TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheriff Hammond said it appears the Jeep landed on its rear when it first hit.
He said that caused severe damage and would make it more difficult to determine if anyone had "bumped" it from the rear.
But he said there would be inspection to try to determine if there were any signs of paint from another vehicle left on the rear of the Jeep.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_214723.asp
well now possibly landing on its rear makes it even more curious, imo.
I mean backing over does not add up to me and going over with such speed that would launch the car to potentially land on its rear sounds odd as well.
But futile to speculate without additional info I suppose.

I think we pretty much know the substance of the call. She was scared and she felt was being followed.

Yes, but I was thinking more about the end of the call. Like whether she said, "bye," or "I'll call you later," or what.... I'm thinking about the tone. Are we even certain she hung up? Could she have been disconnected? With all that has happened, I don't remember if those questions have already been answered.

Yes, but I was thinking more about the end of the call. Like whether she said, "bye," or "I'll call you later," or what.... I'm thinking about the tone. Are we even certain she hung up? Could she have been disconnected? With all that has happened, I don't remember if those questions have already been answered.
Oh I see what you mean.
I do not believe there was any abrupt ending to that phone call. But JMHO of course.

Oh I see what you mean.
I do not believe there was any abrupt ending to that phone call. But JMHO of course.

Forgive me if I missed this, do we know who Gail was speaking to on the phone at that time? Did that information ever come out?

I recall it was her sister.

That's what I thought but I could not remember if she talked to her sister early in the morning on her way home to drop the kids off. So, after she dropped the kids off she was talking to her sister...did anything ever come out as to where she was going? Don't you think she would have told her sister on that phone call where she was headed and why?

I am just thinking of all this now that we know there was an accident. I would have to think she told her sister where she was going, but as far back as I can remember that information never came out.

well now possibly landing on its rear makes it even more curious, imo.
I mean backing over does not add up to me and going over with such speed that would launch the car to potentially land on its rear sounds odd as well.
But futile to speculate without additional info I suppose.

Hard not to speculate, that's for sure. IIRC, there's a bit of ground cover and foliage there, before the edge of the bluff. It seems like you would need some power to get through that- at the very least. Unless you powered through to the edge of the bluff, stopped, and then the vehicle tipped or slid?

Unless the Jeep was coming more or less straight across from the road across?

Idk. I can't make sense of this. Back to the drawing board for me.

@abburger
Beth Burger
Remains are now completely removed from scene, said Capt. Bill Johnson. UT truck headed to Knoxville. #GailPalmgren
6 minutes ago

Hard not to speculate, that's for sure. IIRC, there's a bit of ground cover and foliage there, before the edge of the bluff. It seems like you would need some power to get through that- at the very least. Unless you powered through to the edge of the bluff, stopped, and then the vehicle tipped or slid?

Unless the Jeep was coming straight across from the road across?

Idk. I can't make sense of this. Back to the drawing board for me.

The rear hitting the ground first, if true, doesn't make sense at all. The car weight is all in the engine so how it would manage to hit rear first is puzzling. Backing over accidentally sounds very unlikely to me.
My BIL is a PhD in physics so I am going to ask him for his thoughts.

If that rock was tire sized then it maybe weighed 300-500 lbs? Or more? Or less? Anyone know what type of rock we are talking about? Granite vs. shale vs. limestone, etc...

At any rate, the force needed to roll that boulder off the cliff edge indicates at the very least that this was not an instance of backing up too far while trying to turn around due to road closure. (IMO that is.)

From what I've seen of the recovery site photos, the spot where her car left the roadway is not in a space where one could say, well clearly she lost control coming around that curve...

Sending my love and much support to Gail's family (especially her children) and to her friends who must be aching so much right now.

If that rock was tire sized then it maybe weighed 300-500 lbs? Or more? Or less? Anyone know what type of rock we are talking about? Granite vs. shale vs. limestone, etc...

At any rate, the force needed to roll that boulder off the cliff edge indicates at the very least that this was not an instance of backing up too far while trying to turn around due to road closure. (IMO that is.)

From what I've seen of the recovery site photos, the spot where her car left the roadway is not in a space where one could say, well clearly she lost control coming around that curve...

Sending my love and much support to Gail's family (especially her children) and to her friends who must be aching so much right now.
One article said the rock weighed a couple hundred pounds. I can find the link shortly.
I 100% concur that backing over a rock and forcing it off the cliff does not make sense at "back up" speeds, from what we knw at this time. Additonally, I assume the rock which was shaped like a bear, was not a flat rock, and her jeep sets high off the ground.
She was on a straight away but reaching for a phone or purse would be enough to drive off the road but doesn;t make any sense it terms of landing rear end first, if true.

I have more questions than answers I am afraid.

Agreed. But by the same token, I think it also makes it less likely that someone placed an incapacitated Gail in the car, as some have suggested, and then put it in drive and steered it toward the bluff.

IMO, it's looking more and more like Gail drove over at a high rate of speed. But why? I can't see it being a suicide, but I can't see someone being able to successfully force her off the road in broad daylight, at that exact spot, without great risk to themselves.

One other question. Does anyone know what kind of car that MP's girlfriend/adultery partner had just purchased? It seems odd that they would take a flight into Chattanooga together to buy a car for TH, per the newspaper's report. What kind of car did GP tell her sister was following her?

Why would the roof and windshield have been ripped off if it went backend first? I think someone is confused, but we will see.

Sheriff Hammond said it appears the Jeep landed on its rear when it first hit.
He said that caused severe damage and would make it more difficult to determine if anyone had "bumped" it from the rear.
But he said there would be inspection to try to determine if there were any signs of paint from another vehicle left on the rear of the Jeep.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_214723.asp

The sheriff seems to be, again, open to all possibilities. Given how forthcoming he has been with information that may not reflect well on LE, I am energized that they will make sure they know as much as they can about the crash.

as for her final call(s)- we know she talked to her sister-was it ever confirmed if she talked to Matt? I think it was but not sure where the confirmation came from.
I guess the problem I am having is the timeline of 12:25 is sooo tight to have left the house after 12- stopped at a convenience store,talked to her sister for a time, left messages for others,and talked to Matt, then driven off the road in a location 5 minutes away knowing that she was driving most of that time.

The sheriff seems to be, again, open to all possibilities. Given how forthcoming he has been with information that may not reflect well on LE, I am energized that they will make sure they know as much as they can about the crash.
I was also glad to see they seem to be leaving all doors open and will truly investigate. If it is a true accident it should be known,if there is more than meets the eye-that too should become clear.

For anyone local there---is it unusual that NO one looked around the site of the wreck? People went out on searches---could you look over off the road and possibly see below?? It looked pretty dense to me but just curious of the area. I also remember people saying they looked along roads that could have been traveled and there was no sign of an accident yet now its reported this large boulder was out of place---I dunno so many new questions now...sigh

I don't understand about the boulder either - I'm still trying to process all this with my tired brain.

And if she parked on the grassy side of the road and it was slippery that day, there should have been tire tracks going over the edge.

If she drove over the boulder somehow the other rocks should have stopped her fall, it seems to me, unless it was a completely freak accident. To be fair, there had been heavy rain earlier in the week from the tornadoes. But where are the tire tracks?

The tree where the jeep is lodged and all the trees around are a deciduous trees. Looks like a group of oak trees to me, and that makes sense for the area. They would have had huge canopies of leaves over them between April and now so even if someone could have looked down from the Brow, they wouldn't have seen the jeep from above.

The fact is, people did drive the roads and search the roadsides several times. But this is a sheer vertical drop. Even if you went out onto the edge and leaned over - which most people wouldn't do because it's very dangerous - you could never have seen that jeep in the summer time no matter how many people were searching.

From below on the W. Road you can't just look up through the trees. There is a tangle of vines and trees that cover the mountainside for some distance. It's a dense green mass all summer. And basically, you can't really stop on the W and look around whether you're going up or down or you might have a wreck yourself.

And as a local I have to say that there are literally a thousand other places on that mountain where you might expect someone to go over the edge, and I'm sure people checked those places first. The reason police never rapelled down there to that particular place is that they wouldn't have suspected someone could roll/fly off in a jeep without some evidence left on the road.

But what's also significant to me is that there aren't many places on the mountain that don't have guard rails or rock walls either. How did she just happen to go over right there where the road isn't even curvy or particularly dangerous? I have no idea. So the question remains what was she doing there and where was she going?

Actually the odds of getting in an accident the same day you are freaking out about being followed, are pretty good.
You are nervous, scared, anxious, distracted... about being followed. Looking behind you instead of in front of you.
Anytime you are upset and not paying full attention, it is a great opportunity for a distracted driving accident...
Has there been any proof that she was being followed?

I vaguely remember a case where a woman took great pains to indicate that her husband had murdered her, only she in fact committed suicide. She couldn't live without him, and she wanted him punished for his affair. It was all sorted out in the end, but not before the husband was made into a pariah. Not saying that's what happened in this case, but at this point all possibilities are up for grabs.

I do think that with today's technology, LE will be able to determine what happened in this case...car being forced off the road, car going off the mountain at full-tilt, backing off, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member