Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4

Can one be put in jail for not paying taxes to the irs? How long will KC have to pay the fine? (remembering the taxes she didn't pay)

Yes, but IMO Casey will make plenty of money quickly enough to pay the IRS.

AZ - thanks so much for taking so much time to answer our questions through this journey. I'm still reeling from today's verdict; I couldn't stomach it if KC tried to bring an unlawful prosecution suit against the State of Florida or the Orange County Sheriff's Office...
What are your thoughts?

No way she would win that.

Can George Anthony file a civil lawsuit against Casey for the wrongful death of his granddaughter ?

No. Grandparents are not permitted plaintiffs for a wrongful death suit in Florida.

AZLaywer,

If it is found that the jury discussed this case while out of the courtroom before deliberation can anything be done about that and they have to re-do the case? Some people are thinking that happened based on the comments made by Alt Juror 14.

No.

Do you know anything about the lawyers handling the civil case for Zanny? I hope it's a great firm and she gets every cent ICA makes. That would make me feel a tad better.

It is a great firm but not a great case.

-----------------------

I hope some of the other lawyers will be around this evening. I've got to run!

Hi Az

I have a question...Can the judge reverse the verdict? I have heard of the judge doing it on a guilty verdict but don't know about a not guilty verdict. I just want to know if it's possible.

Also will do you think this verdict will affect the sanctions the judge was going to give JB at the end of the trial.

Hi Az

I have a question...Can the judge reverse the verdict? I have heard of the judge doing it on a guilty verdict but don't know about a not guilty verdict. I just want to know if it's possible.

Also will do you think this verdict will affect the sanctions the judge was going to give JB at the end of the trial.

The judge cannot, sadly, reverse the verdict.

I think HHJP will not sanction JB at this point.

ETA: I know you directed the question to AZ but I was in the house so I answered!

Thanks so much to Az, Gitana, Beachbumming, Richard Hornsby and all of the lawyers that helped to guide us through this case and trial, with your time and patience. Much appreciated!

Thanks so much to Az, Gitana, Beachbumming, Richard Hornsby and all of the lawyers that helped to guide us through this case and trial, with your time and patience. Much appreciated!

I just wanted to reiterate what elfie said above. This has been one of my favorite threads, and though my husband is a lawyer, he doesn't do anything even close to criminal law and so I get no help from him on my questions :crazy:

All of the lawyers here have been a tremendous help to those of us that are lawerly challenged, and have put up with us asking the same questions many, many times.

Though today certainly didn't turn out as any of us expected, your insight 'behind the scenes' has been amazing!

Feels like THANKS isn't enough here, but it's all I have!

A MASSIVE THANKS TO AZLAWYER, GITANA, BEACHBUMMING, RICHARD HORNSBY, THEMIS, KATPRINT, SOCALSLEUTH, and anyone else I am forgetting!!

~elizabeth

Do you think HHJP regrets seating the jury so quickly just to get the trial going?

Hi. Question about the wording the Judge used while reading the verdict.

Casey Marie Anthony : a jury of your peers have been found you not guilty as to the charge contained in count 1 of the indictment murder in the first degree.
At This Time I will adjudge you to be not guilty.
As to ah count 2 the crime of aggravated child abuse a jury of your peers have been found you to be not guilty.
The Court will adjudge you to be not guilty of the crime contained in count 2.
As to count 3 aggravated manslaughter of a child a jury of your peers having been found you not guilty.
I will adjudge you to be not guilty of that count.
The words At This Time do not appear anywhere else.
Was just wondering if there was a possibility the Judge is adjudging her to be not guilty at this time, giving him time to read case law, make phone calls , etc, and the Not Guilty could possibly change ? Just seems strange he added the words At This Time before declaring her Not Guilty of the most serious charge.. Like some sort of qualifier. If it was me, I know I would be worried.

Was just wondering if there was a possibility the Judge is adjudging her to be not guilty at this time, giving him time to read case law, make phone calls , etc, and the Not Guilty could possibly change ? Just seems strange he added the words At This Time before declaring her Not Guilty of the most serious charge.. Like some sort of qualifier. If it was me, I know I would be worried.

Thanks Gitana, the above quote is why I asked that question. I was thinking, praying, hoping the same thing.

I would like to offer a sincere heartfelt thank you to ALL the lawyers that helped us understand the jury selection, the trial, the laws, etc. :blowkiss:

This is one of the first threads I check when I come to WS and I know I can rely on your information being accurate and understandable.

There are still some VERY GREAT attorneys in this country, sea to sea and border to border (to quote CM)!!! And we have the BEST lawyers ever right here at WS!!!! :blowkiss:

Why isn't the Zanny case a great one? Is it at least a good and viable one? Should she be able to get some money for the horrible lies ICA told and the price she paid for them?

No.

I think he will give her time served--the 1.5 years AFTER she finished serving her time on the check charges.

He could give her up to 2.5 more years (from now), but what would be the point?

BBM

It would knock that damn smile off her face and give the public time to get over her. :crazy: You see, I want her poor, lonely, and scared. (I can be a spiteful *advertiser censored*, too!)

So because she got away with murder, Does that mean Caylee's case is stilla open homicide?

So because she got away with murder, Does that mean Caylee's case is stilla open homicide?

No. That case was closed a long time ago. On the other hand, if some evidence comes along that someone else killed Caylee, that person could be prosecuted. We all know that no such evidence exists....

Why isn't the Zanny case a great one? Is it at least a good and viable one? Should she be able to get some money for the horrible lies ICA told and the price she paid for them?

I don't think it's such a great case. Casey accused a fake person. ZG (whose name is not even ZFG) was immediately cleared, but then went to the media to announce that she was the ZG Casey was talking about. Casey never said anything about her specifically at all.

No, that didn't mean anything.

Do you think HHJP regrets seating the jury so quickly just to get the trial going?

Did he cut anyone off from asking questions? If so, I don't remember it.

AZ, here is what I want to know now that this portion of the saga is winding down...what's the damage for your services?
I mean, I hope you give us a group rate at least, help a broke sista out here.

Thank you, all WS lawyers, for the years you have put into this and answering our questions particularly on a day like this...Gratis?

I also want to express my gratitude to the lawyers that give so much of their time to help answer our questions. :bow: Thank you for all your help!

What will happen if new evidence appears that can conclusively point the finger at Casey? Would this case be re-opened and would she have another trial?

I also want to express my gratitude to the lawyers that give so much of their time to help answer our questions. :bow: Thank you for all your help!

What will happen if new evidence appears that can conclusively point the finger at Casey? Would this case be re-opened and would she have another trial?

Nope. It's really really over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsPlayThing

No, that didn't mean anything.

Thank You So Much For Answering My Question , Az Lawyer. I Too Am In Az. Not In The City Anymore Though. Wow Did We Get Some Thunder, Rain , Hail, This Afternoon And Into The Night. Monsoon Season IS Here.

I Guess I Read Too Much Into The ~At This Time~ Thing. Just Seemed Strange To Me, As There Wasn't Gonna Be Any Other Time That He Was Gonna Be Reading Any Verdicts To Her. So I Wondered Why The Seemingly Unnecessary Added Words There, If That Makes Any Sense. Have A Great Night. I Guess It Really Is Over.

Two quick questions...

Does JP still reserve the right to call for a mistrial now that the verdict has been read?

If Caylee's biological father were to come forward now, could he request a civil trial?

Thanks!

If these 2 questions have already been answered let me know and I'll reread this thread - my mind is still in shock, so could have overlooked them-

Cindy testified in court that she had a patent on Caylee's name so people couldn't profit off her name -- does that or will that apply to Casey making money from this horrible story??

Also, since Jose, in his opening statements said something along the lines of "she didn't report Caylee as missing because she wasn't missing - she was dead (the horrible accident story) -- and since Casey was charged and convicted with lying to law enforcement - could the state of Florida now sue Casey for any of the money spent on this investigation?

Thanks for your answers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974