tifflee

Reaction score
The Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/154umaz.html
Case File 154UMAZ
154UMAZ.jpg

Sketch of Victim
Unidentified White Male

• Located on June 22, 1993 in Sedona, Coconino County, Arizona
  • Cause of death was multiple traumatic injuries due to a fall.
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 22 - 28 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'1"-6'4"; 180 - 200 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: His color of hair is not positively determined but may have been blond. He may have been right handed.
  • Clothing: He was wearing a bright violet long-sleeved pullover shirt with a horizontal gray or blue stripe, faded gray or Blue Levi pants, size 34- 34" and Nike shoes, size 13.
  • Dentals: Available
Case History
The skeletonized remains of this victim were found on a steep rocky slope near New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, AZ.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sedona Police Department
Lucas Wilcoxson
928-282-3100

Agency Case Number: 930004383
NCIC Number:
U-655255269
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

====================

I could not find this UID on NamUs and there are few search results for this date and location.

My question on this sketch is whether the sharp angles of the UID's face represent sharp cheekbones, angular jaw, or if the head was pentagonal in shape.

In any case, the out-of-the-ordinary details of Greg Tilley's disappearance make me wonder if he is a possibility for this UID, but the facial shape of the sketch is throwing me off on whether he is even a possibility.

Greg Tilley on...

Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/288dmmo.html
NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2294/26/
Family search page: http://helpfindgregtilley.com/

Greg started out from Kirkwood, MO and was traveling west. He was last seen September 18, 1992. In July 1993, his car was found abandoned in the desert of Eureka, NV. According to his family's website, a car was reported abandoned in that area in late September 1992. The officer who responded was not able to locate a car at that time.

What struck me is that this UID was found in Sedona, AZ on June 22, 1993, right before his abandoned car was found in July 1993. The remains were skeletonized.

The UID is estimated to be 22-28 years old. Greg Tilley was 22.

The UID is estimated to be 6'1" to 6'4". Greg was reported to be 6'4".

The UID is estimated to be 180 to 200 lbs. Greg was reported to be 160 to 185 lbs.

The UID may have been blonde. Greg had light brown hair.

The UID has a very angular reconstruction sketch. Greg had strong, high cheekbones and an angular jaw.

Here is a map of Kirkwood, MO to Sedona, AZ to Eureka, NV.

The Doe Network:
Case File 288DMMO

Greg Stephan Tilley
Missing since September 18, 1992 from St. Louis, Missouri
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: February 2, 1970
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'4"; 160-185 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes. Fair complexion. Wore glasses and or contacts.
  • DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Greg Tilley was last seen on September 18, 1992. He may have been en route to the West coast.
Greg's 1986, 4 door Chevy Nova was found abandoned in the desert in Eureka County, Nevada in July 1993.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Kirkwood Police Department
314-822-5858

NCIC Number: M-127341619
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CUE Center For Missing Persons
Missouri Highway Patrol
Help Find Greg Tilley

====================

Photographs from his family's website: http://helpfindgregtilley.com/.

greg-tilley_11.jpg

greg.jpg

greg-tilley-3.jpg

Tilley clearly fits the description, and the circumstances are consistent as well.

I'm with you on the jawline though. The UID is depicted with a broad, angular jawline. The breadth of the jawline exceeds the breadth of his cheekbones. Greg's jawline is angular, but very narrow. I wouldn't exclude on that though. This appears the same artist who did the recon for the UID later identified as Pete Anthony Rose, (who also had a very angular jawline, but not quite as angular as depicted by the artist).

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=17666

The styling looks a little different, but probably because it was drawn with different pencil types.

I think he's definitely close enough to check out.

Thanks for the encouragement, Carl! I emailed the NamUs Case Manager for Greg's case and the Doe Network contact at the Sedona Police Department for the UID.

satemplet: What a tragedy for that family to have two sons go missing! I'm not quite seeing as much angularity in James' facial shape (but again, artist's interpretation), but it looks like he has a dented chin. I wonder if chin indentations typically show up on skulls or no?

All right, back from Googling all sorts of terms from "chin dent skull" to "chin dimples skull." :waitasec: I think that based on what I am reading, cleft chins are caused by incomplete fissures of the jaw bone so people with cleft chins do show something in their skull bone.

Wikipedia wasn't too convincing on the "underlying bony peculiarity" mention: Cleft chin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Other sources (take with a grain of salt):
http://www.thebrightesthub.com/what-causes-cleft-chin/
http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_1203834a-1e7a-5af4-ad2a-37cfb81bff5d.html

That said, I found at least one plastic surgeon touting his "chin replacement" services who claims that some cleft chins are tissue-deep only.

In any case, if cleft chins show up in the jaw bone, I would hope the artist reflected that in the reconstruction which would build a stronger case for James.

Seems pretty consistent to me, I would definitely submit!

If this is Greg Tilly, it raises an question; how did his car get to Nevada"?
Assuming that Sedona John Doe slipped and fell while exploring the area, one would expect him to have had his car keys in his possecion (and a car parked near by). The only reasonable explaination for his car being in Nevada is that it was stolen. Either it was "hot wired" which would be obvious when it was found, OR the keys were taken from the victim. I can't see someone seeing someone else fall down a cliff and then go and take his keys to steal his car. The keys must have been taken before he fell. This would probably mean the victim was murdered.

If this isn't Greg, there was, in all likelyhood, a vehicle parked in a near by parking area that the Forest Service had towed soon after the death. Are there any records of "abandoned" vehicles removed?

^ Per the family's website and Charley Project (http://charleyproject.org/cases/t/tilley_greg.html), his car was found abandoned with a hole in the windshield - Charley Project describes it as a large hole and the family's site describes it as smashed in. In addition, the family's website says:

Late September of 1992-It was reported that the vehicle had been observed on Tonkin Springs Road ( Eureka ,Nevada) at which time a deputy was dispatched to the scene, but the officer did not locate the same.

In the spring of 1993, it was determined that the abandoned vehicle in question was northwest of Tonkin Springs Road on a unnamed two-lane access road.

The vehicle was discovered within ten days of Mr Tilley’s reported disappearance.

Greg’s vehicle was found by cowboys, abandoned with a hole in the windshield in the desert Eureka County,Nevada. The windshield had been smashed in an the Vehicle Identification Number Plate removed from the dash. They were able to determine that the vehicle belonged to Greg through the Vehicle Identification Number that was still in tack on the drivers side door.
There are larger photographs of the car on this page: http://helpfindgregtilley.com/additional-case-info/.

The location of the smash seems odd to me for hotwiring a car, but then again, no personal experience! Seems like the movies and television shows always show folks smashing the driver's side window. Here is a large photo of the windshield: http://helpfindgregtilley.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/missing-greg-tilleys-car_2.jpg.

I think the VIN removal shows Greg most likely was not in control of the car when it reached Eureka, NV. If he is the UID, maybe Greg was robbed and pushed down the steep slope during his journey West and the murderer(s) took the car as far as they could get it to go to Eureka, then hitched a ride out? Maybe he left the keys in the car to go exploring, fell down the slope, and an opportunistic culprit saw a car ripe to steal, then tried to cover up their tracks?

Not sure on nearby abandoned cars, but I did look up "New Chapel of the Holy Cross" in Sedona where the UID was found. I couldn't find many mentions of a "New Chapel of the Holy Cross," so it is likely the reference should be to the "Chapel of the Holy Cross" which is a Roman Catholic chapel built into the mesas of Sedona. It is really unique and a main tourist attraction in Sedona: Chapel of the Holy Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I searched all over for any mentions of the victim being found in June 1993, but cannot seem to find news articles. It seems unlikely that a body being found near a tourist hot spot goes unreported by the media, but perhaps Sedona's local media outlets do not archive their news online?

Sergeant Wilcoxson was kind enough to reply yesterday:

Thank you for this lead but I am sorry Mr. Tilley is not our person. I compared their dental records and they were not a match.

Again thank you for this lead
I appreciate how nice he is about it all! One more UID/missing person combination ruled out.

Looking at a topographic map in google earth, if he fell from any height at all, he would have had to go to the effort to climb up first. There are several hiking trails in the area, so he could have easily walked from the Chapel or from a more populated area to the steeper slopes. I think the Little Horse Trail and Chapel trail are not too steep, so maybe he was walking on one of those trails and then went off-trail to hike up for a better view or whatever reason. That kind of accident happens all the time. If that is what happened he would be closer the profile of a casual hiker than a victim of four play.

It does not explain why identification/wallet is missing though.

The combination of his clothing (name brand Levis and Nikes), the location, and the fact that he did not have other items around him makes him not sound like a transient to me.

So my guess is casual hiker who had an accident or, less likely, a suicide who wanted to be anonymous.

It does not explain why identification/wallet is missing though.

The combination of his clothing (name brand Levis and Nikes), the location, and the fact that he did not have other items around him makes him not sound like a transient to me.

So my guess is casual hiker who had an accident or, less likely, a suicide who wanted to be anonymous.

I may be way off on this one but thought I have nothing to lose by posting this.

The UID discussed here is reported to have been located on June 22, 1993. Could 1993 be a typo and could it have been 1999 ? I can’t find anything to confirm the actual year the unidentified man was found.

I was searching for a match for this unidentified person and came across Dan Chervenka from Phoenix. I am aware that Dan was last seen in May of 1999 while the unidentified was reportedly found in 1993.

If 1993 is incorrect (or a typo) and should be 1999, then perhaps Dan could be considered due to the close timeframe of when Dan went missing (late May) and when the unidentified was found (June).

Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3793dmaz.html
Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/chervenka_daniel.html
NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/467/0/ (No rule outs listed)
NAMP: http://www.nampn.org/cases/chervenka_daniel.html

Several things caught my attention when reading about Dan. Dan is bipolar and was not taking his medication and was manic when last seen on May 28, 1999. He was also reported to be a daytime “hiker“. His vehicle/wallet were found the next day, May 29, 1999, one hour away at Four Peaks Mountain. The unidentified was found in Sedona which appears to be “on the way back to Phoenix” from where the car/wallet were found. This could explain why the unidentified was not carrying a wallet and I am not aware that any vehicle was linked to him which could make Dan a potential match, IF the year missing/found matched.

Similarities:
Age: The UID is estimated to be 22-28 years old. Dan was 28.

Height: The UID is estimated to be 6'1" to 6'4". Greg was reported to be 6'1".

Weight: The UID is estimated to be 180 to 200 lbs. Dan was reported to be 170 lbs.

Hair: The UID may have been blonde. Dan had brown hair.

Clothing: The UID was wearing a bright violet long-sleeved pullover shirt with a horizontal gray or blue stripe, faded gray or Blue Levi pants, size 34- 34" and Nike shoes, size 13.

Per Charley Project: Dan was wearing a horizontally striped navy blue and medium-gray shirt, light blue denim shorts, and Nike sneakers.
Per Doe Network: Dan was wearing a medium gray T-shirt with horizontal navy blue stripes, light blue denim shorts, "Nike" athletic shoes.

Below is a link to a map. (A) = Phoenix where Dan lives. (B) = Cline Trailhead in Four Peaks Mountains where his vehicle and wallet were found the next day about an hour away from Phoenix, and (C) = where the unidentified was found on a steep, rocky slope near New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona.

After Dan made it to Four Peaks Mountain where his car/wallet were found/abandoned, perhaps he had a medical issue and made his way or hitchhiked back towards Phoenix and ended up stopping at (C) – New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona where he met his demise.

NOTE: When authorities searched Dan’s house, they found an open notebook on the table along with a glass of soda and a “BIBLE”. Since the unidentified was found near the New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, perhaps this could be Dan who went hiking first and then ended up at a more "spiritual" place on his way home. He was also noted to be a talented "artist" and very intellectual (astrophysics).

I apologize but I am unable to figure out how to do a side by size of the unidentified and Dan. :(

The Doe Network:
Case File 3793DMAZ

Daniel G. Chervenka, Jr.

Missing since May 29, 1999 from Phoenix, AZ
Vital Statistics
• Date Of Birth: July 13, 1970
• Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
• Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1"; 70 lbs.
• Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
• Clothing: Medium gray t-shirt with horizontal navy blue stripes
• Medical: He is bipolar and may be in need of his medication
• DNA: Available in CODIS

I’m just throwing this out there as food for thought…

Please feel free to delete/move as appropriate. I am unsure if I should have posted this question/possible somewhere else. Thank you

I can't seem to find this UID in NamUs. There are many UID in this state. But I think he should be entered because there could be a computer assisted match waiting to happen.

I may be way off on this one but thought I have nothing to lose by posting this.

The UID discussed here is reported to have been located on June 22, 1993. Could 1993 be a typo and could it have been 1999 ? I can’t find anything to confirm the actual year the unidentified man was found.

I was searching for a match for this unidentified person and came across Dan Chervenka from Phoenix. I am aware that Dan was last seen in May of 1999 while the unidentified was reportedly found in 1993.

If 1993 is incorrect (or a typo) and should be 1999, then perhaps Dan could be considered due to the close timeframe of when Dan went missing (late May) and when the unidentified was found (June).

Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3793dmaz.html
Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/chervenka_daniel.html
NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/467/0/ (No rule outs listed)
NAMP: http://www.nampn.org/cases/chervenka_daniel.html

Several things caught my attention when reading about Dan. Dan is bipolar and was not taking his medication and was manic when last seen on May 28, 1999. He was also reported to be a daytime “hiker“. His vehicle/wallet were found the next day, May 29, 1999, one hour away at Four Peaks Mountain. The unidentified was found in Sedona which appears to be “on the way back to Phoenix” from where the car/wallet were found. This could explain why the unidentified was not carrying a wallet and I am not aware that any vehicle was linked to him which could make Dan a potential match, IF the year missing/found matched.

Similarities:
Age: The UID is estimated to be 22-28 years old. Dan was 28.

Height: The UID is estimated to be 6'1" to 6'4". Greg was reported to be 6'1".

Weight: The UID is estimated to be 180 to 200 lbs. Dan was reported to be 170 lbs.

Hair: The UID may have been blonde. Dan had brown hair.

Clothing: The UID was wearing a bright violet long-sleeved pullover shirt with a horizontal gray or blue stripe, faded gray or Blue Levi pants, size 34- 34" and Nike shoes, size 13.

Per Charley Project: Dan was wearing a horizontally striped navy blue and medium-gray shirt, light blue denim shorts, and Nike sneakers.
Per Doe Network: Dan was wearing a medium gray T-shirt with horizontal navy blue stripes, light blue denim shorts, "Nike" athletic shoes.

Below is a link to a map. (A) = Phoenix where Dan lives. (B) = Cline Trailhead in Four Peaks Mountains where his vehicle and wallet were found the next day about an hour away from Phoenix, and (C) = where the unidentified was found on a steep, rocky slope near New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona.

After Dan made it to Four Peaks Mountain where his car/wallet were found/abandoned, perhaps he had a medical issue and made his way or hitchhiked back towards Phoenix and ended up stopping at (C) – New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona where he met his demise.

NOTE: When authorities searched Dan’s house, they found an open notebook on the table along with a glass of soda and a “BIBLE”. Since the unidentified was found near the New Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, perhaps this could be Dan who went hiking first and then ended up at a more "spiritual" place on his way home. He was also noted to be a talented "artist" and very intellectual (astrophysics).

I apologize but I am unable to figure out how to do a side by size of the unidentified and Dan. :(

The Doe Network:
Case File 3793DMAZ

Daniel G. Chervenka, Jr.

Missing since May 29, 1999 from Phoenix, AZ
Vital Statistics
• Date Of Birth: July 13, 1970
• Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
• Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1"; 70 lbs.
• Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
• Clothing: Medium gray t-shirt with horizontal navy blue stripes
• Medical: He is bipolar and may be in need of his medication
• DNA: Available in CODIS

I’m just throwing this out there as food for thought…

Please feel free to delete/move as appropriate. I am unsure if I should have posted this question/possible somewhere else. Thank you

You've got me convinced. I mean what are the odds of the clothing being that close of a match?

In my initial post, I inadvertently forgot to include the map showing the potential route for Dan, so here it is for what it is worth. I hope I did it correct this time.

http://g.co/maps/hchne

Because Dan's car/wallet were found at point B on the map, it seemed very plausible to me that Dan could have ended up at point C (where the unidentified was found).

I'll keep researching to see if I can find something to confirm the year the unidentified was found or some article about him from Sedona. I have been unsuccessful so far, and he is not listed in NAMUS.

I can't seem to find this UID in NamUs. There are many UID in this state. But I think he should be entered because there could be a computer assisted match waiting to happen.

There are no UID's from Coconino County listed in NamUs. Not even Valentine Sally.

154UMAZ.jpg

Here is sort of a side-by-side. The very prominent jawline of the UID does not seem to be there for Dan...

In my initial post, I inadvertently forgot to include the map showing the potential route for Dan, so here it is for what it is worth. I hope I did it correct this time.

http://g.co/maps/hchne

Because Dan's car/wallet were found at point B on the map, it seemed very plausible to me that Dan could have ended up at point C (where the unidentified was found).

I'll keep researching to see if I can find something to confirm the year the unidentified was found or some article about him from Sedona. I have been unsuccessful so far, and he is not listed in NAMUS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back