Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

Nope, it's not. I thought so too at first, but different birthdates. The finger flippin' man's bday is July 4th, bet he'll always remember spending his 29th bday in jail

Yeah, plus the ears, lips and hairline are different.

Okay...just a thought...he is 28 right? There is a Matthew Bartlett that graduated from Colonial High School (same as ICA...maybe same is Lee--given that he and Lee are the same age) in 1999...things that make you go hmmm....

The only thing I can offer is that Belvin Perry Jr., is the Chief Judge. If it wasn't legal, Perry wouldn't have done it.

I've seen it happen in court when I was in traffic court. A guy after being fined mumbled an obscenity under his breath. The judge asked the bailiff to hold the guy, until all the cases had been heard. Then they held a short trial for contempt of court.

Similar to this guy, the guy apologized, and admitted that he was wrong. There wasn't really any disputing the fact. He did it in view of everyone in the packed courtroom.

It's perfectly legal. If you don't want to be subject to the judges rules for the courtroom; don't go! Simple as that. I mean, he was a spectator, he did not have to be there.

I will ask some lawyers in my family. You guys are not understanding my question. I understand contempt of court, I understand it's legal. What I don't understand is how an american citizen can do something and be locked up within the hour and have the system throw a lawyer to you.... Shoot casey had freedom longer for killing a child.

He was in a courtroom, viewing a death penalty trial. He wasn't at the movies, or watching a concert. If he had done something that had jeopardized the trial, we would have to do this all again. These aren't little kids in the gallery. He is a 28 year old man, and it's not too much to expect him to behave himself while there.

It's a trial seeking justice for a little girl who was brutally murdered. We have laws on the books about interfering. If people can't respect that, I have no problem throwing the book at them.

Does testosterone kill brain cells?
Just wondering.
Maybe words of humble apology to the court and Mr. Ashton could have flown out of his mouth. But, alas, no.
Like asking why a 6 year old licked off all the frosting off Grandpa's birthday cake,
all you get is, "I dunno"...
Persons of this sort might also spit in your milkshake.
His integrity has been shown to be lacking, self inflicted,
and he will find it's not easy to regain respect.
If the person even cares about such things.

IMO this young'un, although he is 28 years old, got a voucher to attend court, told his friends he was going to be on tv and then flipped the bird so his friends would think "you da man". Well, I hope his little stunt has taught him a very valuable lesson. Six days in jail and a hefty fine seems to be a huge price to pay for being an idiot!

Anytime a citizen enters a court of law, there is a court room decorum that should be followed and the Judge has every single right to find someone in contempt if they don't follow the rules.

As I recall, contempt can result in 6 months jail time. JP today told M. Bartlett that his "courteous message" to JA could have endangered the trial.

If MB only got 6 days for such reckless, risky behavior, what manner of contempt would be required to get 6 months?

:coffeews::waitasec:

OFGS:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/M...te-Attorney-Mr-Jeffery-Ashton/222563297784326

NO I WILL NOT BE YOUR FRIEND.

This is a sick sick world we're living in.

Mel

People actually think this guy will get rich off this? He gave the bird in court. What is interesting about that? Someone is going to make him rich so they can get his insight into what? Heck, GA's alleged mistress only got 4 G's and she has a story. I really doubt anyone will give a crap what this loser has to say but maybe that's just me.

28 certainly isn't what it used to be.

Is it me or do kids stay kids years longer these days.

My God at 28 I was married, pregnant and hubby was in the process of opening up his own company.

I'm not even middle aged yet and this guy makes me feel old.

Pass the Bengay, when I was his age *cringing at seeing myself type those words* I bought my first house and was unhappily married. Kids these days. And why don't they pull up their pants for crying out loud! I'm going off to take my fiber supplement....

I will tell you all, that Mr. Bartlett made me sick today. Completely lacking in respect for anyone in the room, or the state of Florida. If his behavior had caused any problems with the trial, he would still have been standing in front of everyone saying, "I don't know why I did it." bleh!

Luckily, Judge Perry, isn't playing around. He has no intention of the courtroom becoming a circus. If anyone else is thinking about going into that courtroom to pull a stunt like that to post on FB, I hope they take pause.

I was going to say that HHJP is my hero, but really he's Caylee's.
character-emoticon-0038.gif

The Courtroom belongs to the Judge. Period. If there is one thing I learned in EMS, never jack with a Judge, an ME or any member of the Medical Examiner's Office.

Most people don't know this, but when an ME or one or more of their representatives is at a death scene, they are functioning in the capacity of a "Magistrate Of The Court", and while they are on scene, it is as if court is in session. They can have you arrested for contempt on the spot, and they can also serve you a hand written subpoena (most carry a pre-printed pad of them) in the blink of an eye. I found out by trial and error. :innocent:

Thanks LongtimeMedic, great insight into the ME's. Our bird-flipper today had received ample warning. JP thoroughly established his premeditated guilt. ("Can you read and write?"---LOL).

MB took a hellacious risk of getting a 6 month trip to the brink. And I don't even know what the maximum fine could have been. JP might have gone easy on him if he assumed it was his first offense.

:truce::whoosh:

He was in a courtroom, viewing a death penalty trial. He wasn't at the movies, or watching a concert. If he had done something that had jeopardized the trial, we would have to do this all again. These aren't little kids in the gallery. He is a 28 year old man, and it's not too much to expect him to behave himself while there.

It's a trial seeking justice for a little girl who was brutally murdered. We have laws on the books about interfering. If people can't respect that, I have no problem throwing the book at them.

:bowdown:

THANK YOU!!!

I can't see how anybody can feel for this poor man because after all he's an American citizen. As if Judge Perry waltzed out onto the street and snatched somebody up. He came into the court where there are clear rules in place for a reason and he acted like an immature brat. Oh he's sorry? Well then. Naughty kids have consequences.

I haven't been able to read all these posts, but someone asked how finger-gate could have led to a mistrial. The reason is that if a jury member had seen it, they could have interpreted his gesture as an indication of public sentiment and might have swayed their decision.

Not saying what he did was right of course. I'm just wondering in regards to our rights a citizens? It happened awfully fast.

Why is it a right to perform an obscene gesture towards an officer of the court during an official court hearing in front of TV cameras broadcasting live. There is a difference between a right and abject stupidity and ignorance, but that's JMO.

:bowdown:

THANK YOU!!!

I can't see how anybody can feel for this poor man because after all he's an American citizen. As if Judge Perry waltzed out onto the street and snatched somebody up. He came into the court where there are clear rules in place for a reason and he acted like an immature brat. Oh he's sorry? Well then. Naughty kids have consequences.

Bravo...he's right where he deserves to be.

he deserves every second in jail however, I really don't think he was flipping off JA - he totally looks in to the camera, not at JA (who was off center in that video). I am confused why he said he gave it to JA...it certainly doesn't look like he is looking at JA unless he has a drifty eye thing going on.

We don't seem to have QUITE as many of those "rights" as we did back in the day. Just sayin'.

Life is about choices. He made a choice to be an <modsnip> in court by flipping the bird. HJBP chose to impose the consequence.

he was helpless? well too bad so sad. what business did he have sitting in on that trial and deliberately ignoring the rules of the court? yes he's a moron no doubt but i bet he learned a very big lesson very quickly today.

At least he seemed honest while under direct questioning. Certain trial witnesses should take a cue from him. :banghead:

But did the bird-flipper intend for JA himself to see his "act of affection," or was he just showing off for his buddies? Was JA even aware that the "bird" had occurred? If the video I saw of the flipping is accurate, it seems that JA might not even have seen it happen. :waitasec:

I know it's still contempt of court either way, I'm just wondering what this knucklehead was trying to accomplish that he felt was worth a possible six month jail sentence.

:eek:fftobed:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back