Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no psychiatrist, but do you all think he is a sociopath or just a man with low self esteem that needs to belittle others by abusing them (his wife & kids) and controlling them catching them in their most private times in their must vulnerable state (nude).

Or something else besides the obvious - pervert and deviant!

I'm leaning towards sociopath but dear God that term is used all the time! Can there really be so many? :(

O/T I bet he has a really small.... microphone? You know when he sings. :giggle:

Well I am going to say it even though most will disagree. I can see Josh being innocent of murdering Susan and Steven guilty. I believe Josh knew afterwards but really see Steven with his obsession for susan being the one to attack her. I mean he kept her underwear for goodness sakes.

Thanks.

Where is Josh's mother? Has she ever been interviewed?

What this looks like to me is a conflict with his mother CREATED AND PROMOTED by Steven Powell. Just like with Susan. He also used the same wedge - religion.

Steven Powell created a monster capable of murder through ruining all the love Josh could have had. He took away his mother, his wife, his faith, his community.

There is a special place in Hell for Steven Powell.

I agree with you completely!

I have never seen anything from JP's mother at all, I would really be interested to see what she has to say about her son and her ex-husband.

SP seems to have had this hold over almost all of his children, he used everyone to his advantage it seems. I would assume that the abuse (emotional and possibly verbal) continued with his children into aduthood. I mean, how normal is it to have your grown children all living in your home and you are the only one with a job? It seems to me he made them all feel worthless and made them worship him. It's a sick dynamic to imagine.

This is all JMHO :blowkiss:

Hey there

I'm in the UK but have been following Susan's case since she went missing. I RARELY post but read lots here and love WS members ideas. I arrived home from work this afternoon and I've got to say I'm stunned at the news of the FIL's arrest.

I've been loosley following the searches on Topaz (I think it's Topaz) Mountain and did not expect this turn of events today.

My reason for posting today is to give you guys respect and credit as you pegged SP a long long time ago as 'not quite right' (putting it mildly) and to see your gut instincts were proved...well I'm just in awe.

To bring it back to the focal point of Susan I really hope this now starts to unravel and finally this lady, who's smile I see when I click a link to her story, gets the closure she deserves.

I am so sick of hearing of these 'disposable' Wives and Mothers and those poor Boys must miss her terribly.

West Valley City police who reviewed seized videotapes and CDs, which were reportedly taken from Steven Powell’s bedroom during the Aug. 25 raid, "found thousands of images of females being videotaped without their knowledge, including Susan Powell. The photographer focuses on the women’s buttocks, breasts, and genital areas. Many images were of minor females," Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a statement released to The Associated Press.

The images included shots of two girls who were as young as 8 and 10 years old at the time of the recording, the prosecutor said.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52628210-78/powell-steven-susan-west.html.csp

God bless all the women and children he violated. I could just cry. Cry for all these women and children, and cry for the hell Susan went through for so long.

Powell expected to appear in court today to answer voyeurism charges

"Steven C. Powell, the father-in-law of a missing Utah mother, is expected to make his first court appearance this afternoon on charges of voyeurism and possession of inappropriate pictures of minors."

"We will update this post when Powell appears in court."

Here's the whole article: Powell expected to appear in court today to answer voyeurism charges

Just got up and had to check - NO BAIL. I'm so pleased :)

Too bad SP made all those trips here and there -- a definite flight risk!

MOO

Mel

My heart just aches more for Susan...you knew the guy was a creep and a perv, but to this level? Total effing . I hope he never gets out of jail.

JP doesn't have a job does he? Wonder how he's going to support himself now that daddy is in the clink. No emotional support either, and no control over his at home family.

Oh Lord, please let this bring us closer to Susan.

West Valley City police who reviewed seized videotapes and CDs, which were reportedly taken from Steven Powell’s bedroom during the Aug. 25 raid, "found thousands of images of females being videotaped without their knowledge, including Susan Powell. The photographer focuses on the women’s buttocks, breasts, and genital areas. Many images were of minor females," Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a statement released to The Associated Press.

The images included shots of two girls who were as young as 8 and 10 years old at the time of the recording, the prosecutor said.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52628210-78/powell-steven-susan-west.html.csp

God bless all the women and children he violated. I could just cry. Cry for all these women and children, and cry for the hell Susan went through for so long.

I bet they are going through those pictures fast and furiously attempting to make sure all of those women and children are within reach and not "missing" as well.

No wonder investigators were satisfied with what they found when they searched the home.

Oh my God. What if Stephen knew Josh took the kids camping, and knew he'd have time alone with Susan who he was obsessed with, and came and started showing her the pics and videos, maybe of her, then accidentally played a video of the kids, and Susan got angry and threatened to report him to LE, and he 'got rid of her'.

Oh my God, I'm just nauseous. Susan, what happened to you? :(

OMG, remember that (IIRC) JP's sis said SP gave Susan naked men pics? OMG, this is a monster totally turned on sexually by anything. Men, women, kids and I think BOY & GIRL kids.

OMG, this is so sick!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, perhaps she discovered some of these sick, twisted family secrets, and was going to blow the whistle on them. There is definitely more than one in this family with a motive. SP could have killed her to keep her quiet and JP had possibly a couple of reasons. To protect his Daddy and that Susan wanted out of this sick family.

I truly believe it is all starting to unravel. The whole bizarre living arrangements of all these adults is so abnormal. I wouldn't be surprised if he had other family members in the photos along with Susan. Maybe this will have all of them singing like a canary.

Somewhere in this sick sordid family is the truth to what happened to Susan.

It may also be as simple as her discovering he was photographing her secretly and she decided that this was a good enough reason to pitch her husband and perhaps go to the police.

He's a sick, weak, little perv....that pic of him getting arrested is telling. He's evil too...and at that moment was blaming everyone but himself. Can you imagine the influence he had on his own children.....this isn't just being dysfunctional. They prolly all need long term therapy. If I were him, I'd be glad I was going somewhere safe...and away from the father's of the little ones...or their wives. imo

totally agree with you but as a single mother......i just gotta say that cretins such as this need fear me FAR more than they need fear any man on the planet.

Full text of press release from Pierce County prosecutor's office last night. Not snipping because anything written by the government is public domain, and can not be copyrighted. (But mods snip of course if necessary.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 22, 2011

Regarding: Puyallup resident Steven Powell arrested for voyeurism involving children

At 9:30 p.m. on September 22, 2011, Pierce County Sheriff’s detectives arrested 61-year-old Steven C. Powell at his residence in the 18600 block of 94th Ave. Ct. E. in the Puyallup area of Pierce County. Powell was arrested on a warrant issued by the Pierce County Superior Court charging him with fourteen counts of Voyeurism involving two child victims and one count of Possession of Depictions of Minor Engaged in Sexually Explicit Conduct in the 2nd degree.

On August 25, 2011, detectives from the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department and the West Valley City Police Department served a search warrant at Steven Powell’s residence seeking evidence in the investigation of Susan Powell’s disappearance from West Valley, UT, in December of 2009. At the time of the search, the residence was occupied by Steven Powell, his son Joshua Powell, Joshua and Susan Powell’s two young sons, and two other adult members of the Powell family. The search of the Powell residence resulted in the seizure of numerous photographs and video recordings.

On September 13, 2011, West Valley City Police detectives informed the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department that while reviewing the seized photographs and video recordings they had discovered numerous images and recordings of adult and juvenile females. The images appeared to be obtained without the consent or awareness of the persons in the pictures and videos. In some of the images and videos the persons were often nude or in some state of undress. Some of the images were focused on females’ buttocks, breasts, or private areas; some were taken in public places, while others appeared to be taken of the victims in their homes without their knowledge or consent.

On September 17, 2011, Pierce County Sheriff’s detectives obtained an additional search warrant to process the evidence seized from the Powell residence by the West Valley City Police. The warrant was sought to further investigate Steven Powell for the possible crimes of voyeurism and/or child *advertiser censored*. Pierce County Sheriff’s detectives were able to identify and contact several victims, including minors and adults. None of the alleged victims said they had granted permission to, or were even aware of, being photographed or videotaped in their homes.

On September 22, 2011, Pierce County Sheriff’s detectives formally presented their investigation for review by the Pierce County Prosecutor’s Office. Following the review the warrant was issued for Steven Powell’s arrest.

NOTE: The investigation and arrest of Steven Powell is not related directly to the missing person case of Susan Powell. Please direct all inquiries regarding the arrest of Steven Powell to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department. Detective Ed Troyer will be available for interviews at the County-City Building at 10:15 p.m.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-powell-press-release-20110922,0,3774658.story

Josh has a unique opportunity to pin whatever happened on his father and claim some type of PTSD or fear or psych damage if he assisted in the crime against his wife.

He needs to take it.

Huh. He is an all around stand up guy, isnt he? :banghead::sick:

Can we please not talk about him being a "stand up guy," please? :sick: I'm sure that's not what you meant, but that's (unfortunately) what I'm thinking about. EWWW!!!!

Well I am going to say it even though most will disagree. I can see Josh being innocent of murdering Susan and Steven guilty. I believe Josh knew afterwards but really see Steven with his obsession for susan being the one to attack her. I mean he kept her underwear for goodness sakes.

With his line of work he could of hired someone to do it. I just can't see either one having the b_____ to do it. jmo

My heart has always gone out for Susan's family - parents and boys. The sick pervs that caused the boys the loss of their mother, their home, and everything they know. Kids give unconditional love even when abused so even though it is for a better future, they have to be so scared and confused. I hope, as others experienced in foster care have posted, they have been given to the very best fosters there is. Just the start in the healing that will need to be ongoing for a long time. Damn the pervs

I'd like to also add I wondered if JP was molested by his father, thought about it a few weeks ago but never felt the necessity to state such. It doesn't dismiss JP's actions or part.

BBM. That was exactly my thoughts. Either JP was going to be embarassed if SP reported her perverted FIL SP and JP was possibly letting his father molest his sons also because he is so sick he thinks it is normal. :banghead:

IMO, Susan found out and was fixing to turn in SP and SP IS HER KILLER!

I have no doubt that SP molested his daughter. She just had that look and anger on her face when she emphatically denied what awful things SP said about Susan coming onto him.

May they now find Susan's body. They have the person in custody responsible IMO.

Well, I was surprised at Steven's arrest, but yet NOT! I knew he was creepy, but this is waayyyy more than I thought! Children? OMGosh!

Poor Susan.:( She tried to tell Josh his dad was creepy and he blew her off! No wonder she wouldn't let him in her house. I wouldn't let him in my house either!

Can you just imagine the FORMER female friend of his that came forward recently? I would imagine she's stunned by this. Bet she had no idea he was in to KIDS? She's probably been in the shower since she heard the news, trying to get that {icky} feeling to go away. To think that she once, MAYBE, liked the guy. :sick:

Anyway, this is what S and J get for throwing that BS around about Susan. I think just about everyone in America knew what S was saying was a :liar:.

I couldn't stand the smirk S had in his interviews that he spoke about Susan. Now he's getting MORE air-time than he ever dreamed of! Just not exactly the TYPE he expected. Somehow he may have thought he'd become famous when he recently went public with his story. Now it's quite the opposite, he's infamous, and I don't think he wants to find out how they treat child predators in jail! I definitely would NOT want to be him. :behindbar

When I think of how much fun and frolick my three younger daughters used to have in their bath when they'd take it together. They could spend an hour washing each other's hair and throwing bubbles around. I can't imagine how I'd feel knowing someone like this was taking photos for his sick obsession. I would be livid and in tears!

Well, LE got SOME of what they were after. :sleuth: Now for JP to spill the beans!

We are almost certain you know where she is Josh. Now give!

WHERE IS SUSAN!?:maddening:

JMHO
fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads