Not open for further replies.
Link: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6865/jd.html

Tuesday, March 2, 1993
Section: NEWS
</FONT>
HEADLESS GIRL STILL NAMELESS AFTER 10 YEARS
By Bill Bryan
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff

She was about 11 years old when someone sexually attacked her and then cut off her head in what police say is the only case of its kind in a country that has grown used to ghastly crimes.

Ten years later, St. Louis police are no closer to learning the identity of the child they know only as Jane Doe - or to finding her killer.

Sunday marked the 10th anniversary of the discovery of the body in the basement of a vacant building in the Cabanne neighborhood.

"It's certainly bizarre," said St. Louis Homicide Sgt. Joe Burgoon, who has been the main investigator for several years.

The FBI agency that documents and studies unsolved murders reported this is the only decapitation in the country involving someone so young, Burgoon said.

A remote lead was dispelled last week when the Armed Forces Medical Examiner's Office in Washington reported that a skull recovered in May in St. Louis County was not the murder victim's.

"It was a long shot but worth pursuing," said Dr. Mary Case, the St. Louis County medical examiner, who had sent the skull to Washington.

Dr. William Rodriguez, a forensic anthropologist, determined that it was too old to be the girl's skull.

A Charlack police officer got the skull from a man he had questioned at a storage shed on St. Charles Rock Road, near Interstate 170.

The man, Danny L. Davis, 34, of Pagedale, said he bought the skull for $35 in the late 1970s at a souvenir-gift shop on Lindbergh Boulevard near Northwest Plaza shopping center.

Davis said he was told the skull was that of a young Indian woman who had been killed by a tomahawk.

The body of the girl, who was black, was found Feb. 28, 1983 by two men rummaging in the basement of a vacant apartment building at 5635 Clemens Avenue. The body was clad only in a dirty yellow sweater; the hands were tied in back with a red and white nylon rope.

Police determined that the girl had been killed elsewhere.

"Back then, I believed this would be an easy case to crack," Burgoon recalled. "We'd find out who the girl was, and that would lead us to the killer."

That never happened.

Burgoon hasn't given up hope.

"There's somebody out there who knows who this little girl was."
</SPAN>geovisit();
visit.gif

Thursday, March 3, 1994
Section: NEWS
</FONT>
CARING DETECTIVE STILL GRIEVES FOR UNCLAIMED CHILD
By Christine Bertelson

THE HEADLESS body of Jane Doe haunts Leroy Adkins.

Eleven years ago, Adkins was the cop in charge of investigating the murder, rape and decapitation of an unidentified child. Every year about this time, Adkins relives the agony of the unsolved case. This year, the recent murders of Cassidy Senter and Angie Housman have made the pain that much harder to bear.

"Each year I feel that this case will finally be solved," Adkins said. "Each year I am disappointed in myself and in mankind. I will never forget, never rest, never be at peace with myself until this case is solved."

Adkins, 62, retired from the St. Louis Police Department in 1992. He now is chief of security at Lambert Field. In 34 years of police work, no case ever touched him as much as Jane Doe's.

It was Feb. 28, 1983, when Adkins - then commander of the city's homicide division - got the call for a dead body in the basement of an abandoned building at 5635 Clemens Avenue. Amid filth and debris, two men scavenging for copper had stumbled on the body of a girl about 9 years old. She had been murdered, raped and decapitated. Her hands were tied behind her back with a red-and-white nylon rope. She was wearing only a dirty yellow orlon sweater with the label cut out. She had two layers of red nail polish on her fingernails.

The girl had medium-to-dark skin, was about 5 feet 4 inches and weighed about 70 pounds. Her body showed no signs of previous abuse - no bruises, scars or broken bones, and she appeared to be well-nourished. Because there was no blood at the scene, police suspect Jane Doe was murdered and decapitated somewhere else and dumped into the basement of the building.

Adkins and his detectives spent thousands of hours on the case. Letters sent to every state police agency in the nation turned up nothing. City school records, woefully disorganized, yielded no clues to her identity. Adkins pleaded with the public to come forward with any scrap of information that would help identify the little girl.

No one did.

The child's body lay in the city morgue for several months, drawing a crowd of gawkers like some ghoulish carnival attraction. One day, a state legislator, with an entourage of people claiming to have psychic powers, showed up and demanded to see the body.

Jane Doe was finally buried Dec. 2, 1983, in a pauper's grave on the southern side of Washington Park Cemetery. Four mud-covered gravediggers carried her small, white casket adorned with a single spray of pink, white and yellow flowers. The ceremony lasted five minutes. Months later, a group of schoolchildren raised money to buy Jane Doe a tombstone.

Adkins went to the funeral, hoping that a friend or relative of Jane Doe might show up.

No one did.

Even though Adkins never wants to forget Jane Doe, he never visited the grave again. "I don't think I could bring myself to do it," Adkins said. "I get chills just thinking about it."

Over the years, an occasional lead revives the case. Several weeks after the murder, someone wrote a letter to the police, naming the supposed killer. Last year, police recovered a human skull purchased in a souvenir shop near Northwest Plaza. A forensic anthropologist determined the female skull was too old to be that of Jane Doe.

Police are now checking the life history of Samuel Ivery, a 35-year-old man sentenced to death for beheading a woman in Mobile, Ala. Ivery is a suspect in the 1992 beheadings of two women in East St. Louis. Between stints in mental hospitals, might Ivery have been in St. Louis at the time of Jane Doe's murder? For the moment, it's just a theory.

For 11 years, Adkins has had recurring nightmares about Jane Doe. In the dreams, he is standing in the cold basement at 5635 Clemens, looking at the body. Like the meticulous cop he was, Adkins is searching for clues, trying not to overlook anything. But there is something he misses - the tiny detail that could crack the case. He wakes up in a cold sweat. Now and then, Adkins will see something in a magazine - mention of a missing black child about the same age Jane Doe would be today - and mail it to Sgt. Joe Burgoon. Burgoon, one of the detectives originally assigned to the Jane Doe case, is still working on it. Last weekend, Burgoon teletyped a description of Jane Doe's body to every police department in the country. Maybe somebody, somewhere, knows something.

"The case is never closed," Burgoon said.

It is not the brutality of the crime that troubles Adkins after all this time; he has seen plenty of brutal murders. What bothered him then, bothers him still, is the thought of a child no one would come forward to claim.

"If we just knew who she was, I think it would be a burden lifted from my shoulders," Adkins said. "Where is the mother? Where is the father? Where are her brothers or sisters? Where are her relatives? Where are her playmates, friends or classmates? Where are her neighbors, her teachers? Where are the people who knew and cared for her? It's almost as if she didn't exist."

Almost.
</SPAN>geovisit();
visit.gif
visit.gif
serv

visit.gif

As a St.Louis resident the thing that irks me the most is even if something occured, someone was from, or a job was available in any of St.Louis's many suburbs or neighboring any St.Louis suburbs its still listed as St.Louis city. This crime occured in U-City, I as a St.Louis City employee cannot access county records. County is County and City is City ( I do background checks and retrieve police reports and if it occured in county which if it occured on this part of Tamm being county/different jurisdiction I don't have access to nearly as much as a county LE civilliam employee). I met someome who asked me where) I was from on the metro and I said Saint Louis City (Soulard) he said me too, I asked him where in city and he said Union (which isn't even in St.Louis County). When I looked for a job in Saint Louis will narrow it to St. Louis City and most of the listings will be in the county. Even the most west suburbs of West County will list themselves as St. Louis city. Its a very big pet peeve of mine.

Okay, made a call back, first thing I asked is if she was killed by manual or ligature strangulation, no idea, since her head was removed right above the shoulders.

Also, the information that she had been there 5 days could be very incorrect, as she was completely frozen and could have been there for 2 months, just as easily as 5 days.

She is not
Sharuan Cole
Toya Hill
Shaunda Green
Shelia Hill
She is not an unidentified indian girl that someone insisted had to he her.

Nikole Betterson has not been ruled out and neither has Kelly Staples.
Kelly Staples mother has to be found for DNA, since her father is dead and as of now, they can't find mother either.

As far as locating a parent, the men that found her body are clear as far as being a familial relation, as is Curtis Thomas, who lived a few blocks from her and decapitated his wife.

Heads up (no pun intended) if you try looking for her head, there was one in SC that looked good until it was established that it was the whole body, not the head and something got lost in translation. That might not have been corrected yet, so don't let it trip you up.

I lived in St. Louis for a while and rented apartments in the area she was found. She was found just a few blocks away from our apartments. When I was there (early 2000's), it was considered an area in "transition". I actually rented apartments like these that were revamped.

Whomever killed this child had to be at least a little familiar with the area. This isn't an area where you would wander around looking for a vacant building to dump a body- although until about 10 yrs ago- it was a very high crime area (was still heavy on burglaries and robbery while I was there) and I'm sure there were plenty of vacant buildings to do just that. The address where she was located is in the heart of the city and to find her, you had to really go inside the building. He had to be comfortable in that area. Outsiders would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

The rope used to tie her hands I believe was used primarily to facilitate the body dump. When they tied them around her wrists, they also went over her sweater, but there aren't any coresponding marks on the sweater. The drag marks on the front of her thighs say he just pulled her in and dumped her.

She may not be local, but no way her killer just stumbled into that building.

I hope wherever she is- she knows that she has not been forgotten.

Thanks for the imput as someoe that has lived in the city of St.louis for five years and had a father that moved when I was eight (twenty six years ago) I agree that when you lived there it was it in transition. At the time this happened it was not and crime was rampant, see my theads on boy being killed by dog in park and prostitute being found dead. At one time a gorgeous Catholic institution school lay nearby, it was torn down years ago. I remember as a child going into this neighborhood (as my dad a lawyer in Clayton had many clients that lived there that did not drive) visit to get documents signed etc and I remember him telling us to lock the doors. Even today I am amazed at how much this neighborhood has changed. It shows us how far a neighborhood can change for better, worse, and even better again. I too hope this crime gets solved. I as someone that live in a rehabed city neighborhood I hold out hope that all St.Louis historical neighborhoods will become what they once were. As a side not this crime occured in U-City not St. Louis City proper ( I have many close friends and ties in U-City and it being a bordering suburb of the city it shares in many of the historical history).

I wonder if she was a victim of human trafficking? If she is an immigrant, I am leaning towards Haitian...does anyone know if there is a large Haitian population there? Maybe that would have been a good place for the police to question people?

As someone that lives in St.Louis city I do encounter Haitan women and men on a weekly basis so that is not impossible.

The Doe Network:
Case File 86DFNY

Left: Cole in 1982; Right: Age-progressed to age 39 (circa 2010)

Sharaun Cole
Missing since February 25, 1983 from New York City, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: October 8, 1970
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"-5'7; 110-150 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes.
•Clothing: Beige jacket, blue jeans and blue & white sneakers.
•Other: Cole may use "October 8, 1969" as an alternate date of birth.
•DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cole was last seen outside her family's New York City home on February 25, 1983.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Cole's case, please contact:
New York City Police Department
1-212-694-7781
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: KNMP02618

NCMEC #: NCMC857497

NCIC Number: M-136482540
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Sharaun Cole has been ruled out, per the detective that has her case.

She is not
Sharuan Cole
Toya Hill
Shaunda Green
Shelia Hill
She is not an unidentified indian girl that someone insisted had to he her.

From India or a Native American?

I have always been really disturbed by what happened to this little girl and that she has remained unidentified.

I thought that maybe she wasn't African-American in origin, that her family might have been from India or Sri Lanka. If I am understanding you correctly, this is not the case? I am assuming that her race was determined by the color of her skin since her head was missing -- is this correct?

Also wondering about the tag being removed from her shirt, could indicate that she was a foster child or lived in a group home, an environment where her initials or name would have been written inside or maybe an out of country maker, which would also be telling.

Probably the tag on her sweater had her name written on it. I think most kids of grade school age write their names in their sweaters/coats so to know which one is yours if you take it off due to being overheated then put it back on when it gets colder. I don't think its indicative of her being a foster child or living in a group home.

I disagree that it was Alton. Although some things seem to fit, I have something to say here. You DON'T start out beheading a small child and moving to just strangeling and not removing heads. You start out just raping and murdering and move ON to cutting off heads. I could be wrong but that's what I think. You don't start out doing the worst and move on to lesser charges. I think this girl was someone's LAST victim, not their first or second.

I disagree with you about this and think that it is at least possible. For example, Randy Kraft decapitated at least two victims in the 1970s (a still unidentified man who was decapitated and dismembered in 1973 and Keith Daven Crotwell in 1975) and the majority of the rest were strangled and mutilated. Randy Kraft and Alton Coleman had really different victims.

I recently Googled this case not too long ago and I will never do that again. On some links they show the crime scene photo's. It is truly heartbreaking.

Sadly, it looks like they weren't able to exhume her because they don't know where she's buried. Her headstone wasn't on the right plot.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=192676

I can't find anymore articles saying they've located her remains. If anyone local knows if they've found her yet, please post. Thanks!

Never Forgotten.

Hi. I've been lurking on Websleuths and reading for awhile before I decided to get an account and post, in part because of this case. I was reading through this thread late last night and a thought occurred to me. Is it possible that the reason that the St. Louis detectives couldn't find school records for her because she was home-schooled? I don't know how common that practice was when this homicide took place, but could it possibly be the case?

I listed this slaying at #118 on my top 200 classic unsolved murder cases under the name Little Miss Jane Doe - a tragic and frustrating crime indeed.

Perhaps it has already been mentioned but there is a 10+ page account of the crime in Murderers Among Us (1991) by Stephen G. Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth.

Welcome to websleuths Imperfect Harmony.

:welcome:

Hi. I've been lurking on Websleuths and reading for awhile before I decided to get an account and post, in part because of this case. I was reading through this thread late last night and a thought occurred to me. Is it possible that the reason that the St. Louis detectives couldn't find school records for her because she was home-schooled? I don't know how common that practice was when this homicide took place, but could it possibly be the case?

Welcome. Thanks for bumping her case up. This case has always haunted me.

Welcome. Thanks for bumping her case up. This case has always haunted me.

Thanks. It has me too. It's just disturbing and sad to me that she died so brutally and nobody seems to miss her. It seems like she was just thrown away.

I was thinking about her during one of my breaks today, and I started wondering if the reason that nobody even reported her missing might be because she has no family...either due to them being in jail or not around for some other reason. I don't remember whether this has been brought up earlier in the thread or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam