Reasons why you think it could be suicide

Since nobody knows the exact cause of MS's accident, what exactly would be getting it right?

Stating the fact that no one knows the exact cause of MS's accident, instead of making up ridiculous stories.

Stating the fact that no one knows the exact cause of MS's accident, instead of making up ridiculous stories.

At least is not as ridiculous as claiming RN's brother was living in the guest house and found her body which fell to the ground after the rope broke.

At least is not as ridiculous as claiming RN's brother was living in the guest house and found her body which fell to the ground after the rope broke.

Who in the world is RN?

I didnt really mean to put it on record. And what record anyway? What I'm saying is that there seems to be a double standard on opinions. iMO

Never in the history of Websleuths has a truer statement been made. I just don't happen to agree with you on who's opinions are making this double standard evident.

I think she was less than sincere about why she quit her job. She obviously couldn't be taking care of JS's children full time because the children had mothers. I think she was more serious about the relationship than he was, and I think that she was frustrated that after 2 years, they weren't engaged. JMO

The article in the Daily beast, that you linked to this morning has a glowing statement from Rebecca's former boss. It speaks of her great work ethic and ability to learn. When did she say that she was caring for Jonah's children full time? I don't recall hearing or reading of her making that statement.

I agree that JS at one point must have liked RZ or he wouldn't have been sleeping with her. However, it appears that RZ wasn't happy in the relationship (if we believe the latest from her sister, which seems to contradict earlier statements the family has made). I personally believe - jmo - that JS was getting ready to break up with RZ.

It would be interesting if detectives were to check out RZ's background a little bit more. What was she doing prior to the 2-year job she quit? Where did she receive her education? Who were her friends? What was her job history like?

This is a woman who was recently divorced, had no job, and complained frequently to her sister about her relationship. Doesn't seem like she was too happy, fulfilled, or had lots of friendships going on. She certainly didn't have any friends texting or calling her in recent days, according to her phone records.

JMO

Again, you can address many of the questions you raise, by referring yourself to the Daily Beast article that you posted a link to.

And please tell me how you KNOW that Rebecca 'complained frequently' to her sister about her relationship? I hardly see a text in January as being frequent. Some links to support your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

No one knows what Rebecca was thinking the night she died. Even JS and Rebecca's sister cannot claim they know exactly what Rebecca's state of mind was that night. But regardless what she felt about her situation, the Shacknais, and her relationship with JS, if she committed suicide (be it out of guilt, desperation, hatred, revenge, attention seeking), she still had to 1. know how to tie the boating knots. 2. be able to defy the law of physics to jump from tiptoed position six inches forward, eight inches to the left, and high enough to make her center of gravity over the 37" balcony railing to fall out, all in one single attempt. See "The geometry in Rebecca’s fall"
http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/14/rebecca-zahau-case-the-geometry-in-rebeccas-fall/. Val's analysis was completely based on data. No emotions. No guess work on Rebecca's state of mind. Just plain math. And his analysis showed that Rebecca's suicide was pretty much impossible.

In terms of the riddle message. Here is my theory. The killer had a co-conspirator. They had already walked through the whole process including the "suicide note", which should show Rebecca's emotional distress over Max's injury. When they talked about it, they used the third party word "she" in their discussion. When the killer was executing the plot, he scanned his brain and wrote down the notes from his memory. But out of the time contraint, the nervousness, and the panic, he forgot that he should be writing on behalf of Rebecca and replace the word "she" with "I". The message was intended to read "I saved him. Can you save me?" The killer simply made a mistake in my opinion.

No one knows what Rebecca was thinking the night she died. Even JS and Rebecca's sister cannot claim they know exactly what Rebecca's state of mind was that night. But regardless what she felt about her situation, the Shacknais, and her relationship with JS, if she committed suicide (be it out of guilt, desperation, hatred, revenge, attention seeking), she still had to 1. know how to tie the boating knots. 2. be able to defy the law of physics to jump from tiptoed position six inches forward, eight inches to the left, and high enough to make her center of gravity over the 37" balcony railing to fall out, all in one single attempt. See "The geometry in Rebecca’s fall"
http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/14/rebecca-zahau-case-the-geometry-in-rebeccas-fall/. Val's analysis was completely based on data. No emotions. No guess work on Rebecca's state of mind. Just plain math.

In terms of the riddle message. Here is my theory. The killer had a co-conspirator. They had already walked through the whole process including the "suicide note", which should show Rebecca's emotional distress over Max's injury. When they talked about it, they used the third party word "she" in their discussion. When the killer was executing the plot, he scanned his brain and wrote down the notes from his memory. But out of the time contraint, the nervousness, and the panic, he forgot that he should be writing on behalf of Rebecca and replace the word "she" with "I". The message was intended to read "I saved him. Can you save me?" The killer simply made a mistake in my opinion.

So we're expected to read someone was able to pull of a murder so devious they fooled police but couldn't remember to change a pronoun?

Also, the knots RZ used were slip knots. Hardly rocket science.

She was athletic, too. “She could run like a gazelle. She ran up Camelback Mountain in 32 minutes, and competed in last year’s Rock ’n’ Roll Marathon—26.2 miles—without even training for it,” says another friend.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/09/18/what-really-happened-in-the-coronado-mansion.html

If she could run like a gazelle, and was as athletic as claimed, I see no reason why she couldn't manage to commit suicide the way it was claimed.

IMO

So we're expected to read someone was able to pull of a murder so devious they fooled police but couldn't remember to change a pronoun?

Also, the knots RZ used were slip knots. Hardly rocket science.

1. Murderers (even those who almost comitted perfect murders) made stupid mistakes. Plenty murderers left their personal clothes at the scene. There was a professional killer who left his mail package at the door of the victim' house. Plus Rebecca's death was not even close to a perfect crime. If it was, you won't see 80% of people surveyed call it murder. Weren't for SDPD's suspiciously shoddy work, the case might have been resolved yesterday.

2. I am sure tying slip knots is not rocket science, if you get a chance to learn it. However, the point is, most people don't have a chance to learn it. So they don't have a clue how to tie it. The easiness to acquire a skill has nothing to do with the popularity of a skill. Changing car's transmission fluid is also not rocket science. How many people can actually do it? This "piece-of-cake" knot tying skill by someone who has boating knowledge happens not to be known by any of my friends, including engineers, doctors, and i-bankers.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/09/18/what-really-happened-in-the-coronado-mansion.html

If she could run like a gazelle, and was as athletic as claimed, I see no reason why she couldn't manage to commit suicide the way it was claimed.

IMO

The article also talks about her good work ethics and habits. There are actually MANY nice things about Rebecca in the article. Which is the one thing I liked about it.

No matter how well you can run, you can not defy gravity. There is not a logical way, with on one set of toe prints, from one foot, that Rebecca could have gone over the balcony that way. Remember her hands were tied behind her back and her feet were also bound. Why only toe prints from 1 foot, since they were attached? Where is the marks from the rope dragging behind Rebecca?

1. Murderers (even those who almost comitted perfect murders) made stupid mistakes. Plenty murderers left their personal clothes at the scene. There was a professional killer who left his mail package at the door of the victim' house. Plus Rebecca's death was not even close to a perfect crime. If it was, you won't see 80% of people surveyed call it murder. Weren't for SDPD's suspiciously shoddy work, the case might have been resolved yesterday.

2. I am sure tying slip knots is not rocket science, if you get a chance to learn it. However, the point is, most people don't have a chance to learn it. So they don't have a clue how to tie it. The easiness to acquire a kill has nothing to do with the popularity of a skill. Changing car's transmission fluid is also not rocket science. How many people can actually do it? This "piece-of-cake" knot tying skill by someone who has boating knowledge happens not to be known by any of my friends, including engineers, doctors, and i-bankers.

Since RZ went boating with JS, I'm sure she knew how to tie a slip knot. I've been able to tie one since kindergarten.

Since RZ went boating with JS, I'm sure she knew how to tie a slip knot. I've been able to tie one since kindergarten.

Did rz go boating with js? Links would be appreciated. Tia

The end of the orange-red braided marine towing rope which formed a noose around Ms. Zahau's neck, was anchored using a slip knot to a leg of the bed in her room. As someone has pointed out to us, there is a measurement showing the initial imprint of the bed leg, and the distance that it was moved, allegedly as a result of the weight of Ms. Zahau's body, when she allegedly hung herself.

If the bed's leg did in fact move, it would have been dragged across the carpet, leaving a skid mark or trail in the nap of the rug. In the photo, there is no sign of such a disturbance.

This is an excerpt from the below link
http://www.examiner.com/news-analysi...her-last-hours

I posted this on another thread but thought it was worth it to post here as well. Why no drag marks on the rug?

Yes, could have. In order to give the article any credence whatsoever the author, at the very least, should have checked his facts. Posts here on WS is not a bimonthly published magazine written for a mass audience with a subscription circulation of 291,989 touting "experts" as it's authors. I do believe Psychology Today should be held to a higher standard than that of a crime sleuthing website posting opinions and theories, although, it is glaringly obvious that WSers are more capable at finding facts than the author of this article.JMOFWIW.

ITA, Truth!

As a poster on a true crime message board, I try my best to post accurate information, based on available facts, in order to contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way. There have been times when I've misinterpreted a fact, or have overlooked a fact, and posted erroneous information. When that happens, I'm embarrassed, acknowledge my mistake, and vow to be more meticulous. I think we've all been there @ one point or another, haven't we?

On the other hand, if I were to write an article that was chock-full of misinformation & inaccuracies from start to finish, and publish that article in a nationally circulated periodical that is purportedly devoted to publishing factual information, I think I'd be well-advised to switch to publishing fantasy stories for the tabloids.

Another thing: where was the editor when this piece went to press? Did the Ph.D title give the author carte blanche to write whatever he wished, with no regard for fact-checking? It would appear so, IMO.

Who in the world is RN?
It was RZ's married name that she was first referred to when this happened Nalepa until it was found out that she had claimed her maiden name in court in the end of June and from then on was referred to as RZ.

Sorry deanna I should have read further lol

You might be able to fly an airplane too. But it only says you are not like most people.

Most people who go boating occasionally with a friend still don't know how to tie the boating knots. Several TV anchors (Dr. Drew for one example) openly commented they had no idea how to tie the knots shown in SDPD's video demonstration. I suppose at least some of these TV anchors went boating before.

RZ's sister said that they did not grow up around water. They learned how to swim when they became adults. Her assertion that Rebecca would not know how to tie boating knots does not sound unreasonable.

You might be able to fly an airplane too. But it only says you are not like most people.

Most people who go boating occasionally with a friend still don't know how to tie the boating knots. Several TV anchors (Dr. Drew for one example) openly commented they had no idea how to tie the knots shown in SDPD's video demonstration. I suppose at least some of these TV anchors went boating before.

RZ's sister said that they did not grow up around water. They learned how to swim when they became adults. Her assertion that Rebecca would not know how to tie boating knots does not sound unreasonable.

I'll bet she also maintains her sister never would have shoplifted either.

I'll bet she also maintains her sister never would have shoplifted either.

I don't think Rebecca's shoplifting has anything to do with her death, suicide or homicide. But I am curious for one thing. Didn't JS and DS check Rebecca's background? I heard DS was especially cautious as to who would be around her son. Most people check background on nannies and house managers. Rebecca of course was not a household staff. But maybe they didn't think shoplifting was too big a deal.

I don't think Rebecca's shoplifting has anything to do with her death, suicide or homicide. But I am curious for one thing. Didn't JS and DS check Rebecca's background? I heard DS was especially cautious as to who would be around her son. Most people check background on nannies and house managers. Rebecca of course was not a household staff. But maybe they didn't think shoplifting was too big a deal.

People do things that their family never thinks that they would. Like shoplifting. Like suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back