His Honor Judge Perry *Merged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A judge who allows (nee insists) that a person who openly says she "doesn't like to judge anyone...that's only for God to do" be on a capital murder case, is a judge who has unfortunately stacked the deck towards acquittal.

A judge who allows another person who openly states he is strongly opposed to the death penalty to be on the jury of a DP case further stacks the deck.

The case was lost for the state the moment the jury was sworn in. Those 2 jurors never should have been allowed on this jury. The state didn't want them; JP allowed it and did his best to corral people onto the jury when a few of them (at the least) should have excused.

The added 'benefit' for the defense is that the jury didn't pay attention, didn't understand most of what they heard in terms of scientific evidence, didn't understand much of anything. But hey, at least they got daily treats from the sweets lady. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of HHJP anymore. The few things he got wrong are what threw this case for the defense. In addition to what you mentioned - the obvious perjury of CA was completely unfair to the SA, and the DT being able to argue "molestation/abuse/p@nis in her mouth" and then being forbidden from using that nonsense in the closing - because HHJP said there's no evidence of it happening - seems unjust. They planted the seed wrongly and were able to get away with it.

You know, I'm glad some other people feel as I do. I like him as a person a whole lot. He seems to have a wonderful reputation. I think he truly wants justice. But that jury selection had me feeling funny from the start. The rush, the rehabilitating witnesses, the letting someone on a jury who doesn't like to judge people. I mean come on...isn't a trial a thing where you sort of have to judge someone? I think he let Baez get away with way too much and didn't follow through on threats. I'm anxious to see if he really does take up hearings about Baez being in contempt.

I do NOT blame him for the verdict. I want to make that clear. That lies with the jury alone. But I just saw a few things that gave me great pause.

BBM That will never happen, IMO.

I realize he gave her the max allowed by law. All I said was, IN MY OPINION, he missed a chance to say something to her about her ways. That's all.

Bold mine.

ITA! It's not as if she could file an appeal anymore...she was found not guilty. Even Judge Strickland said "the truth and Ms. Anthony are strangers."

I too had hope he would in some way let KC know that he was on to her...although not in those words.

I am quite unhappy with his decision to ignore the law and withold the names of the jurors in this case. Here in America we do not have secret juries. This judge apparently disagrees and feels that his feelings trump the law.

I am quite unhappy with his decision to ignore the law and withold the names of the jurors in this case. Here in America we do not have secret juries. This judge apparently disagrees and feels that his feelings trump the law.

It's my understanding that he's providing for a cooling off period, and he did not reject the idea of releasing the names. I'm confident he will in the next week or so, then the mob lynch can come out and terrorize them.

I am completely against harassing these jurors in any way shape or form (not that you implied it - but it's all over the net).

IMHO - Your Honour did the right thing. I also believe that we do not know the exact release date. JP does not like the mob effect going on and I think he will release ICA early according to the escape plan set forth by the DT.

She will most likely be long gone and in seclusion before the protestors show up.

I am still in awe of JP and how he handled this trial. He has my utmost respect.

Just my opinion - please and thanks.

Mel

This question is pretty much off topic with regards to the trial. My 8.5 yr old pretty much rolled his eyes at me for the duration he was 'tortured' (his words not mine, lol) with my watching bits and pieces of the trial. Only a few minutes captured his attention while the judge was reading the jury instructions prior to them going into deliberation.

Because my son did have a little interest in the judge himself, and respect for judges and what they represent, he wondered outloud what Judge Perry's favorite food was once he lost interest in listening to the remaining instructions being given to the jury.

Anyone know where I might be able to ask what Judge Perry's favorite foods are? My son wants to be a chef when he grows up, thus his interest in foods of all kinds. I'd like to find an answer for him if possible so he continues asking these questions of interest.

TIA for any direction in finding the answer to this question!

My question is why didn't he keep her in jail for the year he could have? WHY? I wish to God he had of gave them a mistrial. Too late......

My estimation of Judge Perry has taken a tumble since the verdict. He is a great jurist, in that he knows case law like no one else, and he finessed his way through the shark infested waters at trial to come out smelling like a rose. At the cost of justice for Caylee.

This judge for all his brilliance, seems to have no backbone. He upholds some of the law, just not justice. He doesn't seem to be a man/judge of his word. If you can't count on someone to keep their word, what is there left, no matter how brilliant they are? There is no foundation for all the rest.

So far Baez has skated any sanctions etc. So did Mason. Given JP's spinelessness in court, how will the issue with probation be different? At least Strickland had the decency and cojones to insist that his order be followed through. Now all we need is the great jurist to shoot it down, which we all think is a huge possibility. How sad is that? Such disappointment. Where are the decent judges, the men and women of character?

I respect HHJP still today. I question a few of his ways but I wouldn't dare think I know better than him. This wasn't his first rodeo as we all know and I'm sure he has seen worse lawyering from DTs and I'm sure he has seen people convicted that he believed to be innocent. He has to move on from case to case and be comfortable with whatever it is the jury hands down otherwise he couldn't do the job as needed.

I respect HHJP still today. I question a few of his ways but I wouldn't dare think I know better than him. This wasn't his first rodeo as we all know and I'm sure he has seen worse lawyering from DTs and I'm sure he has seen people convicted that he believed to be innocent. He has to move on from case to case and be comfortable with whatever it is the jury hands down otherwise he couldn't do the job as needed.

Thank you GiantPickle!! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am horribly disappointed with some of the decisions made by HHJP, and cannot fathom his reasons, but I still have great respect for him. I have to think that he has thought his reasons through.

When my oldest child was a baby I had a very expensive stroller with one huge flaw: it had to be expanded or collapsed with BOTH hands. It was designed in a way to make 1-handed operation completely impossible. I would come out of stores in the summer heat & be faced with . . . setting my toddler on a hot tar parking lot, or strapping him in the burning hot car while I messed with getting the bags/stroller into the trunk. Instead I would stand him up in the trunk, where he would grip the side & stand there laughing at me. Then I could put the bags in & collapse the stroller. Then I would pluck him up, strap him into his car seat, and off we would go (with A/C full blast!). One day a man came running out of the store thinking he was "rescuing" my son from being locked in a car trunk!! He immediately saw that all was well & we both laughed it off. I actually did appreciate his concern.

I guess the point I'm trying to raise is that sometimes people do the darndest things, and to an outside observer they might not make much sense. Sometimes though, it's all really pretty reasonable.

Going back over and listening to various trials:

I believe HHJP is trying to be very fair and give every opportunity to the defense to run their course. He allowed AL's hippie witness to testify, even though Mr. Ashton cited law in his objection; He has allowed deadlines to be pushed to and somewhat beyond their limits; he hears from the defense even when it all seems to be moot and they fail to cite law-Things that HHJS tired of quickly, and sometimes HHJS seemed he could not wait to get them the heck out of his courtroom! I sympathized with HHJS, but I see where HHJP is inserting a little more patience and why he has been rarely overturned.

I think he liked AL as she appeared thoughtful. I think he has no issues with Mr. Mason and the respect seems much more mutual than it was when Mr. Mason strolled into HHJS courtroom. I think he gives JB a wide path to meander his way through this case and get some experience under his belt.

I think there is an unstated trust there for Lawson Lamar's gifted team, having worked with them over the years, the respect is unspoken but has always been palpable.

All of the things a judge should be, even when it would be the last thing I would personally do-Upon self-examination, which this case has prompted for me, I understand that I am a judgemental person when it comes to law and order. I could never be a defense attorney because I rarely feel compassion or the need to stand up for defendants. HHJP possesses this unique thing I do not have that defines his fairness-He is the law and order man, but he also suffers fools and foolish actions by the defense for Casey-I think he is compassionate (if that is the right word) to KC's rights. He is FAIR.

Very good post. I totally agree with all of it.

After reading some recent posts in other threads that were not terribly flattering towards HHBP, I looked for this thread. I have always been a HHBP supporter, even though some of his decisions have surprised me. I think his decisions are all spot on based on the law. I think overall he did an outstanding job. There may have been a time or two that I disagreed with his decisions, but he knows the law, not me, so although I had disagreed with his decision, I am certain that according to the law, his decision was the right one :)

As always, my entire post is my opinion only.

I pray that Caylees sweet face haunts him for the rest of his life.

Thank you GiantPickle!! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am horribly disappointed with some of the decisions made by HHJP, and cannot fathom his reasons, but I still have great respect for him. I have to think that he has thought his reasons through.

When my oldest child was a baby I had a very expensive stroller with one huge flaw: it had to be expanded or collapsed with BOTH hands. It was designed in a way to make 1-handed operation completely impossible. I would come out of stores in the summer heat & be faced with . . . setting my toddler on a hot tar parking lot, or strapping him in the burning hot car while I messed with getting the bags/stroller into the trunk. Instead I would stand him up in the trunk, where he would grip the side & stand there laughing at me. Then I could put the bags in & collapse the stroller. Then I would pluck him up, strap him into his car seat, and off we would go (with A/C full blast!). One day a man came running out of the store thinking he was "rescuing" my son from being locked in a car trunk!! He immediately saw that all was well & we both laughed it off. I actually did appreciate his concern.

I guess the point I'm trying to raise is that sometimes people do the darndest things, and to an outside observer they might not make much sense. Sometimes though, it's all really pretty reasonable.

I knew a lady who worked for a pregnancy center and had some plastic "babies" she used for demonstrations. Apparently, from a distance, they looked like real babies. She carried them in her trunk.

She got some strange looks when she pulled "babies" from the trunk.

I think HHJP was sooo determined to make everything fair so that Casey & her "defense" didn't have a leg to stand on (acquittal), that he went a little bit too far. As for jury selection, letting those 2 people on the jury, was so Baez couldn't "cry wolf" but it backfired. IMO, JB would have never won this case if HHJP had not helped him.....how many times did he have to say, "You cannot show a picture that's not in edidence" That picture is not in evidence. You cannot show a picture that has not been presented as evidence.....it is not in evidence". How long did that conversation go on???? I think HHJP should send Casey a bill for representing her.

I'm not saying I didn't like him, I did & I think he's a very good judge. He knows the law like the back of his hand, which is why I was disappointed when he let certain things slide. It's a sad day when you allow an officer of the court get away with tons of things that aren't allowed, when you allow ppl to willfully perjure themselves & you throw the book at a poor kid who shot the bird so his friends would see him on TV. If he is to blame for anything it's for being way to fair and/or worrying about the defense team filing something on him.

My estimation of Judge Perry has taken a tumble since the verdict. He is a great jurist, in that he knows case law like no one else, and he finessed his way through the shark infested waters at trial to come out smelling like a rose. At the cost of justice for Caylee.

This judge for all his brilliance, seems to have no backbone. He upholds some of the law, just not justice. He doesn't seem to be a man/judge of his word. If you can't count on someone to keep their word, what is there left, no matter how brilliant they are? There is no foundation for all the rest.

So far Baez has skated any sanctions etc. So did Mason. Given JP's spinelessness in court, how will the issue with probation be different? At least Strickland had the decency and cojones to insist that his order be followed through. Now all we need is the great jurist to shoot it down, which we all think is a huge possibility. How sad is that? Such disappointment. Where are the decent judges, the men and women of character?

BBM - Check out the Conrad Murray trial. You'll see a real judge in action.

IMO

BBM - Check out the Conrad Murray trial. You'll see a real judge in action.

IMO

ITA...this is the exact reason I read this thread...hoping I would see some comments WRT Conrad Murray trial and courtroom behavior vs. this one.

Your post confirms my instinctive thoughts regarding the stark contrast in courtroom behavior / decorum and tolerance of theatrical antics; IMO.

IMO, the difference(s) in this; Conrad Murray Trial Judge's; and HHJBP's; commandeering of respect for the courtroom and our justice system is tremendous!

It is not my intent to "bash" HHJBP; so I am trying to articulate my feelings / thoughts without coming off as "bashing".

Suffice it to say, IMO, the Judge in Conrad Murray wouldn't tolerate --- for a second --- many / most of the things that occurred during CA's trial...and the outcome just might have been different...IMO.

I do realize the verdict(s) might have still been the same; but believe it would've been a bit easier to swallow; absent the theatrical antics allowed in HHJBP's courtroom...but that's just me!

I think HHJP was very frustrated by the antics of JB and the team. His concerns were that KC get a fair trial and she certainly can't complain. The lesson learned here was for the judge not to let it get out of his control. JB made his own rules and did his own thing. Let's hope he has to pay for it.

Why would any attorney allow his/her client to face the death penalty when they claim it was just a drowning? Have the state pay for testing and costs for investigations that were never necessary for an apparent drowning. jmo

I think HHJP was very frustrated by the antics of JB and the team. His concerns were that KC get a fair trial and she certainly can't complain. The lesson learned here was for the judge not to let it get out of his control. JB made his own rules and did his own thing. Let's hope he has to pay for it.

Why would any attorney allow his/her client to face the death penalty when they claim it was just a drowning? Have the state pay for testing and costs for investigations that were never necessary for an apparent drowning. jmo

HHJP made up a few of his own rules as well...and anything OCA does in the future should be on his conscience.

HHJP made up a few of his own rules as well...and anything OCA does in the future should be on his conscience.

I don't think we should blame HHJP when he followed the law. Once JB let the molestation charges out of the box they lost that jury. While some members of the jury claim they did not believe KC was molested and that KC was a liar they failed to see the significance of the duct tape which was the State's case. The jury wanted to be told that Caylee died as of the result of having duct tape on her face although there was no forensic evidence left to prove it 100%. It appears they were under the impression if you can't prove it 100% you have to acquit. Clearly HHJP explained reasonable doubt to them but they apparently could not comprehend and judge fairly. Common sense should have told them what they wanted to know. Lost on this jury.

If JA had given his "famous" how Caylee died while looking into the eyes of her killer this jury would have not set her free, IMO. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998