FBI could take down Internet for millions on March 8

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-could-down-internet-millions-march-8-181807521.html

The Federal Bureau of Investigation may soon be forced to shut down a number of key Domain Name System (DNS) servers, which would cut Internet access for millions of Web users around the world, reports BetaBeat. The DNS servers were installed by the FBI last year, in an effort to stop the spread of a piece of malware known as DNSCharger Trojan. But the court order that allowed the set up of the replacement servers expires on March 8.
-------

By the time the FBI stepped in, DNSCharger had taken over computers in more than 100 countries, including half-a-million computers in the US alone. To help eradicate the widespread malware, the FBI replaced infected servers with new, clean servers, which gave companies and individuals with infected computers time to clean DNSCharger off their machines.
------

(Links for help)

Companies or other agencies that are unsure whether their systems are infected with DNSCharger can get free assistance here. And private users can find out if they are infected using instructions provided here.

More at link...

I read about this a few nights ago and somehow was linked to an FBI page on how to test if you had been infected or had this on your computer. I don't really remember where I saw it, though. My computer is clean.

I read about this a few nights ago and somehow was linked to an FBI page on how to test if you had been infected or had this on your computer. I don't really remember where I saw it, though. My computer is clean.

Glad your computer checked out OK, LaLaw2000...there are links at the bottom of the article to check for companies and individuals.

I think this is what killed my computers about then...took them to the geeks and they knew at once what it was...cost a bunch to get the laptop and 2 netbooks fixed.

Glad your computer checked out OK, LaLaw2000...there are links at the bottom of the article to check for companies and individuals.

I think this is what killed my computers about then...took them to the geeks and they knew at once what it was...cost a bunch to get the laptop and 2 netbooks fixed.

I too had issues around then. Fortunately I'd purchased an extended warranty. Whatever they did took care of my issues.

I ran the test at the link, and I come back clean.

My laptop is still fried.. I can only get on the internet in safe mode... My DNS numbers in fact do match the infected ones, but it has no help for me as an individual... It is only for those with vetted organizations or companies.. Anyone know what I can do?

My laptop is still fried.. I can only get on the internet in safe mode... My DNS numbers in fact do match the infected ones, but it has no help for me as an individual... It is only for those with vetted organizations or companies.. Anyone know what I can do?

You can try downloading malwarebytes on a memory stick from a different computer then plugging it in and downloading in safe mode to your laptop.

Sounds like much to do about nothing imho. :)
No way the FBI is going to make millions go without internet/ no way.

There are lots of free anti-malware programs out there.

imho

I figure they will try to get an extension but guess we'll find out for sure on 3/8.

I'm all kinds of clean over here. Nice green background on the check up.

Sounds like much to do about nothing imho. :)
No way the FBI is going to make millions go without internet/ no way.

There are lots of free anti-malware programs out there.

imho
I only wish the malware programs fixed this issue.. it doesn't and in fact I learned that the only way to fix this is for my laptop to be absolutely reprogrammed which can only be done with the windows vista installation cd/dvd.. my laptop was a gift and geek squad did the complete set up and for some very angering reason they keep the installation DVD after theysuccessfully initially set up the laptop before it was ever given to me.. and they have no reason nor recourse for what I should do...I've had it two years so warranty is expired..

Therefore the only solution is the vista installation DVD and all malware programs unfortunately are of no assistance with my issue.. I miss my laptop:(

I don't have a start-up disc either, so the only way I ever fix my computer is through these malware programs. You should give them a try. Sometimes these problems seem like they are hardware based when really it is just the trojans messing with your hard drive. I've had malware before that made my fan run all the time! So you never know...

Download Malwarebytes (Free Version) in Safe Mode with Networking and run a full scan - may take a while so be patient. You can run a quick scan first if you like to see if it fixes the problem. Then follow the instructions - you'll have to restart to thoroughly get rid of it.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Lots of us here were having computer trouble about a month ago with the Trojans that mimic Windows, and Malwarebytes can get rid of it.

Then after you get out of Safe Mode, if you don't have an antivirus already, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials - also free. It has real-time protection and will pop up a warning if you come across a bad website.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Run a full scan with that, and at least you'll know your computer is clean of trojans and worms.

http://www.dcwg.org/

Just click on the "detect" button and it will tell you if you are good to go.

Just bumping because monday is possibly a big day for those that have the DNS changer on their computer.

Hundreds of thousands of Internet users may lose their online access on July 9, 2012, and Better Business Bureau is urging all consumers and businesses to run a quick and easy diagnostic test to see if their computers are infected. The FBI's DNS Changer Working Group can detect the malware and explain how to fix infected machines.

Read more: http://www.patriotledger.com/news/x...ss-of-Internet-access-on-Monday#ixzz1znRhwuvU

So why is this being widely publicized now? Why not back when they first learned of it, so people would know to clean their computers. This doesn't give folks much time. Crazy. I'll just sit back and watch. I hope it's exciting.

ETA: Oh wait. I see it was talked about earlier. NVM. I must have been sleeping.

I only wish the malware programs fixed this issue.. it doesn't and in fact I learned that the only way to fix this is for my laptop to be absolutely reprogrammed which can only be done with the windows vista installation cd/dvd.. my laptop was a gift and geek squad did the complete set up and for some very angering reason they keep the installation DVD after theysuccessfully initially set up the laptop before it was ever given to me.. and they have no reason nor recourse for what I should do...I've had it two years so warranty is expired..

Therefore the only solution is the vista installation DVD and all malware programs unfortunately are of no assistance with my issue.. I miss my laptop:(

have you run CCLEANER ?
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

if not, you can install a new operating system like win7 or buy vista and reinstall everything. it would be cheaper than buying a new laptop and well, youd have your laptop back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back