AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that this is puzzling.
If, in fact, the card was stolen, and the thief and/or IK figured out the pin number without assistance from the owner of the card (or someone familiar with the pin number), then that makes me think that CC's are not as protected by the bank as I would expect.

Or...it makes me think that there is more to this story..if you know what I mean! :wink:

You crack me up with your typo corrections! I've given up. It's impossible when I'm on my iPhone bc the touchpad is sooo small! I'm
Always typing fir instead of for, yada yada!

Anything illegally charged from a bank issued debit card is 100% FDIC insured up to $100,000. Same goes for debit withdrawals at an ATM done illegally. Difference is that it can take up to 30-45 days, whereas a credit card is different - can be credited back in 24-48 hours.

Which reminds me... when you get out of your car in a parking lot to run into the store, DO NOT use your remote to lock your car. Use the lock button inside on the door panel. Thieves now have a device that can "read" the code and they sit in their vehicle and unlock your car after you walk away, if you use the remote. The device can't do that with the lock button on the door, only if you use the remote.
Also don't hit the remote to unlock your car until you're right there beside it, especially if you're a good ways away from the store or in a parking garage or dark area of the parking lot at night.
Sorry for the OT, but just passing this on.

Omg thank you! That's scary! I actually press my remote to start my car. Can somebody map that code too?

Social Security used to be a lot more laxed then they are now. I had a SS number when i was younger, something traumatic happened and I lost all my ID. I did not have it memorized and when I moved to a different state and they tried to find my original, they did not, so they had me put in for a new number. So I got a new number and new card, so I don't have the same SS number as when I was a kid. This is just to show how different things have become over the years with Identity theft and such.

It would probably be a good idea to get a warrant, because even if KA consented to the search that might not be enough. IK could later say that the shed was totally his so KA really had no right to consent to its search. I'm not sure if that would work but it's a risk the cops would probably rather not take.

It would be great to see the search warrant because they would have to lay out the facts that made them thought there would be evidence in the shed. My guess is the warrant is under seal though.

These days, they always get a warrant if they're looking for evidence in a case like this. A defense lawyer can get that evidence thrown out if it was seized from a home without a warrant, even if the homeowner signed a paper giving them permission. They could change their mind, or say they were forced to sign it.

I don't think many parents wait until their child is 5, though. We got our son's SS card the same year he was born, so we could claim him for that year, since he was born in June. Don't know about a new birth but if the child resides with you for 6 months or more, you can claim them as a dependent.

You're right. When I mentioned something about 5 it was just a guess for some kind of age the govt gives you to obtain SS# for claiming purposes. Then I think - not sure - once a baby reaches a certain stage into older toddler that a SS# is needed for med cards/files. Probably is mute anyway but I'm totally thrown off how IK would have had such a late issued date. Only thing that might make sense to me is if he is Indian, like legally grew up as part of a reservation.

Anybody know? I'm wracking my brain trying to decipher his family tree & exactly where he grew up. Homeschooled?

You're right. When I mentioned something about 5 it was just a guess for some kind of age the govt gives you to obtain SS# for claiming purposes. Then I think - not sure - once a baby reaches a certain stage into older toddler that a SS# is needed for med cards/files. Probably is mute anyway but I'm totally thrown off how IK would have had such a late issued date. Only thing that might make sense to me is if he is Indian, like legally grew up as part of a reservation.

Anybody know? I'm wracking my brain trying to decipher his family tree & exactly where he grew up. Homeschooled?

bbm

My thought is that he was homeschooled in a religious family that was off-the-grid, i.e., self-sufficient farm family or part of a larger faith-based group.

Just my guess-moo etc.

Hello everyone. I live in Anchorage and I have been obsessed with this case. I have daughter's myself and have been reading everything from day one and talking to everyone who is also following it locally. I don't know Samantha or her family but I'm extremely intrigued by this case.

I've tried to read through everything on the case here over the past few weeks and man there is a ton of info. I did read a lot of speculation about being able to throw a body into the Turnagain arm with the bore tide that night and I can tell you as a local that is much more difficult than it sounds. There are hardly any locations where it is straight down to deep water. In fact none that I can think of and I'm all over that area regularly. There are bike trails as well as railroad tracks that run pretty much the full length of the arm. Someone would have to park somewhere, which is VERY difficult other than in pull outs because the road is extremely narrow, and then climb over the guard rails then most likely across railroad tracks and/or paved bike path to get to the water. Even then there are only a handful of spots you could do that and drop something into deep water. There are mud flats that surround most of the inlet. Anyway...just another local's opinion on that tiny element. As others have mentioned it was also a huge snow storm that night so roads were terrible and visibility was terrible. It was full on heavy snowfall most of the night, I think we got like over a foot of snow that night. We have also had record cold temps in December, January and February so things like lakes etc. are frozen solid solid.

Has anyone heard, or discussed and I missed it, anything about people saying her behavior is odd on the video. I know it hasn't been released to the public but like I said this is a small community and I've heard local rumors that she changed her sweatshirt and brushed her hair before leaving with him. I've heard she is seen brushing her hair from a few different people so I'm wondering if that is indeed something based in truth. If that is so she would either be stalling, which I would guess you would be able to tell by shaking scared hands, etc. or something is really up here.

I pray she is found safe and that this was as it seems because man this town will NOT be pretty if it turns out this was all put on by her dad or somethings weird. It will also be terrible if she is found dead although sadly that would be my guess at this point. :(

Anyway wondering if the video showing her changing and brushing hair etc. has been discussed. I know the owners viewed the video before turning it over to police and someone said that's who shared that info. ??? Its seems like another really weird piece of info in this really weird case.

Hopping onto the home schooled suggestion.
The way he was able to build log houses at such an early age makes me think his education was not orthodox. It sounds like he may have been raised in a pretty "free thinking" household...either on a reservation, home schooled, or in a compound? (I am thinking of Utah, and the examples of group homes/lifestyles I have heard about there?)
This may be reaching...but thought it couldn't hurt!
ETA: It looks like Saba beat me to it!

Which reminds me... when you get out of your car in a parking lot to run into the store, DO NOT use your remote to lock your car. Use the lock button inside on the door panel. Thieves now have a device that can "read" the code and they sit in their vehicle and unlock your car after you walk away, if you use the remote. The device can't do that with the lock button on the door, only if you use the remote.
Also don't hit the remote to unlock your car until you're right there beside it, especially if you're a good ways away from the store or in a parking garage or dark area of the parking lot at night.
Sorry for the OT, but just passing this on.

This isn't actually true.
http://snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

If you read the snopes article it states that while technically possible, on modern vehicles with the randomized codes that are unrepeated, it would take a criminal an extensively long time (days or more) and a lot of hacking/techno knowledge to open the vehicle. Therefore, unless it's a vehicle made in the 80s, your car won't be opened via that method just after you walk away from your car.

You crack me up with your typo corrections! I've given up. It's impossible when I'm on my iPhone bc the touchpad is sooo small! I'm
Always typing fir instead of for, yada yada!
Anything illegally charged from a bank issued debit card is 100% FDIC insured up to $100,000. Same goes for debit withdrawals at an ATM done illegally. Difference is that it can take up to 30-45 days, whereas a credit card is different - can be credited back in 24-48 hours.

I call it attention to detail...others might call it OCD!:floorlaugh:

And when I am typing on my iPad, it's a whole different story!:seeya:

Welcome to the forum 503mpco! It's always nice to have a local chime in.

Good info on the tidal bore. Your description is great. As to the storm, do you know if the airport was open the next morning? It's been reported Keyes left on vacation that morning and we've been wondering where he might have gone.

Interesting info about Sam and the video. Any other little tidbits you might have heard are welcome, just make sure to mention it's town gossip. If this rumor is true at all, it would seem she knew the guy to be changing shirts with him there. Curious. And brushing her hair too. If the guy was armed as has been reported, she was sure confident. I wonder if that's why they don't want the tape out.

As you say, it might have been a stall tactic hoping her boyfriend would show up.

Welcome again, nice to have you here.

Thanks gliving. I know I'm late to the party so I'm sure there are things already discussed that I've missed but I appreciate all of the info etc. It is most certainly just a rumor! It has been said you can see her changing her sweatshirt so I don't think like going down to her under garments but changing a sweatshirt over her regular shirt. The whole thing is so so sad I keep looking all over the web for some kind of explanation. I don't personally think she is around here and unharmed because her photo is everywhere and I mean everywhere. I stopped at a gas station in a tiny little town on the way to Denali and her flyer was taped inside the bathroom stall. I think just about everyone local knows about her and many people have fliers in their car windows etc. Even some of the malls and bigger stores that have electronic signs have changed their signs to have her info on them. So you'd be hard pressed to hide her here I think.

I do indeed think the airport was open. We are a hearty town and typically big snow storms don't cause closures. There was school as normal, etc.

The whole thing from day one has seemed very odd. Again I know there are hundreds of posts here so all of this may have been covered but as a local a few things stand out to me are the little things that don't make sense. One of the biggest that I can't get out of my head and figure out what happened was the very first announcement of which direction they were headed in. The hut sits facing the entrance to a big fitness center and although the snow burms were/are huge preventing people from seeing the hut the hut itself has very distinguishable and clear surroundings. Why then did they say they headed off on foot in one direction only to change that like two days later and say they headed in the other direction?? The road is full of big businesses and landmarks etc. so there is absolutely NO way that someone watching that tape wouldn't have had a clear point of reference and a clear idea of which way they headed??? We are good friends with one of our police detectives and have met several others through him and they are not stupid guys. That little piece just seems so odd to me. Did they not want the public to really know because they were worried about evidence?? These are not vague surroundings so for them to completely mislead is odd to me. Maybe nothing but its one of those tiny pieces that makes me go "huh"?

The other little piece of info that bugs me, and again probably hashed a ton here, is why no one put this together until like noon the next day. Has anyone found out what the boyfriend did when he showed up and she wasn't there? Did he just go home and not call the dad or a friend or anything to see why she wasn't there? I realize the coffee shop was locked up so that didn't alarm but neither the dad or the boyfriend communicated with each other etc. Just as a mom tells me that maybe not coming home all night, or taking off without letting anyone know, was not behavior unexpected. Know what I mean? It seems that as it became 2am, 3am, and she wasn't home and wasn't with the boyfriend, etc. They did report that dad blew up her phone with calls all night but then why would the police get the first report from the coffee shop owners who thought something was off and watched the tape? Why wasn't dad on their front steps in the morning? NOT accusing anyone of anything or implying dad knew something or didn't etc. but again mother's instinct tells me that something is off there as well. KWIM? Like maybe she sometimes did just disappear and they assumed she'd be home later that day??

Then the whole armed man thing. At first he was "assumed to be armed because of her reaction". Then he was "an armed man" then he had a gun and then they backed off completely and started saying "possibly armed". So did they see something or not??

The very beginning stuff to me seems more "off" than the ongoing crazy crap. Of course as a community member I do hope this is not what it seems and that she did indeed somehow know him, etc. But then that will suck. There are a TON of rumors about the reward money and I personally didn't donate because it was so unclear what it was going to be used for etc. In my opinion rewards work right away. Two months later it looks like it is becoming a "support" fund and it is rumored that her dad is using it to pay his bills etc. since he can't work through all of this. Not necessarily a bad thing but that's the rumor and discussion on his facebook page by others. He has not said anything about using any of it but others have implied that he should be allowed to use it as he sees fit as a family support fund.

Yes indeed, 503mpco, I KWYM.

This whole business about not releasing the tape because it might taint the jury pool had me wondering if it was because of Sam's actions. My opinion only.

Sounds like you've had this on your mind and need to talk. Have at it! Webslueths welcomes all opinions and at this point I'm glad to have a new perspective to ponder.

hi 503! It's nice to have some new thoughts in here :) I am local some of the time but I've been gone since mid Feb. My friends and family up there tell me that IK is a big topic of discussion since his arrest but the only things they have heard are positive from people who have hired him and say he does a good job. Have you heard any local stories about him or his girlfriend or daughter?

If the hair brushing story is true, that is very suspicious. If I start going down rabbit holes thinking about the possibilities of SK and IK having some sort of relationship or him being obsessed with her or something, I remember that she had only worked there for three weeks which doesn't seem like enough time for that to develop.

Please continue at the new thread. This one will close now.

[ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7747149#post7747149]AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin