Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lengthy appraisal from the Chicago Tribune's David Haugh:
---
Truth is, the board could have appointed anybody to coach Penn State the rest of the season as long as it wasn't Paterno or Mike McQueary, the assistant who witnessed Sandusky allegedly sexually assault a 10-year-old boy in the shower in 2002. By the way, how does McQueary still have a job?

He won't for long. In all likelihood neither will any of Paterno's other assistants as soon as the 2011 season ends. But the board's goal Thursday was to find somebody to coach the Nittany Lions now, not later. Sure, Penn State could have fired everybody and suspended the football season to begin the healing. But somehow that seems unfair to players who had nothing to do with Sandusky's alleged sick behavior or the way Paterno and Penn State ignored it. Their experiences still matter.
---
The list of victims and innocent people affected negatively by this tragedy for reasons out of their control already is long enough.

You won't find Paterno's name on it.

more here: Penn State's Paterno deserves no pity

Another interesting point that is made in that interview is the situation around Sandusky retiring. They mention that he was told he had to retire in 99 in exchange for a coverup of his activities.

Also they bring up the point that others in college football knew what he was up to. After all you have this guy who was arguably the best defensive coach at the time retire at a young age for a coach, and not get a single offer from any school to be their head coach.

Thank you. I've felt this was one of the key points being 'overlooked' by those who wish to start Paterno's timeline of knowledge at 2002. That the campus police, the DA, etc. were irrefutably made aware of this in 1998, then Sandusky unexpectedly and abruptly retires from coaching the next year, yet somehow we are supposed to accept that the most powerful man in the county (and Sandusky's friend/boss) knew nothing about the investigation or the reasons for his top assistant/pal's coaching career coming to a sudden end. To believe that I think one would have to be pretty gullible.

Another interesting point that is made in that interview is the situation around Sandusky retiring. They mention that he was told he had to retire in 99 in exchange for a coverup of his activities.

Also they bring up the point that others in college football knew what he was up to. After all you have this guy who was arguably the best defensive coach at the time retire at a young age for a coach, and not get a single offer from any school to be their head coach.

Somewhat O/T..My husband was born in Philadelphia and was a fan of Penn State and Paterno.. My husband died in 2001 but I remember him telling me something was definitely amiss with Sandusky retiring at such a young age and not being offered another job somewhere as head coach.. I remember my husband thinking he must have some kind of severe illness..
Guess he was right, he just didn't know how sick in the head this Sandusky really was/is...JMHO

This gets worse and worse. This is could be the worst scandal in college sports period. I notice major scandals tend to emerge in November.

Penn State's Board of Trustees have asked the university's head football coach to keep Mike McQueary, the assistant coach at the center of a child sex scandal, off the field during Saturday's nationally-televised game against Nebraska, according to one of the trustees.

The trustee told The Morning Call in an exclusive interview that the board made the request out of concern for McQueary's safety.

The board does not plan to fire McQueary or ask him to step down, according to the trustee, who asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitive nature of the matter.
---
more here: Chicago Tribune

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
After Sandusky atrocities, Penn State endorsing McQueary's employ is low moment of entire episode. How can this happen? What's wrong w/ us?
7 minutes ago

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
PENN STATE ITSELF now culpable b/c standing behind McQueary may well prevent victims from coming forward - and justice being served.
11 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOKS

Lengthy appraisal from the Chicago Tribune's David Haugh:

From the quoted article:
The list of victims and innocent people affected negatively by this tragedy for reasons out of their control already is long enough.

BBM
I wish everyone would stop calling this a tragedy. It is a series of crimes committed and covered up (more crimes) by people in power.
JMO

Penn State admin has 2 options.....they can take the high road and clean house and help the victims or they can only do what they have to do and try to limp along thinking they can someday reclaim their former glory. Unfortunately I feel like they plan to take the low road and will only do what they are forced to do by public outrage.

It sickens and saddens me that a "man" can do this to an innocent child. I really, truly believe anyone who rapes a child deserves life in prison or more. And that's my opinion. And he was in a position of trust and held in high regard to these already vulnerable kids? Pathetic. You just never know with people and it's terrifying as the mother of a little boy. Sexual abuse among boys is just as common as abuse among girls, it seems that many boys are abused and don't even come forward because of shame. The whole thing makes me sick and reminds me how screwed up parts of humanity really is. I pray for his victims and pray that justice is served and other sick freaks are caught and put in jail for a long time. Unfortunately, there will always be sickos out there just like this guy.

And Penn States, who cares who the hell you are. It doesn't mean anything compared to innocent children being abused, it means nothing whether or not your football team wins if someone saw a little child get raped and didn't tell police to protect other children!

McQueary intrigues me. I wonder if he ever pondered in his mind what he would say to Victim 2 if they ever crossed paths again. What if they are face to face with one another waiting to testify at Sandusky's trial?

I think McQueary has to make this right some how. I know he cannot change history-but he has to decide what kind of man he is now and what he can do to try and do something about the choice he made. He just has to. JMVHO.

I think it is fair to fear for his safety, fwiw.

For the victims of child abuse and these victims the area will wear BLUE on Saturday!

It seems, according to this former Penn St player, that it's not so bad to turn your back and let some children be abused, if it appears you might be helping others.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hard-hits/post/joe-paterno-fired-this-is-not-how-it-should-have-ended/2011/11/10/gIQAx6cv8M_blog.html

" I am aware that innocent children suffered and that Paterno should’ve done more to fulfill his moral duties. But if people could see the deeds and the heart of Joe, they would see a man truly dedicated to helping others: men, women and children. I believe that."

I'm beginning to understand why there's such a huge problem with child abuse and that, in and of itself, makes me sick.

I believe they all should be prosecuted - up and down the line. It is a violation of law to let child abuse - even suspicion of child abuse - go unreported. Not reported to your boss or co-worker, but reported to LE. Those who failed to report are all criminals.

I don't care if he helped millions of people - he is evil for letting one child be abused.

McQueary intrigues me. I wonder if he ever pondered in his mind what he would say to Victim 2 if they ever crossed paths again. What if they are face to face with one another waiting to testify at Sandusky's trial?

I think McQueary has to make this right some how. I know he cannot change history-but he has to decide what kind of man he is now and what he can do to try and do something about the choice he made. He just has to. JMVHO.

I think it is fair to fear for his safety, fwiw.

I agree. I also started wondering about his dad. I mean, if one of my kids came home and told me they had witnessed something so horrible...how would I live with myself if I didn't immediately pick up the phone and call the police?

Who else did McQueary tell that couldn't be bothered to make a phone call?

There is plenty of shame and blame to go around!

I don't know but what McQueary's conduct was more egregious than Paterno's. He SAW it and did nothing.

McQueary to coach Saturday? Reasoning difficult to comprehend

This is the same Mike McQueary who claimed to have seen a young boy being sexually assaulted by former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in a football shower in 2002, and who reacted by running away. From what we know, the attack by Jerry Sandusky -- an attack McQueary has testified to seeing -- continued in that shower.

Mike McQueary ran away.

Didn't stop it.

Mike McQueary ran to his telephone, but his first call wasn't to the police. His second call wasn't to the police, either. I could go on and on, but let's just say this: McQueary never called the police. What he did was, he called his daddy.

Presumably, Sandusky was still in the shower. And Sandusky wasn't alone.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ch-saturday-reasoning-difficult-to-comprehend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288