Alicia Silverstone Posts How She Feeds Son

essies

"We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
Reaction score
ALICIA SILVERSTONE
I Feed My Baby ...
By Spitting Into His Mouth

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01U6VNkGPN8"]bear eating my mouth - YouTube[/ame]
This is how Alicia Silverstone feeds her 10-month-old son -- chewing up food in her mouth ... then spitting it directly into his ... like a bird.

Alicia posted the video on her blog this weekend, claiming it's her "favorite" way to feed her son Bear Blu (that's his name). Alicia adds, "He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I’m eating."
http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/27/alicia-silverstone-baby-feed-video/#.T3J8wTFulWM

Alright-I have no words!!! This never crossed my mind when I was a young mommy to do this nor did I ever hear any friends talk of doing this! But, I did have a great-aunt that used to do this for her elderly toothless Chihuahua-well, she didn't actually spit it in Trixie's mouth!:floorlaugh:

I just came here to see if this was posted. It's SO disgusting!! And what is the reasoning behind it?? I seriously don't get it.

This is so disgusting!!!! I saw it on TV earlier and I thought I might hurl.

Premastication, has been used throughout all time.
This does not shock me, it is not stupid or cruel. Mum's digestive enzymes in her saliva make the food easier for the baby to digest. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't condemn someone else for doing it.

Baby is happy, what else matters?

Very bad idea to read this thread while eating lunch.:puke:

This does not shock me, it is not stupid or cruel. Mum's digestive enzymes in her saliva make the food easier for the baby to digest. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't condemn someone else for doing it.

Uh, because now we know about germs and disease?

And because you want your child to be socialized at some time in the future and live with other human beings?

And also . . . this may sound obvious, but children can learn to chew up their food once they have teeth. Mommy may just be a little too overinvolved. :cow: JMOO

And I'm sure Alicia Silverstone can afford a blender or baby food grinder, which is what most of us use to make baby food.

I'll admit I had one sister-in-law who used to chew ice then put it into her baby's mouth. It grossed me out then (I was about 12 years old) and it grosses me out now (I'm 51).

I'm glad I'm not her child.

So, birds do it, so it must be natural, Alicia says...

Birds also fly and lay eggs. Is she going to teach her kid to do that, too?

It's not unusual in a lot of cultures, and since they live in the same house, kiss and cuddle, I don't think germs would be that big of an issue. Better than commercial baby food, although personally if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with a food grinder like I did with my kids.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If he were 12, say, then yeah, maybe she's a bit too involved!

When does she plan to "wean" him from this method, I wonder...
And will he go through life obsessed with mouths?

He may not be so happy when he's 15 and sees that video!!! :floorlaugh:

I find this behavior to be "unusual".

It's a bit like (but way more unusual than) people holding a pet treat between their lips for their pet to take it from them.

She says her child will come running across the room when she has food, presumably to get fed in this manner. Which at first, sounds at the very least like a weird perversion of the "Pavlov's dog" stimulation. Yet, in the short video, while sitting within 2 feet of him, she has to keep tapping him on the arm to get his attention, even tho she's holding the bowl of food and chewing it. Maybe he wasn't hungry? ;)

:sigh:

The good part of this story is that (apparently) she hasn't stepped it up (yet) to swallowing her food and then regurgitating it to him.

It's possibly just a misguided publicity stunt.

I already knew about this method of feeding a child.

It's not unusual. When my kids were babies I never leaned over and dropped food into their mouth but before they got molars but were on solids I would give them a bite out of my mouth.

Since she says it's his fav way to eat and not the only way she feeds him, she's probably just a new Mom that is so enchanted by the relationship between Mom and child that she didn't know this would cause a stir.

Back when my kids were little we didn't have a chopper or anything like that. When we were given a blender then I would make their own food sometimes. But if I was sitting there eating and one of the wee one's came over for a bite, I'd chew it and give them a taste.

Doesn't shock me that she does. Doesn't gross me out either. But to each his own. If it grosses someone out then by all means don't feed an infant that way. :)

Lord knows.... Next thing you know, someone's gonna be saying vaginas are too "germy" for babies to be born from.

I just came here to see if this was posted. It's SO disgusting!! And what is the reasoning behind it?? I seriously don't get it.

I don't get it either. I liked Alicia as an actress but after seeing this video I don't think I'll ever be able to watch another one of her movies again without thinking of this. YUCKY!

this thread just made me LOL. To each their own I guess, I just hope when Bear Blu (again LOL) gets a bit older and grammy is eating piece of pie he doesn't run across the room to attack her mouth.

What if in the morning she hasn't brushed her teeth yet and she feeds him his breakfast this way?

I just want to throw up!:what:

It's not unusual in a lot of cultures, and since they live in the same house, kiss and cuddle, I don't think germs would be that big of an issue. Better than commercial baby food, although personally if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with a food grinder like I did with my kids.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If he were 12, say, then yeah, maybe she's a bit too involved!

I already knew about this method of feeding a child.

It's not unusual. When my kids were babies I never leaned over and dropped food into their mouth but before they got molars but were on solids I would give them a bite out of my mouth.

Since she says it's his fav way to eat and not the only way she feeds him, she's probably just a new Mom that is so enchanted by the relationship between Mom and child that she didn't know this would cause a stir.

Back when my kids were little we didn't have a chopper or anything like that. When we were given a blender then I would make their own food sometimes. But if I was sitting there eating and one of the wee one's came over for a bite, I'd chew it and give them a taste.

Doesn't shock me that she does. Doesn't gross me out either. But to each his own. If it grosses someone out then by all means don't feed an infant that way. :)

So glad to see so many free thinking and balanced posters comment about this. Women have been feeding their young this way since the beginning of time. Even older ones are fed pre masticated food in some cultures.

When survival is on the line, people do amaxing things. When there is a CVS on every corner people do not do those same things.

Lord knows.... Next thing you know, someone's gonna be saying vaginas are too "germy" for babies to be born from.

Well, eating and being born - sort of different things.

And I think babies need to learn to feed themselves with their fingers or a spoon. Notice how she pulls the bowl away from him - why do that? She just wants to control the food and the mess. But I believe babies learn coordination from feeding themselves, so what's the point? He'll have to learn it someday.

It's so funny here on WS that whether we are talking about people who are ultra-clean and feed their kids in the sink (like Sky Metawala) or people spitting food into a kid's mouth like a pelican, someone is always here defending the practice as if it is perfectly normal.

I always shared food with my kids and they shared food with each other, but we never spit it into the mouth.

But I guess I'm too conventional and taught my kids to eat at a table with silverware, which is something my family on both sides has been doing for generations. My mother and grandmothers had about 20 children among them and countless grandchildren and never fed anyone that way.

And just for the record, I didn't eat my own placenta either just because people do it in other societies.

Wait till she Alicia tries this in a kindergarten lunch room and the teacher has to have a talk with her. LOL

*runs from thread*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-q3c-hZNQc"]A Pelican feeding its babies.MTS - YouTube[/ame]​

It's 2012 - is there really a reason to feed your child like a bird? We have blenders, mixers, choppers, and what not. It's one thing to give your child a bite of your food, but to chew it up and have them eat out of your mouth (or spit it in their mouth) is another. Yes, sure, women did it ages ago...but why now? They didn't have mixed baby food, blenders, etc. I don't see the point.

But again, to each their own -- I just don't agree with it.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mel

Well alrighty then. I'm don't mean to judge, but that seems GROSS to me! Of course, I was one of those kids who absolutely hated whenever my mom would wipe food off my face with her saliva (containing cigarette smoke and all). I would run for the hills when my mom would come at me with a kleenex wet with her saliva. THANK GOD she didn't fed me like I was a baby bird.

And wait, don't they say human mouths are a very dirty place? Like I said, I hate to judge - but it just doesn't seem natural or very clean. Hope she is has good oral hygiene :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back