Delay revealed-Motion to determine competency filed by defense

Was just re-watching ICA's odd behavior when she entered the courtroom this morning. She was smiling and looked bright eyed, had that look like the cat that ate the canary. I think she is HAPPY she was declared competent because she is biting at the bit to get on that stand and TELL the jury EXACTLY what happened. Afterall, she is "SUCH a good liar", she will have no trouble conning them into seeing things her way.

she was escastic leafing thru the fl. death ruling papers they are filing.

and she was emoting and agreeing with everyone near her

all the atty's that supposedly pizzed her off sat.

had noting to do with the competency issue

imo

" If she has been turning on her lawyers, they probably wonder if she really gets it. CM may have recognized the need to determine, in writing, that KC does understand the severity of her situation.[/QUOTE]"

I think this is entirely possible and would be a legitimate rason to ask for a competency evaluation. If KC truly doesn't seem to comprehend the severity of her situation, they had a right and obligation to request the evaluations.

That being said, KC is more competent to stand trial than MANY high profile defendants. The Elizabeth Smart kidnappers were crazier than just about any I have ever seen, yet they were found competent to stand trial. Our legal system allows that people who are severely mentally ill can be found competent as long as they had the ability ti understand the difference between right and wrong. It is very rare that people get off with an insanity defense or are found incompetent, even in cases as severe mental illness.

When the DT and PT were in the judges chambers with the court reporter it looked like CA got a text. She was talking to the guy next to her then she reached down, put on her glasses and started reading. GA was looking at it too. Look at her eye.

CA eye.png

After CA got the message it looked like GA said "OMG"

ca eye 3.png

Not caught up on the thread, but my immediate thought is just because ICA may be (and is likely) a PITA client, does not mean she is incompetent.

jmo

I was going to post that too as soon as I saw his name I recognized it!

That is hilarious... they are running out of doctors or just don't care if they have given an opinion before... :floorlaugh:

Then again her "experienced" defense attorney also said she was guilty before he took the case... so I guess that shouldn't surprise me. :waitasec:

Morning! I'm sorry if this has been put out there already... I'm at work and pressed for time:

(article snipped but I've attached the link)

Psychologists: Jailhouse letters offer insight into Casey Anthony’s life behind barsBy Sarah Lundy, Orlando Sentinel
2:01 a.m. EDT, April 11, 2010

The letters Casey Anthony penned in jail show an immature woman who needs attention and adoration from others.

That's what three psychologists gleaned from reviewing dozens of Anthony's hand-written notes and letters to a fellow inmate at the Orange County Jail. The doctors agreed to read and give insight from the letters at the request of the Orlando Sentinel.

"She is spending most of her time in isolation with no audience. She has no outlet for the stuff that goes through her mind," said Dr. Daniel Tressler, a forensic psychologist based in Altamonte Springs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-casey-anthony-letters-analyzed-20100411,0,2547677.story

I was floored when I heard the news this morning. I never ever considered the possibility that ICA could be declared incompetent to stand trial. She has some issues, but she is not insane. However, I do not feel like this was just a last ditch effort by the DT. I feel that they must have some valid reason to be concerned over her competency. JP would have wanted reasons as to why the DT wanted her evaluated. Something must have happened; an outburst by ICA; maybe she insists on taking the stand; ...I have no idea. I would LOVE to find out what happens behind the scenes. But I do think CM (and JP) felt the evaluation was warranted.

I'm with you - I totally think this was a last-ditch effort by the DT - also I think someone on InSession brought up that there could be grounds for an appeal (I'm not sure exactly how to describe but I know what they are getting at). My reaction was to LAUGH when I heard this motion though - CA is not mentally ill nor incompetent. She knows fully what is going on and exactly what she is doing. She can calmly sit still for hours through testimony, doesn't sing hymns in the courtroom like Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper, doesn't have to be restrained, and while most certainly emotionally immature, she probably has an above-average IQ. (If they really wanted this motion to stick, she should have tried acting out in court more early on in the trial). And she knows when to turn on the waterworks when needed - she knows the emotions she needs to fake at certain times. She's just a classic narcissistic sociopath with a huge ego that would prevent her from ever telling anyone the truth or taking a plea, which is what most be so frustrating for the defense.

I must admit though - it excited me that the motion might open the door for forensic psychiatrists to get on the stand and testify as to her competency - and her sociopathy and narcissism as well. She is a psychiatrist's DREAM! I think I was actually salivating at the thought. But alas - damn HIPAA laws! :_( It did make me wonder though why the State didn't put a forensic psych. on the stand to testify to her sociopathy. Does anyone know if that would be admissible? Because IMO, THAT is the center of this case, and what really explains why a seemingly "normal" sane woman puts her dead kid in a swamp and goes to a party after and spins lie after lie after lie for years - and might get some jurors over that hump of "disbelief" - if it was explained to them that she's not mentally ill, or insane, and not post-partum, and not reacting to sexual abuse - she does know right from wrong, she just has no conscience or empathy.

CM may have recognized the need to determine, in writing, that KC does understand the severity of her situation.

I think she does understand the severity - she just has such a huge ego that she thinks she'll get out of it. Ego and overconfidence in their ability to get away with murder = the character flaw that does most sociopaths in. And honestly, her parents have been cleaning up her messes and making excuses for her her whole life, why should she think this time is any different?

Geraldo R reported that JB stated that court would start as usual on Monday morning when he was questioned about what had transpired on Saturday.
How did JB know that court would commence as usual on Monday if none of the Mental Health experts had yet to examine ICA and submitted their reports?
Did JB know the motion to evaluate her competency was just a ploy for more time and she would be deemed competent? Seems odd to me.

Wow - good catch, sleuther! :applause:

Oh my .... The look on ICA's face in this video surpasses anything I've ever seen from her. Someone on here posted a still pic of this yesterday, but watching the video now, around 1:20 - it appears that Casey was about to complain to CM (baring her teeth and violently pointing toward JB behind his back) about JB. When JB turned around, as someone pointed out, her demeanor went from snarling to flat (in 0 to 60) just an amazing transformation. That girl gets more and more scarey to me daily.

Reminds me of other incidents during trials with sociopathic defendants where they were calm and even somewhat remorseful during the whole trial - and had one "flash" of their true colors. Ted Bundy and John Gardner (who killed Amber Dubois and Chelsea King) each had a scary moment like this in court, despite their otherwise calm demeanors - Gardner was even crying right before.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/John-Gardner-Sentenced-for-Murders-of-Amber/u5V-evbwMkmeHv9iN_N2TA.cspx

Gardner displayed a mix of emotions during the hearing. At several times he looked down and cryed. While Carrie McGonigle Amber's mom was speaking and during Amber's presentation, Gardner teared up...

Most startling was a moment when Candice Moncayo's closing comment appeared to send Gardner into a rage. "And finally, ask him how his nose is..."

You could see Gardner visibly fuming from her verbal jab. From reading his lips, it appeared Gardner told his attorney, "She didn't hit me."

Seconds later, looking almost demonic, he blurted out, "She's a liar."

I don't think in any way this makes a defendant incompetent though. It just makes them a good actor who broke character.

I wonder if there is any chance we could get a copy of that sidebar that sent her sideways?

I think she's driving them crazy so they decided to see if she's crazy :floorlaugh:

What makes the most sense to me...she wants to testify and change her story. A lawyer is obligated to ask for a competency review if this happens during trial. Since it is illegal for lawyer to put a witness on the stand they know are going to lie, and she is changing her story mid-trial, JB and CM had to do this, even tho it meant ICA would have to be examined. Apparently either she did not understand this prior to court, hence the hissy fit, or she decided during the trial and didn't realize she would have to see doctors. That is why Baez knew that the trial would continue. He knows she isn't crazy, he is just covering all bases, because apparently they think this new story is going to save ICA.

This may have already been posted, but I don't get to check in very often and haven't seen it yet.

On Saturday, what happened to get ICA into a rant? She was clearly building up to burst ... video shows it more clearly.

062511casey.jpg

http://www.clickorlando.com/video/28362472/index.html

I am beginning to think the whole DT needs a competancy hearing myself.

This may have already been posted, but I don't get to check in very often and haven't seen it yet.

On Saturday, what happened to get ICA into a rant? She was clearly building up to burst ... video shows it more clearly.

062511casey.jpg

http://www.clickorlando.com/video/28362472/index.html

When I first saw this picture I thought that maybe it is just one of those photos that just catches our expression out of context.

I was just able to review this video - thanks for posting it. OMG! is all I have to say. About 1:08 mark. She looked absolutely demonic there for a second . . . uhh . . . anger management issues?? This is why her family tippy toes around her - to avoid THAT!! If I had any doubts before about her innocence or guilt, those few seconds sealed the deal for me.

If she is acquitted there is no longer any doubt in my mind that she will commit more crimes and in some form self-destruct. No doubt at all.

Just my opinion, of course.

I hadn't seen that little tableau. Thanks for posting it.

I wonder if the folks who think she wants to rid herself of JB are correct. Because frankly, it looks to me that whatever she was enraged about, she hid from him. She very well could be actively imploring CM to save her by taking over the lead role. And I would think that would prompt her attorneys to have her mental state evaluated, to cover their own arses.

When I first saw this picture I thought that maybe it is just one of those photos that just catches our expression out of context.

I was just able to review this video - thanks for posting it. OMG! is all I have to say. About 1:08 mark. She looked absolutely demonic there for a second . . . uhh . . . anger management issues?? This is why her family tippy toes around her - to avoid THAT!! If I had any doubts before about her innocence or guilt, those few seconds sealed the deal for me.

If she is acquitted there is no longer any doubt in my mind that she will commit more crimes and in some form self-destruct. No doubt at all.

Just my opinion, of course.

And don't overlook the instaneous transformation in her when she realizes JB is right in front of her. She certainly is a chameleon...changeling is probably more accurate. She's a scary creature....makes me sick to think that that is exactly the last expression Caylee ever saw in her mother.

And don't overlook the instaneous transformation in her when she realizes JB is right in front of her. She certainly is a chameleon...changeling is probably more accurate. She's a scary creature....makes me sick to think that that is exactly the last expression Caylee ever saw in her mother.

Do you think LDB saw this when she walked by? She is in the video walking by at the exact moment it happened. I hope the prosection saw this - it will give them the little kick of adrenaline to get through to the end of the trial.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back