FL - Sneaker riots: crowd for new Nike shoe causes Orlando mall melee

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Police in riot gear break up shoe melee at Florida Mall (sun-sentinel.com)
The launch of an expensive new basketball shoe — timed to Orlando's hosting of the NBA All-Star Game — triggered a huge melee Thursday night at the Florida Mall that was put down by deputies in riot gear.

The wild scene erupted about 9:30 p.m. after hundreds of people packed the mall's parking lot hoping to buy the new shoe at midnight Thursday. As the crowd got bigger and bigger, a large contingent of Orange County Sheriff's Office deputies was on on-hand, braced for problems. Similar shoe releases have caused violence at shoe stores across the country
---
It was not clear whether anyone was hurt or arrested during the incident.
---
much more at link above

The shoe: Nike's $220 Galaxy Foampost

No offense to anyone, but what a stupid world this can be at times...JMO

I agree wfgodot! They are ugly.

And... they glow in the dark! What recourse do the onlookers have, if not to turn off the lights??? :eye::eye:

Okay, but really? I'd like a calculation of how many public servant hours are squandered on this type of marketing? I think the shoe companies should be billed. It's ridiculous. Same with all the other manufacturers that encourage the "camping outside for the latest release" of whatever the product is style of gorilla advertizing. We can't afford this carp right now!

Grrrrrr, our dang infrastructure is crumbling and we're doing crowd control for "swag?" We're not too bright, imo. :cool:

I saw this on the news. I shook my head and then said to myself "and it's shizz like this that makes me ashamed to be american sometimes". :sigh:

And... they glow in the dark! What recourse do the onlookers have, if not to turn off the lights??? :eye::eye:

Okay, but really? I'd like a calculation of how many public servant hours are squandered on this type of marketing? I think the shoe companies should be billed. It's ridiculous. Same with all the other manufacturers that encourage the "camping outside for the latest release" of whatever the product is style of gorilla advertizing. We can't afford this carp right now!

Grrrrrr, our dang infrastructure is crumbling and we're doing crowd control for "swag?" We're not too bright, imo. :cool:

At least if they are going to rob stores and banks glowing, they should be easy to spot...:fence:

Worse yet, I am willing to bet that most of those shoes show up on Ebay this weekend...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back