2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE Afternoon Session

Status
Not open for further replies.
HHJP: it is a process of weighing and the weighing is up to you.

yes

HHJP: any hesitation or reservation in my giving you the law?

no

JA: in responding to types of murder you said, heinous, what do you mean?

cutting up, cruel and unusual.

JA: some of what you said in defining heinous may be right and some not. what ever preconcived notion you have you have no issue with doing what law/judge instructs?

not at all.

JA: ever follow a case?

OJ Simpson

JA: any other case? execution that was schedualed?

no. never had a real strong opinion either way.

JA: do you have a particular crime where death would be the presumed punishment?

a serial murder where more people that are involved. people that have killed over and over again.

yes.

JA: you would have to listen to everything before decide.

possibly a mental condition would cause me...

JA: okay mitigating factors...

yes.

JA: thank you.

:tyou:

I may be wrong and will try and find the tape of it....but, when JA said the state would challenge on the lady PJ, before he said why, CM popped up and told the judge that the lady was AA. HHJP said we all know that. JA then based his challenge on this lady saying she can't judge people. NOTHING was said about race except by CM!! JA brought up another reason for the challenge, HHJP bit his head off and that was that. JA will, no doubt, use one of the strikes to get rid of her. I hope he does.

Thanks Amster. Your recollection is the same as mine is regarding this issue.

AF questions not even pertinent to this case. How could he be swayed by public opinion when they are going to be sequestered>>>

REMINDER

This thread will close at 5:00 PM EDT. There is an evening thread ready to go:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136066"]Jury Evening Session[/ame]

I may be wrong and will try and find the tape of it....but, when JA said the state would challenge on the lady PJ, before he said why, CM popped up and told the judge that the lady was AA. HHJP said we all know that. JA then based his challenge on this lady saying she can't judge people. NOTHING was said about race except by CM!! JA brought up another reason for the challenge, HHJP bit his head off and that was that. JA will, no doubt, use one of the strikes to get rid of her. I hope he does.

I'm just so disgusted by the defense trying to use the race card. Second he really has to be desperate to resort to it.

AF: if someone disagreed with you would you relinquish a belief just because someone disagreed with you.

I would listen to someone to see why they feel that way.

AF: would you relinquish a belief because they disagree?

no

AF: vice versa?

no

AF: one should not bring an outside influence. one should not be influenced by outside things. ex: media, public opinion. can you keep public opinion out and give a verdict based on the application of the law?

not a problem at all.

AF: mitigating circumstances might let a juror to life being the case... (she was using the v o i c e again... :hypno:

AF: a juror to think that life was the app penalty and those are cir about the case or about the defenders char or back ground.

yes.

Wonder if Sims just discovered our thread on Rosalie in this forum and went into panic mode? :great:

:great::great::great:

:seeya: DS
:seeya: RB
:seeya: CM
:seeya: JB

Oh :seeya: "paralegal wannabe"

:seeya:

Far be it from me to agree with the media pundits, but this is the first time I have ever questioned HHJP. He needs to lighten up. One more week is not going to hurt anything at this point.

I agree, but look how hard it has been to keep the jurors that have been retained off of Facebook and other stuff (news, radio, family, friends) already. If they had to sit in holding pattern at least another week, I fear outside contamination.

Unless HHJP would sequester the jurors they already have and keep ploughing through the potentials. Baring that, I think HHJP is trying to seat the jury and sequester them all at once.

To me, lots has happened. JA used one of his peremptory challenges on a lady who sounded confused at best to me. It was objected to by JB as racially motivated and his objection was sustained. I am very worried about this lady and that she will cause a hung jury. She seems incapable of understanding basic questions, let alone complex expert testimony and she doesn't like to judge people.

I missed this juror..but I remember her from the other day and IMO Judge Perry should have dismissed her...I am concerned for the same reasons you mention above

Boy, Ann is nothing less than a Bulldog!!

She will try to find any spot in the fence under which to dig into private property.

Clearly we see the strategy and motive.......because otherwise....she would have learned that lesson by this point.

I'm sorry. Still stunned and hung up on the last juror. It all happened so fast. Mistrial is now a huge, huge possibility to me in this case. I thought justice was coming soon and now I am very worried that there is a good possibility it will have to wait for a couple of years. Sorry to be so dramatic but my professional instinct is very worried.

I have a lunch meeting to go to in a few and hopefully I will feel less negatively later on but for now I have lost my enthusiasm.

I had an important call and missed everything about this PJ other than it's a male. Can someone briefly update......what's his job, any reason to think this one might not be a good juror?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I tend to hope her answer about judging people from what others say was representative of her life experiences, like not believing in gossip.
Of course JA is looking at all answers from a legal standpoint, where this lady can only speak from her own experiences.
This may be a tempest in a teapot.

I really think this is what this lady was talking about and not judging because of race. It really is a very sensitive issue which sometimes spills over into personal conversations without them realizing it. The problem is they did not really speak with her long enough to get an idea of how she felt. I would imagine she felt very uncomfortable with the questions but that does not mean she would not be a good juror. jmo

they must really think they have strong enough mitigating factors to actually even entertain "mercy"

I'm sure he does. But if you watch that exchange he revealed his own bias very clearly. I have admired him since we first saw him, but I think we saw a weakness there and it offended JA (and me). I am very anti-racist people, but it's not good to have an AA on the Jury just to be 'fair' if that particular person is one that does not seem to be able to grasp the simplest of theories.
If 11 of the Jurors were AA that would be fine with me, but if they then put a dumb white person on the Jury to ensure diversity I would be just as annoyed.

I could not agree more with your post. That lady doesn't belong on this jury for many reasons, none of which involve her race. None of us here knew her race and we all came to the same conclusion that she can't grasp the issues that will be presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie