Viable suspect: Damien Echols

I wish someone could explain to me why this is the Damien Echols defense fund, and not the Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley defense fund.

There's something about this that seems a bit hinky to me. For instance, if Damien were to die either by natural causes or injection, what happens to this money?

It obviously isn't going to Baldwin or Misskelley because their names aren't on it.
Does it go to Lori? Wouldn't that be something?
Here's an interesting link:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jan/17/money-at-root-of-effort-to-free-3/

I agree there is something 'hinky' going on here with the donor's funds.

From your link:

Isn't it a clear conflict of interest for a spouse of one of the WM3 to have what appears to be ultimate control over funding that is intended for all three young men?'' asks the new Web site that seeks donations of its own on behalf of the three defendants.

West Memphis 3 Innocence Project president Kelly Duda said he likes Davis and applauds her efforts but said she's given no public accounting of her fund-raising efforts. Among concerns, Duda said when he and associates contributed money, they didn't receive receipts.

And then this:

People have been asking these questions for a long time. The house of cards is crumbling,'' Duda, a Little Rock filmmaker, said Wednesday. Donors have a right to know where their money is going and how it's being spent. That's not happening.

Please note that the article to which you refer was written almost four years ago. The dispute was solved fairly quickly it seems, and the splinter group seems to be defunct. Its website ( http://wm3ip.blogspot.com/ ) apparently hasn't posted anything since February, 2008, when the article announcing the reconciliation of the lawyers with the newly-formed group. (Damien and Lori soon reconciled with the group, too.) All this shows is that emotions were running very high after the DNA disclosures. I noticed that you failed to quote this from the original article:

"They are all happy with the way the money is being spent,'' Davis said. Indeed, Echols' San Francisco lawyer, Dennis Riordan, said he had no misgivings about Davis' fund-raising."

and:

"It's all accounted for,'' Riordon said. Suggestions to the contrary by the new organization are 'absolutely false,' he said."

Of course, now that the three are free, bringing this up again is really moot, don't you think?

Please note that the article to which you refer was written almost four years ago. The dispute was solved fairly quickly it seems, and the splinter group seems to be defunct. Its website ( http://wm3ip.blogspot.com/ ) apparently hasn't posted anything since February, 2008, when the article announcing the reconciliation of the lawyers with the newly-formed group. (Damien and Lori soon reconciled with the group, too.) All this shows is that emotions were running very high after the DNA disclosures. I noticed that you failed to quote this from the original article:

"They are all happy with the way the money is being spent,'' Davis said. Indeed, Echols' San Francisco lawyer, Dennis Riordan, said he had no misgivings about Davis' fund-raising."

and:

"It's all accounted for,'' Riordon said. Suggestions to the contrary by the new organization are 'absolutely false,' he said."

Of course, now that the three are free, bringing this up again is really moot, don't you think?

The article I am quoting and left a link to is from a reliable media source and it is quoted from there.

It looks like your link is to someone's blog.

I don't think Misskelley was all that happy about the way things were done and I'll bet that Baldwin got raked over the coals too.

The article I am quoting and left a link to is from a reliable media source and it is quoted from there.

It looks like your link is to someone's blog.

I don't think Misskelley was all that happy about the way things were done and I'll bet that Baldwin got raked over the coals too.

My point is that the article is four years old, and a lot has changed since then. The link I provided was to the supposed website for the group challenging the distribution of funds. As I said, since the dispute was settled several years ago, their organization now appears to be defunct.

The Baldwin and Misskelley lawyers are the "lawyers" referred to in the article in the link I provided. The actual article was in the West Memphis Times, which is a newspaper just as reliable as The Commercial Appeal in your link. It appears that the Times has ceased publication so I cannot link to the actual paper. My link (referencing the paper) is, therefore, the best available.

What is up with the new "West Memphis 3 Freedom Fund"????? Seriously, if I was a supporter I'd be suspicious. (and they have a right to be).

What is up with the new "West Memphis 3 Freedom Fund"????? Seriously, if I was a supporter I'd be suspicious. (and they have a right to be).

It is my understanding that this fund, to be distributed to all three according to need, has been established to help cover their living expenses, etc. until they can get back on their feet. They were released from prison with the clothes on their backs.

The State is setting them up to fail by not providing any sort of help in adjusting to the "outside" world. The fund was established to provide such help. Peter Jackson has also graciously provided help on his own. I am a supporter, and I understand this fund completely. Without help, they could easily be tempted to get into trouble.

I guess that's really what the State wants. At least that's the way it seems to me. That way the State could say, "See? We told you that they're no good!" Supporters don't want that to happen so we are continuing to support them until they can stand on their own.

.....The State is setting them up to fail by not providing any sort of help in adjusting to the "outside" world.........
I guess that's really what the State wants. At least that's the way it seems to me. That way the State could say, "See? We told you that they're no good!" Supporters don't want that to happen so we are continuing to support them until they can stand on their own.

(snipped from entire post)

Only Misskelley lives in the state where the murders were committed and, it seems to me, that he is hardly being harrassed by the state of Arkansas. The only times the state has done anything involving him since his release was
(1) amended his Alford Plea so that he could be with the other two in NYC for PL3 showing (this was done as a favor for him because felons are not allowed to associate with other felons--Echols and Baldwin's Alford Pleas were also special in that they were allowed associate with one another.
(2) Misskelley was asked to leave a home where he had been living because a minor child, that was not his, was living there. I would guess that the parent of that child, or a relative, complained about his presence there? He was told he had to move. It was all very odd because that GQ story stated he lived with some older woman friend(?) and I thought that he and his girlfriend/fiancee Susie lived together in a home?

I think any problems Misskelley has are of his own making.

It is my understanding that Jessie and Susie were living with a male friend of Jessie's. IIRC, Stephanie Dollar (who is an older female friend of Jessie's) had offered, but it was decided that it wouldn't look right. So, they moved in with this male friend (whose name I do not know). Whatever happened that caused State officials to insist on Jessie's move, it is just proof of what I am saying. Jessie is being persecuted, and I'm not entirely sure that the State isn't behind it. Yes, he is the only one remaining in Arkansas. Personally, I wish he would move. However, he wants to remain near his father, and he should be able to do so without fear of harassment by the State or anyone.

It is my understanding that this fund, to be distributed to all three according to need, has been established to help cover their living expenses, etc. until they can get back on their feet. They were released from prison with the clothes on their backs.

The State is setting them up to fail by not providing any sort of help in adjusting to the "outside" world. The fund was established to provide such help. Peter Jackson has also graciously provided help on his own. I am a supporter, and I understand this fund completely. Without help, they could easily be tempted to get into trouble.

Oh please! Peter Jackson just paid Jessie's rent for one year.

The same Peter Jackson flew Lorrie and Damien to NZ for a holiday where they produced a movie, or a documentary.

Johnny Depp took Damien to Disneyland and they got matching tattoos!

I hardly think ANY of them are struggling. The freedom fund is IMO IMO nothing but a rort.

I have no idea what a "rort" is, but I believe that allowing supporters to continue to offer financial assistance to the freed men is totally alright. No one is being forced to contribute. I don't think that Peter Jackson should be expected to foot the entire bill (although he might be willing to do so). Mainly, I believe all this harping about the Freedom Fund is a tempest in a teapot since no one is being forced to contribute to it.

There are a few questions related to DE's psychiatric history and treatment on Death Row so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss it here ..

Here’s something we can all agree upon. The records from Damien’s mental health evaluations show that Damien Echols is a very mentally disturbed person.

[Mother] was most concerned about son “not learning to deal with anger and rages”. [Mother] mentioned her belief that son may be responding to outside stimulation. Voiced fear “son may be crazy.”

"He is quite paranoid.” Elsewhere a nurse wrote, “Verbalized concern that there is surveillance cameras behind his mirror & under his desk in his rm — cautioned peer that staff are constantly watching them

Approx. three hours after Damien arrived, he was sitting in rec. area with several other residents. One of the boys had scraped his arm a little, and it was bleeding some. Without warning, Damien grabbed the arm that was bleeding, and began to suck the blood from it. The boys all stated he had been saying he had not taken his medication the night before, and he was about to “go off on them”. Damien was asked why he did this, and he stated “I don’t know.” He also told staff he had threatened to kill his father and eat him.

Although frequently unsuccessful in these aims, this teenager believes that past degradations may be undone by provoking fear and intimidation in others.

Damien relates that a spirit is now living with him. The spirit was put inside him last year. He indicates that a month ago the spirit decided to become part of him and he to become part of the spirit. This is reportedly a spirit of a woman who was killed by her husband. When questioned about how he feels with this spirit or what the difference is, Damien is able to relate that he feels stronger and more powerful with this spirit. He has not seen the spirit but does hear the spirit. In addition, he also reports conversations with demons and other spirits.

Damien explained that he obtains his power by drinking blood of others. He typically drinks the blood of a sexual partner or of a ruling partner. This is achieved by biting or cutting. He states “it makes me feel like a God”. Damien describes drinking blood as giving him more power and strength. He remembers doing this as far back as age 10.

[Patient] has made threats to kill himself by hanging w bed sheet or tying socks together & told grandmother today that he would cut his mother’s throat.

The patient appeared to be sniffing the air around him as if he were responding to an external stimulus. When he was questioned as to what he was doing, the patient gave an inappropriate smile and was unwilling to discuss what he was doing. Upon several occasions, the patient also cut his eyes in one direction or the other as if he were hearing or thinking of something before he spoke.

The patient denies suicidal or homicidal ideation at this time, however, in talking with family members, they state that he made it quite clear that he had thoughts of harming other people

Mr. Echols has been evaluated on three separate occasions by three different psychologists, each of whom administered a battery of tests. A prominent feature of each evaluation was the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), which was administered on June 8, 1992; September 2, 1992; and February 20, 1994. The independent test results were quite consistent; all revealed valid profiles and strong indications of depression, mania, severe anxiety, delusions and psychosis.
Test results for the June 8, 1992, MMPI reflected elevations on scores of psychotic thinking, including hallucinations, paranoid ideation, and delusions, as well as severe anxiety and other related emotional disturbances. The suggested diagnoses were schizophrenia, disorganized type; and bipolar disorder, manic. Individual responses on this test revealed that Mr. Echols was afraid of losing his mind, had bizarre thoughts, and had very peculiar experiences. Three months later, on September 2, 1992, a second MMPI was administered. The test results very closely paralleled the findings of the earlier MMPI. Shortly before Mr. Echols’ trial began in 1994, he was administered the MMPI a third time for the purpose of identifying mitigating evidence. Like the other two, this MMPI revealed psychotic thought processes consistent with schizophrenia.
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img/exh500.html
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/gwoods.html

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

Bringing this over from the Common Ground thread ...

I guess I might be overly cynical. If the state was to spend money on a psychiatrist then they may think it priority to treat prisoners that will return to population, Is death row even considered part of the correction system? and to what ends?

any physician can write a script for sedatives, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds. no psychiatrist needed for that. not even the infirmary doc really. all is needed is for the doc to look at the inmate file, and send a nurse to administer the drug. earlier on in his incarceration, '96 there is an interview with DE in which he is bears all the characteristics of being under some type of sedation. with no psychiatric evaluation, as is recorded, they could have sincerely been playing with fire considering his previous records from the mental health facility. if we are to believe the notes and assessments made by the mental facility staff were, in fact, accurate he would be in a highly delicate mental state. the prison authorities likely didn't care since as gheckso so rightly phrased it, he was a dead man walking. for me the proof in the pudding of DE's stable mental state is he didn't go over the edge. here's that clip i mentioned... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOuEo1ouDOk

for me the proof in the pudding of DE's stable mental state is he didn't go over the edge.
He was clearly way out in the deep end when he wrote his letters to Glori Shettles. Some notable excerpts:

They can’t beat me and God still tried everything he can to kill me but he can’t. Death can’t stop me. I would be only the third person in history to raise from the dead. Lazarus, Jesus Christ, Damien. I will prove it very soon. Afterwards I will come to power and nothing will stop me.

They will all believe it very soon. Unmask, Unmask …. And the Red Death held sway over all. Now they take their medicine. They’ll take it and they’ll like it, the stupid little *advertiser censored*, or they’ll have their brains bashed the **** out.

I can end all of you anytime now, you stupid ****s. I can see physical changes happening in my body. I can tell it’s getting ready. The abonations have already begun to be spit forth from the Earth. I have seen some of them. I will become one soon. I will be the king of freaks. I see a perfect explosion, God’s amunition dump going up in the flames of righteousness, Satan storming heaven, his artillery captain a fiercely grinning fool with red flayed cheeks, Damien by name, never to be Michael Hutchison again. The end is here. Kiss your *advertiser censored* goodbye. People could see if they would open their eyes and see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back