Bahamas - Fariba Amani, 47, missing from cruise ship, 29 Feb 2012

when I cruised you got on and off of the ship by showing a card that was imprinted with your pic and passport number, nobody carried a passport into and out of different countries. This is how the ship kept tabs on all passengers and knew everyone was on board at departure time
We never cleared customs at any port until the night before disembarkment.

I noted above that the report linked said customs says she went through their screening

I doubt very much that the ship would admit to sloppy proceedures when guests are coming and going

But wouldn't customs be honest about that?

They would say she did or she didn't clear customs IMO

when I cruised you got on and off of the ship by showing a card that was imprinted with your pic and passport number, nobody carried a passport into and out of different countries. This is how the ship kept tabs on all passengers and knew everyone was on board at departure time
We never cleared customs at any port until the night before disembarkment.

I noted above that the report linked said customs says she went through their screening

I doubt very much that the ship would admit to sloppy proceedures when guests are coming and going

But wouldn't customs be honest about that?

They would say she did or she didn't clear customs IMO

Which Customs? US or Bahamas or Canada? Sorry, not sure what article you are referring to.

Which Customs? US or Bahamas or Canada? Sorry, not sure what article you are referring to.

Customs officials confirm she was on the ship when it left Freeport, Grand Bahama around 8 p.m. because every passenger must swipe a card to get on or off the ship. But her whereabouts over the next 12 hours as the ship plowed through international waters remain a mystery.

http://gma.yahoo.com/missing-cruise-...-abc-news.html

I don't know if Americans go through US customs or not in the bahamas
It wouldn't be Canadian as she was going from the Bahamas to the US

In re reading the above...
I don't really get that

Are customs assuming she was on board because a card is supposed to be swiped or did they screen her?

In re reading the above...
I don't really get that

Are customs assuming she was on board because a card is supposed to be swiped or did they screen her?

Sounds pretty vague to me too. He could have just swiped both cards on his way back on to the ship?

MOO

The U.S. coast guard and customs officials believe Ms. Amani was on the ship when it left the Bahamas on Feb. 28 because passengers must swipe a card to board the ship.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ts-to-hear-from-her-boyfriend/article2361241/

I don't know
It sounds to me that they customs relies on the ship to screen passengers
I mean, if she went through customs , there would be a record in a computer

IF this is not an accident.. if the boyfriend is responsible (I don't think he has been named a suspect)... or someone else travelling on the ship...

IMHO, it would be far easier to get rid of someone while at sea, rather than in port

I don't know how stringent the security is on this ship
Maybe it is simple to swipe two cards without questions asked
I don't know about that on this ship

I don't know
It sounds to me that they customs relies on the ship to screen passengers
I mean, if she went through customs , there would be a record in a computer

Do the swipe cards not go onto some sort of database, or some computer system..

But then again I suggested that her card may have been swiped by another person, but it should still be on a data base, also if there was a place to install security cameras, one would think that the entrance to the boat would be the place?.jmo

I left Freeport also on the way to Florida the same day this person went missing but I was on a different ship. We had two people in our group fail to get onboard the ship and were left in Freeport. The ship immediately notified our travel agent that these two did not reboard the ship as their cards were never swiped. Fortunately, they were safe and had to charter a flight to meet the ship at the next port.

When entering/exiting the ship I was on, the cruiser did not scan his/her own card. The crew member scanned it and compared your picture on the ship's screen with the individual entering/exiting the ship. There was no way (short of a twin) anyone could pass himself off as someone else. Also, we dd not have to go through customs, etc. until we were back in the US.

I left Freeport also on the way to Florida the same day this person went missing but I was on a different ship. We had two people in our group fail to get onboard the ship and were left in Freeport. The ship immediately notified our travel agent that these two did not reboard the ship as their cards were never swiped. Fortunately, they were safe and had to charter a flight to meet the ship at the next port.

When entering/exiting the ship I was on, the cruiser did not scan his/her own card. The crew member scanned it and compared your picture on the ship's screen with the individual entering/exiting the ship. There was no way (short of a twin) anyone could pass himself off as someone else. Also, we dd not have to go through customs, etc. until we were back in the US.

Thank you for that information Silk, did you notice any cameras at the boarding points on the ship?..

I don't recall cameras on the docks but definetly cameras just inside the entrance to the ship I was on.

I don't recall cameras on the docks but definetly cameras just inside the entrance to the ship I was on.

Bingo!!! then there must be video of her getting back on board..

Like many cases we are not privey to all the information, only what we are fed by the media, but one would think that the investigators would have viewed any footage..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/fariba-amani-girlfriend-missing-from-cruise_n_1332998.html

"You don't know what happened to me over the last week," he told the Vancouver Sun on Tuesday. "I haven't even slept for 10 hours in one week. Last week, at this time, we were sitting and watching a comedy show on the ship. Two hours after this, she was missing.

BBM

So this is interesting. Instead of being so worried about her, he talks about how stressful this is for him.

Also, he slips here, in my opinion. He says that two hours after the comedy show she was missing. Well...he reported her at 8am, not at 1am....hhhmmmmm hinky

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/fariba-amani-girlfriend-missing-from-cruise_n_1332998.html

"You don't know what happened to me over the last week," he told the Vancouver Sun on Tuesday. "I haven't even slept for 10 hours in one week. Last week, at this time, we were sitting and watching a comedy show on the ship. Two hours after this, she was missing.

BBM

So this is interesting. Instead of being so worried about her, he talks about how stressful this is for him.

Also, he slips here, in my opinion. He says that two hours after the comedy show she was missing. Well...he reported her at 8am, not at 1am....hhhmmmmm hinky

Good point
How would he know that?

BBM

Does he say that he was looking for her for 7hrs, where would she have gone for that length of time, at that time in the morning?:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back