GUILTY Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUSTICE for STEPHANY and NATALEE
resizer.aspx
resizer.aspx
source for pics: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1067703/accused-killer-ate-cake-alongside-body

http://www.rpp.com.pe/2012-01-06-se...-para-joran-van-der-sloot-noticia_438422.html

Partially translated

They say that honest confession does not apply to Joran Van der Sloot

Family Lawyer Stephany Flores, Jose Camarena said the Dutchman can only accept the charges of the prosecution or continue oral proceedings.

At this stage of proceedings against Joran Van der Sloot for the murder of Stephany Flores can not speak of sincere confession and therefore the Dutch only have until next Wednesday January 11 to decide whether to accept the charges of the public prosecutor, said Jose Camarena , a lawyer for the Flores family.

"I think at this stage of the process, talk about sincere confession technically no longer applies . We must not forget that he has had all the stage-level statements and tried to provide and clarify the facts, "he said.

Speaking to RPP News, noted that Van der Sloot requested time to assess whether early termination welcomed the process, but "more than a foregone conclusion he would have to do is to accept the charges Mr. (...) or else not accept the charges and proceed to trial. "

Finally, if the room reflected that imposes the maximum sentence of 30 years on Van der Sloot would go to jail for 52 years, not counting prison benefits, and "will remain a very dangerous not only for Peru but for humanity ".

Ok, so am I understanding this correctly?

Joran WANTS to plea guilty to simple murder. BUT, the pros isn't willing to accept that. Or, IF he were to plea to 'simple murder,' his confession MUST match the facts of the case.

However, during the hearing yesterday, the pros wants the other, he has proof (he feels) to show it was a brutal murder and not a 'simple murder.' Joran was shaking his head when they were claiming that, I understand from one of the articles I read.

So I guess that would mean they'd have to go to trial. So Joran has five days to figure out if he can convince them it wasn't for robbery? but he just decided to take the $$ AFTER the fact.

But, the pros has emails where he's asking his friends for $$. I'm assuming they're BEFORE the murder, which would then contradict him saying it was only in a minute of undo stress he killed Stefanie?

Is this how anyone else sees it?

fran

Great rundown Fran, that's the way I understand it too.

I believe this delay is just more classic vdS. I do not believe he and/or his lawyer were not aware of the full charges before they entered the hearing yesterday. In his twisted little mind stalling the proceedings is just an attempt to "mess with" the court and he feels like he's gaining some sort of control. :rolleyes:

Given his reported feelings towards woman it is great that he is facing three lady justices. Give it up boyo - you're done!

plus, what if he died in the peruvian prison or was killed? then the US/State of Alabama would have gone through all that time and expense for nothing really (except of course, a possible conviction merely "on the record").

We'll see if they even do this but legally it doesn't sound like too bad a move.

I don't think whether or not he'll survive peru should be the deciding factor. If LE concerned themselves with how long a perp might live they would never try anyone over a certain age since the liklihood of dying increases with age, or wasting their time trying sexual predators knowing that they'll most likely die in prison. There's no guarantees that any perp is going to live. JMHO

But considering what JVDS might be like after being in a Peruvian prison, striking while the iron as the best way to get the truth and conviction might be now before he serves in Peru. And he very well could live to finish out his sentence in Peru.

The US isn't taking anything away from Peru and SF' murder case, Peru still has first rights, he gets tried there first and he serves his sentence first in Peru.

JMHO

My mistake ... that should be years long sentence.

I have to agree with Jinkasaurus on this one ... Joran looked like he was seriously sleep deprived in court and even though he removed his bullet proof vest and jacket, he still looked very old or worn out for a 24 year old. For all the criticism on CNN about his disrespectful demeanor because he yawned and sat casual ... he did appear very tired, pale, jumpy and old beyond his years.

Joran ... having to appear before three women judges when he has a psychological eval stating that he is confrontational with women. No wonder his face was so twisted when he asked for a few days to think.

Joran doesn't deserve a few days to think .... did he give Stephany a few days to do anything? He was being blatantly disrespectful. This his murder trial - he was rolling his eyes, slumping in his seat, and yawning repeatedly, and smirking. So what if he was tired - he can't try and stifle a yawn instead of making a production out of it?

Besides, CNN was only repeating what the magistrate said, right?

plus, what if he died in the peruvian prison or was killed? then the US/State of Alabama would have gone through all that time and expense for nothing really (except of course, a possible conviction merely "on the record").

Elisa Baker AKA the murderer of Zahra Baker was tried (plea bargained) first to murder - sentenced to 14-18 years in state prison. She was immediately handed over to Federal Officials where she recently accepted a plea for 20 years on drug charges, the sentences are consecutive. She will first serve her time with the state then if she is still around will serve her time in Club Fed.

Waiting 20 or 30 years means witnesses will no longer be around to testify. Better to try them quickly (or as quickly as possible). Knowing there's another longggg term ahead gives them something to look forward to (or not).

Hopefully Joran will never walk free again because IMO as long as he is breathing he will pose a risk to society. Anyone else notice how he turned and grinned at the pretty young woman (witness?) in the hearing yesterday as he stood up? And she smiled back!

Elisa Baker AKA the murderer of Zahra Baker was tried (plea bargained) first to murder - sentenced to 14-18 years in state prison. She was immediately handed over to Federal Officials where she recently accepted a plea for 20 years on drug charges, the sentences are consecutive. She will first serve her time with the state then if she is still around will serve her time in Club Fed.

Waiting 20 or 30 years means witnesses will no longer be around to testify. Better to try them quickly (or as quickly as possible). Knowing there's another longggg term ahead gives them something to look forward to (or not).

Hopefully Joran will never walk free again because IMO as long as he is breathing he will pose a risk to society. Anyone else notice how he turned and grinned at the pretty young woman (witness?) in the hearing yesterday as he stood up? And she smiled back!

I think that was one of his interpreters. Two of them were sworn in and sat to his (rear) left.

I think that was one of his interpreters. Two of them were sworn in and sat to his (rear) left.

That's who I was referring to. I watched without any volume before giving up because he makes my skin crawl. I wondered why they were seated so close to him if they were witnesses, I was worried for their safety.

I think Joran willbe just fine. It's the other prisoners that I worry about. He could snap at losing a card game.

Yes I believe that was one of the people in the infamous prison photo. And I thought he had come into Castro Castro after Joran. Then I think he got shipped out after the photo? So if he's already been sentenced, just goes to show how Joran's case is different in the delays.

MOO

Ok, so am I understanding this correctly?

Joran WANTS to plea guilty to simple murder. BUT, the pros isn't willing to accept that. Or, IF he were to plea to 'simple murder,' his confession MUST match the facts of the case.

However, during the hearing yesterday, the pros wants the other, he has proof (he feels) to show it was a brutal murder and not a 'simple murder.' Joran was shaking his head when they were claiming that, I understand from one of the articles I read.

So I guess that would mean they'd have to go to trial. So Joran has five days to figure out if he can convince them it wasn't for robbery? but he just decided to take the $$ AFTER the fact.

But, the pros has emails where he's asking his friends for $$. I'm assuming they're BEFORE the murder, which would then contradict him saying it was only in a minute of undo stress he killed Stefanie?

Is this how anyone else sees it?

fran

That's pretty much how I see it except for the robbery part. They've already agreed at this point to accept the robbery after the fact if he pleads guilty to aggravated murder. He wants to plead to simple murder and the prosecution is not accepting that.

If he had pled to aggravated murder on Friday, the maximum was 30 years but because he had offered a "sincere confession" they were expecting the sentence to be reduced. It appears his lawyer fully expected that to take place on Friday. But Joran decided he needed more time to decide if that is what he wants to do. He disagreed with the aggravating factors even though he had to have known what was going to be presented.

Personally I think he got in that courtroom, saw the three female judges and all the cameras and figured he'd might have a better time of this by going to trial. He might be able to manipulate the judges and he knows the world is watching considering all the press, so he knows he'll be front and centre in the news for a while. Since he's already pretty much confessed to actually killing Stephany, it's the only way he's going to be able to get the simple murder charge as he seems to think that is all he should be charged with.

Now if it goes to trial, they can also upgrade those charges to robbery as being the motive and go for life in prison is the way I understand it. So it's a gamble but Joran likes to gamble so we'll have to see how it goes on Wednesday.

MOO

I know this sounds odd, but if you watch the very first part of the video as he passes the inmate to his left, and just before he sits down, he does this weird and very noticable tongue flick at least twice, seemingly directed at that inmate.

I'm wondering if this is one of the taxi drivers, and if this was some sort of non-verbal threat.

I know this sounds odd, but if you watch the very first part of the video as he passes the inmate to his left, and just before he sits down, he does this weird and very noticable tongue flick at least twice, seemingly directed at that inmate.

I'm wondering if this is one of the taxi drivers, and if this was some sort of non-verbal threat.

The guy to his right and the one behind him are the taxi drivers who are also being charged in the case but are there as witnesses.

I noticed the wierd tongue flick as well and thought it odd at first. After re-watching a couple of times, I think he was indicating that he was hot as he began to take off his vest and jacket. I think he was trying to act kinda friendly (as if they were all in the same boat or something) but the guy turned away and wanted nothing to do with him.

That's what I got out of it anyway.

LCoastMom and annalia:

i thanked your posts re: why try jvds in the US right after the trial in peru, but i also wanted to say i never would have thought of those reasons myself so thank you!! for taking the time to respond to my post.

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member