New Search 9/12/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. "We" go by media/sources/twitter and "we" don't know, yet. jmo

Actually the presser had LE saying that human "remains" HAVE been found. I do not think that he would make such a claim if they were not already certain that it was remains that were found. They did find the remains using dogs; but not just MSM saying remains.

atecarlisle Nate Carlisle
WVCPD Lt. says shoveled about 1 foot deep and 2 feet wide as of 4:50 p.m. Dogs have smelled as deep as 12 feet before. #findSusan
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

natecarlisle Nate Carlisle
Excavation of site has begun but no human remains found yet, WVCPD lieutenant says. He says dogs still indicating, though. #findSusan

ETA so what did they look at today? confused?

I think this is what he was talking about in the press conference when he said, "(taking the other two dogs up there) will make sense when you know the whole story." (Paraphrased, a little.)

I bet they found disturbed ground, and they had five dogs confirm, separately, that the disturbed ground had human remains under it.

I bet they haven't actually SEEN anything, other than that. The BLM people came out today, not to look at actual bones, but to look at the disturbed ground, and to give their opinion that it wasn't an ancient grave.

Now they're digging, looking for whatever it is under the disturbed ground. They are two feet, at this point, and they have no idea how deep they'll have to go before they find something - whatever it is that five (and maybe seven) dogs found.

That's my guess, anyway.

snipped
As an aside, as much as i love my fellow posters, i cant escape the childhood superstitions of JINXING something by claiming to know for sure or have a gut feeling or any other definative conclusion of recovered remains identities. having been on this site for a while, i think many of us have experienced examples of this. I know it comes from a part of us that really wants to have answers to troubling cases, but i still shake my head everytime i read these proclamations. Dont bite my head off though, i really hope this is susan too.
I worry about jinxing too. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

JVM: guy from LE says they have found human remains.

Me: Whether they have seen them I guess remains to be known.

From the way I understood it, they found the bones earlier - now the dogs have hit on a separate site - that's what I was gathering anyway :)

Yeah, but have they actually said "bones?" Or is that just something the press said, and it took a life of its own?

Today, he was really careful about the "bones"/"human remains" distinction.

I think this is what he was talking about in the press conference when he said, "(taking the other two dogs up there) will make sense when you know the whole story." (Paraphrased, a little.)

I bet they found disturbed ground, and they had five dogs confirm, separately, that the disturbed ground had human remains under it.

I bet they haven't actually SEEN anything, other than that. The BLM people came out today, not to look at actual bones, but to look at the disturbed ground, and to give their opinion that it wasn't an ancient grave.

Now they're digging, looking for whatever it is under the disturbed ground. They are two feet, at this point, and they have no idea how deep they'll have to go before they find something - whatever it is that five (and maybe seven) dogs found.

That's my guess, anyway.
BBM

OK....somebody would have had to help jp then, digging that much he would get his hands dirty and I can't imagine that he EVER had a callous on his hand.

WVCPD Lt. says shoveled about 1 foot deep and 2 feet wide as of 4:50 p.m. Dogs have smelled as deep as 12 feet before. #findSusan

Excavation of site has begun but no human remains found yet, WVCPD lieutenant says. He says dogs still indicating, though. #findSusan

I'm confused, too? So they've been looking at an area where the dogs smell human remains but they haven't actually SEEN any remains at all with their eyes???? Huh??

Yeah, but have they actually said "bones?" Or is that just something the press said, and it took a life of its own?

Today, he was really careful about the "bones"/"human remains" distinction.

That's true, too.

I don't know if she (ME) will be allowed. BLM land = FEDERAL. Feds have to make that decision. The State of Utah will take a back seat, IMO.

Remember ... OKC bombing = A.P. Murrah Bldg = Federal case. Moved trial out of OK to CO to try the case.

IF this is Susan, would be good to get THIS case out of Utah, JMO.

BBM: I agree and I appreciate the information about the Feds needing to authorize the ME to go on the property.

I have always needed to be reminded that speculating or assuming is not helpful.

You were. Merci Beaucoup!

JVM just had a little blip with a recording showing LE saying they have found human remains. Then a short interview with Susan's friend saying she was anxious to find out if it's Susan or not.

JVM said they will cover Susan Powell on NG tonight.

BBM

OK....somebody would have had to help jp then, digging that much he would get his hands dirty and I can't imagine that he EVER had a callous on his hand.

He probably had a shovel with him that he dropped in a mine or something afterwards??? I don't know. He must have dug with some instrument other than his hands.

If they are just digging now, it is quite possible that once they actually get to the remains, there might be quite a lot there to tell them who this is as the body will still have clothing on it, teeth, etc.

I don't know if she (ME) will be allowed. BLM land = FEDERAL. Feds have to make that decision. The State of Utah will take a back seat, IMO.

Remember ... OKC bombing = A.P. Murrah Bldg = Federal case. Moved trial out of OK to CO to try the case.

IF this is Susan, would be good to get THIS case out of Utah, JMO.

You're absolutely right about that. I wonder how that would work. Because it's on federal land (if, for argument's sake, it's her), could they do this in federal court?

Utah has the death penalty, and they use it (even though it takes forever, like everywhere but Texas).

Why would they need to call in an anthropologist if they haven't seen bones yet? I'm assuming they have and that's how they know it's recent (in the last 10 years). If not, how would the anthro. know that it was recent from just looking at the soil.

Why would they need to call in an anthropologist if they haven't seen bones yet? I'm assuming they have and that's how they know it's recent (in the last 10 years). If not, how would the anthro. know that from just looking at the soil.

Hmm. I don't know. That's a good question.

Darn. I need a helicopter, to go see what they're doing!

BBM
I have been focusing on other things to keep my mind off of what will be a sad conclusion, Susan or not; I won't let myself follow gut feelings in this. That said, my nerves are shot since yesterday afternoon when the first info came out about remains. When I get nervous I cook, though I'm too nervous to eat anything. Today I have roasted a turkey[named him josh], made ALL of the side dishes plus rolls, a sweet potato pie and apple pie plus brownies and chocolate cake. Fortunately, when fam&friends find out your cooking they volunteer to come over. :)

The one thing is that there is a feeling of Peace. I so want Peace for the Coxes.

BBM:
:floorlaugh: "Today I have roasted turkey (named him JOSH)"

It is always good to name your food for people you are angry with. You can chew, nosh, and grind them into a pulp and not be charged with any crime. Feels good huh?

You're absolutely right about that. I wonder how that would work. Because it's on federal land (if, for argument's sake, it's her), could they do this in federal court?

Utah has the death penalty, and they use it (even though it takes forever, like everywhere but Texas).

I'm not sure about the court, but murder is generally a state charge unless you kill a federal employee like in OKC. And then, I believe the punishment can only be as severe as the laws in which the crime was committed will allow.

Thank you for the link Dr.
That article is very informative and the most recent information I have found.

I was not aware, yet, that the two new cadaver dogs brought into the area today also confirmed that these are the remains of a human being.
I guess the ME will have to get out of the office and into the field. Someone has to do it. If it were me, I would have been there yesterday. But, I digress.

The article may kind of explain why she wouldn't be rushing out there. the excavation would likely take several hours and they need daylight. Maybe that's why she would wait? I don't know.

WTH? So they believe it to be remains because of the cadaver dog hits but have nothing yet? I really don't know what to think of these investigators. First the bizarre media trip to various mines and now this. It just must all be a ploy to see how josh reacts and how he is affected. They must have FBI profilers working on the case and telling them what to do to get him to further implicate himself or give off a clue as to her whereabouts. Otherwise, none of it makes sense to me.

But if they have nothing yet, how do they know the remains are less than 10 years old? By the surrounding grave? So confusing.

I don't know if this clarifies anything about the 'remains' or makes it even more confusing (bbm):

.....Sgt. Powell said they could not yet identify the gender or other identifying clues that would lead police to believe it was Susan Cox Powell's body.

The sergeant would not call the remains "bones," and said that whatever police found may not have been visible to the human eye. The remains were found by cadaver dogs on Wednesday.

Two fresh cadaver dogs will be brought in to go over the patch of ground where the remains were found, and then a medical examiner will likely be called to begin the process of identifying them, Sgt. Powell said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/susan-powell-search-human-remains-desert-recent-cops/story?id=14525301

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member