Post-Verdict:Jose Baez-Sanctions? Florida Bar Investigation!

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...10817_1_dominic-casey-jose-baez-casey-anthony

Jose Baez being investigated by The Florida Bar for Casey Anthony probation issue

In that order, Perry took up the issue with the attorneys too, saying that, "the failure to abide by that order and the failure to notify the court of a known scrivener's error in the order may be a violation of an attorney's duty of candor."

"No attorney should conduct himself or herself in a way that impedes an order of the court. ... Our system of justice should never be in the position of rewarding someone who willfully hides the ball."

---from the news thread: "okiedokietoo" :

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/18/florida.jose.baez/
Complaint filed against Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez

As with all such complaints, a panel of attorneys in the area where the complaint originated -- in this case, in Orlando -- will investigate, said Lyle. That legal panel, after hearing from the accused, could turn over the case to a grievance committee consisting of other lawyers and citizens if it decides that rules regarding professional conduct had been violated.

The grievance committee would then decide if there is probable cause for a violation. Ultimately, the complaint may be heard by Florida's Supreme Court -- with possible penalties for the lawyer including probation, suspension or revocation of his law license, according to Lyle.

I don't think his previous Bar complaints went as far as the Grievance committee.....

I don't think his previous Bar complaints went as far as the Grievance committee.....

It will be interesting to see which two complaints they are,

It is not clear exactly what the two complaints involve, but they do cover Baez's representation of Casey Anthony, according to the Bar.

As many times as HHBP scolded/coached/schooled JB during the trial, it is difficult to even speculate what the complaints pertain to, the possibilities are endless LOL :)

Well, well...I guess The FL Bar took Baez up on his challenge!

Wonder if he'll have TMZ update his "bring it on, I ain't scared" story? ;)

Baez's initial response in August when complaint filing was reported by MSM.
CASEY ANTHONY'S LAWYER: Bring on the Investigation!

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/18/jose-...robation-complaint-hiding-information-ethics/

Oh...and yes, according to the OS link today in the news thread; the other prior complaints against Baez never made it this far --- to Grievance Committee!

IMO...If they let JB off with a slap on the hand it will open up a can of worms better left closed. Remember JB's flip comment, something to the effect that when the complaints are dismissed? Hope that comes back to bite him. He's trying to run over the big dogs, Perry & Strictland, and I can't see either one of these judges taking any ambulance chasers guff without putting JB in his place. If it's true... isn't it funny how JB is in Aruba as a "forensics" advisor and not GG lawyer or co-counsel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I realize he can't practice there but it seems odd to me. The bikini salesman needs to be taken to task for his more than bad behavior and legal misconduct and especially his so called OS theory. I'm sure he will claim in true Baez fashion...sour grapes but most people know what thats about! He needs to be disbarred and go into the entertainment business..thats where his true calling is..
I've always thought him and FCA share things in common which is why they had such a tight bond. I remember the day of her hearing, when she walked in expecting to go home and the smile was removed from her face by Judge P. She was talking to JB and looking very deeply at him with some connection obvious to me, a cross between friendship and girlfriend look. I have given that look to a few ex boyfriends whom I got to know VERY well and then we decided to be friends instead...( I really wish I had some emoticons right now)
FCA knows very well how to play men, play to their weaknesses and in JB's case, his male ego is no different that any other man. I wonder if she ever met a man that it didn't work on, any guy she knows that didn't give her what she wanted end up dead...as far as we know of?
I think there's a tree peeing contest going on and JB is going to come up short...LOL

JMO

I wonder which committee he will face. There are 6 in the district.

Well, well, well! Why oh why does my day suddenly look a whole lot brighter! :floorlaugh: Now we know another reason why Baez has been relatively quiet about the Anthony trial and why he keeps putting his mug in front of the camera...wonder how this fits with him being a guest speaker at the Spanish speaking lawyers convention? :waitasec:

But, wasn't Baez boasting recently to "bring it on" because he'd already had some 20 Bar complaints and it was all no sweat?

IMO...If they let JB off with a slap on the hand it will open up a can of worms better left closed. Remember JB's flip comment, something to the effect that when the complaints are dismissed? Hope that comes back to bite him. He's trying to run over the big dogs, Perry & Strictland, and I can't see either one of these judges taking any ambulance chasers guff without putting JB in his place. If it's true... isn't it funny how JB is in Aruba as a "forensics" advisor and not GG lawyer or co-counsel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I realize he can't practice there but it seems odd to me. The bikini salesman needs to be taken to task for his more than bad behavior and legal misconduct and especially his so called OS theory. I'm sure he will claim in true Baez fashion...sour grapes but most people know what thats about! He needs to be disbarred and go into the entertainment business..thats where his true calling is..
I've always thought him and FCA share things in common which is why they had such a tight bond. I remember the day of her hearing, when she walked in expecting to go home and the smile was removed from her face by Judge P. She was talking to JB and looking very deeply at him with some connection obvious to me, a cross between friendship and girlfriend look. I have given that look to a few ex boyfriends whom I got to know VERY well and then we decided to be friends instead...( I really wish I had some emoticons right now)
FCA knows very well how to play men, play to their weaknesses and in JB's case, his male ego is no different that any other man. I wonder if she ever met a man that it didn't work on, any guy she knows that didn't give her what she wanted end up dead...as far as we know of?
I think there's a tree peeing contest going on and JB is going to come up short...LOL

JMO

Let's face it - if Jose is going up against HHBP in that kind of contest, we have to assume Jose won't even be able to find the tree,

He is such small potatoes in the legal world, It sure would be nice if Richard Hornsby could wonder through and comment, but I don't suppose he can...politically...

bobkealing bob kealing
#fla bar confirms two complaints re #josebaez and his rep of #caseyanthony now with Grievance Committee. The Bar's version of a grand jury.

Does anyone know what this means? IOW did his complaints ever get this far before or were they dismissed before going to the Grievance Committee?

A Grievance Committee investigates and adjudicates violations. Generally, they are organized by area of violation - for example, ethics, unauthorized practice of law, etc. The list of Committee members is generally more than who will hear the complaint, as members must recuse themselves if there's a conflict with them adjudicating the complaint. The investigation stage takes a LONG time. The attorney I work for is on a committee, and he began handling a very minor infraction in comparison to Baez before I started working in March. They are just now wrapping up investigation and moving on to adjudication. It took 8-9 months for one tiny complaint. These investigations are done with quite a bit of confidentiality as well, so we probably will not hear much for a while as the committee investigates.

looking at previous judgments the best we can hope for is a 90 day suspension. It seems it takes quite a bit to be completely disbarred. I wish I knew what 2 complaints were filed, and by whom!
****a completely different lawyer, but sounds like something Baez would do as well****
Naples, suspended for 45 days, effective 30 days and further, placed on probation for two years, following an Aug. 30 court order. (Admitted to practice: 1991) Schelling provided improper financial assistance to a client. He advanced funds totaling $6,000 to a woman to assist her in covering her living expenses, including funds advanced from his trust account. (Case No. SC11-433)

Perhaps Baez is advancing funds to casey to live? *L*

A Grievance Committee investigates and adjudicates violations. Generally, they are organized by area of violation - for example, ethics, unauthorized practice of law, etc. The list of Committee members is generally more than who will hear the complaint, as members must recuse themselves if there's a conflict with them adjudicating the complaint. The investigation stage takes a LONG time. The attorney I work for is on a committee, and he began handling a very minor infraction in comparison to Baez before I started working in March. They are just now wrapping up investigation and moving on to adjudication. It took 8-9 months for one tiny complaint. These investigations are done with quite a bit of confidentiality as well, so we probably will not hear much for a while as the committee investigates.

thanks so much for the information but you are kind of a party pooper...with respect of course....:D

thanks so much for the information but you are kind of a party pooper...with respect of course....:D

Think positive :) We could see a full 90 days that JB wouldn't be able to go on TMZ representing his "client" And think how much GA would love any type of sanction.:waitasec:

looking at previous judgments the best we can hope for is a 90 day suspension. It seems it takes quite a bit to be completely disbarred. I wish I knew what 2 complaints were filed, and by whom!
****a completely different lawyer, but sounds like something Baez would do as well****

Perhaps Baez is advancing funds to casey to live? *L*

I'm in Ohio, but it's difficult to get completely disbarred here as well. I think you're probably right.

Haha, I know. And unfortunately, I have to agree with sumbunny - it's unlikely Baez will be disbarred, from what I've seen (if Florida is anything like Ohio). It has to be pretty big, or a deluge of complaints, for disbarring someone. Given the attention this case received, though, the committee may decide to set a precedent, just to send a message.

I'm in Ohio, but it's difficult to get completely disbarred here as well. I think you're probably right.

Haha, I know. And unfortunately, I have to agree with sumbunny - it's unlikely Baez will be disbarred, from what I've seen (if Florida is anything like Ohio). It has to be pretty big, or a deluge of complaints, for disbarring someone. Given the attention this case received, though, the committee may decide to set a precedent, just to send a message.

LOL - Just teasing you - I wasn't thinking he would be disbarred, but I sure would settle for a big smackeroo and a huge fine levied, plus a whole bunch of public embarrassment. Being disbarred is what I think he deserves as a lawyer, but I know you have to be very extreme in not defending your client to actually have it happen. Even if I have been wishing on a star...

There's zippo chance JB will be disbarred for complaints relating to his unethical behavior relating to FCA's probation.

(Absolutely the LACK OF DISCLOSURE compliant, IMO!)

Perry painted possible charges against JB in bright neon in his probation decision, saying, as I recall, words to the affect that :

1-- JB had demonstrated a professional lack of candor in willfully/deliberately ignoring a judge's/court's ruling about FCA's probation, AND

2-- that JB's said behavior was harmful to/undermined the legal system, essentially, because it affected the public's perception of justice and/or the legal process

Uncoincidentally, you will find 2 exactly on-point sections of the FL bar's Grievance Committee's page explaining sanctions:

See: "Lack of Candor" and "Violations of Duties Owed to the Public" at this link:

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBLa...ca758a1382421b60852574ba00649949?OpenDocument

Perry couldn't have made it any plainer, IMO. My best guess is that JB is either admonished (lowest form of punishment) on each count, or at worst, publically reprimanded on each count, the next step up of punishment.

Adding- if the GC goes for the jugular (very atypical), it could certainly get JB on "Abuse of the Legal Process," Section 6.22.

JB admitted for the record, in front of Perry, that he was aware of Strickland's order and aware that it wasn't being followed (by letting FCA go free instead of reporting for probation), but that he felt no duty to inform the court.

A suspension of his license for that dereliction would clearly conform to the GC's procedure. We'll see.

It will be interesting to see which two complaints they are,

It is not clear exactly what the two complaints involve, but they do cover Baez's representation of Casey Anthony, according to the Bar.

As many times as HHBP scolded/coached/schooled JB during the trial, it is difficult to even speculate what the complaints pertain to, the possibilities are endless LOL :)

@bobkealing
bob kealing #Fla bar: "lack of disclosure" and "misrepresentation"“@MichaelAndWendi: @bobkealing what are the two complaints?”

@bobkealing
bob kealing They won't be more specific“@yieldcurve23: @MichaelAndWendi mis representaion - from his opening statement?”

I wonder if the disclosure could be the discover violation(s). Maybe HHJP gave it to them rather than charge him with contempt himself?

@bobkealing
bob kealing #Fla bar: "lack of disclosure" and "misrepresentation"“@MichaelAndWendi: @bobkealing what are the two complaints?”

@bobkealing
bob kealing They won't be more specific“@yieldcurve23: @MichaelAndWendi mis representaion - from his opening statement?”

I wonder if the disclosure could be the discover violation(s). Maybe HHJP gave it to them rather than charge him with contempt himself?

I would think the "lack of disclosure" stems from his failure to notify the court of the error in the probation order. The "misrepresentation"? Well, take your pick! Lol! There are a number of things that could fall under that label! JMO!

I would think the "lack of disclosure" stems from his failure to notify the court of the error in the probation order.

I agree (see my post on this, one page back in this thread).

I would think the "lack of disclosure" stems from his failure to notify the court of the error in the probation order.

I agree (see my post on this, one page back in this thread).

Lol! Great minds think alike! Except you sound like you have an actual legally knowledgeable mind and I do not! Lol!

Chef- Seems to me your mind is tracking the legal end of thangs just fine.. :dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back