Match! MO - St Louis Co, WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

Hi Chaddylex,
I’m not prepared to give up hope in this match at all.
For 20 years I worked in a field that demanded precise and accurate paper work. It was required that we double and triple check our work. Part of my job included verifying the accuracy of another persons work. Let me just say that I would find so many mistakes that sometimes it was beyond belief. And it wasn’t necessarily because of incompetence; the mistakes could merely be a result of being interrupted and being under time constraints for deadlines. That being said, these profiles entered into a database can and quite possibly do have errors. I would never consider anything as “the word of God” that has been manually entered into a system.
As for the body scan not matching the “memory” of the family. I can tell you in my family, no two members will remember a family story the same way. What one member may remember their mother saying could have been a mother’s exaggeration. I haven’t heard if medical records have been obtained to confirm the family’s recollections, so I would tend to discount those as well, without solid confirmation.
All that being said, I’m still holding out hope on this match too.

I was wondering too if some of the paperwork entered into Namus, about the UID's dental work could be wrong, or it might not have mentioned every physical characteristic that was found on the body, broken pelvis etc... (Cynthia's daughter stated the officer she spoke with thought the UID had a broken pelvis, but that doesn't mean that is was listed on the UID's Namus case file) Like Billylee has said, DNA doesn't lie... I am not giving up hope either until I hear from Cynthia's daughter or Tracey Lehmen that this UID has been ruled out as being Cynthia Day!

I heard from Cynthia's Daughter yesterday. The first extraction of DNA from the UID I had submitted was unsuccessful, they are going to try again in the next few weeks. They have a new detective on the case, I guess they have been giving the family the run around still... Still staying positive... hoping for answers for the family... That is all the info I received..

I heard from Cynthia's Daughter yesterday. The first extraction of DNA from the UID I had submitted was unsuccessful, they are going to try again in the next few weeks. They have a new detective on the case, I guess they have been giving the family the run around still... Still staying positive... hoping for answers for the family... That is all the info I received..

Thanks for the update Chaddylex.
I really can't help but wish this family had a strong advocate to intercede for them with the police, but like we said earlier, they seem to be willing to wait it out. Just ignore me, I like to put the pedal to the metal.

Can I ask why you are contacting Mo? East St Louis is in Illinois (about 45 min from me).

On this page it says to contact East St Louis PD and that is a IL phone # (618 area code)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/day_cynthia.html

Just wondering - I probably over looked something.

I contacted the Police Dept that was listed on the NAMUS site of the unidentified body..... (it was found in Missouri) Actually last December when I started looking at this possible match, I contacted Cynthia's contact listed in IL and received NO response, so then I also decided to contact the contact person for the UID.

Cynthia's family has not had much luck with the detectives that were supposed to be handling her case in the IL area. It is a shame...

Thanks for the update Chaddylex.
I really can't help but wish this family had a strong advocate to intercede for them with the police, but like we said earlier, they seem to be willing to wait it out. Just ignore me, I like to put the pedal to the metal.

Brassband,

I totally agree with you. I wish they did have some pull to get the things done, it's going to be a year that this possible match etc has been going on. It's been over 20 years since Cynthia has been missing.

I have no patience to begin with, so I know I would probably be going nuts right now if this was my mom missing with a possible match, and just wanting closure. The poor family has been waiting for years for answers, they probably are just used to waiting...

I am not sure from which side the detective she is working with is from, the UID side or the dept that was handling Cynthia's case to begin with..

I don't want to pry too much, I am just glad I have opportunity to have contact with Cynthia's daughter.

Can I ask why you are contacting Mo? East St Louis is in Illinois (about 45 min from me).

On this page it says to contact East St Louis PD and that is a IL phone # (618 area code)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/day_cynthia.html

Just wondering - I probably over looked something.

I agree, it is another jurisdiction (work for SLMPD). Someone who I assume was from Saint Louis County claimed it to be the same jurisdiction. It is another jurisdiction. Also think this is an excellent match and the person who submitted it has submitted other great matches; some which have been correct. Hope the family gets answers one way or the other.

The are having a hard time trying to find Cynthia's dentals. The dentist she went to shortly before she disappeared no longer has her dental records. I told her daughter to see if she can find out if she had an prior dentists.

They also couldn't get enough DNA extracted from the hairband they found from the UID.

I just was in contact with Cynthia's daughter this past Saturday. I told her to see if she had some prior xrays, something to help move this along. I guess the police basically have the family doing all the investigating... very sad.

I wonder why they just can't show the family a photo of the earrings that the UID was wearing when found? If the earrings aren't their mother's then at least they could move on with their search.

ETA: Why use a hairband for dna when you've got bones? Are there no bones now?
I mean it would sure make identifying the UID easier if the dna was on file.

just a hunch on my part.

when the body was found in 1990 DNA it was not standard practice to collect DNA samples from UIDs. (they had her body, not just her bones, so they could have easily taken quality samples)

the hair band was preserved as crime scene evidence and not buried with the body. so to avoid the expense of exhuming a body, they attempted to test the hair.

who knows if the UID is in a marked grave or a Potter's Field which might make it impossible to exhume a body now.

I wonder why they just can't show the family a photo of the earrings that the UID was wearing when found? If the earrings aren't their mother's then at least they could move on with their search.

Hi Brassband! I haven't heard from you in awhile.. (haven't posted about Cynthia since the family keeps hitting roadblocks, but have been in frequent contact with them).. Anywho...

LE did show the daughters the earrings from the UID, they were almost positive that they were Cynthia's, but that was over 20 years ago, so their memory is a little fogged.. (I know I wouldn't remember exactly what earrings my mom had 20 years ago)

I am not sure about why they tried to get DNA from the hairband and not the bones...

I know it did take time even to get the DNA from Cynthia's daughters.. They waited for months then LE came back and said they didn't get enough and had to do the test again... Well, they now have the DNA from the daughters, got to get some from the UID somehow.. (not sure where the body is now, but before they did bury her, she was in a research lab for years)

So basically, I think LE is being lazy and they want the daughters to go on a wild goose chase trying to locate Cynthia's dentals...

Praying they get answers soon... it's been too long!!

Chaddylex, you must feel weary by now. Thank you for keeping on top of this. I hope this UID will have her name soon.

Thanks for keeping up with this, Chaddylex. So hard.

Is there a state cold case unit who might be willing to get involved? Just a thought.

Chaddy,

Your tenacity is inspiring, and remember to keep the faith that this Jane Doe will be identified. :)

Thank you for your work on this case- and to everyone on this board, never stop looking, you never know what you'll figure out tommorrow!

Appreciating today, hopeful for tommorrow.
Snuf

Thanks for not giving up - I'm so impressed with your work on this case!!!!

thanks everyone for the kind words... I am getting mad for the family that it is taking this long for an ID, the family feels that this is her... they just need either dentals or DNA...

A lot of my friends know that I am on this site and made an ID 2 last week, and one of my zumba members found out (through another friend) and cried because she said it was so touching that I try and match the missing with the unidentified... She said so many people are missing and most people don't care!

So what we do here is very touching and appreciated from people that don't even have a family member missing... It makes me feel good!

Let's all keep up the great work, and help bring the missing home!

Have you heard anything new chaddylex?

Not for about a month. I guess they have a new person on the case on Cynthia's side trying to help the family out. They have being running into constant roadblocks. I am hoping they get some kind of closure soon...

I am from St Louis, Have any of you contacted Riverfront Times or KDHX? Perhaps they can help? Also perhaps Contact 2 ( local news station that runs segments about odd concerns IE cold cases) I am not sure about this but MAYBE Jennifer Joyce (AG) or Dr.Mary Case ( ME) could maybe light a fire?Dr case is STL city ME but as she is cheif at a large city, maybe her office and can help. Also there is Major Case Squad, it investigates murders that cross over to ILL.

Good Luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back