Delay revealed-Motion to determine competency filed by defense

I haven't been following all this as closely as you folks have, so forgive the intrusion. But here is what I think happened...

It was a delaying tactic, but not as a "hail Mary, let's try to save her". Rather, because of all the attempts at declaring this a mistrial, I think that this was designed to keep the jury busy throughout the 4th of July.

Why?

Because the Judge promised the jurors they'd be out by the 4th, would be able to take their vacations/spend time with family, et cetera. If it can be demonstrated that the judge promised something to the jurors, and "lied", then a mistrial would be a reasonable remedy. It would foster illwill towards the court, and would also be an issue on appeal, as well.

That's my idea...and worth about zip; it will be interesting to read the motion.

Best-
Herding Cats

Worth much more than zip!!!!! ITA except I believe the jury will see this as a failure of the defense not the judge. There weren't delays like this during the states CIC. :seeya:

I haven't been following all this as closely as you folks have, so forgive the intrusion. But here is what I think happened...

It was a delaying tactic, but not as a "hail Mary, let's try to save her". Rather, because of all the attempts at declaring this a mistrial, I think that this was designed to keep the jury busy throughout the 4th of July.

Why?

Because the Judge promised the jurors they'd be out by the 4th, would be able to take their vacations/spend time with family, et cetera. If it can be demonstrated that the judge promised something to the jurors, and "lied", then a mistrial would be a reasonable remedy. It would foster illwill towards the court, and would also be an issue on appeal, as well.

That's my idea...and worth about zip; it will be interesting to read the motion.

Best-
Herding Cats

Excellent observation.
But, experts have commented that, the longer a jury is held, the more they seem to hold it against the defendant.

I am wondering. The video snip of ICA having her little tantrum at the table Sat and pointing ..
Did that happen before or after things came to a halt..
Before.

I'm dying to read this motion!

I think that this might not be a simple ploy by the defense. I can imagine the the DT has been trying to work with KC. As we have all noted, she has bizarre behavior and is over involved at the table. She is probably trying to run the show and preventing the DT (in particular CM) from making certain decisions.

I think that a big reason why the DT is running so far in the ditch is because of their client and her misdirections, lies, fits, and overall "princess-it's-all-about-MEEEE" behavior.

Looking back on Saturday (and the minute by minute video), I don't think ICA wanted to be evaluated, and it was JB that wanted her to have it. She was so angry at him. IMHO a last ditch effort by the DT and this went against ICA wishes. Being the narcassist that she is, she cares about what others think about her. The last thing she wanted out there was that she was crazy for coco puffs.

JMO

Mel

I remember just before trial began, Mark Lippman made a comment about G & C being very concerned about ICA's state of mind and IIRC he used the phrase "competency to stand trial."

Now we know she is competent in the legal sense. But I don't think she is easy to work with. I can see her being very demanding and manipulative.

Yep, like a big snothead!lol

oh ... looks like ICA had a busy day on Saturday while i was on the grass at an outdoor concert watching Great Big Sea perform! Oh that makes me feel better!!!!

She spent all day being analyzed!

Honestly, she probably enjoyed being on stage all day Sat and Sun with these male professionals!

Right - which to me confirms (IMHO) that ICA didn't want to do it, and was whisked away by Michelle into the holding cell. JB and CM did it anyway, and went into the cell and told her so. She came out waving her hands in the air like WTH?

Just my opinion - please and thanks.

Mel

ICA Psychology Evaluations so far…

Procknow DCF worker 7/20/08

Dr. Steven Gold had a 4 hour interview On 7/23/10 Bond Hearing

Dr. Jeffrey A Danziger At the 7/22/08 Bond Hearing per request of DT

Dr. Alan S. Berns At the 7/22/08 Bond Hearing per request of DT

Dr. Henry McClarin On 6/25/2011

Dr. Ryan Hall On 6/25/2011

Dr. Dan Trexler On 6/25/2011

Oh yeah and Greif Nurse Sally Karioth

Looks like she is not that great of an Actor, and they found her Competent to stand Trial.

However this more than likely this cost well over $10,000 to the Florida Tax payers.

IMO, she was deemed "competent" because it was an ACCIDENT!!! Remember????? :crazy:

My take...THIS MEANS SHE IS NOT TESTIFYING.

She probably mentioned the incest many times to get it on the record

Smart move - EXCEPT it is powerful - competent people don't act the way she did. Now the jury will think she purposely acted evil

In an earlier post someone posted that the reasons they do competency tests is because the defendant wants to change something in their story. So, what is she now trying to change? Or what is she adding to mix. jmo

Looking back on Saturday (and the minute by minute video), I don't think ICA wanted to be evaluated, and it was JB that wanted her to have it. She was so angry at him. IMHO a last ditch effort by the DT and this went against ICA wishes. Being the narcassist that she is, she cares about what others think about her. The last thing she wanted out there was that she was crazy for coco puffs.

JMO

Mel

I agree with this. I think she was really mad that they were questioning her competency . She was all smiley this morning because they found her competent.

#CaseyAnthony A judge friend says lawyers request competency evals if client gives new, inconsistent info. or rejects reasonable plea offer.by bobkealing via twitter at 9:25 AM

If this actually has anything to do with this case, i would wonder if ICA wanted to backtrack and say LA never molested her? especially after the emotional testimony on Friday....

JMO

Mel

Does anyone have a link to the video? I must'a missed that part or maybe IS was doing a commercial during her rant. Anyway....I'd love to see it if someone has a link! TIA

In an earlier post someone posted that the reasons they do competency tests is because the defendant wants to change something in their story. So, what is she now trying to change? Or what is she adding to mix. jmo

Or...it was the only way to get the incest stuff in - since they were probably shut down on that at sidebar?

But why now?? Why didn't they do this a long time ago? That's what I don't understand. How can you suddenly decide, mid-trial, that you aren't competent?? I'm just amazed that it can happen this way. I realize it HAS to be done if requested because it's a huge appeal issue but still. Isn't it obvious that it's just a last-ditch attempt to get out of paying for her crime??

There was a previous competency hear awhile back. This recent one sounds like a sudden event because of an issue with ICA. Like she made odd statements, changed her story, added to her story, refused a reasonable plea deal etc.

Kinda explains the tweets about CM yelling at JB and ICA behind closed doors.

Right - which to me confirms (IMHO) that ICA didn't want to do it, and was whisked away by Michelle into the holding cell. JB and CM did it anyway, and went into the cell and told her so. She came out waving her hands in the air like WTH?

Just my opinion - please and thanks.

Mel
I suspect she found the idea rather insulting. It would be fascinating to read them. This morning the TH's were reporting the ICA was reading intently and mouthed 'Wow' several times while she did.
I'm just trying to figure out what prompted it seemingly out of the blue. She appears competent IMO. Even the passive aggressive episode caught on tape is justifiable. A reasonable person might be expected to be angry that their lead counsel was repeatedly acting in contempt of court. :twocents:

#CaseyAnthony A judge friend says lawyers request competency evals if client gives new, inconsistent info. or rejects reasonable plea offer.by bobkealing via twitter at 9:25 AM

If this actually has anything to do with this case, i would wonder if ICA wanted to backtrack and say LA never molested her? especially after the emotional testimony on Friday....

good point. think she honestly felt bad for her brother. But, hell, how would she say that..."never mind...lied about LA, but believe me, I still got abused by GA."??? that would put her in much greater jeopardy as far as any shred of believability she's got.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back