FL FL - GERALD STANO -confessed to murdering 41 victims, 1973-80

If the one-time police officer was the abductor (I assume after all this time, he's been ruled out though) then he would probably have known some pretty good techniques at disposing/covering tracks. Does anyone know if he went out of the area during the time or shortly after she disappeared? Did he have access to any watercraft---could he have dumped her body at sea?

Did Debora ever talk of interacting with anyone (an older individual perhaps?) Did anyone notice any vehicles hanging around her that were not normally otherwise seen?

Seems like I read somewhere that he could not always put time frames with his murders, indicates a memory problem. Wonder if he just lost track? Sickening thought I know.

Hollow said:
The investigators that interviewed him specifically pointed out that he never took credit for any murders they dangled at him that THEY KNEW FOR SURE he didn't commit. So, it seems he may have been considered truthful in at least that respect.

Richard said:
There is another Florida girl who is still missing from that time frame. Debora Sue Lowe , age 13, disappeared on February 29, 1972 from Pompano Beach, Broward County, Florida. Some believe that she was abducted and murdered by another serial killer, as mentioned in the below link. It is possible that she is another Stano victim - but it is probably equally possible that Gail and Susan were victims of the other guy, and Stano was just trying to take credit for their murders. It would be interesting to know if he was ever "caught" trying to take credit for someone else's work.

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1673dffl.html
Here is the link to the thread that I started awhile back on Gerard Schaefer who was the suspect in the abduction/murder of Debora Sue Lowe.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34741&highlight=Gerard+Schaefer

Debbie disappeared in 1972: a child vanished from the streets of Pompano Beach. So many years later, the suffering persists.

Her father, John Lowe, died of a heart attack in 1976. Just 45. His family was sure his health had been undone by the unrelieved stress of his child's disappearance.

Mother Hattie survived until 1995. Never escaped the torment. Never escaped the need to find an answer. What happened that February day when Debora Sue Lowe went missing?

<snip>

BURDEN PASSED ON

The grief didn't end with her parent's death. Rather the burden passed to the next generation.

Eva Newsome, 34, was barely a toddler when Debbie disappeared, so young that her sister eludes memory. Yet she keeps looking. As if she inherited the need to know.

And her older brother, James Lowe, still searches the Internet and pursues leads and calls policemen.

more at the link http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12260106.htm

I wonder if the brother has ever visited WS's?

What this tells me is so many are suffering. It goes from generation to generation. These early crimes are more than likely attributed to the same individual.Serials go unnoticed for years for several reasons, one that the family knows odd behavior but won't reconcile to the fact. In other words....Denial! Then technology now is greater so the killers are more random. They probably move around and all it takes is county to county. Small jurisdictions don't have the resources to investigate unless someone makes a stink and then federal funds are requested.

So, make a stink each and every time you can.

I wonder if he every owned a baby blue duster with a navy/dark blue vinyl top in 1973 or 1974. mentioned in the book "I would find a girl walking" a dectective asked him how he how he could remember the car Barbara Bauer drove (sept 1973). Stano said before he purchased his green duster, he owned a baby blue duster with white vinyl; I am wondering if it may have been a navy/dark blue vinyl top. I looked up the dusters and it looks very similar to the car that approached me in the early morning of 1973 or 1974. I would have been 11 or 12 and the description is similar but the pictures I have found don't really match but because it shows him with long hair or older after his arrest. my neighborhood was just off US 1 in jacksonville, florida and very undevloped off of US1 aka Southside Blvd. I just read Kathy Kelly's book and the car is similar to what I saw that morning but according to her time line in the back of the book it does give his employment/residence in or around Florida in 1973 owning a baby blue duster. In the back of her book it says he purchased his green duster in PA in 1973 but not what month. This is the closest person I have found during that period of time that matches my description/baby blue american car. I do remember it was spotless. After just reading her book it also matches how he would go from calm to angry in a split second and that was exactly how the man who approached me...say good morning, I said Good Morning to I SAID GOOD MORNING...screaming it because I was not giving him any acknowledgment. This all took place less then a 1/4 of mile off of US1, which we know he traveled. Now according to others and gail joiner going missing in 1972...I wonder if traveled up to Jacksonville area.

Was in in Florida in 1973/74 because the green duster is a hit with me on who almost abducted me. The car was green, had some rust or primer on the vehicle. Can anyone tell me? I've been wondering all my life who this low life that almost captured me was.

Debbie disappeared in 1972: a child vanished from the streets of Pompano Beach. So many years later, the suffering persists.

Her father, John Lowe, died of a heart attack in 1976. Just 45. His family was sure his health had been undone by the unrelieved stress of his child's disappearance.

Mother Hattie survived until 1995. Never escaped the torment. Never escaped the need to find an answer. What happened that February day when Debora Sue Lowe went missing?

<snip>

BURDEN PASSED ON

The grief didn't end with her parent's death. Rather the burden passed to the next generation.

Eva Newsome, 34, was barely a toddler when Debbie disappeared, so young that her sister eludes memory. Yet she keeps looking. As if she inherited the need to know.

And her older brother, James Lowe, still searches the Internet and pursues leads and calls policemen.

more at the link http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12260106.htm

I wonder if the brother has ever visited WS's?

I am not sure if my brother has any knowledge of WS. I found it yesterday and joined. I will see him later today and make sure he is aware of the site, and aware of all the posts about our sister. Thank You everyone for your caring, compassion, and understanding our pain.

Deborah Lowe is my sister. Trust me, we do make a stink over this case any and every chance we get. The Florida police are so tired of hearing from us...but....we don't care....cause we are REALLY tired of not knowing, not getting any answers, and we are so Fed up with being unable to locate our sister or her remains...we want to bring her home. This case was so mishandled from day 1.....it has been almost 40 years, and her entire police file at Pompano Beach police department consists of 4 pages. That alone says it all....she deserves so much more than 4 tiny pages.

If the one-time police officer was the abductor (I assume after all this time, he's been ruled out though) then he would probably have known some pretty good techniques at disposing/covering tracks. Does anyone know if he went out of the area during the time or shortly after she disappeared? Did he have access to any watercraft---could he have dumped her body at sea?

Did Debora ever talk of interacting with anyone (an older individual perhaps?) Did anyone notice any vehicles hanging around her that were not normally otherwise seen?

Debbie never mentioned being approached by anyone, however she had such a open and friendly personality that she would not have found it odd if someone had approached her.
Does anyone know approx. when Stanos began his killing? My sister Debbie vanished in 1972...but I can't seem to locate a timeline on Stanos.

Serial Killers Timelines is a project of the psychology department at Radford University with a timeline and summary of information for each of various serial killers, including Stano. It doesn't mention the move to Florida, but I've read in at least two other sources that he relocated with his parents in late 1972.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Stano, Gerald.pdf

Serial Killers Timelines is a project of the psychology department at Radford University with a timeline and summary of information for each of various serial killers, including Stano. It doesn't mention the move to Florida, but I've read in at least two other sources that he relocated with his parents in late 1972.

1974 22-23 Barbara Ann Baur and another woman, never identified, are both found dead
Can anybody tell me where they were found? Does anybody have a link to the doe network that goes to this unidentified? I would like to look and see if they have any type of description of her. A case number, a jurisdiction or anything?

1974 22-23 Barbara Ann Baur and another woman, never identified, are both found dead
Can anybody tell me where they were found? Does anybody have a link to the doe network that goes to this unidentified? I would like to look and see if they have any type of description of her. A case number, a jurisdiction or anything?

According to these links Baur was found in Starke, Florida , and the unidentified woman was found in Altamonte Springs, Florida.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/gerald+stano

http://psychautopsy.weebly.com/2/post/2008/05/career-of-death1.html

That last link has pictures of some of the women thought to be his victims.

Identity Of `Madame X' Remains Mystery

April 27, 1998|By Rene Stutzman and Jill Duff-Hoppes of The Sentinel Staff
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS — She was no glamour gal. She was overweight, didn't shave her legs and wore polyester pants with an elastic waistband.
Still, somebody loved her. A diamond wedding ring was found near her body, and pathologists think she had one or two children.
It has been 24 years since the body of ``Madame X,'' as she was dubbed by authorities, was discovered in dense brush behind the Interstate Mall at State Road 436 and Interstate 4.
Her killer, serial murderer Gerald Stano, died in Florida's electric chair last month for another slaying - one of 41 to which he confessed.

[ame="http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=11953"]Unidentified Female, Located in Altamonte Springs, Florida, 1974 - Cold Case Investigations[/ame]

How very very sad....one has to wonder why nobody looked for her....her husband,or her children. Her poor children have probably went all these years feeling deserted and unloved by the mother Stano murdered.

Identity Of `Madame X' Remains Mystery

April 27, 1998|By Rene Stutzman and Jill Duff-Hoppes of The Sentinel Staff
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS — She was no glamour gal. She was overweight, didn't shave her legs and wore polyester pants with an elastic waistband.
Still, somebody loved her. A diamond wedding ring was found near her body, and pathologists think she had one or two children.
It has been 24 years since the body of ``Madame X,'' as she was dubbed by authorities, was discovered in dense brush behind the Interstate Mall at State Road 436 and Interstate 4.
Her killer, serial murderer Gerald Stano, died in Florida's electric chair last month for another slaying - one of 41 to which he confessed.

Unidentified Female, Located in Altamonte Springs, Florida, 1974 - Cold Case Investigations

How very very sad....one has to wonder why nobody looked for her....her husband,or her children. Her poor children have probably went all these years feeling deserted and unloved by the mother Stano murdered.

BBM

It is very possible that they have looked for her. But like with your case, for some reason her missing report and the remains never got connected. It happened quite a bit back then.

BBM

It is very possible that they have looked for her. But like with your case, for some reason her missing report and the remains never got connected. It happened quite a bit back then.

Yes, you are so right. All to often Jane/John Does of this time frame were buried as unidentified and no DNA was saved. We have been fighting for years to have these bodies exhumed, DNA samples taken, and then reburying them.We have made some progress, as about 7000 Jane/John Does from this time frame now have DNA profiles in the system. Yet each body is a huge battle, and getting the money shaken out of budgets is an exhausting task. It is an uphill battle, but we will keep climbing that hill until we get them all identified.
At this point we are long past the,one of them may be our sister position....we are at the everybody is somebodies child and all these families deserve answers......all the buried unknown deserve to go home.

BBM

Thank You for the link that lead me to her descriptive info. I will see to it that this info makes it into the hands of the missing person org. that we know work with in Florida. Possibly once a picture of her ring, and details of her clothing get to the proper places, then maybe...or rather hopefully Madam "X" can at last find her way home.....and her children will then know......she did not leave them.

My mother actually knew Gerry. One of her best friends was the former wife of his (adoptive) brother and Gerry would tag along when they would hang out. My mother describes him as being awkward and dorky. They were friendly towards each other but he never flirted with her in any way although she was very pretty. He was always respectful, not an obvious "woman-hater" or violent person.

Here's the kicker:
One night, he drove her home.
In the same car that he picked up his victims and transported their bodies.
She says the car smelled like death and thought this was because he liked to go fishing a lot and maybe spilled some bait or fishy water in the back seat.

My mother also said that besides hanging around his brother and his brother's friends he also had another friend who he associated with a lot. My mother cannot remember his name but she described him as creepy. Has there ever been mention of a friend of his? She thinks that there is a possibility he did not work alone and might have took credit for the murders his friend committed.

There is also a chance that he was "fed" unsolved cases during his interrogation and took credit for them to make himself sound more.... grandiose.... than he really was.

He loved attention... he just didn't go out of his way to get it, being the awkward loner he was.

I will ask her if she has any more interesting information on him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back