Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

I will ask some lawyers in my family. You guys are not understanding my question. I understand contempt of court, I understand it's legal. What I don't understand is how an american citizen can do something and be locked up within the hour and have the system throw a lawyer to you.... Shoot casey had freedom longer for killing a child.

Forgive me if I'm not correct - but I don't think it happened within the hour. He was detained while the cameraman had time to get the photo, show it to the judge, and for the deputy to get the court sign. The questioning/arrest didn't happen until the latter part of the day (and again, I can't pin down the time line) - but the incident appears to look from earlier in the day.

I personally think he was arrested earlier, given his rights, and then brought before the judge. However, I didn't see any tweets on it (courtroom activity is usually talk of the town). I would have to go back and review the tapes.

In any event, it's my understanding contempt charges are brought quickly -- just like the shoe lady from jury selection.

Just my opinion - please and thanks.

Mel

It sure does look like him, same age, same name. I think it is. Yes, he was cited for contmept, 6 days jail time and fine.

He may get more since he not only flipped,he fibbed .

JP had to ask the $$ questions to determine if he could be provided with a free court appointed lawyer, and not have to hire someone (ala Jose Baez). If they guy said he had 10K in his bank account, he wouldn't have appointed a lawyer (whomever that may be).

IMHO - Casey probably would have done better going that route if I do say so myself ;)

MOO

Mel

While it's true that Casey "hired" Jose Baez to represent her early in the case, she was later declared indigent, and Mr. Baez became her court-appointed attorney. He is now being compensated by the State of Florida, but did receive remuneration from Ms. Anthony when he was originally retained.

HHJP followed the law. Bartlett did not. :twocents:

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/programs-services/court-resource-center/downloads/CrimRulesUpdate.pdf

RULE 3.830. DIRECT CRIMINAL CONTEMPT

A criminal contempt may be punished summarily if the court saw or heard the conduct constituting the contempt committed in the actual presence of the court. The judgment of guilt of contempt shall include a recital of those facts on which the adjudication of guilt is based. Prior to the adjudication of guilt the judge shall inform the defendant of the accusation against the defendant and inquire as to whether the defendant has any cause to show why he or she should not be adjudged guilty of contempt by the court and sentenced therefor. The defendant shall be given the opportunity to present evidence of excusing or mitigating circumstances. The judgment shall be signed by the judge and entered of record. Sentence shall be pronounced in open court.

ETA: HHJP cites this exact rule at 3:40 mark of this video: http://www.wftv.com/video/28411368/index.html

He's another one of those man-aged boys who has a crush on Chloroform Casey --- dumb, dumber, dumberer.

I don't know but if I were Casey Anthony I'd be concerned, if he got that for the finger what do you get for 4 counts of lying to LE, child abuse, first degree murder?

:highfive:

HHJP is watching everything :rocker:

Yeah, but, IMO, and my point, is that HHJP would have still sentenced him to jail if the guy had been loaded with $$$.

True. But when he asked for an appeal, doesn't the judge have to determine if he is eligible for a court-appointed-attorney regardless of the time sentenced? Then that attorney can argue in front of JP? I'm not sure, but perhaps JP could have asked "can you afford an attorney"? Now we all know what he makes and where he works, or worked!

Though, like the shoe lady, I'm sure he will be out in no time ;) She was only in jail long enough to be processed (12 hours).

Egads!

Mel

After reading some of these posts it makes more sense. He probably did what most Americans do, talked too much, tried to be too cooperative after getting busted. Instead of playing hardball legally.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the replay of the video. He was looking right at the camera. It wasn't directed at JA, in my view. Still contempt, mind you.
But JP asked him who he was giving the finger to and he said, "Mr. Ashton."

LOL!!!! I don't think it was intended for anyone per se...more of look what I just did in the camera....kind of like when a naked person runs across a live major league baseball field nude...JMHO

I thought the same thing. I think he was planning to go home and put it on his facebook or something "Ha Ha, see what I did today" kind of thing. He was shocked that his little "joke" was caught and taken so seriously.

I think it should have been taken seriously. Just as I thought that the grief lady showed a complete lack of respect to the court ie; gum chewing etc, I believe the same about this person. Disrespect for our court and the process has no place in a lawful society.

I truly hope this guy doesn't get 15 mins of fame and make the rounds on talk show's because of his lack of dignity and respect.

TC, Robin

IMO this young'un, although he is 28 years old, got a voucher to attend court, told his friends he was going to be on tv and then flipped the bird so his friends would think "you da man". Well, I hope his little stunt has taught him a very valuable lesson. Six days in jail and a hefty fine seems to be a huge price to pay for being an idiot!

Anytime a citizen enters a court of law, there is a court room decorum that should be followed and the Judge has every single right to find someone in contempt if they don't follow the rules.

The Courtroom belongs to the Judge. Period. If there is one thing I learned in EMS, never jack with a Judge, an ME or any member of the Medical Examiner's Office.

Most people don't know this, but when an ME or one or more of their representatives is at a death scene, they are functioning in the capacity of a "Magistrate Of The Court", and while they are on scene, it is as if court is in session. They can have you arrested for contempt on the spot, and they can also serve you a hand written subpoena (most carry a pre-printed pad of them) in the blink of an eye. I found out by trial and error. :innocent:

While it's true that Casey "hired" Jose Baez to represent her early in the case, she was later declared indigent, and Mr. Baez became her court-appointed attorney. He is now being compensated by the State of Florida, but did receive remuneration from Ms. Anthony when he was originally retained.

You betcha -- something around 200K? Not to mention the publicity, interviews, etc. May have seemed worth it at the time, but has sure back-fired (IMHO). He's sure not making much these days, which makes me feel a little better!

:great:

True. But when he asked for an appeal, doesn't the judge have to determine if he is eligible for a court-appointed-attorney regardless of the time sentenced? Then that attorney can argue in front of JP? I'm not sure, but perhaps JP could have asked "can you afford an attorney"? Now we all know what he makes and where he works, or worked!

Though, like the shoe lady, I'm sure he will be out in no time ;) She was only in jail long enough to be processed (12 hours).

Egads!

Mel
Yes, but the implication seemed to be, IMO, that if the guy had a lot of $$$, he wouldn't have been locked up for giving the finger. That's what I was disagreeing with. I don't think HHJP cares a whit about that wrt applying the law.

I thought HHBP said he was in criminal contempt, not civil contempt. Did I hear him wrong?

The Courtroom belongs to the Judge. Period. If there is one thing I learned in EMS, never jack with a Judge, an ME or any member of the Medical Examiner's Office.

Most people don't know this, but when an ME or one or more of their representatives is at a death scene, they are functioning in the capacity of a "Magistrate Of The Court", and while they are on scene, it is as if court is in session. They can have you arrested for contempt on the spot, and they can also serve you a hand written subpoena (most carry a pre-printed pad of them) in the blink of an eye. I found out by trial and error. :innocent:

LongtimeMedic - I've enjoyed your posts tremendously. Maybe one day you'll share your story :)

Hugs,

Mel

It sure does look like him, same age, same name. I think it is. Yes, he was cited for contmept, 6 days jail time and fine.

OOps, I just deleted my Original post, because I didn't think it was him. The guy in the mug shots from Palm Beach looks a bit different, less cleaned up, but anyway, if you do a google images search of his name, you'll see the 4 mug shots, & can decide for yourself. HHJP would likely not be too happy with him if it is the same man.

Edited to Add: He's not the same guy, same name, same age, but different birthdates.

I live in Illinois and was in a courtroom once that didn't allow shorts, jean with holes, and all shirts had to have sleeves. I had worn a "skort" and wasn't sure I would be allowed to enter the courtroom, however I was allowed.

I have been surpised at some of the dresses and such that CA has worn to court. I will admit I think she has looked very nice, but, never the less it has shocked me at times....not sure if that is all courts in Illinois or just that particular county.

Anyway, I am thinking that it all goes back to the "respect of the court" idea, which isn't all that bad I don't think. just sayin'.....jmho....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back