Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
He worked alone when he assaulted the Fairfax woman. No reason to think he would change to a group affair. He might not even have been planning an attack until Morgan fell into his lap that night as a perfect victim.

Wasn't the Fairfax case some 5 years ago?

He did not wait 5 years to attack again?
There must be other cases that COULD be connected to him during that time?

What is his connection to Anchorage Farm?
He must be very comfortable there. Think of how much time and difficulty it took for him to leave her in that particular spot?

.....and if he knew that area that well, people in that area must know HIM pretty well, right?

SO WHY-- SO LONG TO FIND HIM???

I could see if that area had a predominantly black demographic, does it??
....and if not then that limits the pool of suspects considerably?:banghead:

AF is an interesting conundrum. It could be someplace he's familiar with, or someplace he scoped out in advance (some serial killers do that), or it could just have been the first big, dark farm he passed driving down 29 away from Copeley Rd bridge, so he took a right on Red Hill Rd, drove her back by the pond to attack her, then maybe left her in the field just over the fence line. Perhaps she was alive and walked or ran or crawled to that little field, until she ran into the fence and could go no farther. Perhaps she made it partway there and animals dragged her the rest of the way. Maybe she got away from him at the pond and ran into the field and he chased her until she was cornered in the little field between the fence and the creek.

Hard to say whether he attacked anyone between 2005 and 2009. Some rapes go unreported.

I am in the minority here, but I think Anchorage Farms was a completely at random location the killer picked.

That area is not so populated that it's possible no one knows who "sketch" is, if he does have ties to it.

Wasn't the Fairfax case some 5 years ago?

He did not wait 5 years to attack again?
There must be other cases that COULD be connected to him during that time?

What is his connection to Anchorage Farm?
He must be very comfortable there. Think of how much time and difficulty it took for him to leave her in that particular spot?

.....and if he knew that area that well, people in that area must know HIM pretty well, right?

SO WHY-- SO LONG TO FIND HIM???

I could see if that area had a predominantly black demographic, does it??
....and if not then that limits the pool of suspects considerably?:banghead:

I'm with you, rossva, on AF possibly being random. I think they put their eggs all in one basket looking for a person who must have ties to North Garden. He might not even have ties to Fairfax.

I'm with you, rossva, on AF possibly being random. I think they put their eggs all in one basket looking for a person who must have ties to North Garden. He might not even have ties to Fairfax.

I happen to agree with you both. It really bothers me they put so much emphasis on that "Farm" as the key piece of evidence to a suspect. Think they lost a lot of ground with that theory, and it can never be made up.

I think like you Rossva, if "sketch" knew that area that well, then that area would have known him, and we would have a name by now.

Update from VSP today:
Since many of you today are covering the 2 nd anniversary of Morgan Harrington’s remains being found in Albemarle County…below is all we have to release at this time in regards to the investigation… The investigation remains active and ongoing at this time. We do still receive tips and leads, and pursue each one. We also continue to encourage anyone with information regarding Morgan’s disappearance and death to please call the Virginia State Police at (434) 352-3467 or email State Police at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov. Also accepting tips is the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at 434-977-4000. A reward of $150,041 is available for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this case. Thanks, Corinne N. Geller Public Relations Director Virginia State Police Office: 804-674-2789...Bberry: 804-263-5547...Email: corinne.geller@vsp.virginia.gov Visit us at vsp.virginia.gov or on Face

I wonder why the Harrington's have never hired a private investigator. Even after a sketch of a possible suspect was released we still know very little. Would seem to me that might be the best way to go for answers, even better than a civil suite.

....and I no longer read Gil's thoughts on Morgan. I found her 2011 Birthday poem for Morgan really strange, but that's just me, maybe I just don't get the whole poetry thing. I thought that one was pretty creepy.

R.U.Kidding, you have to order it by mail from the clerk of the court. It's a brief (pardon the pun) 4 pages that will answer absolutely zero questions. In fact, it doesn't say much more than the pertinent points I noted. That she went to a concert on Oct. 17, that RMC is responsible for security, that she went to the bathroom and somehow injured her chin, and that unknown people reported it to security but they didn't respond. And that she left the arena for reasons currently unclear and tried to get back in, that the guards didn't let her back in nor did they report her injury or her attempts to get back in (report to whom, it doesn't say). And then, as a result, she was left isolated and alone (with a phone and a lot full of people she interacted with, but the suit doesn't say that) and at some point, somewhere, was abducted and murdered (was she?), and that RMC should thus pay $3.5M.

Depending on the circumstances, for security/arena management to ignore a report of an injury to a specifically identified individual could be reasonable grounds for a law suit.

Here is my opinion on Morgan, the "hitch-hiking" sighting and her getting into a car.

As is assumed, Morgan IS a little under the influence of something, be it too much to drink, or some other substance, add in maybe a little confused from the fall (if that in fact did happen), and has just a few minutes ago, had a phone conversation with friends telling them that she couldn’t get back into the arena and that she would find her own way back home.

Morgan then starts walking away from JPJA, ends up on the Copeley Road bridge, sees a car either (completely coincidentally) identical in make and model, or extremely similar to her car coming towards her. Thinking it is her friends coming to rescue her, she willing hops in the car, not realizing till it's too late she has gotten into a car with a complete stranger.

That would explain how she was seen "hitch-hiking", something her parents have said was totally uncharacteristic for her; she was mock hitch-hiking at what she thought was her friends.

I may seem far fetched for such a coincidence, but with everything else that went awry for Morgan that night, who knows?

Or maybe just a vehicle that looks like some other friend's vehicle. Any familiar vehicle.

One of my theories is that she had made an appointment to meet some other group of persons outside the arena that night, maybe at the "241" sign across from the UV lot entrance, but at the last moment had terrible misgivings about the get-together. She tried to make it seem as if she were "with" the athletes, asking them for a ride, and later tried to hitch to avoid this group. The group was watching her, and drove forward over the bridge to pick her up. She entered their vehicle reluctantly but willingly. The lack of robbery of her jewelry or cash might indicate personal motivations.

Depending on the circumstances, for security/arena management to ignore a report of an injury to a specifically identified individual could be reasonable grounds for a law suit.

True, but does this make the venue accountable for her death? They want $3.5M for her death. Well-- I have no idea how civil suits work. I guess there aren't specific "charges" like a criminal suit?

Folks, the lawsuit is not about financial gain or assessing blame. As has been stated by the Harringtons, and others, it is a tool to keep avenues to information open that was about to expire.

These people are not looking to assess blame or gain financially. They want to find the scum that killed their daughter. There are those that may or may not have information that can help solve this case, that may be in a self preservation mode. If the Harringtons let the statute of limitations pass, then they would have zero leverage to compel those that have information to produce that information.

Most would have filed the suit asap. The Harringtons waited til the last minute to file because, as they've stated, they didn't want to do it. They wanted to keep lines of communication open by being diplomatic, with few results.

This suit may produce nothing. Maybe no one has anything they are holding back. But the suit had to be filed before the statute of limitations ran out to be 100% sure that all bases are covered and all avenues to information are exhausted.

These people want the killer(s) of their daughter found, nothing else matters.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/263463

Quote from above link:
Morgan wanted to become a teacher, but Gil Harrington said she doubts that Morgan would have reached children in Zambia.

"In a convoluted way, she will probably do more good in this life than she would have alive," her mother said.

Because MH’s tragic death resulted in a fund to put up a small local third world school, M is doing more good dead than alive?

Perhaps we sentimentalize education too much.

Folks, the lawsuit is not about financial gain or assessing blame. As has been stated by the Harringtons, and others, it is a tool to keep avenues to information open that was about to expire.

These people are not looking to assess blame or gain financially.

Well, I'm not sure about that. Gil gives a few reasons for filing. And would like to put that $3.5M to good use. And they do seem to be blaming RMC events for her death. Contributory negligence will likely mean that they won't see a dime, but if they're just after answers, they won't mind.

Gil: Questions remain about what happened that night, and this is about retaining our ability to ask those questions.

Gil: It's more than just casting about for somebody to blame. But then she says....

Gil: We may never have a criminal trial. This may be our only trial.

Should they receive $3.5 million in damages from RMC Events, Gil Harrington said her family would endow the Morgan Dana Harrington Memorial Scholarship at Virginia Tech’s Carillion School of Medicine, as well as support costs for keeping up HelpSaveTheNextGirl.com and a medical orphanage in Zambia.

“We did not do this lightly,” said Gil Harrington about the lawsuit. “We did it with great trepidation. But I think we can make changes in the world with that funding, and that made it worthwhile.”

The lawsuit alleges that RMC, providing event security that night, should have known that Morgan Harrington had suffered an injury inside the arena and also should have allowed the young woman to return to the concert after she had left the building.

The lawsuit reads, "As a result of the defendant's failure and refusal to allow plaintiff's decedent to re-enter the arena, or report her attempt to do so, plaintiff's decedent was left isolated and alone outside the arena where she was subsequently abducted and murdered."

True, but does this make the venue accountable for her death? They want $3.5M for her death. Well-- I have no idea how civil suits work. I guess there aren't specific "charges" like a criminal suit?

Not sure exactly if any particular group should be held accountable, except the actual killers.

Many factors put MH at risk. Some examples:
1. apparent substance abuse;
2. being a woman alone at night in a public place;
3. possible impairment of judgment due to head injury;
4. suffering from too much stress;
5. possibly associating with some ill-intentioned acquaintances;
6. lack of political identity.

Not sure exactly if any particular group should be held accountable, except the actual killers.

Many factors put MH at risk. Some examples:
1. apparent substance abuse;
2. being a woman alone at night in a public place;
3. possible impairment of judgment due to head injury;
4. suffering from too much stress;
5. possibly associating with some ill-intentioned acquaintances;
6. lack of political identity.

Can you elaborate on #6?

Can you elaborate on #6?

#6 lack of political identity.

Maybe that's not exactly the right phrase, but VTech was on my mind. They take in too many foreign students, and JMO treat Americans as second-class citizens.

#6 lack of political identity.

Maybe that's not exactly the right phrase, but VTech was on my mind. They take in too many foreign students, and JMO treat Americans as second-class citizens.

Ah, or worse -- she was guilty of just being a woman. Perhaps John Lennon was right in his provocatively named song,"Woman is the [N word] of the World." Women are the eternal second class citizen, to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow