TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Gail had a vested interest in coming across as calm, cool and collected when it came to dealing with public entities as she knew she was going to be in for one heck of a fight when it came to taking some control away from MP in the court system during their upcoming divorce proceedings, and I'm sure she knew all too well that he would pull out all the stops including insinuating she had mental problems!

She was putting on her "public" voice and demeanor, I do believe. Also, I believe she did not want to cause unnecessary alarm to the children there with her in the vehicle.

Toward the end of the call, the 911 dispatch operator did tell Gail to call 911 back when she got close to home if she needed help...which indicates to me that there was a perceived threat of danger.

Now that the 911 call has been released and then going back over MP's final news interview, I think there's a MUCH clearer picture of what happened that fateful Saturday back in April. Following this case from the beginning, I was almost sure MP had harmed his wife. But knowing what I know now, I don't believe he did physically harm GP. Oh, he ACTED suspicious, but this is one time his lawyer did him absolutely NO favor by telling him not to talk to LE or the media. It definitely did more harm than good.

IMHO, if MP or his attorney or LE had been a little more up front with what transpired just before GP disappeared from site, someone, even on the www would have had the facts more clearly, which might have lead to the recovery of GP MUCH sooner. IF LE had put it out there about the sudden drop of altitude, people would have been looking MORE over the side of the road, rather than thinking she could be anywhere in the country other than SM.

I do believe MP thought GP was at the lake house that Saturday night and Sunday. I know he phoned and texted her with no response, but this may have happened before, ie an argument and she goes to the lake and won't respond to his contact attempts, until she was ready to talk. It appears she wasn't the one who told him, on the way home, that they were on their way back, but one of the children. He wasn't really concerned of the no contact, until the sis called and MP called AD and realized GP hadn't returned to the Lake. He may have still not necessarily been concerned enough to contact LE but did it at other's insistence. When he told AD she was 'ruining everything,' that did sound suspicious out of context, but now it appears he may have meant she was interfering in their marriage and this was norm and to but out. He just didn't say it very well............... Recall also, at that moment in time, MP did not realize GP was NEVER going to return, so he probably did believe she went somewhere else other than the lake house.

Sure, AD did jump the gun with her accusations, but MP did himself no favor by refusing to speak to her. Actually, getting an attorney and filing all the custody stuff etc., made him look even worse. I think he was just so concerned with HIS STUFF and kids, he acted irrationally to his own detriment. I sincerely HOPE that some def attorneys watched this case and IF they're ever in a similar situation with one of their clients, and they're absolutely convinced the client didn't harm the victim, that they allow their client to talk to LE and the media, rather than basically taking the 5th, without saying the words. kwim?

LE most likely did say something about a 12 to 14 hour cooling off, (I THINK they meant AT LEAST 12 hours) but not MUST. (meaning she HAD to return the kids in that time) I think MP took it literally MUST, because this MAY have been his final weekend with the kids before the couple separated, he was reported to have told GP he was filing papers early that next week. Unfortunately, GP was in such an emotional state that last day, after she dropped the children off (I do believe she was physically afraid of MP at that point) she just wanted to talk, ie to her cousin and sis. After she stopped at the little market (or whatever) she may have been driving and trying to compose herself and like LE said, suddenly swerved (perhaps to avoid something in the road) and over corrected. I've lost friends in one car accidents when they over-corrected and flipped. :( This was a mountain road and the window of error is narrower than say, a desert road stretch.

I know MP has minimized AD's relationship, but I'm not going to get into that. I do believe GP was AD's bff and AD knew a LOT MP had no idea she knew. He knows he was in the wrong for the break-up for their marriage, but now GP is gone and he's left to pick up the pieces, so his news conference was a little of him trying to dispel rumors and in so doing he didn't discuss parts of his and GP's relationship, which frankly, is no one else's business, except that it ended up taking a large part of the past several months mystery of GP's disappearance. I'm not going to criticize AD for her relentless determination to find her friend, but I hope she will find it in her heart to, at the least, write a note to MP and apologize for her accusations, but in the same breath, tell him she was only looking out for GP and hopes he'll see her point.

OTOH, in closing, it would have been nice if MP had shown a little remorse for his role in all this. I'm not blaming him, please don't get me wrong. But he did do GP wrong and the last thing she was thinking about, was what was she going to do now that she'd lost her husband and was about to loose the life as she knew it? She was in a horrible emotional state. Just a little compassion for his poor departed wife could definitely go a long way in gaining some sympathy for him by those around him. NOT because his children have lost their mother, but because the woman he'd vowed to honor and cherish, was taken way too soon because of a horrible accident.

JMHO
fran

RIP Gail. You will be dearly missed by your loved ones. :rose:

IMO, Gail had a vested interest in coming across as calm, cool and collected when it came to dealing with public entities as she knew she was going to be in for one heck of a fight when it came to taking some control away from MP in the court system during their upcoming divorce proceedings, and I'm sure she knew all too well that he would pull out all the stops including insinuating she had mental problems!

She was putting on her "public" voice and demeanor, I do believe. Also, I believe she did not want to cause unnecessary alarm to the children there with her in the vehicle.

Toward the end of the call, the 911 dispatch operator did tell Gail to call 911 back when she got close to home if she needed help...which indicates to me that there was a perceived threat of danger.

BBM- Definitely. Because I keep thinking as others have said that there would not have been any requirement for her to return. As far as we know, there had been no official filing for separation or divorce, so there would have been no court ordered arrangement for custody. I have been through an ugly breakdown of a marriage and divorce and I think if it were me, at that point, I would have told him to stuff it or something along those lines. She was their mother and had every right to keep them with her. He says they had agreed for him to have the children that weekend, but I thought the plan involved him coming to the lakehouse, so I don't think turning right around after making that long trip and coming back to SM was what she wanted or had planned to do. That leaves me to believe that she was frightened and may have felt threatened. That is the only thing that would have caused me to come back. JMO

Does anyone remember if the report specified whether or not Gail's cellphone was found inside or outside of the Jeep? TIA

You're exactly right!

There was no court order in place giving specific instructions as to when and where Gail could have the children alone with her. MP and Gail were still married, tmk, neither had filed for a divorce, yet, so there were no parenting plans in place. Either one was free to take the children where and when they felt like it, within reason of course. The police may have suggested a time frame, but they certainly could not have mandated a time frame nor could MP, legally...All, IMHOO!

In an impending divorce situation, not having a court order in place wouldn't completely absolve a parent if that parent was trying to alienate the minor children. Behavior by a parent at any time regarding children, and attempts by a parent to keep children away from the other parent at any point, especially after the marriage has deteriorated to the point of wanting a divorce, will be looked at by a judge. And generally, judges absolutely will not stand for that kind of action at any point if it is seen as game playing involving children. Maybe MP had a discussion with LE about wanting to spend time with the kids, and it was suggested that she bring them back after the cooling off period just to keep the peace. Maybe MP felt that Gail would keep them in Alabama and not bring them back because he knew she could do that legally.
If Gail wanted custody of the kids, she would need to be mindful of her behavior involving their time with their father. She documented their return, and she left so that there would be no fighting in front of the kids. I think she was trying to be a reasonable parent doing the right thing, and give him nothing to use against her if a custody battle ensued.
Unfortunately, lots of failed marriages get to this point, and the parents do play games with each other,make accusations, and document things, tape conversations, hide assets and hire PI's. Gail was already taking steps to protect her assets. I'm sure she knew what she had to do to keep the kids with her.
It was just terrible timing that Gail's accident took place while she was losing her marriage. But the stress and pain she was feeling undoubtedly contributed to the distraction that caused her accident.

After a consultation between the owners of Websleuths and the forum administrators, the decision has been made to keep Gail's case threads closed.

I think you are an amazing, dedicated, talented group of sleuthers who poured your heart and soul into a case that had no winners, and so much collateral damage.

Peace to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members