Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the circumstances, for security/arena management to ignore a report of an injury to a specifically identified individual could be reasonable grounds for a law suit.

She had a cut on her chin, was wasted and refused help. They would have to hold concerts in hospitals if this was cause for alarm.

Folks, the lawsuit is not about financial gain or assessing blame. As has been stated by the Harringtons, and others, it is a tool to keep avenues to information open that was about to expire.

These people are not looking to assess blame or gain financially. They want to find the scum that killed their daughter.

Of course its about money and laying blame on someone. If they wanted to keep avenues of information open they should have told the truth about what they knew that night and perhaps it might have triggered a memory in someone that could have provided info vital information.

Morgan had been to concerts before and knew the re-entry policy. She also had to know if you're going to party you don't leave the venue and your friends and go wandering in isolated areas by yourself. One friend might be stupid enough not to be concerned that she was wandering around outside and couldn't be reached by phone. But all 3 of her friends not panicking — no way. IMO the Harringtons are in denial and this wasn't unusual behavior for Morgan or they would be suing her close friends who abandoned her that night.

There is too much background stuff that doesn't make sense and I say that only because the Harringtons hired a PR firm and answer questions with carefully chosen words. I cannot get past her mother writing this bizarre poetry talking about her daughter being raped and her bones shattered and running her fingers thru her empty eye sockets....but the cause of death won't be released "out of respect for the family".

How Morgan died is important if they want help finding answers. If there's a nut running around with a chainsaw that might get someone questioning similar interests of someone they know and calling that in to the PD. (Sorry for the extreme example). Gil claims Morgan was raped and savagely beaten but the cause of death is a secret? What?

I admire them for taking a stand on women's safety but do not respect for them for not dealing with the whole issue (IMO). I think its possible Morgan did OD and was hanging out with people and either wandered off or her body was left there. Homicide would cover ending up dead in a field miles away from where you were last seen whether someone panicked that you died or someone purposely attacked and killed you.

And I mean no disrespect to Morgan. I think she was young, vivacious, intelligent and interested in art and music and the culture around it. Partying is a common aspect. But when better to rebel but while temporarily away from home and you can fall back on your parents for support and help.

Now get your rocks ready....
I hope the Harringtons can be proud of Morgan for who she was...good and bad, and not feel the need to sanitize her as if she were striving for sainthood. Well-to-do white influential families do actually have kids who experiment with drugs and alcohol and it would be a great thing to break the stereotype of hiding the bad stuff. Alcohol (and likely drugs) were the catalyst that started this tragic evening in motion. I hope they can reach out to those other influential wealthy families who likely are going thru the same stuff with their kids. You may not change kids partying but you will leave an impression of what horrible things can happen and the trouble you can get into because kids party to be happy and forget to think safely. And that extends to the friends around you who may be forced at some point to drag you away from a situation that they sense is unsafe. You always need the designated thinker.

now for my tirade./
I wish the Harringtons would just go away and mourn quietly and unpublically (My preference). But if they cant do that then please step up to the plate and open your heart to fully help others. I think this would be something Morgan would teach. The most horrible think that will happen to you (Gil and Dan) is that people will see you as human and less than perfect (perfect does not exist) but as people who are reachable to others the same your situation. Educate and be compassionate to others as Morgans passing has taught to to feel and and relate to others so they will not see this tragic fate. / end of rant

This is all my opinion based on my life experience (not heading towards sainthood) and how i have (amazingly) lived through it all. I see signs in Morgans life of trying to keep her off those questionable paths. Maybe Morgans life was meant to teach others these basic safety concepts for yourself and among your friends.

All my friends in Charlottesville say: Thank god, where've you been Clarabelle!? Finally some frank speaking. They hope you'll get your message out more broadly where it can be heard.

This is an open case and nobody here knows what really happenned that night. Nobody knows what information the Harringtons are privy too and what they are not. Their actions--that a few find to be weird or inappropriate--might be easily explained by facts that are unknown here.

Morgan's mothers poetry reflects her grieving process and why anyone would judge is beyond me. Her parents have lost their baby girl in a horrific manner and less self righteous indignation about their actions would be nice.

Her poetry is part of her grieving process. She chooses to do it publicly, which must mean she wants or welcomes reactions or at least is game for them, or else she'd do it privately. And all reactions are valid. It's all good.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but -- the image of the perpetrator from the 2005 attack is hard to define -- wondering if perp is from El Savador or another area where ethnic mix is often found. Thinking that the perp may be an illegal whose fingerprints were not digitally made and put into the "system." Apparently there were a number of illegals who committed crimes, had their prints manually done, but the prints were never digitized. So when a future crime was committed, and a print check was done, no history would be found. Other thoughts -- if this individual was in Fairfax in 2005, and then in Charlottesville in 2010 -- a couple things come to mind. Was he working in the landscaping/construction business ... and/or ... dealing drugs. George Mason University is very close to the 2005 attack, and of course UVA is in Charlottesville. Is the perpetrator someone who travels around dealing drugs as part of a larger group (gang?). Forgive me if all of this has been mentioned. As ICE continues to ensure manual prints are put into its database, it will be interesting to see if a match pops up. Frank Wolf, congressman in VA, requested extra funds for just this purpose.

Could be, Phantom. The place where the first victim was attacked is not that close to George Mason, but it's not tremendously far. But...not tremendously close, either. I can see drugs being involved in Morgan's case moreso than with the first victim, though. Not sure what to make of the looks of the fellow in the sketch; more than likely it's just a weird likeness. If you look at other police sketches, many are kind of odd or improbable looking. So far I don't see any reason to think he's anything other than a regular ol' black dude, but he could be more exotic I suppose.

All my friends in Charlottesville say: Thank god, where've you been Clarabelle!? Finally some frank speaking. They hope you'll get your message out more broadly where it can be heard.

I honestly thought I was the ONLY person here who felt this way. Alot of things about this case have bothered me for a very long time and this law suit was the last straw.

soothsayer: I am actually surprised my comment is still here. Alot of comments in alot of places have magically disappeared.

. Well-to-do white influential families do actually have kids who experiment with drugs and alcohol and it would be a great thing to break the stereotype of hiding the bad stuff. Alcohol (and likely drugs) were the catalyst that started this tragic evening in motion. I hope they can reach out to those other influential wealthy families who likely are going thru the same stuff with their kids.

But if she were a well to DO Black entertainer or their family member we should just shut up and cover up ALL the drugs so they are blameless and oh so special.. Got cha on that. We see this trend often with black celebrities.

But if she were a well to DO Black entertainer or their family member we should just shut up and cover up ALL the drugs so they are blameless and oh so special.. Got cha on that. We see this trend often with black celebrities.

Huh? I am not exactly sure what you mean. Who is blameless and special?

My point was that drug use is often unexpected and frequently overlooked by society in certain classes/groups. Used Morgan and her (white) family as the example since its Morgan's forum. You can change the race and still have that "perfect" family. BUT if you toss in the entertainment biz where its perceived there's alot of drug and alcohol use then you drop the respectability factor down a few notches. Throw in charity work and you're back at the top of the chart.

I dont really care about any famous person's drug habits unless it causes harm to others. Families need to deal with their own issues in that respect.

Clarabelle, others definitely share your sentiments. It's tricky to express them because there's often the knee jerk reaction we saw even here -- "Hey! Quit hating on the Harringtons!" or "Quit blaming the victim!" or "Gil has every right to do whatever she wants to -- she's mourning." I get that. But I also get how some in cville could see them as carpetbaggers, and tire of the accusations that cvillians are hiding a killer, or have an incompetent police force, or that UVA is covering it all up. I know she was found in a really offbeat location that screams familiarity with the area -- but I also know there could be some other random explanation for how she ended up there that doesn't mean it was a familiar spot to the perp.

I just want to post because I have followed this case from the beginning and I still think about the Harringtons and Morgan very often. I keep hoping for a resolution and justice. I just wish the Harringtons could know that there are a lot of people they will never know, who think of them so often and pray for them. I feel their loss.

I have not posted on Websleuths in a while but have been a member for a long time, and just as an FYI so people will know where I am coming from--I'm a divorced mother of two daughters who are 4 and 7. I'm in North Carolina, and mainly, I just know my fears in raising my daughters and the fear of ever losing either of them. My heart breaks as a mother each time I think of Gil especially. I pray so often for justice for Morgan, my own daughters will be very similar to her one day. I will always think of Morgan. Sending prayers to the Harringtons and praying for this case to be solved. :(

Thank you Hermione! :heart: That was a sweet post!

The Harringtons are awesome people. Morgan was blessed to have them as parents! I too think of them often and pray for justice. I'm also afraid that the person who killed Morgan is out there killing other women.

<snip for brevity> But I also get how some in cville could see them as carpetbaggers<snip for brevity>.

I honestly don't see how anyone could feel this way. People grieve and also take action for their cause in different ways, not everyone would behave the same, but....they had a daughter who was murdered, and the perp is not caught. Surely no one can begrudge them of the very human need to know who did this and get justice for their daughter. If I was in their position I would be frustrated- NOT blaming, but frustrated with law enforcement, the unfairness of life and loss in general, with the world for being a place where evil exists...I would have to let it out, to voice it, to keep trying for justice for my daughter. I can get the people who would do a lot of things differently...but I cannot get that anyone would not have empathy for this heartbroken family no matter what.

I honestly don't see how anyone could feel this way. People grieve and also take action for their cause in different ways, not everyone would behave the same, but....they had a daughter who was murdered, and the perp is not caught. Surely no one can begrudge them of the very human need to know who did this and get justice for their daughter. If I was in their position I would be frustrated- NOT blaming, but frustrated with law enforcement, the unfairness of life and loss in general, with the world for being a place where evil exists...I would have to let it out, to voice it, to keep trying for justice for my daughter. I can get the people who would do a lot of things differently...but I cannot get that anyone would not have empathy for this heartbroken family no matter what.

I had the same thoughts regarding calling them carpetbaggers. Personally, I find that term offensive.
I don't believe that they are meddling in any affairs where they do not belong. They sure do belong right in the middle of this tragedy! They didn't choose for this to happen to their daughter.
They are terrible victims and I hope that one day the perp will be caught and given a just sentence.

Thank you Hermione! :heart: That was a sweet post!

The Harringtons are awesome people. Morgan was blessed to have them as parents! I too think of them often and pray for justice. I'm also afraid that the person who killed Morgan is out there killing other women.

Holly Bobo?
10 hours away, same general description, plus an out of the way location.
I don't see her mentioned in this thread anywhere, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The most successful serial killers often move around the country.... :twocents:

And there, MsFacetious may be the reason this man has not yet been caught. He could be someone who moves around quite a bit and is not really known by many and/or does not come into contact with people who would even know about this murder. He may be able to change his appearance, as well, and probably does quite often <---- which men are capable of doing easily - such as mustache, mustache/goatee, goatee or none of those...or sideburns...full beard...shaved head, short or longer hair. Just even gaining or losing a few pounds or wearing different glasses/sunglasses/hats.

This guy hasn't been caught since his first attack...and hasn't been caught since Morgan... I pray there is no more of his victims out there, but that's probably wishful thinking. I just wish LE would hurry up and catch this guy before another suffers the same fate as Morgan.

And there, MsFacetious may be the reason this man has not yet been caught. He could be someone who moves around quite a bit and is not really known by many and/or does not come into contact with people who would even know about this murder. He may be able to change his appearance, as well, and probably does quite often <---- which men are capable of doing easily - such as mustache, mustache/goatee, goatee or none of those...or sideburns...full beard...shaved head, short or longer hair. Just even gaining or losing a few pounds or wearing different glasses/sunglasses/hats.

This guy hasn't been caught since his first attack...and hasn't been caught since Morgan... I pray there is no more of his victims out there, but that's probably wishful thinking. I just wish LE would hurry up and catch this guy before another suffers the same fate as Morgan.

I will always look twice at cases involving young ladies until my cousin's killer is caught. He could still be killing for another 10 years or so.
Morgan's seems like a crime of opportunity, while Holly's seems much more planned.
That tends to imply that Holly's knew her and Morgan's didn't... but it doesn't have to mean that.

It could mean that a stranger saw Morgan and took her... and a stranger saw Holly and became obsessed with her... so planned to take her.
I know they do have different abductions... but it doesn't always mean that they have different abductors... :twocents:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/263463

Quote from above link:

Because MH’s tragic death resulted in a fund to put up a small local third world school, M is doing more good dead than alive?

Perhaps we sentimentalize education too much.

I think I understand what Gil is saying here, and I don't think she meant that Morgan is doing more good dead than alive, like that...had Morgan lived she would have lived a bright life and been a bright spot in the world, and perhaps been a teacher or made a difference to many another way. But through her death she leaves a legacy that reaches further because more people know of her in death, that would have never crossed paths or heard of her in life. It's just the sad thing about death...it reaches far. Her story became public and touched a lot of people, if nothing had happened to her we wouldn't know of her...and Gil is working hard for her death not to be in vain, and is carrying her memory as far as she can.

I have another good example of this, Laci Peterson, she and her mother Sharon Rocha have touched me so much, and if nothing had happened to her, I would never had heard of her, and I think of Sharon and her grief often as well. It's a sad legacy, but if you lose a loved one, they do reach out and touch people in ways that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

My heart really feels for Gil as a mother...and Morgan as a daughter.

Aren't there alot of young, pretty, blondes missing from the south & midwest? Morgan Harrington, Holly Bobo, Lauren Speirer, and a couple more I can't think of, in the last decade?
Does anyone think the FBI might be investigating these cases as the work of a serial killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288