Identified! CT - Hartford Co., male body off Route 72, Nov'11 - Janusz Wlodarczyk

Sleuthnewbie

Reaction score
NamUs link: https://identifyus.org/cases/9513

The UID was discovered on the shoulder of Route 72 East at exit 8 in New Britain, CT on November 13, 2011. Postmortem interval is listed at 3 hours.

He is described as a white male from 30 years to 45 years old, having short black hair, and brown eyes. His height was measured at 5'7" and weight at 168 pounds.

The UID was wearing blue jeans, black socks, black shoes, a brown belt, green boxer shorts, a brown button up shirt, and a grey tank top.

Dentals are available on NamUs and DNA has been submitted but tests are not complete.

There already is a very long list of rule outs for this UID. One possibility that came to mind to me was Michael Mongillo of Bristol, CT. However, I am having difficulty finding descriptive information on Michael. Judging from his image, his hair seems dark but I cannot make out his eye color. He also appears to be taller than 5'7".

Still, a definitive list of descriptive info would be helpful.

This really frustrates me. I live in CT, and have not heard any mention of this John Doe anywhere before this thread. How did he die? What was the ME's finding? Murder? Accidental death? Suicide? Natural causes? How about a picture. That would surely help.

I live in CT as well mstrbill. I was mystified why there was no picture of the UID and it does say on the report IIRC that he has a recognizable face. Perhaps the state of CT doesn't post photos of UIDs on NamUs like other states. It's a shame, really.

I couldn't find any cause of death either on the report.

The rule out list for this UID has expanded to 57 people.

First Name Last Name Year Of Birth State LKA
Myron Alberding 1944 New York
Paul Allard 1962 Florida
Orin Anderson 1956 Wisconsin
Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
Lyndal Ashby 1938 Kentucky
Michael Askren 1964 California
David Bacon 1946 New York
Richard Bayne 1953 New York
Gabriel Caporino 1933 Louisiana
Steven Chait 1951 New York
Mark Collman 1957 Illinois
Jose Concepcion 1969 New Jersey
Gregory Cook 1951 New York
Clarence Dellis 1940 Louisiana
Douglas Depue 1964 New York
Edward DuBarry 1947 New Jersey
EDWARD DUBBS 1937 Connecticut
James Egan 1954 Wisconsin
Neil Evelich 1969 Connecticut
Ned Ewing 1962 New York
Jerald Gelb 1961 Massachusetts
WILLIAM GRANT 1942 Connecticut
Jon Haynes 1962 Colorado
Mark Johnson 1964 Connecticut
JOSEPH KASAK 1937 Connecticut
Robert Keck 1963 Pennsylvania
Sean Kellar 1979 Massachusetts
Ryan Kemp 1951 Pennsylvania
Christopher King 1950 California
Mark Kommel 1948 New York
George LaForest 1961 New York
Kenneth LaManna 1949 Connecticut
Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
Michael Mansfield 1956 Illinois
William Newman, Jr. 1955 Louisiana
GERALD PEASHA, JR. 1965 Massachusetts
Dominick Pendino 1962 New York
Michael Pfaff 1951 New York
Jay Pringle 1959 Oregon
SALVATORE RAFALA 1942 Connecticut
Louis Reyes 1966 New York
Joseph Rodziewicz Jr. 1957 Massachusetts
Douglas Rubin 1957 New York
DAVID RUSCH 1949 Connecticut
Daniel Ryan 1974 New York
Frank Santmyer, Jr. 1952 Maryland
JAMES SCAVONE 1977 Connecticut
Randy Sellers 1962 Kentucky
Claude Shelton 1934 Kentucky
William Smolinski Jr 1973 Connecticut
JEFFREY STONE 1957 Connecticut
Charles Teets 1949 New Jersey
David Thomson 1947 Minnesota
Anthony Urciuoli 1969 New York
Gaetano Vallese 1945 New York
Mitchel Weiser 1956 New York
Nicholas Zizzamia 1956 New Jersey

I went ahead and sent an email to the medical examiner and submitted the person Michael Mongillo as a possibility because his age is within the 30-45 year window of the UID, and Michael has what looks like the same color hair - and short - as the UID. I was a bit surprised he wasn't on the rule out list as well.

I will let you know if I hear anything.

here's a guy from CT not on the rule out list Donny Cappella,missing from New Haven in Oct 2009. Donny was 39 y.o., 5'9" 150 lbs, black hair, brown eyes and no identifying scars or tattoos:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/3605/9/

only problem is they have no photo, fingerprints, DNA or dentals so there is nothing to compare him to.

Got a reply from the ME this morning.

Dear [my name],

Thank you for your tip. I called the investigating Sgt. At the New Britain Police Department and he had already spoken and looked into the case of Michael Mongillo as a possible match for our Unidentified. Michael did not match the more in depth description that the Bristol Police gave him.

Thank you very much for the tip, it is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Michelle Clark

There's a NamUs MP casefile and facial reconstruction now for this John Doe.

https://identifyus.org/cases/9513

2135074550045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

He looks amazingly like Kevin Bowman of Twin Falls ID.
bowman_kevin.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bowman_kevin.html

The ears are spot-on.

But the height is off by 5 inches, Kevin doesn't have the scar on the right side of his upper lip (as is depicted on the UID), and there is no mention of a scar on the UID's head.

I'm very happy that a reconstruction was posted. I had mentioned in my email to the medical examiner that it would be cool to have an image to compare the UID to missing persons.

However, CT has another problem that very few recent missing persons are posted in NamUs or Charley Project. While the fact that this UID is in NamUs with a huge rule out list means they are certainly improving, it is far from sufficient. An article posted today in the Middletown Press says that State Police says there are 37 missing persons cases in CT, but the actual number according to this advocate is 700 or more.

link

Carl, that reconstruction does look a lot like Kevin Bowman, but I agree it is highly unlikely to be him.

I just came to post Michael Mongillo's photo from our other thread, here is the link:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CT CT - Michael Mongillo, 39, Bristol, 24 Oct 2011
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CT CT - Michael Mongillo, 39, Bristol, 24 Oct 2011
I'm so surprised he has been ruled out, they look really close.

The ME stated to me that the UID did not match the description provided by the Bristol PD. However, now that I look at the reconstruction and the image, there are some similarities. The eyebrows and nose in particular look very similar.

I think I will email the ME tonight when I get home and state that after looking at the two images, there are physical similarities and it is worth looking into the two of them being a match.

I sent a reply email to the medical examiner in charge of this unidentified person's case, and it reads as follows:

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that on the NamUs profile for this unidentified person a reconstruction has been posted. Myself and a few others have noted a few similarities from the reconstruction to Michael Mongillo. I also noticed that he has not been added to the exclusion list on the unidentified person’s NamUs profile.

If Michael Mongillo has been conclusively ruled out, then please disregard.

However if he has not been conclusively ruled out, myself and others have noted that the nose shape, eye brow spacing, facial hair, and dimple placement in the reconstruction look very similar to the published picture we have seen of Michael Mongillo.

I think that if he has not been conclusively ruled out based on identifying factors, it may be worth checking Michael Mongillo against this unidentified person.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[my name]

I will let you know if I hear back from the medical examiner.

Could the scar on his upper lip be due to removal of a mole or blemish in that area? When somone has a cancerous/precancerous lesion removed as cheaply as possible without any reconstructive effort a scar usually results.

He looks amazingly like Kevin Bowman of Twin Falls ID.

bowman_kevin.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bowman_kevin.html

The ears are spot-on.

But the height is off by 5 inches, Kevin doesn't have the scar on the right side of his upper lip (as is depicted on the UID), and there is no mention of a scar on the UID's head.
Wow! I wonder if the height is off because the person who reported him missing took a guess? They sure look a lot alike..that nose...looks the same to me... Also how long has Kevin been missing? Maybe he got a scar after he went missing?

Wow! I wonder if the height is off because the person who reported him missing took a guess? They sure look a lot alike..that nose...looks the same to me... Also how long has Kevin been missing? Maybe he got a scar after he went missing?

He could have gotten the scar on his lip after he went missing, but he got the scar on his head before he went missing, and therefore, you would expect to see it on the UID.

Since the PM interval is 3 hours, do you think that the recon is pretty accurate? If so, I really think this man looks more eastern European than Kevin. I agree that the nose is eerily similar. If he had received a cut on his upper lip while he was missing, I would think that the scar would be more reddish than that, but it could just be a mistake in the recon. I know that anytime I get a cut that leaves a scar, it is over a year before the scar turns white (similar to a stretch mark). Maybe I'm just a freak of nature. :)

The chins are slightly different as well. The hairline on the UID seems to be different...it comes out to a point close to his eyebrows and I don't see that on Kevin.

I think the similarities are too close to not submit, but I really think they are 2 different people.

I got an email reply from the medical examiner in charge of this UID this morning. She said that Michael Mongillo has been officially ruled out by the police department in charge of his case. She said the reason he hasn't been added to the rule out list is because there is no NamUs profile for Michael.

I thought that someone could add to that list regardless of that, but perhaps not?

At any rate, we can now move on to other possibilities. If there are any more we come up with I'll be happy to send an email to the medical examiner. She is very nice and very helpful.

Another news story today.

A nice new tidbit of information though:

Police said the man was not carrying any identification but did have possession of a key ring with two keys, one labeled "Weiser."

And it was a suicide. Not sure if that was already mentioned, but he jumped from the overpass. The police believe he may have lived in a surrounding town.

Interestingly, "Weiser" is a town in Idaho!

ETA: After further sleuthing, I see that Weiser is also the name brand of keys and locks. :sigh: Oh well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back