TX TX - Joshua Davis, 18 months, New Braunfels, 4 Feb 2011 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011...ain20118068.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Some attention given to baby Joshua; however the story is mainly about the discrepancy in coverage given to certain missing children.

The story also states that police DO NOT think the parents are involved, so hopefully people can pivot from that and focus on others who may be more pertinent to the case...

I would like to know if you have a personal connection to this case, esp. since it's the ONLY case you've posted to? Are you related to the family? A family friend?

Tom Smart and Ed Smart had very little to do with Elizabeth staying in the media.
Many people actually didn't like either one of them and used them as an excuse to think the family was involved.

Elizabeth was in the media because:

This happened to one of them. This was a good little girl... a good little LDS girl like everyone else... and that just doesn't happen.
It had been years since it had happened and it was not from their home in the middle of the night.
You had the LDS church asking for assistance, media attention, searchers, prayers etc.

If Destiny Norton had been taken from her home in the middle of the night and remained missing she would not have gotten the same attention.
Because everyone would have simply found a way to explain it away. "Drugs" or unsavory friends or something else.

With Elizabeth they TRIED to find a way to distance themselves. To blame her family and make it less likely it could happen to them.
But they couldn't. It could have just as easily have been their family and THAT is why you had 2,000 searchers and media attention.

In Elizabeth's case it was truly the religion that made the difference in her getting the media attention and searchers.
That is my opinion, having been right here and searching for Elizabeth and Destiny the whole time.

I really wish that this child recieved more attention. However, I can see why media sometimes moves on. In this case, there was absolutely no lead outside of the family. It seems most likely that something happened inside his home. There is no kidnapper on the loose. The family does not demand air time. It just happens.

We have cases like Holly Bobo where there was a LOT of media attention in the beginning. Now, the case seems to have gone cold, and there is very little attention.

I hate it when people keep comparing other cases. I see a lot of people disparage the fact that Elizabeth Smart received a lot of media attention. Her father DEMANDED media attention. That is what happens sometimes. He put himself out there. He pushed and pushed. The media attention really went down after a while when her case went cold as well. However, of course the media went wild when she was located. Who doesn't LOVE that ending? Who also doesn't LOVE how graceful she is? What about Jaycee Dugard? She also recieved a lot of media attention when found.

I never disparage other cases that acutally get media attention. I just wish there was enough time in the day to put EVERY missing person's case on the news. EVERY day, there should be a spotlight on the missing on every new station! It could be a different spotlight every day, but there should be a segment on every newstation to spotlight the missing.

This is all MHO of course! :)

I don't understand why any missing child is not top priority in the news. I think Elizabeth Smart's uncle was or is a photojournalist for the Deseret Morning News in Salt Lake City. Perhaps he had a lot to do with keeping her in the media.

Justthinkin-

Most people have a case that causes them to finally join or start posting at Websleuths.
I considered joining when several children went missing but ended up waiting until Kyron did.
HiHater joined back in June 2010 (profile) and simply didn't start posting until Joshua went missing in Feb 2011.

I believe this is simply "her" case. She shows she is from Texas and this is the case that finally caused her to stop lurking. Makes sense.
She was not defensive of the family or anything. I think she has just had her heart stolen by Baby Joshua like the rest of us. :seeya:

Just my opinion and if I am incorrect I trust HiHater will correct me.

(I have also seen posts get deleted for the very same question you asked, so that is why I'm not quoting your post.)

I would like to know if you have a personal connection to this case, esp. since it's the ONLY case you've posted to? Are you related to the family? A family friend?

I have also commented on the cases of Darlie Routier, Nidal Hassan, and Hailey Dunn.

I think there will be a blurb on ;ksat 12, they said "coming up at 10, national coverage of local missing toddler"

Just a heads up. Not sure its joshua, but I might not get back on later. :)

http://www.ksat.com/news/29566555/detail.html

"NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas -- The case of missing 11-month-old Baby Lisa Irwin has been in the national media for weeks. Irwin was last seen about a month ago and investigators are still following up on leads.
Alonzo Washington, who says he works as a voice for the parents of missing children, said Sunday that while the attention out there for Baby Lisa is good, there's one child in Texas who has been forgotten—18-month-old Baby Joshua Davis.
"I'm all for helping children of all races and colors," Washington said. "But, it seems as if there's a prototype for the ones that get national attention and none of that prototype fits African American."
Washington, an activist and artist, who has been using YouTube and his artwork to try and help get leads in these cases of missing children is also hoping to get Baby Joshua's case some national attention."............

More at the link.

http://www.ksat.com/news/29566555/detail.html

"NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas -- The case of missing 11-month-old Baby Lisa Irwin has been in the national media for weeks. Irwin was last seen about a month ago and investigators are still following up on leads.
Alonzo Washington, who says he works as a voice for the parents of missing children, said Sunday that while the attention out there for Baby Lisa is good, there's one child in Texas who has been forgotten—18-month-old Baby Joshua Davis.
"I'm all for helping children of all races and colors," Washington said. "But, it seems as if there's a prototype for the ones that get national attention and none of that prototype fits African American."
Washington, an activist and artist, who has been using YouTube and his artwork to try and help get leads in these cases of missing children is also hoping to get Baby Joshua's case some national attention."............

More at the link.

I haven't heard anything about Josua on the local news or national news. I have heard about Jahessye but not Josua. I don't understand. He could be anywhere!

I hope and pray is alive and will be found soon.

Praying for Josua.............

Sadly we do always seem to hear the most about the little white girls. I wish all missing children could get enough face time on national tv that they were all on everyone’s mind.

Thinking of little Joshua and wishing his case would get more (some, any) national attention. I wish his case would get more local attention too.

The reason why I think there is a racial bias in the media reporting of missing children is because I cannot think of one minority missing/murdered child who received a national media blitz; even if it was just for one week. I can name so many white children and women, from all socioeconomic backgrounds, whose cases were extremely hot in the media at one point. Yes, most of these cases faded from the media after a week or two, are not that well known anymore, but the fact is they were huge at one point. I can't think of one minority child who received the cable news-morning shows-nancy grace-people magazine treatment.

The reason why I think there is a racial bias in the media reporting of missing children is because I cannot think of one minority missing/murdered child who received a national media blitz; even if it was just for one week. I can name so many white children and women, from all socioeconomic backgrounds, whose cases were extremely hot in the media at one point. Yes, most of these cases faded from the media after a week or two, are not that well known anymore, but the fact is they were huge at one point. I can't think of one minority child who received the cable news-morning shows-nancy grace-people magazine treatment.

I think Phylicia Barnes got a huge amount of press. I didn't follow that case very closely towards the end though.

I think Phylicia Barnes got a huge amount of press. I didn't follow that case very closely towards the end though.

Phylicia did and her mother worked tirelessly to make sure it did. Sadly, no one has been arrested. Still praying for justice.

Praying for Joshua. Please, please let them find him today.

Hassani Campbell, Jada Justice, Shaniya Davis, and Mitrice Richardson are a few examples of those whose cases received a great amount of attention; but I agree, there is still a long way to go as far as getting missing black/minority children the attention they deserve.

How many cases with media attention can you name where the child was found alive or even found? I'm not sure it helps anyone but us.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm just so tired of people doing things to children. I just want to grab these people and beat them!

Praying for precious Joshua!

Ya know, I just read an in-depth story about Carlina White, who was kidnapped from a hospital as an infant and raised as the daughter of her kidnapper. She was 23 by the time she figured it all out.

It's not common, but it's possible. I will never give up hope on sweet baby Joshua until I have to.

ETA - I do believe national coverage would be helpful in Joshua's case.

Hassani Campbell, Jada Justice, Shaniya Davis, and Mitrice Richardson are a few examples of those whose cases received a great amount of attention; but I agree, there is still a long way to go as far as getting missing black/minority children the attention they deserve.

Perhaps, but not the on-going national media cases like Baby Lisa is getting. (I don't really count HLN as MSM, peronally, as I think they just latch onto any cases that seem sensational and drop it, unless new sensational details emerge.) Those children you mention are household names to us here at WS, but not across the country. Most people I know, who never follow crime cases, are aware of Kyron, and certainly of Lisa Irwin, for example, but even my sisters in TX have never heard of Joshua. :(

How many cases with media attention can you name where the child was found alive or even found? I'm not sure it helps anyone but us.

The only one i can think of is Keinan up in Canada, his abductor dropped him back off in his home

There are so many children (and adults) that are missing out there.

I wish that there would be more cases that would end up like the Jaycee Dugard - Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby ones. How many children were taken and have now gone out on their own never knowing their real past?

Sometimes I think there must be bones everywhere due to the amount of missing cases we have on the books.

Praying for Joshua and Adji.

There are so many children (and adults) that are missing out there.

I wish that there would be more cases that would end up like the Jaycee Dugard - Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby ones. How many children were taken and have now gone out on their own never knowing their real past?

Sometimes I think there must be bones everywhere due to the amount of missing cases we have on the books.

Praying for Joshua and Adji.

There are too many missing children that we never hear about. Just check each state's missing children site and see how many you never heard of. It will make you cry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288