TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if when the car was airborn going downward, it hit the edge of the first cliff with the rear end, thus causing it to tumble and land against a tree on the second area? But, then again the boulder was found close to the vehicle? (I believe I read.) That doesn't make sense if the car tumbled.

I do believe LE is going to investigate this to the fullest. I read earlier today, that one of the things they were going to look at, was to be sure it wasn't bumped from the rear.

At this point, it's possible she was so distraut that day, she may have just made a fatal error. I've seen someone when they're going through the final beak-up stage of the marriage. It's unbelieveable how emotional they can get. Making snap decisions that normally they wouldn't even dream of. Plus, she feared she was being followed, and all indications from others were that she most likely was, she was in an emotional whirlwind that last day.

fran

The rock was shaped like a bear and was conspicuously absent.
There are 2 lookouts fairly close by and at different points in time they look different. I think you have the correct one because there is no wall behind. But the other one has rocks across it in a similar fashion as your picture but it has a wall behind it. So we just need a current picture.

I suppose if the rock was tall enough it could have gotten dragged by the undercarriage when she went through and the car bounced off trees causing it to ultimately land on the rear end first. Just seems she would have to been moving a pretty good clip. Is there any kind of incline or decline at this point does anyone know?

Don't know the date the picture was taken, I've seen four lookouts along the same stretch of road. (different views.) Here's another lookout next to the last one I've posted. Wish I knew which rock was found or is missing.

Now these rocks are set further back. Road seems fairly level and straight along this stretch, small curves entering and leaving this stretch of road.

browroad4.jpg

Did we ever find out who was in the other vehicle that they found down the mountainside? That's another sad story I'm sure.

Don't know the date the picture was taken, I've seen four lookouts along the same stretch of road. (different views.) Here's another lookout next to the last one I've posted. Wish I knew which rock was found or is missing.

Now these rocks are set further back. Road seems fairly level and straight along this stretch, small curves entering and leaving this stretch of road.

View attachment 19943

I'm under the impression this is the spot, but I could be wrong

View attachment 19943
I think that is the one I have been looking at. But I saw one article mention that the rocks were on the edge of the road.
My dh and I spent a lot of time on google earth and other map sites-unfortunately they all look a little different in each photo and so we are trying to go off descriptions.
BY looking at the video of LE giving the update and showing the area they are working , we were able to isolate the turnout-but are still unclear as to exactly what it looks like at this time.
I am sure we will see lots of pictures as soon as they clear out of there.

Did we ever find out who was in the other vehicle that they found down the mountainside? That's another sad story I'm sure.
I was wondering if people dump their vehicles along any of these roads.

Trying to firm up some information because the rock and being found at the crash scene and I'm still curious where the car left the road. I'll post once again the lookout point on E. Brow road with the rocks across it.

Is this the lookout point people suspect she went over the mountain?

Are any of the rocks missing or is the rock still there? IOW is this picture before the accident?

I think the boulder has a story to tell. Click to enlarge pic.

View attachment 19941

I don't think this is the site, but again I could be wrong..I believe you posted the correct site yesterday or the day before when you posted the address of the house directly across the street..

I wonder if when the car was airborn going downward, it hit the edge of the first cliff with the rear end, thus causing it to tumble and land against a tree on the second area? But, then again the boulder was found close to the vehicle? (I believe I read.) That doesn't make sense if the car tumbled.

I do believe LE is going to investigate this to the fullest. I read earlier today, that one of the things they were going to look at, was to be sure it wasn't bumped from the rear.

At this point, it's possible she was so distraut that day, she may have just made a fatal error. I've seen someone when they're going through the final beak-up stage of the marriage. It's unbelieveable how emotional they can get. Making snap decisions that normally they wouldn't even dream of. Plus, she feared she was being followed, and all indications from others were that she most likely was, she was in an emotional whirlwind that last day.

fran
I was wondering if she got up a high rate of speed because this person was following her and then thought she could pull off suddenly to force them to have to pass and miscalculated.

ETA: I am trying to imagine how the weight of the engine would not pull the nose down first. IMO, the nose had to hit something first and then cause it to flip so the the tail would actually take the first impact with the ground. KWIM?

I was wondering if people dump their vehicles along any of these roads.

Not ususally, not on any of the mains streets, but there are several spots on the mountain where people do dump vehicles.. One is known as Insurance Bluff...JMHO

IIRC.. Gail was reported as being seen at the Insurance Bluff location on the afternoon of April 30th.

Here are the quotes about rock, and it sounds to me as if she was speeding when she hit the rock, but I admit I am really confused about this:

Sheriff Hammond said the Jeep, when it went over, took with it a bear-shaped rock about the size of a car tire. He said a resident across East Brow Road had placed a series of large rocks by the road to deter drivers from going onto the property. Beyond the rocks was a grassy strip. There were hedges beyond that.

The sheriff said the Jeep hit the bear-shaped rock, went across the grassy strip and then through the hedges before tumbling over the steep bluff. The bear-shaped rock was found near the Jeep.

He said the Jeep landed far below on a first bluff, then fell to a second narrow bluff. He said were it not for some trees at that location that the Jeep would likely have rolled on down to the W Road.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_214723.asp

Okay I worked really hard on a screen shot and I hope I don't blow the margins. It's a pic of the first 3 pull-offs right after the house on the curve. I don't know if it will help with anything but one never knows.
(Hi JBean:smile:).

picture.php

And I just had a sickening thought but I'll share it anyway...

What if she was so sleep-deprived and distracted that she thought that was turn-off for the W-Road and that's why she didn't slow down. :( This idea just terrifies me!

That would explain the right-angle turn, but as I say the idea just popped into my head and I really wish it hadn't.

Either that or she was just going too fast, lost control and hit the boulder and couldn't correct in time.

Either way it makes my legs feel weak. :( And it really doesn't explain her going off backwards.

I don't think this is the site, but again I could be wrong..I believe you posted the correct site yesterday or the day before when you posted the address of the house directly across the street..

I agree. I've been searching back through the pages, looking for that picture.

Here are the quotes about rock, and it sounds to me as if she was speeding when she hit the rock, but I admit I am really confused about this:

Sheriff Hammond said the Jeep, when it went over, took with it a bear-shaped rock about the size of a car tire. He said a resident across East Brow Road had placed a series of large rocks by the road to deter drivers from going onto the property. Beyond the rocks was a grassy strip. There were hedges beyond that.

The sheriff said the Jeep hit the bear-shaped rock, went across the grassy strip and then through the hedges before tumbling over the steep bluff. The bear-shaped rock was found near the Jeep.

He said the Jeep landed far below on a first bluff, then fell to a second narrow bluff. He said were it not for some trees at that location that the Jeep would likely have rolled on down to the W Road.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_214723.asp

And IF the jeep had landed on the "W" road on a Saturday it could have been an even bigger disaster for people who were on the "W" at that time because that road is heavily travelled.

I found this picture on Fb. It's a still from a newscast from wrcbtv news. I don't know if it will help you figure out the right spot....or if it's even accurate, but it was from a MSM newscast.

Attachments

• GNP.jpg
    GNP.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 49
And IF the jeep had landed on the "W" road on a Saturday it could have been an even bigger disaster for people who were on the "W" at that time because that road is heavily travelled.

Oh, I know. But to just think of her flying off into thin air - it's devastating. Did I mention I don't like heights anyway?

And I just had a sickening thought but I'll share it anyway...

What if she was so sleep-deprived and distracted that she thought that was turn-off for the W-Road and that's why she didn't slow down. :( This idea just terrifies me!

That would explain the right-angle turn, but as I say the idea just popped into my head and I really wish it hadn't.

Either that or she was just going too fast, lost control and hit the boulder and couldn't correct in time.

Either way it makes my legs feel weak. :( And it really doesn't explain her going off backwards.

TF... I find that highly unlikely since Anderson Pike intersects where the "W" Road begins and Anderson Pike is several blocks from where the car went off the mountain...JMHO

I was wondering if she got up a high rate of speed because this person was following her and then thought she could pull off suddenly to force them to have to pass and miscalculated.

Interesting idea! I can see this happening, actually.

I am not linking any due to really bad taste, but I did google youtubes of cars going over cliffs to see how they roll.
At all different speeds on steep cliffs, they all seem to hit nose first and then do a series of rolls. Because the trees are so thick I think they only way this car hit the ground with the back end first is in a very literal sense. IOW, the front hit something first but the back actually hit the ground first.
That is of course, only if that preliminary statement by LE turns out to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74