Sidebar Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to weigh in on the smoking issue.
(apologies to those who have already seen this posted elsewhere on the forum)

When I was a kid, our family would often take road trips - five kids in the back and both parents in the front smoking to their heart's content with the windows up. At home during winter, seven of us would be shut up in the living room (watching Dragnet or The Man From Uncle or something - punctuated by those ads with the Marlboro man riding his horse across the hills (was that Wyoming?), heater on, parents smoking like locomotives. In fact, in those days we would run to the local corner store to buy the cigarettes FOR them (at 33c a pack).
As a fifteen yo I was even hired by somebody to ride a penny-farthing bike around the local speedway between races and throw free packs of cigs to the crowd. Lol.

Needless to say, I became a smoker myself - and have now been one for 38 years (I did give up for three years in my twenties but went to a party at a Navy base, was offered a cigar and got up the next morning a smoker again .... darn sailors).
But see, those times were different. The mindset was not the same and the dangers were less known.
Now, in my country, stores are not even permitted to display cigarettes, are not permitted to sell them to persons under 18yo, and are required to ask for ID of anyone who appears under 25yo. It is now also illegal to smoke within four metres of the entrance of any building or any other signed area, in any area more than 25% enclosed, within ten metres of a playground or school boundary, in a vehicle carrying persons under 16yo or on a beach.
Sometime this year or next, all cigarettes will be packaged in plain packs with a gory warning only and no branding whatsoever.
Sadly, I still see a lot of kids smoking and wonder if I were a kid in THIS day and age, would I still take it up?
More to the point, can I quit? I wish.
My optometrist says I will be blind by the time I'm seventy due to severe macular degeneration which can be directly attributed to smoking over such a long period. I told him that won't matter because I'll have died of a heart attack by then anyhow.
The moral? I am personally weak-willed but times have changed drastically ..... there's a lot of help and aids available out there, so IF YOU ARE YOUNGER AND MORE SENSIBLE THAN ME, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE - PLEASE GIVE UP NOW ... I'll be happy to ride a funny looking bike over to your place and take them away from you.

Is that the French Ladies Don't Get Fat book? Muriel ?? Congratulations on losing 40 pounds!

Thanks! I did read that one but I preferred William Clower's book.

I'm glad I never got into the whole smoking thing. Well, watching the defense team act like cunning clowns during the trial made me want to smoke, drink and take up boxing lessons (to release all that pent up energy). They do have that effect don't they? ;)

When I was a kid, our family would often take road trips - five kids in the back and both parents in the front smoking to their heart's content with the windows up. At home during winter, seven of us would be shut up in the living room (watching Dragnet or The Man From Uncle or something - punctuated by those ads with the Marlboro man riding his horse across the hills (was that Wyoming?), heater on, parents smoking like locomotives. In fact, in those days we would run to the local corner store to buy the cigarettes FOR them (at 33c a pack).
As a fifteen yo I was even hired by somebody to ride a penny-farthing bike around the local speedway between races and throw free packs of cigs to the crowd. Lol.

Needless to say, I became a smoker myself - and have now been one for 38 years (I did give up for three years in my twenties but went to a party at a Navy base, was offered a cigar and got up the next morning a smoker again .... darn sailors).
But see, those times were different. The mindset was not the same and the dangers were less known.
Now, in my country, stores are not even permitted to display cigarettes, are not permitted to sell them to persons inder 18yo, and are required to ask for ID of anyone who appears under 25yo. It is now also illegal to smoke within four metres of the entrance of any building or any other signed area, in any area more than 25% enclosed, within ten metres of a playground or school boundary, in a vehicle carrying persons under 16yo or on a beach.
Sometime this year or next, all cigarettes will be packaged in plain packs with a gory warning only and no branding whatsoever.
Sadly, I still see a lot of kids smoking and wonder if I were a kid in THIS day and age, would I still take it up?
My optometrist says I will be blind by the time I'm seventy due to severe macular degeneration which can be directly attributed to smoking over such a long period. I told him that won't matter because I'll have died of a heart attack by then anyhow.
The moral? I am personally weak-willed but times have changed drastically ..... there's a lot of help and aids available out there, so IF YOU ARE YOUNGER AND MORE SENSIBLE THAN ME, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE - PLEASE GIVE UP NOW ... I'll be happy to ride a funny looking bike over to your place and take them away from you.

Isn't it strange how many smokers are on this thread alone (myself included)?

I have been a smoker since I was 18 years old, only quitting for pregnancies. I have quit a few times other than that but pregnancies were the only time I was motivated. So, I always started back, because doing it for myself instead of babies never happened.

For those of you who don't smoke, I doubt you will ever start. But for those of us who do, if you are like me it is a constant fear everytime you get a lump, bump, sore throat, is this cancer?

It is like dodging a bullet that will eventually land, in just a matter of time.

Reading this thread has me motivated again, maybe I'll give it a go.

Isn't it strange how many smokers are on this thread alone (myself included)?

I have been a smoker since I was 18 years old, only quitting for pregnancies. I have quit a few times other than that but pregnancies were the only time I was motivated. So, I always started back, because doing it for myself instead of babies never happened.

For those of you who don't smoke, I doubt you will ever start. But for those of us who do, if you are like me it is a constant fear everytime you get a lump, bump, sore throat, is this cancer?

It is like dodging a bullet that will eventually land, in just a matter of time.

Reading this thread has me motivated again, maybe I'll give it a go.
Well said bayouland. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
IMO some people are born smokers and some are not. ie, some are able to kick it and some can't. But, environment plays a big part too. I never smoked in a car with my kids and have not smoked inside the house for over twenty years. Neither of my kids ever even tried a cigarette.

Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, is a great resource and is available legally free on the Internet. It has helped several people that I know.

I'm glad I never got into the whole smoking thing. Well, watching the defense team act like cunning clowns during the trial made me want to smoke, drink and take up boxing lessons (to release all that pent up energy). They do have that effect don't they? ;)

Lol Rose. How true.
I could easily have given up smoking watching the DT's antics .... by jumping off a cliff.

Well said bayouland. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
IMO some people are born smokers and some are not. ie, some are able to kick it and some can't. But, environment plays a big part too. I never smoked in a car with my kids and have not smoked inside the house for over twenty years. Neither of my kids ever even tried a cigarette.

Thank you Well Done.

You are a better person than me. My grown kids have reminded me about smoking with them in the back seat of the car with the windows down - and ashes flying in on them. GUILT. OMG. Once the red fire tip flew back in the back seat and burned my son's brand new jacket.

I knew I shouldn't do that but I did it anyway.

Off to work I go. Have a great day.

I drank WAYYYYY to much during the trial......and of course smoked like the addict that I am. I am glad you don't smoke, don't start!

Boxing lessons, you are so funny!

What I remember, yes. For a very long time, it appeared to only have been in CA's name, then somewhere I think it was either '09 or '10 that the title then included GA, around this time, something was supposedly included to get the foundation name put on the property or it was noticed as foundation headquarters, but for which foundation, I forget now as there were a couple, but still an Anthony run foundation. This was after their other Attorney did that re-fi thingy -Sorry! I forget the name it actually goes by. This is in part why I think nobody is including them in any lawsuits, nothing to sue for-all that non-profit stuff going on.:furious:

BBM - I hope someone sues them so their finances will be exposed. CA/GA were on the verge of bankruptcy and CA was dipping into her 401k to keep up with expenses. Since Caylee was murdered they seem much better off financially. Neither one worked for years. The foundations are an obvious scam and a place for the likes of Phil to give them money under the guise of a donation. Phil's company will be able to write that donation off on their taxes. Blood money. I really don't know how they live with themselves.

IMO

You know this! The Anthony's are remodelling their bathroom on Hope Spring Drive - I mean how bored are we talking about this???:banghead:

As a tax paying American I, along with others who pay their taxes, have to foot the bill for tax cheats.

If foundation money was used for the bathroom remodel then it's fraud and I don't like picking up the tab for the likes of the Anthonys.

IMO

BBM - I hope someone sues them so their finances will be exposed. CA/GA were on the verge of bankruptcy and CA was dipping into her 401k to keep up with expenses. Since Caylee was murdered they seem much better off financially. Neither one worked for years. The foundations are an obvious scam and a place for the likes of Phil to give them money under the guise of a donation. Phil's company will be able to write that donation off on their taxes. Blood money. I really don't know how they live with themselves.

IMO

Considering they turned their backs on little Caylee in the worst of ways this doesn't surprise me. Cindy is capable of anything.

As a tax paying American I, along with others who pay their taxes, have to foot the bill for tax cheats.

If foundation money was used for the bathroom remodel then it's fraud and I don't like picking up the tab for the likes of the Anthonys.

IMO

plus.... using monies gained by defending their daughter on national TV.... You know, the one who let their granddaughter die on her watch and never even bothered to tell the "loving" grandparents about it or seek help.... to build a bathroom is just repulsive beyond words.

hey felon, your daughter call you recently to tell you about the book she was reading while being held hostage by the nanny to teach you a lesson cause you are a spiteful *****? :maddening:

Now, in my country, stores are not even permitted to display cigarettes, are not permitted to sell them to persons under 18yo, and are required to ask for ID of anyone who appears under 25yo. It is now also illegal to smoke within four metres of the entrance of any building or any other signed area, in any area more than 25% enclosed, within ten metres of a playground or school boundary, in a vehicle carrying persons under 16yo or on a beach.

Amazing - different countries, almost identically legally controlled.
Sigh, my heart goes out to you - sadly I have never worried if smoking would kill me - I remember not that long ago walking up a very steep hill with a non-smoking friend of mine - both yakking a mile a minute and smoking with her panting away as a non-smoker and asking me to slow down.

That proves nothing except why I didn't worry about it - silly but I didn't. And I started in my late teens because every adult around kept offering me a cigarette - it was good manners - as in "would you like a cup of tea? Cigarette?". And I have to admit, the bars and the clubs were tons of fun and yes, we all smoked our faces off. It's been at least 20 years since I or any one I know smokes in their home.

The strange thing is my current GP (five years) didn't know I smoked until some old files were transferred to her and she was reading them very recently. (Nosy parker!:great:) She was outraged and I got the big lecture.

But I'll tell you a secret. I used to be an avid scuba diver. One day, a couple of years in, I rented a tank from my diving shop that turned out to be almost empty. Had a bad accident and almost drowned. Since my diving partner was a medical type, he insisted I have a chest x-ray. The tech showed me my xrays like you see in the movies up on the lights and said wow - you have tiny lungs, like a ten year old and they are covered in old scar tissue - what's up with that? So to get to my ripe :)great:) age and find myself having a bit of trouble breathing at times has scared the bejeesus out of me. So it's not that I am so courageous - it's that my reality is breathing over my shoulder big time....:sigh: So not so strong, not so brave, just running a little scared...well a lot....:anguish:.

I officially stopped tonight, only because I've been so sick this last week with the flu-that's sort of gone, except for a sore throat, but now I feel hmmm ... ill. Remember the rocky road fudge? Most is still in the fridge, uneaten. So maybe hindsight is telling me now is the time to finally quit the smokes.

Yes, I agree to this 100%! I'm in! We can ask the others who are either trying to or want to quit how they are doing, no talking down to if anybody goes and falls off the wagon, or isn't on the wagon yet, it all takes time, but we sure can support each other who are going to do this. When I read everyone's posts about smoking, It was like a sign I need to quit this for real this time. Just think in 3 mo's time what a non smoker could buy with smoke money; a nice little perk for a job well done, you can gift yourself with a nice present-Just think what you could buy in a year-WOW:seeya:

BTW, Since I'm probably going to grab the E cig, I will promise to wait until noontime tomorrow, 1/26, to puff on it.

:innocent: So far so good, it's 9:41 am!!!!!!! :fence:........I keep repeating to myself, for Caylee........ for Caylee..... in memory of Caylee... I will not smoke. Hmmm, but I was going to do for a short time, wonder if I can do like you and QUIT longer than just 1/2 day? Thanks everyone

<snipped>

The strange thing is my current GP (five years) didn't know I smoked until some old files were transferred to her and she was reading them very recently. (Nosy parker!:great:) She was outraged and I got the big lecture.

But I'll tell you a secret. I used to be an avid scuba diver. One day, a couple of years in, I rented a tank from my diving shop that turned out to be almost empty. Had a bad accident and almost drowned. Since my diving partner was a medical type, he insisted I have a chest x-ray. The tech showed me my xrays like you see in the movies up on the lights and said wow - you have tiny lungs, like a ten year old and they are covered in old scar tissue - what's up with that? So to get to my ripe :)great:) age and find myself having a bit of trouble breathing at times has scared the bejeesus out of me. So it's not that I am so courageous - it's that my reality is breathing over my shoulder big time....:sigh: So not so strong, not so brave, just running a little scared...well a lot....:anguish:.

Jeez, I loved SCUBA diving, but my pulmonary doc says no more..... due to the COPD :banghead: (don't ya love how we now call it COPD - the "old" name was EMPHYSEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but COPD sounds "nicer".) I miss SCUBA diving, and am jealous that Panini does it so often!

There was a commercial on ID last night about a new show starting soon called "Killer Trials" and one of the flash pictures showed FCA and CA. I couldn't find a link on their site this morning.
If there were an episode on this trial, I wonder if it would just be a rehash of what was shown before?

Jeez, I loved SCUBA diving, but my pulmonary doc says no more..... due to the COPD :banghead: (don't ya love how we now call it COPD - the "old" name was EMPHYSEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but COPD sounds "nicer".) I miss SCUBA diving, and am jealous that Panini does it so often!

Yes, it was the thing in life I loved the most - bar none. Seriously....

I had a heart attack at 39 and just 2 weeks ago a series of pinstrokes. I am trying like the dickens to quit now. I am all of 42 years old. I wish I could just drop them and never pick them up. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.
I am concerned now that I may not have full clearance to do some of the things I love. We are are going to Disney in 36 days. I had planned on my 100th Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain rides. Unless I get a clear MRI and MRA ,no go on Space Mountain.
Learn from my bad example please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member