Human Remains (*cadaver) Detection (HRD) dog questions and answers **NO DISCUSSION**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like every odor we scent, we smell different when we are happy, angry, stressed, sick. Dogs can sniff out cancer before it can be detected by doctors, the list goes on and on.

As an RN for over 30 years, I have been present at many deaths in home care and I have always been astounded how the family pup would change their behavior right before their loved one was about to pass. Often times, the family dog would no longer enter the room of where their loved one was dying.

As an RN for over 30 years, I have been present at many deaths in home care and I have always been astounded how the family pup would change their behavior right before their loved one was about to pass. Often times, the family dog would no longer enter the room of where their loved one was dying.
Exactly! Thank you for coming in and posting this.

How often do HRD dogs give a false positive response?

Thanks so much for answering our questions! :blowkiss:

1) So, the dogs can only hit on a scent if the dead body was in direct contact with the surface? Unlike dogs that track scents?
2) If a body is buried underground, will the dogs still hit on the scent? How far underground?
Thanks so much for this very informative thread!

How often do HRD dogs give a false positive response?

Thanks so much for answering our questions! :blowkiss:

Depends on the dog, some have accuracy rates in the high 90's. This is part of why you bring another dog in blind.

1) So, the dogs can only hit on a scent if the dead body was in direct contact with the surface? Unlike dogs that track scents?
2) If a body is buried underground, will the dogs still hit on the scent? How far underground?
Thanks so much for this very informative thread!

HRD dogs will also hit on what is called transfer scent. Say you touch your dead grandmother and then grab your phone, they'll hit on the phone as well.

Yes, they will hit on buried, how far depends on the training. 18 inches to 3 ft. is standard, and the more training and the higher your certification rating the deeper you go. Dogs have been trained and have had great success at 15 to 20 ft.

?? What do you mean?

The hit is probable cause for a search under the circumstances; it is not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt (not at this time, with only the "hit" as evidence) that there was a death or that if there was the death was recent.

That's an older home in an older neighborhood. It is possible a former occupant died in the home (as my mother died in hers) and there are remnant traces of cadaverine, etc. from fluids leaking into the floor, subfloor, joist spaces, drywall, etc. My mother died next to her bed following a stroke and wasn't immediately discovered.

That's possibility a.

There are others: a home birth in that room, pregnancy loss, menstrual fluids, bloody show - any decaying human blood product or tissue could produce a scent resulting in a hit.

There is even the possibility of a false hit - in good or bad faith - resulting from an improperly used or improperly trained dog.

Analysis to followup and a history of events in the home is necessary to determine the source of the hit. It rules in the possibility that Lisa died there, but it does not rule out other possiblities.

THe extensive search I think was partly to determine if that hit was really related to a recent loss of life.

At the possible Susan Powell shallow grave that was empty, they had 10 cadaver dogs hit on the same spot. I gathered this would be very compelling for the jury. Is it safe to assume that more than one dog was brought to see if they all hit on this spot?

HRD dogs will also hit on what is called transfer scent. Say you touch your dead grandmother and then grab your phone, they'll hit on the phone as well.

Yes, they will hit on buried, how far depends on the training. 18 inches to 3 ft. is standard, and the more training and the higher your certification rating the deeper you go. Dogs have been trained and have had great success at 15 to 20 ft.

Could the dogs then hit on the scent on the clothes worn by whomever handled baby Lisa's body that night after she died?

The hit is probable cause for a search under the circumstances; it is not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt (not at this time, with only the "hit" as evidence) that there was a death or that if there was the death was recent.

That's an older home in an older neighborhood. It is possible a former occupant died in the home (as my mother died in hers) and there are remnant traces of cadaverine, etc. from fluids leaking into the floor, subfloor, joist spaces, drywall, etc. My mother died next to her bed following a stroke and wasn't immediately discovered.

That's possibility a.

There are others: a home birth in that room, pregnancy loss, menstrual fluids, bloody show - any decaying human blood product or tissue could produce a scent resulting in a hit.

There is even the possibility of a false hit - in good or bad faith - resulting from an improperly used or improperly trained dog.

Analysis to followup and a history of events in the home is necessary to determine the source of the hit. It rules in the possibility that Lisa died there, but it does not rule out other possiblities.

THe extensive search I think was partly to determine if that hit was really related to a recent loss of life.
copied this question over/bumping up

Depends on the dog, some have accuracy rates in the high 90's. This is part of why you bring another dog in blind.

Yet, according to the SW, they only brought in 1 dog.

Is the reason for a "no-fly zone" during a search related to the use of dogs specifically and, if so, why?

Several sources mentioned requests that no video be shot in proximity to search areas due to the techniques being used (I took that to mean it was in reference to the dogs). Is there something the dogs do that, if known, would tip off a criminal somehow (I'm not asking what that might be)?

Forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. I checked but didn't see it.

Could the dogs be picking up a scent from a long ago deceased person, such as the previous homeowner?

What do you think is the longest amount of time the scent of death can be detectable in a house? (like if someone died 10yrs ago would their scent still be on the floor?)

No, not with the training I am comfortable backing. And not with dogs that are NASAR or FEMA certified.

It's not so much that it comes out and decomposes, it's that it comes out already decomposing that makes a difference.

Sarx, were the dogs used in this search certified in the above?

Look forward to your reply to SarahW's post.

Sarx, were the dogs used in this search certified in the above?

Look forward to your reply to SarahW's post.

Sorry, I am in an area with very limited internet right now.
Yes, they have had several out there that are.

Hello you two, got a question now if I may.

A new report is discussing the use of elimination swabs for the dogs by different members of the family.

PDF at this link

http://www.kmbc.com/download/2011/1021/29552279.pdf

Can you expand on this a little bit please? Is this used for trailing/tracking dogs to eliminate persons from an area with multiple scents? Is it also used for cadaver dogs? Is it taken from a piece of clothing? The "not this person type of command?

Sorry for so many questions, really curious, didn't know swabs can be taken.

Hello you two, got a question now if I may.

A new report is discussing the use of elimination swabs for the dogs by different members of the family.

PDF at this link

http://www.kmbc.com/download/2011/1021/29552279.pdf

Can you expand on this a little bit please? Is this used for trailing/tracking dogs to eliminate persons from an area with multiple scents? Is it also used for cadaver dogs? Is it taken from a piece of clothing? The "not this person type of command?

Sorry for so many questions, really curious, didn't know swabs can be taken.
Elimination swabs are basically scent articles for those that aren't missing so that the dogs can ignore them. They can be taken from the person (using gauze), rubbed off clothing, rubbed off car seats, etc. Lots of ways to get it.
Don't apologize, that's why I am here!!
Sorry if I'm starting to make less and less sense, I am exhausted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77