Match! TX - Dallas, WhtMale UP2192, 30-50, tattoos, Feb'08 *Troy Kozkowski*

Great job, Carl! I'm confident that this UID is Troy.

(I think it was you who said in another thread that the height can be plus or minus 3 inches - so I always keep that in mind when trying to match UIDs.)

(I think it was you who said in another thread that the height can be plus or minus 3 inches - so I always keep that in mind when trying to match UIDs.)

I think the record for a match from WS height discrepancy was a full 4". that was snuf, right?

I don't think you can make a set rule based on this situation. It was an intact body, so they should have gotten the UID's height right. For skeletal remains, I would think a 3 inch margin on both sides should be sufficient.

In this case, I think someone just screwed up (either on the MP side or the UID side). You can't set a rule to use in future situations based on the possibility that someone screwed up. A screw-up can be by any amount.

But It's not unusual for a family member not to know exactly how tall the MP is. I've seen plenty of height discrepancies that I prefer not to even set a height parameter on my screen. I end up with more possibles to review, but I'm less likely to miss an obvious match like this one.

I think the record for a match from WS height discrepancy was a full 4". that was snuf, right?

With Snufamonboball's match of Robert Donlick to the NYC Ferryboat jumper, there was a 4-inch height discrepancy.

ETA: Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about. Just this morning, I saw a new MP casefile in NamUs:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12707/25

He is listed as 55-60 inches (which computes to 4'7" to 5'0"). That is clearly incorrect. In his photo he is standing in front of a guardrail, the top of which is below his waistline. They probably meant 5'5" to 6'0" (which would compute to 65-72 inches). I kicked off an e-mail to the NamUs case manager suggesting that she double-check the info.

I just got a call from Lt. Tony Cuevas to thank me for the tip. He says that right after getting my voicemail, he received a call from Steven Kurtz (to whom I sent an e-mail last night). He is forwarding the dental records to Dallas, and hopefully they should get a positive ID promptly. Troy didn't have an arrest record, so they had no fingerprints to compare.

He had put all of the info in NCIC, but did not get a hit. He said that he didn't know about NamUs, but was very complementary of how the system is put together. I suggested that if he had any other MP's, he should list them in NamUs.

He said that the decedent died of a heroin overdose. He also mentioned that Troy's mother reported him missing after he moved to Dallas from Michigan. He apparently was an intelligent responsible person before going to Dallas, but he got involved with drugs and his life spiraled out of control.

BBM. Excellent, Carl! I'm not only excited about the match (and I have no doubts this is a match), I'm really happy to hear Lt. Cuevas' complimentary words on NamUs. Fantastic that you were able to educate another LEO on the benefits of NamUs!

I'm also sorry to hear about the victims troubles with drugs.

Prayers for the family as they await identification.

:bump:

Any news on this match yet Carl? I wonder if the dentals were sent electronically, overnight or snail mail.

Any news on this match yet Carl? I wonder if the dentals were sent electronically, overnight or snail mail.

Nothing yet. But I've been watching. Both the MP and the UID cases are still active in NamUs.

Many of these offices don't have a Forensic Odontologist on their full-time staff sitting around waiting for something to do. Many FO's are full-time dentists who have to be called for forensic work in when it is needed. So I am speculating that there might be a few days of delay to set an appointment with a FO.

MP and UID links are still showing active at NamUs.

I wonder what the hold up is, it will be two weeks tomorrow.
Hoping to get some updated news on this match soon.

MP and UID links are still showing active at NamUs.

I wonder what the hold up is, it will be two weeks tomorrow.
Hoping to get some updated news on this match soon.

I'll give it another week, and call them back if I don't hear anything by then. I don't want to start badgering them too soon for fear that I might sound like the little kid in the back seat on a long road-trip whining "are we there yet?".

Great job, Carl. Just goes to prove that even with both cases in there, we can leave no stone unturned, as even obvious matches can be sitting side by side in the database unnoticed. Hopefully official word comes down soon!

:bump: Bumping to get this back to the first page. Hoping to hear some news this week as we're approaching the three week mark since this (possible) match has been submitted.

I just spoke with Lt. Tony Cuevas of the Michigan state police. He just received notification that a positive ID has been made based on dentals, and Troy's mother has been notified.

He asked me for my address and said that he is going to send a formal letter of gratitude for calling in the tip.

I also advised him that the MP and UID NamUs files are still open, and suggested that he contact NamUs to close them.

RIP Troy. Thank you for continuing all of your work on behalf of the John and Jane Does of the world, Carl.

I just spoke with Lt. Tony Cuevas of the Michigan state police. He just received notification that a positive ID has been made based on dentals, and Troy's mother has been notified.

He asked me for my address and said that he is going to send a formal letter of gratitude for calling in the tip.

I also advised him that the MP and UID NamUs files are still open, and suggested that he contact NamUs to close them.

Awesome. WTG Carl!

Well done Carl, you have done a great job for Troy and his family

Fantastic job Carl! I ditto what believe' said, thank you soo much for your countless hours on behalf of the missing and unidentified. And your teaching us so well, you're a terrific asset to those of us sleuthing the missing and uid's. :blowkiss:

Sleep peacefully, Troy. Prayers said for his mother, family, friends and all who knew and loved him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back