaffer, Judge Eaton is using a narrow reference for the DT's interpretation of why the SA wants these photos in - to prove consciousness of guilt - which the SA did NOT use in their argument. As Bill S. pointed out, there are many reasons besides that one the SA wants them IN. Bill S. also pointed out Mason has used a very narrow view of the case law he quoted - Bill S. believes they are not intended to be used only like that.

BBM
I guess I am more apprehensive about this judge commenting for this news station when the media hype for him states he "trained" HHJP. Somehow that suggests to me he should be seen as "superior" in ability - when apparently nothing to date we have seen verifies that implication.

Well so far I have only found a reference to indicate that Eaton was on the Criminal Court steering committee.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SMhdQWWNaYgJ:www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBOrgan.nsf/54e05cd1c9d5551885256b61000b58d2/977ad9e818c980dd85256efc0049c425%3FOpenDocument+belvin+perry+jr.+trained+by+eaton&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

But I recall (backed up by link below) that during that hearing where Judge Perry commented about Judge Eaton leaving....that Mason made a comment about having well trained court reporters....to which HHJP responded that all court reporters were well trained. Hmmmmmmm was the comment by CM a "threat" to HHJP??

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TcBaE1d2jvcJ:sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/moving-along-casey-anthonys-attorneys.html+belvin+perry+jr.+trained+by+eaton&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

OMG! :thud: I am floored by this. I sure wish I could find the continuation of this... it says there is more on Judge Eaton the following night. I was willing to give Judge Eaton a wait and see... but no longer. Think I'll just stick with WFTV, Kathi Belich and Bill Shaeffer.

Thanks so much SOTS. You just saved me some time and :banghead:

BBM

That's another huge problem I have with this judge and WESH is the connection they made right off the bat about Judge Perry and the Anthony case ... it diminishes Judge Perry's reputation and experience ... promoting Judge Eaton as more knowledgeable and more experienced and quite possibly, a better judge ... JMO ... reading between the lines ...
But then, we are talking about WESH who, IMO, has major credibility issues ... major ... :dunno:

BBM

I'm kind of wondering when, where and how this "training" took place. There are only 3 years separating the time these 2 judges were first elected to their positions and they are in different counties. They didn't ever actually work together as far as I can see. I'd like to know more about this "training". Guess I'm not buying what WESH is selling.

:dunno: I googled him. Not particularly liking what I am seeing. He has been unpopular because of some of his decisions, and I can see why. In the back of my head, I am wondering a) Why he was so highly regarded? b) Did he really simply retire?

I suppose those in the legal arena may see him differently than what I am seeing.

I don't like it, don't have to, will boycott WESH. jmo

Wow so we're going to have commentary from a Judge who says a 20 year old having sex with a 12 year old isn't a rapist? Talk about ZERO credibility. I'm getting visions of good-ole-boy network in my head. Unbelievable that people like that are tolerated in this day and age. FL Bar needs to wake up and start getting real.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back