His Honor Judge Perry *Merged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe HHJP to be one of the very few heroes involved with this case. Yuri, John Allen, JA, LDB, are all heroes for Caylee. HHJP is smart beyond belief, kept his humor, treated everyone with respect, did not miss a trick. I only hope he keeps his word and he takes some action against JB.

IMO, a judicial mediator (right word ?) should be with the jury at all times and a jury SHOULD be allowed to discuss the case amongst themselves for a certain period of time each day, in order that they do not have to digest everything they have heard at the end of the trial, which obviously encourages the jury to rush through important details just to get home.

Note-taking should be mandatory for a jury and every day court should adjourn with ample time left (before the jury is exhausted) to discuss their notes with this mediator so that they understand what has taken place that day in the courtroom.

IMO if this had been done, the flood of information that the jury had to peruse would not have presented to them as monumental, thus rushing them to get it over with, which is so evident and perhaps the outcome could have been the right outcome.

In the SP case, he was the last person to see his wife and went fishing in a bay. The bodies of LP and her unborn child washed ashore and SP got the death penalty. Did anyone see him put LP in the bay -- no, so what makes this case so different -- because she is a woman. This is the biggest travesty of injustice to go down in history.

Why was the jury allowed to request the duct tape with the outline of the heart sticker. I would call this discussing the trial amongst themselves -- what happened here -- this should have been a mistrial.

jimo

Wow, excellent idea! A mediator could help jurors through the whole process.

I like HHJP. I had the honor of serving on a jury where he was the presiding judge.

ITA! I felt that HHJP tried too hard to rehabilitate many of the potential jurors and put words in their mouths at times. He seemed way too concerned about getting the jury seated and rushing through the trial.

Throughout the whole trial, I kept wondering if HHJP has a vacation scheduled, or some other "deadline" that he was trying to meet.

Though I think he's a cutie and love his personality, I'm just not thrilled with his haste to get the whole thing over with as soon as possible. :(

You know, I'm glad some other people feel as I do. I like him as a person a whole lot. He seems to have a wonderful reputation. I think he truly wants justice. But that jury selection had me feeling funny from the start. The rush, the rehabilitating witnesses, the letting someone on a jury who doesn't like to judge people. I mean come on...isn't a trial a thing where you sort of have to judge someone? I think he let Baez get away with way too much and didn't follow through on threats. I'm anxious to see if he really does take up hearings about Baez being in contempt.

I do NOT blame him for the verdict. I want to make that clear. That lies with the jury alone. But I just saw a few things that gave me great pause.

I like HHJP. However I find it unforgivable that he allowed the "I can't judge people" juror onto the jury. I think that was racially motivated on his part and he was using emotion and not logic. Very unfortunate. The fact that he did cancel out the "credit" for time served did not help his image in my mind. moo

I think Judge Perry did a great job and I guess that privately he too thinks Casey was guilty. Like the prosecution, I'm sure he's thinking "did I do something to bring this about..." but I think he was very professional and has my respect.

You know, I'm glad some other people feel as I do. I like him as a person a whole lot. He seems to have a wonderful reputation. I think he truly wants justice. But that jury selection had me feeling funny from the start. The rush, the rehabilitating witnesses, the letting someone on a jury who doesn't like to judge people. I mean come on...isn't a trial a thing where you sort of have to judge someone? I think he let Baez get away with way too much and didn't follow through on threats. I'm anxious to see if he really does take up hearings about Baez being in contempt.

I do NOT blame him for the verdict. I want to make that clear. That lies with the jury alone. But I just saw a few things that gave me great pause.

ITA. Baez was allowed WAY too much leeway. Yes death is different but Baez was simply out of control. There were no rules he didn't break and was even held in contempt iirc. Unbelievable.

HHJP made it interesting and for the most part was fair. He had to put up with a lot during this trial too. Media, the DT and even sometimes JA, but he was one of the coolest judges I've ever witnessed.

I realize he gave her the max allowed by law. All I said was, IN MY OPINION, he missed a chance to say something to her about her ways. That's all.

I'm confused as to why you quoted my aforementioned post when I did not post any comment toward you.

I believe HHJP did a fantastic job of getting through this trial given the DT tactics and delays and media involvement he had to work with. He tried to protect the jurors rights, rights of the defendent under the constitution, as well as the integrity of the court system so there would be no mistakes to be overturned. I think it was very noticeable in his demeanor today with the juror motion that he was not pleased with this outcome. Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't solve anything. JMO

I'm not a fan of this particular judge and wasn't even from the beginning when I was watching voir dire. I saw him handicap the state in several ways that I disagreed with -- during jury selection. He rushed some things that didn't help and he failed to investigate possible jury misconduct (discussing the case). Nope, I am not a fan.

I'm confused as to why you quoted my aforementioned post when I did not post any comment toward you.

I apologize. I thought it was toward me.

ETA: I guess I'm a little defensive because it seems I always have the unpopular opinion. LOL

I apologize. I thought it was toward me.

ETA: I guess I'm a little defensive because it seems I always have the unpopular opinion. LOL

Thank you for the apology! I know I can be a bit defensive, too. Life will do that to each of us, I suppose. I was taken aback by your quote because I only posted a direct comment from the press release. lol :) Thanks for clearing up your post for me. :)

I wish Judge Perry were on television every day--well, once a week--to read legal decisions to the public so that all of us could understand and cherish the law in the way that he does.

He was fair to both sides in the trial, never pandered to the media, and presided over the courtroom with integrity and dignity. ( I just adored him for that.)

Judge Belvin Perry. I will never forget him. It was a priviledge to watch him in action. He is a good and just man and his Mother did a wonderful job raising him. When I see him sitting there with his glasses perched on the end of his nose reading a case, I can't help but wonder if he looks like his Mama.

Most of us are upset by the jury's decision. I do believe Judge Perry would be the first to caution us to never, ever try to project what a jury will do. I have learned my lesson.

A judge who allows (nee insists) that a person who openly says she "doesn't like to judge anyone...that's only for God to do" be on a capital murder case, is a judge who has unfortunately stacked the deck towards acquittal.

A judge who allows another person who openly states he is strongly opposed to the death penalty to be on the jury of a DP case further stacks the deck.

The case was lost for the state the moment the jury was sworn in. Those 2 jurors never should have been allowed on this jury. The state didn't want them; JP allowed it and did his best to corral people onto the jury when a few of them (at the least) should have excused.

The added 'benefit' for the defense is that the jury didn't pay attention, didn't understand most of what they heard in terms of scientific evidence, didn't understand much of anything. But hey, at least they got daily treats from the sweets lady. :rolleyes:

Judge Perry was above and beyond amazing.. He did a fantastic job of making sure everything went just as it should and did all he could to prevent an overturn on appeal if the verdict had went as we all expected it would.

I personally would love to see him get his own "Judge Perry" show... I would watch it daily.. I think he would be VERY entertaining and fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member