New Search 9/12/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
One would assume they could tell right away if the bones had been there 50 years vs. 2 years...no?

I see the statement also as a guilty one. Release more info to minimize heartache because he knows it's not her body... JMO though.

Only JP or SP would know if this is Susans body or not.

For him to comment at all is rubbing salt in the wounds. All he has continue to do is cause more and more pain for the Cox Family. Guilt shows up in weird ways..they will never give up on finding Susan.

He would not survive if he did that kinda stuff in the hills of tennessee.

Glad a body was found..if not for Susans family then for another.

ShaunaKhorrami Shauna Khorrami
Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. At airport with two crews. #gdu #findsusan

NewsUtah NEWSUTAH
RT @ShaunaKhorrami: Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. #utah #findsusan

Clothing and jewelry could be key to identification too.
This is a pet peeve of mine. LE rarely will say if there is clothing found with/on the body. ??? Drives me nuts!!

"Hopefully there will be some artifacts that will help determine an age," she said. "We'll look for anything left or made by humans."

McCarthy said she'll be looking for artifacts as well as the soil and vegetation around the remains. Part of her job is also to determine whether the remains are Native American or European American. Depending on how old she determines the remains to be, an additional physical anthropologist expert from the BLM may be asked to respond to the scene Friday to also look at the remains, she said.

Police confirmed Wednesday afternoon that human remains were found in a remote area around Topaz Mountain. They would not describe the condition of the body or the remains, whether it was in a shallow grave or if anything else was found around the remains that might help to identify the person.

Powell's father, Chuck Cox, reportedly flew to Utah Thursday morning from his home in Washington state.

After the BLM completes its investigation, it will determine whether the remains should be left in place or if the state medical examiner should be called to the scene, said West Valley Police Lt. Bill Merritt.

While West Valley officials wait for word on whether they can examine the remains, a search of the area with cadaver dogs resumed Thursday. "We don't want to be sitting around doing nothing and wasting valuable time," Merritt said

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...vered-during-search-for-Susan-Cox-Powell.html

Hmmm. This comment from the Powell camp is interesting. Are they worried about something? I sure do hope so.

Yeah, it's almost like 'yeah, she's buried out there, but we're not sure you've got the right 'grave' or not so can you give us a clue so we know whether to run or not yet'

Morning everyone-

News doesn't sound too promising from the links I read just now?
Not that I want Susan to be deceased, but a swift, definitive answer for her family would be nice.

Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. At airport with two crews. #gdu #findsusan

NewsUtah NEWSUTAH
RT @ShaunaKhorrami: Josh Powell possibly landing in SLC any minute now. #utah #findsusan

Why? To check out the body in the camping site he's never been at?

Generally when remains are found LE is quick to say if it is male when they were searching for a female, and they haven't done so yet. Generally they are quick to say 'not her' if NA artificacs are found. Yet at this point they don't seem to know if they have a complete skeleton, if it is NA or not, or even if it is male or female.

That leads me to believe that the remains are only partially uncovered. Only enough is visable to say there are bones there, not enough to get any info about them.

But because of the procedures in place due to the tribal laws, procedures have to be followed to determine if this NA before they can even begin to uncover the remains.

Wonder what Josh is doing going to SLC? Turning himself in?

If the remains, in fact, are American Indan then NAGPRA- Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act is in effect because the land is BLM/Federal land. I am glad to see that they are following protocol; if the remains are American Indian then the local tribal officials will provide a reburial that is keeping in the culture of that tribe if the tribe of origin of the remains can't be determined.

http://www.nps.gov/history/nagpra/

Thank you for the insite and thanks to all who gave me info to help the pea brain of mine grasp this!! LOL

I don't really know what I am talking about here but I think the BLM being brought in is a procedural measure? Isn't this search in a different county? So could LE just proceed with excavating the area without getting the all clear from BLM as it could be a sacred buriel ground or something?

My gut says these are not NA remains because of the 'shallow grave' report. But what do I know? :D

MOO

wm

Just because it is a shallow grave doesn't mean it can't be an NA. Native American's are murdered everyday just like anyone else. The sacred buriel grounds question has crossed my mind too... along with the thought of bones that have been there awhile. I don't know if the weather and/or location would expose a deeper gravesite after many years...doesn't look like an area specific to runoff or erosion. ??

Hi ya'll... trying to get up to speed here, and answer a couple of SAR questions. Does anyone have the coordinates handy for the search area?

NewsUtah NEWSUTAH

For him to do that, there MUST be some clues in the area the are searching now. If he were confident they weren't going to find anything, I don't think he would have be coming out there on a last-minute flight. They are preparing for something... like someone else said.

I was wondering the same thing, but, since he has been to the area before, he could have prepared a grave site before hand, and simply drove and disposed of her, and covered her up.

Question: Will cadaver dogs hit on human bones regardless of age?

Good point! BTW love your pic and name!!

Yes is he answer to the cadaver dogs. We recently had CD's go to local cemetaries that were unmarked to find the deceased in order to put headstones.

Graves from the 1800's and the dogs did find them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot