TX TX - Comfort, Guadalupe Rvr bridge I-10, Wht/HispFem 17-26, UP7212, overbite, heart surgery, Mar'10

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2046535780045078242S600x600Q851_zps02911f6b.jpg

Investigators in Kendall County are trying to unravel a mystery after finding human remains under the Guadalupe River Bridge.

That bridge supports Interstate 10, near the town of Comfort .

Read More:
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/human-remains-found-under-bridge

Vital Stats:
Height: 5'1" to 5'5"
Dentals: Obvious overbite with some dental discoloration and abnormalities
Physical Characteristics: surgical stitches along her sternum, which would indicate some kind of open heart surgery at an early age. - Medical issues with ankles which may have necessitated crutches or wheelchair.

An autopsy revealed the remains had been in that location for an estimated 2 to 10 years.

“Once we got it uncovered, there was about an 80-percent skeleton there and the way it was laid… that tells you it has been there for a while,” Lt. Shad Prichard said.

Through the use of modern science, forensic researchers determined the woman’s age along with some additional information. They estimated the woman’s age is between 24 and 27.

"We know she's a Hispanic mix female, she would have been medium built. She has some issues with her ankles so she may of have a limp possibly crutches and on the extreme level she could have been in a wheel chair," Lt. Shad Prichard said.

According to investigators, the woman also appeared to have undergone open heart surgery at an early age. She also had a distinctive overbite and one eye is slightly higher than the other, as well as her eyebrows.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Dep...to-help-solve-mysterious-death-115780019.html

Here are a couple of cases, but neither of them have any mention of orthopedic issues.:

Jennie Samantha Cummings
cummings_jennie.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cummings_jennie.html
Her teeth appear to be reasonably similar, and she has a similar facial shape. She has abdominal scars, but the scars described of the UID are at chest-level. And there is nothing in the way of orthopedic issues or circumstances that would place her in that part of Texas (after being last seen in El Paso).

Laurie Pineda
pineda_laurie.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pineda_laurie.html
She was lost in a flooding river not far from where the body was found. However, from what I can tell by looking at Google maps satellite views, it appears that the location where she was last seen is downstream from where the body was found.

This guy was missing in Comfort TX in 1987 after the bus in which he was riding was swept away by high waters. It says that there were 42 other passengers.

John Clinton Bankston
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/8845/16

I wonder if he was the only one of the 43 passengers who is unaccounted for. One would think they would have considered that though, when trying to ID this Jane Doe.

NY Times suggests that of the ten killed in the 1987 crash, only John Bankston is missing.

Laurie Pineda looks like a possibility although the medical issues don't make sense for someone who'd seen active duty - and how could she have gotten upstream unless her passenger's story doesn't hold true? Still needs a look IMO.

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've been on the UID threads. A new UID was just posted on Doe Network and I apologize if there's already a thread for it. I can't seem to get a URL to the page directly so I'm going to paste all the info from the page below - if you are looking for it on Doe it's Hot Case 2400:

hotcase2400.jpg

Unidentified White and/or Hispanic Female

* The victim was discovered on March 6, 2010 in Kendall County, Texas.
* Estimated Date of Death: 1 to 10 years prior.
* State of Remains: Unknown.
* Cause and Manner of Death: Homicide.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated Age: 17-26 years old.
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0" to 5'4" and unknown weight.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Unknown hair and eye color.
Race is believed to be White or Hispanic, or an admixture of both.
* Medical: Open chest surgery as a child or adolescent and some
deformities to the feet. She may have had to use crutches, wheelchair or a walker.

* Dentals: Available. The decedent had extensive dental work.
* DNA: Available.
* Fingerprints: Not available.

Case History
The victim was found off of I-10 near the Guadalupe River Bridge on March 6, 2010, in Kendall County, Texas.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Investigating Agency:
Texas Department of Public Safety
Missing Persons Clearinghouse
1-800-346-3243 or 1-512-424-5074

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: U1006001

NCIC Number: N/A

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Texas Department of Public Safety

Since the timeline and most of the distinguishing characteristics are pretty broad, I am focusing on the skeletal and dental issues present to narrow down the search. I'm seeking your feedback on these potential matches.

I'm looking at white and Hispanic women in this age range who went missing from 2000 to 2010 in Texas. A few of the possibilities I've found are:

I'm going to post this now and then post my findings below.

The Laurie Pineda page also says that Pineda was an Iraq vet who was wounded in battle - I wonder if that could be what the injuries/open heart surgery on the UID is from?

Has Pineda been called in as a possible match on this UID yet?

the article says that the open heart surgery was at an early age - if this problem was resolved early, it might not have prevented Laurie Pineda from serving in the military. Also, the ankle issues in the UID could have been the injuries Pineda incurred when she was wounded in Iraq - which she received the Silver Star for. The description does not say that the ankle issues had to have happened when she was young - just that it would mean the person has a disability now. So I think it's still a really good fit - probably the best I've seen thus far, and I've looked at descriptions for half the missing women in Texas so far.

Someone should call it in.

the article says that the open heart surgery was at an early age - if this problem was resolved early, it might not have prevented Laurie Pineda from serving in the military. Also, the ankle issues in the UID could have been the injuries Pineda incurred when she was wounded in Iraq - which she received the Silver Star for. The description does not say that the ankle issues had to have happened when she was young - just that it would mean the person has a disability now. So I think it's still a really good fit - probably the best I've seen thus far, and I've looked at descriptions for half the missing women in Texas so far.

Someone should call it in.

I have not called her in. I looked pretty closely at the satellite views of where she was lost, and where the body was found and it looked to me like her body would have had to have gone upstream to get to that location.

I will be busy tomorrow morning, and will not have too much time to call it in. But feel free to call it in if you feel strongly enough about it.

NY Times suggests that of the ten killed in the 1987 crash, only John Bankston is missing.

Laurie Pineda looks like a possibility although the medical issues don't make sense for someone who'd seen active duty - and how could she have gotten upstream unless her passenger's story doesn't hold true? Still needs a look IMO.

I would think the passenger's story was true. if the Doe Network story is accurate, he was clinging to a tree surrounded by raging flood waters. that is an extremely risky way to cover one's tracks if the person disposed of a body much further upstream.

There are ways for bodies to get moved upstream in flood waters -- backwashes, for instance. Body dragged by an animal. Or the passenger might have made a mistake about the crossing location. Or he might not have been telling the complete truth. Maybe he fell in while dumping the body.

She looks far too close to not call in just because of that.

I found this article on a different skull that was found in March 2011, a few miles downstream from where Naomi Pineda was last seen.

http://haysfreepress.com/archives/18052

The skull is currently being tested at University of North Texas.

Laurie Pineda
pineda_laurie.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pineda_laurie.html
She was lost in a flooding river not far from where the body was found. However, from what I can tell by looking at Google maps satellite views, it appears that the location where she was last seen is downstream from where the body was found.

I found this article on a different skull that was found in March 2011, a few miles downstream from where Laurie Pineda was last seen.

http://haysfreepress.com/archives/18052

The skull is currently being tested at University of North Texas.

The remains found in March 2011 (not the UID that is the subject of this thread) were positively identified as Laurie Pineda.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...011/12/21/remains_of_missing_24yearold_i.html

This is sad - it sounds like she had already lived quite a difficult life, and it seems to have ended just as harshly. :(

I was searching for other missing persons when I came across Michelle Crawford. She fits all the categories of the UID:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1769dfok.html

Michelle's vital in comparison:

Vital Statistics

* Estimated Age: 17-26 years old. Michelle was 21 when she went missing.
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0" to 5'4" and unknown weight. Michelle's height is listed as: 5'3
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Unknown hair and eye color.
Race is believed to be White or Hispanic, or an admixture of both.
* Medical: Open chest surgery as a child or adolescent and some
deformities to the feet. She may have had to use crutches, wheelchair or a walker. Michelle had previous Heart Surgery
* Dentals: Available. The decedent had extensive dental work.
* DNA: Available.
* Fingerprints: Not available.

She seems to resemble the UID to me.

Attachments

• remains_20110210180558_320_240.jpg
    remains_20110210180558_320_240.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
  • MichelleCrawford.jpg
    MichelleCrawford.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 20
I've submitted Michelle Crawfords name to the Kendall County Police Dept.

Here's her NAMUS link and rule-outs:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7212

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

Mindy Arnett
Kelli Cox
Alicia Digna
Crystal Hall
Nadia Kersh
Sherry Milton
Kyla Porter
Susan Powell
Christina Rodriguez
Dorothy Rosier
Patricia Schmidt
Toni Sharpless
Megan Tinsley
Christina Whittaker

LE has emailed me back and unfortunately Michelle Crawford is not a match. I was hopeful that this would help provide closure for her family if this was her. They compared mtDNA with the UID and Michelle's mother and they did not match. Michelle's name should be added to list of rule-outs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back