GUILTY GA - Angela Ortega, 23, & Natosha Stiles, 20, found murdered, Coffee Co., 12 Feb 2012

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
Breaking News.
By Gianna Caserta

COFFEE COUNTY, GA - Two bodies were found in a pond on Rexford Batten Road in Douglas Saturday night.

The bodies have not been identified but they are both female. GBI is working the case. The bodies are currently in the Coffee County morgue.

http://www.walb.com/story/16916798/bodies-found-in-pond

A shocking discovery Saturday afternoon in Coffee County.

The bodies of two young women were found floating in a pond. Authorities tell us they were both murdered. The question now who killed them and why.

Angela Ortega and Tasha Stiles left their homes Friday evening for a girls night out, but they never made it home.

Now family and friends want answers to why these two fun loving friends were murdered.

20 year old Natosha Stiles cell phone goes straight to voicemail.

Her friends and family have been calling it all night, even though they know she wont answer.

"They threw her away like a bag of garbage I mean come on now," says Missy Stiles, Victim's mother.

Stiles mother last heard from her daughter Friday night. Stiles was out with her friend, and 23 year old Angela Ortega.

"They just went out for a girls night out," says Stiles.

"They were both fun loving people they just wanted to go out and have a good time," says Tara Burchett, Victim's cousin.

But Stiles and Ortega never made it home.

"She text my sister and told my sister that their car broke down," says Stiles.

The girls were told to call a cab for a ride home.

"She text me at 4:30 AM saying momma and that was it," says Stiles.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/16918256/bodies-found-in-pond

Weird disappearance, IMHO.

Ran out of gas. Told to call a cab. Last heard from, IIRCC, 4:30a.m., mom got text that only said, "momma."

Someone(s) came along with NOT good intentions. Either a stranger offering a ride, a cab driver as they were told to call, or a LE officer.

You know, we often believe on some of these country roads we're safe. I know when we lived in Oregon, back in the forest, etc., who would dream there could be someone out for a {thrill}? Or, that people who live out in the country are good folk. Well, they usually are, except, sometimes there's individuals out looking for trouble or not, that get stooooopid things in their head when no one is looking. You don't see it until it's too late. :(

I believe I saw where their car was found 'torched.' Someone is covering up a crime. Fire, water................

This is gonna be a tough one to crack for LE.

I do hope they find whoever they did this, though.
fran

PS...fwiw, this is only 1/2 hour from where Tara Grinstead disappeared from. Her case hasn't been solved since 10/22/05. :(

Weird disappearance, IMHO.

Ran out of gas. Told to call a cab. Last heard from, IIRCC, 4:30a.m., mom got text that only said, "momma."

Someone(s) came along with NOT good intentions. Either a stranger offering a ride, a cab driver as they were told to call, or a LE officer.

You know, we often believe on some of these country roads we're safe. I know when we lived in Oregon, back in the forest, etc., who would dream there could be someone out for a {thrill}? Or, that people who live out in the country are good folk. Well, they usually are, except, sometimes there's individuals out looking for trouble or not, that get stooooopid things in their head when no one is looking. You don't see it until it's too late. :(

I believe I saw where their car was found 'torched.' Someone is covering up a crime. Fire, water................

This is gonna be a tough one to crack for LE.

I do hope they find whoever they did this, though.
fran

PS...fwiw, this is only 1/2 hour from where Tara Grinstead disappeared from. Her case hasn't been solved since 10/22/05. :(

I did think of Tara when I heard about this, Fran.

Yes, I think this is going to be a crime of opportunity,

Whoever picked them up, whether a passerby or a cab driver, they were up to no good. And in a small town most everyone knows everybody making them have a false sense of security.

I tend to think it wasnt a cab driver but someone who just happened to come by and saw they were in vulnerable with no way to go. The perp or perps may have been out late drinking themselves. If I were LE I would check those who live around the crime scene. Both where the car was found and where the bodies were found.

It is so sad how easily two young lives can be snuffed out because evil prowled the road that night.

IMO

I joined websleuths yesterday when I ran across this thread, hoping some good information might come to light. With these two poor girls' murders there are now 4 unsolved murders of women in the Coffee County area since late 2009. I have no idea if any of them could possibly be connected but I sure would like to find out. One problem I have is that to this point I have only been able to find COD for one of the four vicitims.

Slight correction: There are actually 5 unsolved murders of women in the area since late 2009 but one of them occurred during a robbery at a store which to me seemed totally unlike the other 4.

:welcome: ScoopD, glad to have you at Websleuths

As much as we would like to know more, CCSO seems to be in no hurry to release info about this case or any others. LE in many rural Georgia communities rely on GBI to take the lead in murders & they have never been forthcoming about active investigations.

With so many unsolved cases, I certainly understand the uneasiness of locals. I took a look at Douglas Topix & it’s a hot topic there, but of course Topix forums are chat & not fact. I followed Facebook links & learned a little more but that’s not reliable to report here ..... I must add, that after reading that forum I appreciate the decorum at Websleuths even more!

Welcome aboard ScoopD.

Slight correction: There are actually 5 unsolved murders of women in the area since late 2009 but one of them occurred during a robbery at a store which to me seemed totally unlike the other 4.

Welcome, Scoop!:seeya:

Didn't they find a man murdered in Douglas today?

What in the world is going on down there? Do they have a serial killer on the loose, I wonder?

Would you please tell me the circumstances surrounding the other 4 unsolved murders there? Thanks in advance.

IMO

Thanks Oceanblueeyes!

There was another murder in Douglas yesterday and there are actually now well over 20 unsolved homicides in Coffee Co., some dating back to the '70's. Looking at the facts of the cases it's apparent most of them are unrelated and the one yesterday certainly sounded more like gang violence but there do seem to be similarities in the cases of Tina Davis, Rosie Gaskins, Tasha Stiles and Angela Ortega. Davis' story is most bizzare: In Oct. '09 she was an inmate in the Coffee Co. jail and was being transported to another facility by a corrections officer when she managed to escape, apprarently coaxing the officer to let her to go the bank to sign some papers and then managing to escape. Soon after her escape a car belonging to Davis was found abandoned and about three weeks later her body was found in a cotton field. To my knowledge COD has never been released. At least I can't find it. In March '10 Rosie Gaskins' body was found in her car in the nearby town of Willacoochee. She had been shot. She had attended a mud bogging event near Pearson the night before her body was discovered. What little facts we have of the Stiles/Ortega murders are in the original thread above and no COD has been released. Rumors on the Topix forum were that they had been shot in the head but there is no confimation of that. Not knowing COD aside, the common element I see is that all of the women apparently were in their vehicles at the time of their murders in fairly remote locations, with Gaskins' obviously being found in her car.

Douglas murder suspect arrested, person held in women's deaths

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 10:38 AM EST Updated: Feb 21, 2012 11:36 AM EST

Officers of the Douglas Police Department arrested a man this morning, in connection to the murder of 38-year-old Marcus Collins last week.

Collins was found lying in the parking lot of a city community center after neighbors heard gunshots around 12:30 AM Tuesday.

He was shot multiple times while walking to pick up some food. Detectives think he was shot in a nearby neighborhood and ended up near Roundtree Park.

Meanwhile, the GBI says that they have a person of interest in custody in connection with the murders of two young mothers three days before Collins was killed. Investigators stress that the person has not been charged with their deaths at this time.

The bodies of Tasha Stiles and Angela Ortega were found near a pond north of Douglas on February 11th.

We expect more information from investigators soon.

http://www.walb.com/story/16981698/douglas-murder-suspect-arrested

Teen charged with killing 2 Coffee County women
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Teen-c...women/-/475880/8820756/-/10v2mve/-/index.html

"Shieme Brockington, 18, of Douglas, was charged with two counts of kidnapping and two counts of malice murder, along with one count each of carjacking and arson."

LE does not think the murder of Marcus Collins is related.

LE is saying additional arrests may be forthcoming. They also investigated a Jones for recieving stolen property and arson. But they don't explain the link to the story. I am guessing that he had something belonging to the girls?

Is there a gang situation in the area?

From September 2013:

http://www.douglasenterprise.net/articles/2013/09/18/top_stories/doc5239b3a7456a2150595308.txt

The man accused of brutally murdering two Coffee County women last year accepted a plea deal in Coffee County Superior Court on Tuesday afternoon, September 4, which will result in the 19-year old high school dropout spending the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole...

Brockington took Stiles and Ortega to a small pond just outside of Douglas on Rexford Batten Road last year in February where he shot and killed both women with a handgun. DNA evidence also showed that Brockington raped and sodomized one of the women.

Brockington then stole credit cards and the vehicle owned by one of the women, and video evidence revealed Brockington attempted to withdraw money off the stolen cards at a local ATM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back