2011.07.07 Sentencing Hearing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think JP is a little annoyed with the media.

The names should be released just NOT today IMO.

It was also reported on this thread today that someone sitting in front of the A's this morning overheard conversation that Lippman is no longer their attorney. Maybe they got the conversation mixed up.

Yes, they probably got it wrong. I heard on HLN earlier that it is LA that has a new attorney and that ML was telling the A's that.

georgegas.jpg

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

what can you do though? hire bodyguards? Come on there is no solution. You cant keep ther reporters away and you cant have the state pay for security. So we have a mexican standoff. People talk, names will be released. People are gonna out their friends, neighbors and family for money. CNN, FOX, ABC etc will start snooping around and offering people money to talk. I say release the names!

I think JP is a little annoyed with the media.

The names should be released just NOT today IMO.

I have to say no matter what type of case it is, I would never want my name released for any reason what so ever. I know that is not a law yet, but I hope one day it will be. We have no need to know the names of jurors for any type of case, for any type of reason.

The individual juror can decide if they want to go public.

Hello peeps! Just got here and was wondering if anyone has a short summary of this mornings events? TIA

Tulessa, what did the cousin say about george?!?!? im dying over here!

I have no links so RUMOR ONLY, but my daughter got a tweet that a cousin of Cindy's in Texas called a radio show and said the sexual abuse allegations against George were true. I've been reading here to see if anyone else heard it. Hope this is OK to post.

And here we have it folks, the were at a 6-6 vote for manslaughter but the 'not guilty' voters would not change their minds and turned the 'guilty' voters around. This article makes me even more pissed than before. They rushed to their decision!
http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/article1179177.ece

I'm more upset reading this, I realize Number 2 was between a rock and a hard place but I would hang a jury before letting a murderer go free.

CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13
Rachel Fugate, attorney representing the news org's, says witnesses weren't here voluntarily either.Says concern is "openness" #CaseyAnthony

(Media attorney argument) Now that we have a verdict, the balance tips to transparency. US Supreme Court and FLA Supreme Court - oversight of the system. The transparency and accountability in a high profile case is necessary so that the public can accept and understand the verdict. Case law says Jurors are treated just the same as the lawyers, involuntary witnesses and judges. They are subject to the same scrutiny.

Open access heightens the sense of responsibility. A lot of people don't understand the verdict and this community needs that understanding. An anonymous Jury delegitimizes the verdict. Anonymous juries are extremely rare - gang related or organized crime cases.

ATTY arguing that making all people involved in trial heightens sense of responsibility for jurors - anonymous juries are extremely rare and frowned upon - but even in some mafia cases the and most high profile those names are released

HHJBP: Is there any cooling off period?

Media lawyer: In some cases yes - a couple of days, maybe a week. We've already had a couple of days here. It is something the court can do to let emotions settle down a little bit.

Judge: is there any cooling off period?
Atty: ...generally, a week to 7 days

I hope all judges from now on everywhere will sit down with and clearly explain to jury members AND VERIFY that they TRULY understand what reasonable doubt means.
If the jury was just given instructions in a huge stack of papers, how would you know they discussed and thoroughly understood the concept of reasonable doubt. You can't just throw the jurors in a room with a huge packet of jury instructions, written in legalese (that to attys and judges seems totally clear, but to jurors not) and expect them to spend any time defining what they believe as a group reasonable doubt" means.
This should be one of the most important and FIRST things a jury should understand completely and the judge should not gloss over. IMO.

its time to push for a national law that has 1 professional juror as the foreman who understands the law and explains it every step of deliberations. there should be a courtroom moniter present at all times and deliberations should be videotaped. also the state should be allowed to appeal if there has been misconduct. in this case there should be ground for appeal based on the jury statement on how they came to their decision. they did not follow instruction and that should be illegal. you cant just toss everything out the window and pick a verdict out of the sky. thats not justice. why do only guilty people get appeals? the fact that GA was on trial is BS. it should be illegal to finger point with NO PROOF in the case of someone else. none of Jose's statements should have been allowed in opening statements and should have been saved for penalty phase. there need to be new laws on evidence being admitted into court. in a circimstancial case the WHOLE picture needs brought in.

Judge Perry:
"I can't even go to lunch by myself." (paraphrasing)

What did he expect? Seriously. This is a high profile case. Hasn't he noticed the media swarming the court house in the last 7 - 8 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member