Killing babies no different from abortion,some "experts" say

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to. Thread will have to be pulled (& rightly so) in 5,4,3,2.....

I remember Billy Graham saying, shortly after abortion became legal, that the Supreme Court decision was a slippery slope. He predicted itwould eventually lead to euthanasia of the very sick and the elderly, and that the livesof newborns would become non-valued in just this way.

I remember Billy Graham saying, shortly after abortion became legal, that the Supreme Court decision was a slippery slope. He predicted itwould eventually lead to euthanasia of the very sick and the elderly, and that the livesof newborns would become non-valued in just this way.

And he was wrong . . . :moo:

And so are these so-called "academics."

Is this an anti-college, anti-intellectual thread? Sorry to wander in here by accident...

What is the point of a thread like this? Be afraid all the time? I'm really tired of being prompted to fear the worst possible outcome of everything with thread titles that make human beings out to be monsters.

The only people I know of who kill the elderly and hate children are these criminals we discuss here on Websleuths. They are not normal people.

:cow: :cow: :cow:

Well....I will say I do support a woman's right to choose and would probably support euthanasia if it were on the table. But the talk in this article is just ABSURD. Stupid even.

Yes and that is exactly where it is going these days. Argument it will save millions of dollars in medical costs.

The article, published in the Journal of Medical Ethics says newborn babies are not “actual persons” and do not have a “moral right to life”. The academics also argue that parents should be able to have their baby killed if it turns out to be disabled when it is born.

WHAT THE HELL! I couldn’t read anymore after that, I know a few disabled people and I think the world word be a much darker place without them. My friends are wonderful and this monster says they should had been allowed to be killed at birth! :banghead:

Sorry this had made me so angry :maddening:

These people are truly evil and don't think for a minute they are not serious. They need to be fought at every turn.

Is this an anti-college, anti-intellectual thread? Sorry to wander in here by accident...

What is the point of a thread like this? Be afraid all the time? I'm really tired of being prompted to fear the worst possible outcome of everything with thread titles that make human beings out to be monsters.

The only people I know of who kill the elderly and hate children are these criminals we discuss here on Websleuths. They are not normal people.

The point is that people are having these conversations and others need to know. Obviously, since this is published in an academic source, it's being taken seriously by at least some otherwise it would never have made the cut.

I think, too, that it should be pointed out that my son has spina bifida so perhaps coming from someone who may have faced pressure to end my "damaged" son's life at birth brings me more into this conversation than others who may look at this as more political than reality. Today, my son has an amazing job, his own medical insurance and is happily married to an amazing woman! He is kind, a warrior in the fight for the protection of animals and would give you the shirt off his back. So, just because a child is not perfect in the eyes of some at birth, does not mean they should be eliminated. And, it's not like it hasn't been an actuality in some cultures in the past and probably still is practiced in some civilizations today. Hiding our heads in the sand when conversations of this type come about is certainly no way to go forward IMO.

To me, actually reading the article, it seemed like yet another attack on abortion rights, written in a dark sort of satirical way.

But that's just me.

To me, actually reading the article, it seemed like yet another attack on abortion rights, written in a dark sort of satirical way.

But that's just me.

Not sure how this is an attack on abortion. From the article:

"They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases” in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing.
Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the child”, they wrote.
“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.”

I read this article, and I don't think it is a 'kill newborn babies' platform. They are pointing out the same criteria used to dehumanize fetuses in order to justify killing them also applies to newborn babies. (in red is my phrasing, because I am pro-life and believe abortion is wrong.)

IMO, this can be viewed two ways. One, if it's okay to kill fetuses, it's okay to kill newborns, and Two, (which is the way I see it) is it's not okay to kill newborns, so it's not okay to kill fetuses.

Not so long ago, similar doctrines were in place dehumanizing entire races of people to justify owning them as slaves, and/or wholesale slaughter of them. Many children in this country were put on the auction block and sold, but how many of them were children of slave owners? At the end of the day, no matter how many criteria were met, or how many justifications were in place, they were still all children, all the same.

What's scary is the fact that our lives and those of our children are being taken more and more by our government. Where will it end? Like I said above, this type of treatment is already happening in several other countries and I don't want to see these policies adopted here:

"Doctors left a premature baby to die because he was born two days too early, his devastated mother claimed yesterday.

Sarah Capewell begged them to save her tiny son, who was born just 21 weeks and five days into her pregnancy - almost four months early.
They ignored her pleas and allegedly told her they were following national guidelines that babies born before 22 weeks should not be given medical treatment.

Miss Capewell, 23, said doctors refused to even see her son Jayden, who lived for almost two hours without any medical support.
She said he was breathing unaided, had a strong heartbeat and was even moving his arms and legs, but medics refused to admit him to a special care baby unit.

Miss Capewell is now fighting for a review of the medical guidelines."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211950/Premature-baby-left-die-doctors-mother-gives-birth-just-days-22-week-care-limit.html

I read this article, and I don't think it is a 'kill newborn babies' platform. They are pointing out the same criteria used to dehumanize fetuses in order to justify killing them also applies to newborn babies. (in red is my phrasing, because I am pro-life and believe abortion is wrong.)

IMO, this can be viewed two ways. One, if it's okay to kill fetuses, it's okay to kill newborns, and Two, (which is the way I see it) is it's not okay to kill newborns, so it's not okay to kill fetuses.

Not so long ago, similar doctrines were in place dehumanizing entire races of people to justify owning them as slaves, and/or wholesale slaughter of them. Many children in this country were put on the auction block and sold, but how many of them were children of slave owners? At the end of the day, no matter how many criteria were met, or how many justifications were in place, they were still all children, all the same.

BHO voted for infanticide. It's amazing what some people are willing to justify and the contortions they'll go through to do it.

The link to the actual article published is embedded in the text of the article.

It's a philosophical argument on this subject. I haven't finished reading all of it and to be honest I probably won't have time this weekend. It's only 6 pages long but I'm not up for philosophical debate within my own head and that's the beauty of philosphical debate---I don't have to debate if I don't want to lol. (I'm being sassy today, tired as all get out--not sassy towards members of WS---sassy towards members of media). :)

So whenever a headline *seems* to be a bit inflammatory I try to go to the source of what they are writing about.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full.pdf+html

link above is the actual article the reporter is reporting on.

Meh.

what is viable really? Babies can't take care of themselves. That's always puzzled me. That and the fact that science will call "life" on other planets when they find a mere bacteria, but a fetus isn't a life. It's all so confusing when you try to draw the lines to fit what you would like the outcome to be.

Why, yes, haven't you heard? Being educated makes one skeery now, and automatically makes one's motives and morals suspect. People are becoming godless and evil as evidenced by all the "infanticide" don'tcha know. Bloodlust is running rampant on the part of intellectuals everywhere, but in particular on the part of those who have infitrated government at the highest levels. As always,
I'm incredulous when people don't see the absurdity of believing they are living their lives within one vast conspiracy theory. Some would do well to direct their attentions to Syria or Rwanda if they need to see an example of "evil", autocratic and corrupt governments. Yes, threads like these and publicity garnered from the results of ethical debates are frequently used to foment fear and spread propoganda. I' m much more concerned about a society which claims to value life in all it's forms and stages and yet elects politicians who do everything in their power to refuse to assist and protect them once born, or help to ease their suffering and die in peace when they so desire. That's cruel and inhumane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back