Interview with the two boys has been cancelled

It is complicated and multifaceted. We can start with the fact that JT is an attorney. His role is to be an attorney and to provide legal advise to the best of his knowledge, for the best interest of the family. Right now there are no charges against them, so there is no defense. They need representation as any missing child case is a legal matter, therefore requiring legal representation. It is a matter of the times we live in.
But there is a defense. JT is no idiot and I fancy myself that I'm not either, it's clear to me he's keeping anyone from saying anything that might make defending at trial more difficult, even keeping the boys from being swabbed (for now) and that's what he's good at. Fine.

What about Lisa though?

And DB and JI do not need a lawyer in order to exercise their right to keep silent wrt LE.

My God, the last thing I'd give a damn about is my rights anyway. But then again I only have one child and no others to think about, so I can say, well, of course they need a lawyer: but do they need one who is so blatantly defense strategy focused?

IDK, but I think they'd be smarter to thank JT but send him on his way. Talk about tainting a jury pool against someone...JT's name is still followed by a blurb about Joran Van Der Sloot.

He's just not a good fit for grieving parents of an abducted baby.

IMO

I agree with you about the tour, but the presser would have been a good time to encourage people to keep looking for a live Lisa.

I think JT was smart to put a stop to it (it's my opinion he did) but then again, that's what he's excellent at - defense strategy. The focus should be on finding Lisa though and working to that end, negotiating with LE for another sit down. DB and JI have every right to protect themselves, absolutely, but the focus should be on LISA. At present, it is not, it's on defense strategy.

It seems to me the focus is entirely wrong-headed, and obviously Short and JT aren't on the same page.

Perhaps I'm just dumb as a post, but I'd tell both lawyers to F off and focus on finding Lisa via missing children foundations, which are a great resource. They can still not grant LE more interviews if they feel railroaded, but I'd just feel at this point the lawyers were no help to me in finding my baby, because that's not where their focus is, so there would be a conflict of interest.

IMO

Lawyers are not responsible for searching for a missing child. That's LE's role.

As for the parents, what would change people's minds about them? They'll go on camera, beg for their child and people will still criticize them. Some have already convicted them of a crime even though they are not suspects in the case yet.

Would the parents going on television help or harm the case? I don't have the answer to that. Lisa is missing. All national news media have carried the story and continue to do so. She's out there. It's time to find her and get the focus off the parents and the children.

You wouldn't allow a swab either? LE needs to identify all DNA found. Why wouldn't you want that?

If I was in their shoes, I would not trust them. Not if what they said about the interrogation is true. No way.

I agree with you about the tour, but the presser would have been a good time to encourage people to keep looking for a live Lisa.

I think JT was smart to put a stop to it (it's my opinion he did) but then again, that's what he's excellent at - defense strategy. The focus should be on finding Lisa though and working to that end, negotiating with LE for another sit down. DB and JI have every right to protect themselves, absolutely, but the focus should be on LISA. At present, it is not, it's on defense strategy.

It seems to me the focus is entirely wrong-headed, and obviously Short and JT aren't on the same page.

Perhaps I'm just dumb as a post, but I'd tell both lawyers to F off and focus on finding Lisa via missing children foundations, which are a great resource. They can still not grant LE more interviews if they feel railroaded, but I'd just feel at this point the lawyers were no help to me in finding my baby, because that's not where their focus is, so there would be a conflict of interest.

IMO

All very true. Unless. Unless the parents or one of the parents have something to hide. Then this all makes perfect sense. Esp. if what they are hiding is criminal.

If I was in their shoes, I would not trust them. Not if what they said about the interrogation is true. No way.

IF they are innocent and they were treated badly, I can understand not trusting them. But simply giving DNA samples? Are you suggesting LE would falsify results to somehow railroad them?

Lawyers are not responsible for searching for a missing child.That's LE's role.

As for the parents, what would change people's minds about them? They'll go on camera, beg for their child and people will still criticize them. Some have already convicted them of a crime even though they are not suspects in the case yet.

Would the parents going on television help or harm the case? I don't have the answer to that. Lisa is missing. All national news media have carried the story and continue to do so. She's out there. It's time to find her and get the focus off the parents and the children.
Nothing. But who gives a damn about that when their baby is missing? They have other kids to think about, so have a lawyer by all means. But don't close your doors to avenues like missing kids foundations and pounding the streets with flyers, as much as possible. LE can't stop them from doing that, and going on local TV and trying to guilt someone into coming forward. Put a human face to their grief, get the public's sympathy. Make it clear they want to sit with LE again, but they feel railroaded and want a lawyer present, etc, but want LE to meet them half-way, so they can find LISA.

The public are sharks and will toss out their opinions, like me, for example. I'm on the fence, but I can't excuse DB and JI sitting on their asses while their helpless infant is out there and needs them.

Lawyers are doing what needs to be done defending the Irwin camp. Excellent.

What are DB and JI doing for Lisa?

Nothing.

It's not just LE's role to search for Lisa though. It's her parent's roles as well, to search for their baby within the bounds allowed to them. They aren't.

IMO

Lawyers are not responsible for searching for a missing child. That's LE's role.

Not going on camera? That gives the impression that they have something to hide. But actually I could be perfectly happy with that. If they still had someone out there begging for the child's life. What I have trouble with is two parents who refuse to cooperate with LE by sitting in interviews with them. Two parents who refuse to allow their children to be interviewed. When that happens, I just have to ask why. These parents have a child allegedly missing. Do the parents really believe the child is alive out there somewhere, needing rescue? Then why are they refusing to take any action to allow LE to know what happened in their home? If they had nothing to hide, they would submit to interviews or whatever LE needs and allow LE to clear them so that they could move on.

Even parents of other missing children have spoken in the media, practically begging these parents to cooperate with LE. People who went through this before them. People who have experience with what the family is feeling and doing. And still the parents refuse.

IMO, this has to be a stall / defense with thoughts of a trial defense in mind, as it simply makes them look more guilty in the public's eyes right now. Personally, it makes me sick.

In the link below, last video, at about 58 seconds, Megyn K has asked why they won't let LE re-interview the kids. DB says "My kids would know nothing."

Yeah, right, then what are you so afraid of? As we know, Elizabeth Smart's sister remembered something months later that led to the arrest of ES's kidnapper. Time to give your poor, innocent daughter that chance.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2011/10/17...er/#more-77721

IF they are innocent and they were treated badly, I can understand not trusting them. But simply giving DNA samples? Are you suggesting LE would falsify results to somehow railroad them?

Like I said earlier, if what the parents said is true and LE was throwing accusations, no I would not give my DNA unless they had a court order.

IMO, this has to be a stall / defense with thoughts of a trial defense in mind, as it simply makes them look more guilty in the public's eyes right now. Personally, it makes me sick.

In the link below, last video, at about 58 seconds, Megyn K has asked why they won't let LE re-interview the kids. DB says "My kids would know nothing."

Yeah, right, then what are you so afraid of? As we know, Elizabeth Smart's sister remembered something months later that led to the arrest of ES's kidnapper. Time to give your poor, innocent daughter that chance.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2011/10/17...er/#more-77721

BBM

How would she know that her kids know nothing? I thought she was asleep, so how would she know if they woke up? And per her words, they haven't talked to the boys about if they heard or knew of anything. That is pretty odd wording, not 'my kids don't know anything', but "my kids would know nothing."

Like I said earlier, if what the parents said is true and LE was throwing accusations, no I would not give my DNA unless they had a court order.
Now see, I agree with this. DB and JI have to protect their rights for the sake of the other children at the very least, and especially protecting the kid's rights. I get it.

But why do nothing at all, like not even hit the streets with flyers and utilize free services that can help spread the word about a live Lisa and ask parents of other missing children to help, etc. There have been offers.

I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something vital, but I can't fathom their inaction at all. IIRC, they spent a day putting up flyers. That's it.

Frankly, I'm stunned they aren't doing more to help Lisa.

Again, I may be missing something. I sure would like someone to tell me what it is.

IMO

BBM
That is very true. Lawyers aren't responsibile for searching for missing kids. But their role is not to protect the family. Their role is to protect their clients. Anyone who may feel that LE may have evidence that could result in ciminal prosecution.

And LE is not the only ones with a role in the search. The parents also have a primary role in that search too. And that seems to be where these parents are falling down on the job.

The DNA samples, really should have been taken the day Lisa was reported missing or the day after. The samples will be given, it does not matter if today or in a couple of days. I think there is plenty of testing going on that the lab will not get to it any sooner, no matter when they are given since they were not taken immediately. The children need legal representation present for many reasons, including what is known as "leading questions." (Only one of many reasons, others we cannot discuss.) I've heard too many tapes with them on them, so I would never let the children go for further questioning without representation.

The parents are not allowed to search, it is not the attorney's job to search. That is for LE.

Also saw Clint Van Zandt on the Today Show (iirc) may have been some other "expert" or morning show, a few weeks ago, stating that it is no longer considered best to have the parents begging for the children back or divulging too much personal info on tv from the start as it can make it worse for the kidnapped child from the kidnapper. Not phrased exactly, just trying to remember how it was phrased. This is why you do not see daily begging from parents on GMA, Today, etc... and why little details are not disclosed about the child right away.

BBM
That is very true. Lawyers aren't responsibile for searching for missing kids. But their role is not to protect the family. Their role is to protect their clients. Anyone who may feel that LE may have evidence that could result in ciminal prosecution.

And LE is not the only ones with a role in the search. The parents also have a primary role in that search too. And that seems to be where these parents are falling down on the job.
Yes. Exactly.

I keep hearing we should all focus on finding a live Lisa, but why should anyone have confidence that Lisa is alive out there some where when the parents don't seem to even believe she is? Their lack of urgency doesn't instil faith in others that Lisa is alive.

Now see, I agree with this. DB and JI have to protect their rights for the sake of the other children at the very least, and especially protecting the kid's rights. I get it.

But why do nothing at all, like not even hit the streets with flyers and utilize free services that can help spread the word about a live Lisa and ask parents of other missing children to help, etc. There have been offers.

I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm missing something vital, but I can't fathom their inaction at all. IIRC, they spent a day putting up flyers. That's it.

Frankly, I'm stunned they aren't doing more to help Lisa.

Again, I may be missing something. I sure would like someone to tell me what it is.

IMO

I can understand refusing to be interviewed without an attorney present. Why would you refuse DNA samples without a court order if it would possibly help advance the investigation? Just trying to understand. :seeya:

I think the kids are key to this investigation and can blow it open. DB has skirted around this topic since Lisa disappeared. They must know something and Joe Tacopina is protecting his clients until he can spin this some more. I am not surprised but I am outraged about this. Lisa is gone. She is gone and I can't believe that the parents think Lisa is alive. They must think she is dead.

When anything happens at home or at school with my 4 year old, I ask her questions. She may be able to tell me something meaningful. These kids are older. They can communicate better than my kid can. This investigation could have gone forward and it didn't. There was a day off school today for those boys and all the support systems for children and parents were likely set up for them to help with the hard questions and grief.

Joe will spin this into something else, a new "witness"? Any wagers out there?

BBM
The DNA samples, really should have been taken the day Lisa was reported missing or the day after. The samples will be given, it does not matter if today or in a couple of days. I think there is plenty of testing going on that the lab will not get to it any sooner, no matter when they are given since they were not taken immediately. The children need legal representation present for many reasons, including what is known as "leading questions." (Only one of many reasons.) I've heard too many tapes with them on them, so I would never let the children go for further questioning without representation.

The parents are not allowed to search, it is not the attorney's job to search. That is for LE.

Also saw Clint Van Zandt on the Today Show (iirc) may have been some other "expert" or morning show, a few weeks ago, stating that it is no longer considered best to have the parents begging for the children back or divulging too much personal info on tv from the start as it can make it worse for the kidnapped child from the kidnapper. Not phrased exactly, just trying to remember how it was phrased. This is why you do not see daily begging from parents on GMA, Today, etc... and why little details are not disclosed about the child right away.
They're allowed to pass out flyers and encourage the public to look for a live Lisa.

Let me ask you this: if LE told you to sit tight and do nothing but wait; would you?

What if you believed LE was only focusing on your child being dead. Would you still do nothing but wait?

Would it matter to you then that 'It's LE's job" to find your baby?

Not to me.

IMO

ETA: I'm not calling you out, the questions are rhetorical musings.

I just can't fathom caring that it's "LE's role" if I believed they thought I killed my baby and was looking for her dead body.

I'd get some help from people who are experienced in looking for missing children, like a foundation. I would not just wait it out if I couldn't trust LE.

My guess is that they don't want the children re-interviewed because whatever the children said in the first interview is what lead LE directly to accusing the parents in the first place.

We don't know what they are or are not doing. We are not in Kansas City. We only know what media wants to tell us or spin to us.

I understand the delicate balance of what is happening. I doubt I could be logical if I were in that position, and really have no idea what I would do. If I had any idea where my baby was, I would "probably" go to jail for going there and harming whomever I thought it was, but I really don't know, I am not in that position. If I had no idea where my baby was, I do not know what I would do. If I would follow LE's instructions and counsel's or not, I cannot answer as I am not in that position. I haven't walked a mile in those shoes and hope never to have to.

So Cindy Short is no longer on legal team? per good morning america?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lola21
Back