Godspeed John Glenn: 50 years since first US orbit

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46428980/ns/technology_and_science-space/

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The name still resonates and generates goose bumps like few others in the world of spaceflight.

John Glenn.

Even astronauts — not just the rest of us mere mortals — get mushy talking about Project Mercury's "clean Marine" who led the country's charge into orbit.

As the world's most enduring and endearing spaceman gets set to celebrate what no other living astronaut has done — mark the 50th anniversary of his own spaceflight — he finds himself in overdrive reflecting on what has been an undeniably charmed, golden life.

First American to orbit the Earth, aboard Friendship 7 on Feb. 20, 1962. Oldest person to fly in space, at age 77 aboard shuttle Discovery in 1998. U.S. senator for four terms and one-time presidential candidate. Namesake of a NASA center as well as a university's school of public affairs.

Now 90 and living in Columbus, Ohio, Glenn just recently gave up flying and sold his twin-engine Beechcraft Baron. It was tough hopping up on a wing to climb aboard the plane. Glenn and his wife, Annie, who turns 92 on Friday, both had knee replacements last year.

"We decided it was time to pack it in," Glenn said.

More at link with pictures and videos....

The capsule in which John Glenn circled the earth. (Smithsonian National Museum of Air and Space)

I've seen some of these early capsules during a visit to the Air and Space Museum long ago. They're incredible. They don't look much more technical, from the outside, than, say, your metal trash can you keep in the alley. Larger, true, but the idea that men were allowing themselves to be launched in so seemingly rudimentary devices like that - brave? You bet those men were brave. I gained a huge amount of respect for their bravery the day I visited the museum. Good grief. Brave!

An excellent, picture-filled Daily Mail account here, with a great video of that first flight.

'It seems like only a few weeks ago': John Glenn fever grips America
as nation remembers historic first flight around the globe 50 years ago

John Glenn fever gripped Cape Canaveral on Friday, just as it did half a century ago when America was on the verge of launching its first man into orbit.

Hundreds of NASA workers jammed a space center auditorium, three days before the 50th anniversary of Glenn's historic flight, to see and hear the first American to circle the Earth. Then journalists got a crack at Glenn, ever patient at describing his momentous flight aboard Friendship 7 and the decades since.

The 90-year-old Glenn was joined at both events by Scott Carpenter, 86, the only other survivor of the original Mercury 7 astronauts, as the weekend of anniversary festivities began.
---
It's been 50 years now, but whenever I think of John Glenn's name, it's always accompanied by the term "godspeed."
Glenn said he recollects the flight so often it seems like it took place just a couple weeks ago. He and Carpenter visited their old launch pad, Complex 14; it was from the blockhouse there that Carpenter called out 'Godspeed John Glenn' before the rocket ignited.

The national attention then was 'almost unbelievable,' Glenn said, adding that he and his colleagues learned to live with the acclaim 'or tried to anyway.'
---
much more at link above

wfg wrote
"It's been 50 years now, but whenever I think of John Glenn's name, it's always accompanied by the term "godspeed."

I was at the 98 launch & the coolest thing (other than the actual blast off) was a sky-writing of "Godspeed John Glenn".

I love JG, hasn't he had an incredible career?

I was at the 98 launch & the coolest thing (other than the actual blast off) was a sky-writing of "Godspeed John Glenn".

I love JG, hasn't he had an incredible career?

What an incredible man..

It must have been a great time to be there noZme.

I adore this man too.

Goz

The capsule in which John Glenn circled the earth. (Smithsonian National Museum of Air and Space)

I've seen some of these early capsules during a visit to the Air and Space Museum long ago. They're incredible. They don't look much more technical, from the outside, than, say, your metal trash can you keep in the alley. Larger, true, but the idea that men were allowing themselves to be launched in so seemingly rudimentary devices like that - brave? You bet those men were brave. I gained a huge amount of respect for their bravery the day I visited the museum. Good grief. Brave!

I could not agree more. We went to the NASA museum a few years ago, and to actually see some of them up close was amazing.

Thanks for sharing that article, My Tee-it was beautiful ! I remember that historic day in 1962-was in school, and we were all so excited. What a beautiful life they have to share-simple, loving people, one who circled the globe in a rocket, and the mate who waited for him to return. They are both heroes.

Pat S

I met him at a fundraising event several years ago. It was such a great honor to chat with him a while, he's sort of like a bit of living history. He's a very kind, friendly and down to earth person. I talked to him about flying jets, which was a big part of his early career. He took me over to the window of the high rise hotel and pointed out his own private plane (a tan colored, twin engine prop plane) at the nearby airport. I'm not sure if he still flies, but he did so regularly for most of his life.

He also looked incredibly healthy and in great physical condition for someone his age. Congrats to him and Annie on his 50th Anniversary.

Glenn chats with space station to mark anniversary

.............The astronaut and senator from Ohio became the first American to orbit the Earth on Feb. 20, 1962. He marked the anniversary Monday at Ohio State University by kicking off a forum about NASA's future.

He sat on stage with NASA administrator Charles Bolden and chatted with three space station crew members about research in space and NASA's future. Commander Don Burbank appeared by video link, flanked by two flight engineers floating in the zero-gravity environment.

Burbank said Glenn's momentous flight paved the way for ongoing work on the space station. He said the crew was delighted to help commemorate that trip.

More at link....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back