Guilty of first degree murder/verdict watch #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to the PT and the jury. Justice was served today in NC. Finally.

Tar8600, I am thinking about you and your coworkers, friends, others who knew JY back in the day. I will be interested in hearing their thoughts--especially if any were NG folks, what their thoughts are on the verdict. So fill us in as you can since you are a local there.
And let me say, I am so happy you joined us here and spent time with us sharing your first hand knowledge about various issues in this case. Thank you!

Good, the sooner the better.

RC!

It is so good to see you here. I knew you were keeping up to date since you had followed the case from the very beginning, but I sure missed seeing your little race car!

I know that nothing will ever assuage the pain of the loss of Michelle for Linda, Meredith and poor little Cassie, a tiny girl who will never know the warmth of her mother's embrace; what it would have been like to play with Rylan, and look out for him as his big sister. Now she will never have a blood relative until she one day has her own children. But I hope and pray that this justice can in some small way bring them all even the tiniest sliver of peace. I will continue to pray for them because they will never get over this loss. Especially little Cassie who was robbed of a life by a selfish, despicable individual. I think it is beyond disgusting for anyone to opine that Linda somehow benefitted from this since she received some money from the estate. I think Linda Fisher would give every cent and move heaven and earth to be able to hold her daughter again. No parent should have to see their baby daughter brutalized and degraded and broken the way her daughter was. I can't even imagine how one would be able to face the world, having seen the little girl you carried beaten to a bloody pulp, jaw bone protruding from her face, teeth knocked clean out of her mouth. My prayers tonight are for the Fishers. May you find peace. Michelle is holding her son, looking down on you always.

May god bless you for this lovely post also!! It sure did bring tears to my eyes!!

The one thing that I am bothered with is that the jury will not speak about their decision. I think, that if you come to a verdict, be it guilty or innocent, then you should be able to stand behind your verdict and state why you voted a certain way. I'm not arguing that the jurors should be questioned, or mocked, or revered for their decision, but I think, in exchange for locking someone away for life (or letting someone free), they should be willing to divulge why they reached the decision they did.

I understand our system is not built this way, but I do think it is a flaw. I know there are many on here, who would have voted Guilty, and would have been able to state proudly why they did so. I would like to hear from the jury the reasons why they have sent a man away for life. Don't get me wrong, I think he is guilty, but it is a hard burden the jurors have, the power to decide this man's life. In exchange for that burden and that power, I think they should be willing to tell the world why.

On a separate note, someone asked in the old thread if there is any reversible error. I don't think Stephens is the type of Judge to leave much room for an overturn on appeal. I think that his most susceptible decisions would have been allowing in the evidence of CY's doll play, and the information on the wrongful death suit. I don't know that it will reach the level of reversible error, since I don't personally think either of those tipped the scales in favor of guilty (other things did that, would be my belief). So, these may be ruled "error", but I'm not sure they will be reversible if they are even error.

RC!

It is so good to see you here. I knew you were keeping up to date since you had followed the case from the very beginning, but I sure missed seeing your little race car!

Me too! I have missed RC and his tributes to Danica! And even Samiya popped in! It is now full circle for those who have been following since the beginning!

May god bless you for this lovely post also!! It sure did bring tears to my eyes!!

Aw lucky :blowkiss: don't make me cry again! I need all the blessings I can get. Thank you!

RC!

Little race car ran out of petro but don't need the petro at the moment with this most excellent news - riding on air ! Thanks North Carolina residents for having sense and a sense of honor. :)

Me too! I have missed RC and his tributes to Danica! And even Samiya popped in! It is now full circle for those who have been following since the beginning!

Long overdue Mama-cita, long overdue. Almost 6 years of waiting for Jason Young to be headed where he should have been headed long ago. A most excellent day. :)

Didn't we used to call these :cupcake: thwart cakes? In another trial that didn't have such a happy ending. Well JLY "perfect murder" has been thwarted. So the thwart cakes are on me tonight. We have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, pecan, whatever you fancy. Thwart cakes all around!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

The one thing that I am bothered with is that the jury will not speak about their decision. I think, that if you come to a verdict, be it guilty or innocent, then you should be able to stand behind your verdict and state why you voted a certain way. I'm not arguing that the jurors should be questioned, or mocked, or revered for their decision, but I think, in exchange for locking someone away for life (or letting someone free), they should be willing to divulge why they reached the decision they did.

I understand our system is not built this way, but I do think it is a flaw. I know there are many on here, who would have voted Guilty, and would have been able to state proudly why they did so. I would like to hear from the jury the reasons why they have sent a man away for life. Don't get me wrong, I think he is guilty, but it is a hard burden the jurors have, the power to decide this man's life. In exchange for that burden and that power, I think they should be willing to tell the world why.

On a separate note, someone asked in the old thread if there is any reversible error. I don't think Stephens is the type of Judge to leave much room for an overturn on appeal. I think that his most susceptible decisions would have been allowing in the evidence of CY's doll play, and the information on the wrongful death suit. I don't know that it will reach the level of reversible error, since I don't personally think either of those tipped the scales in favor of guilty (other things did that, would be my belief). So, these may be ruled "error", but I'm not sure they will be reversible if they are even error.

Someone on HLN mentioned the charges. I was in the middle of making dinner so didn't catch the entire discussion but something about the Judge allowing the jurors to go for 2nd degree and the addition of "in concert". They felt that may be an issue but then conceded that the Judge has the right to make that decision.

Does the Young family have any contact with Cassidy? Visits? Please tell me no....

I understand the jury decision not to speak but like many , I would love to know how they reached to their decision. Maybe they will need some time and will make an appearance one day. I see this case and trial on Dateline or 48 hours in the not too distant future or maybe even ID channel.

I am so pleased with this verdict! I didn't follow the first trial but the circumstantial evidence in this trial was overwhelming, IMO. I am glad the jury was smart enough to see thru JY's lies.

wm

Respectfully BBM

IMO, it's not a flaw at all. Their duty is done. They didn't ask to be on the jury, it was the hand they were given, doing their civic duty. Maybe the jury will be willing to speak about their verdict, but I will not think less of them if they choose to go about their lives and remain private. I would think this way even if the jury had returned a verdict of NG. They should not, in an way, shape, or form, be made to open themselves for public scrutiny.

Again, JMO

Didn't we used to call these :cupcake: thwart cakes? In another trial that didn't have such a happy ending. Well JLY "perfect murder" has been thwarted. So the thwart cakes are on me tonight. We have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, pecan, whatever you fancy. Thwart cakes all around!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Delicious!!!! Thanks, mama cita!

I disagree. They owe no one an explanation. Their decision speaks for itself.
I'm sure they are worn out after devoting 4 weeks of their lives for the likes of this defendant. They made the right call. Justice was served. It took almost 6 years but it happened.

Wolfpack (or any other local lawyers if you are here and know the answer to this) - is it customary for the jury to still be in the jury box after the verdict and hear the judge listen to the DT motion to throw out the verdict and subsequent judge ruling?

I'm glad the jury got to do this but I don't see that happening in other states. I suppose it could be the timing of the sentencing happening right after the verdict with there being no presentencing hearing, etc. but he could have also excused the jury first, then moved on to the other mattes of sentencing.

TIA

Someone on HLN mentioned the charges. I was in the middle of making dinner so didn't catch the entire discussion but something about the Judge allowing the jurors to go for 2nd degree and the addition of "in concert". They felt that may be an issue but then conceded that the Judge has the right to make that decision.

I agree. *If* the jury had chosen 2nd, I could see it being a point, but as they did not choose 2nd, it clearly had no impact, which is what would make it reversible.

Wolfpack (or any other local lawyers if you are here and know the answer to this) - is it customary for the jury to still be in the jury box after the verdict and hear the judge listen to the DT motion to throw out the verdict and subsequent judge ruling?

I'm glad the jury got to do this but I don't see that happening in other states. I suppose it could be the timing of the sentencing happening right after the verdict with there being no presentencing hearing, etc. but he could have also excused the jury first, then moved on to the other mattes of sentencing.

TIA

I would say it happens just as often as they choose to leave. I think it shows great honor that they want to stay through the end. They clearly believe in their verdict, and understand the consequences. I have a lot of respect that they didn't shy away from what their verdict imposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998