Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN Outside the Lines reporting on 4/4/12.....

In a previously unreleased and unread Nov. 8 statement obtained by ESPN’s Outside the Lines, the late Penn State coach Joe Paterno explained in detail the steps he took after learning from former assistant Mike McQueary about Jerry Sandusky’s alleged incident with a young boy in a locker room shower.

As the investigation became public, Paterno abruptly announced that he would hold a press conference during which he was expected to say he would retire at the end of the season. He said the university, essentially, had bigger concerns than his future. But before the press conference could happen, Paterno was ordered to cancel it. On Nov. 9, Paterno was fired, along with university president Graham Spanier.

Joe Paterno was fired by Penn State in November, and died just over two months later. (AP Photo)

In the statement, Paterno reiterated what he’d said in the Grand Jury report.

"Let me begin by offering Sue and my prayers for all of the people impacted by these events. I know it is small comfort given the circumstances. I also understand that there are a lot of questions regarding the events involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. However, because of the status of these ongoing legal matters, I will not speculate or answer questions about the charges or the people involved beyond this brief statement.

"... I know that there are many other questions that people want to ask, but I ask that we all be patient and give the judicial process time to do its deliberate work. Finding the truth is what will benefit the victims most of all, and that is who we should all keep in mind as we deal with this tragedy."

Outside The Lines also reports that the Paterno family and the board are fighting over the $4.5 million payment that remained from Paterno’s last contract, including a $3 million retirement bonus. Also, the family is considering suing the university for wrongful termination.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ess-conference-fired-board-espn-outside-lines

A video of the Courthouse Steps pressers: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/04/05/3152631_a3153000/jerry-sandusky-due-in-court-for.html

Loved the "litany of perversions" line.

IMO Amendola is taking his cues from Jose Baez and playing out the trial in the press instead of in the courtroom just like the prosecutor said. He filed those motions to get the press there, so he could then withdraw them and have a ready-made press audience to spread his word to the jury pool. Jose Baez 101. IMO. It's not going to work though. I hope.

ESPN Outside the Lines reporting on 4/4/12.....

In a previously unreleased and unread Nov. 8 statement obtained by ESPN’s Outside the Lines, the late Penn State coach Joe Paterno explained in detail the steps he took after learning from former assistant Mike McQueary about Jerry Sandusky’s alleged incident with a young boy in a locker room shower.

As the investigation became public, Paterno abruptly announced that he would hold a press conference during which he was expected to say he would retire at the end of the season. He said the university, essentially, had bigger concerns than his future. But before the press conference could happen, Paterno was ordered to cancel it. On Nov. 9, Paterno was fired, along with university president Graham Spanier.

Joe Paterno was fired by Penn State in November, and died just over two months later. (AP Photo)

In the statement, Paterno reiterated what he’d said in the Grand Jury report.

"Let me begin by offering Sue and my prayers for all of the people impacted by these events. I know it is small comfort given the circumstances. I also understand that there are a lot of questions regarding the events involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. However, because of the status of these ongoing legal matters, I will not speculate or answer questions about the charges or the people involved beyond this brief statement.

"... I know that there are many other questions that people want to ask, but I ask that we all be patient and give the judicial process time to do its deliberate work. Finding the truth is what will benefit the victims most of all, and that is who we should all keep in mind as we deal with this tragedy."

Outside The Lines also reports that the Paterno family and the board are fighting over the $4.5 million payment that remained from Paterno’s last contract, including a $3 million retirement bonus. Also, the family is considering suing the university for wrongful termination.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ess-conference-fired-board-espn-outside-lines

The question shouldn't be why was Paterno fired. It should be why was an 85 year old man who was two months from dying the head coach in the first place. There's no way a frail old man would be a head coach at any other major college football program. I'm learning to just chalk up such oddities to Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

The question shouldn't be why was Paterno fired. It should be why was an 85 year old man who was two months from dying the head coach in the first place. There's no way a frail old man would be a head coach at any other major college football program. I'm learning to just chalk up such oddities to Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

Well, first, they didn't know he was dying.

Second, the simple answers are:

1. He wanted to.

2. He raised $$$$$$$$ for the school.

"Outside The Lines also reports that the Paterno family and the board are fighting over the $4.5 million payment that remained from Paterno’s last contract, including a $3 million retirement bonus. Also, the family is considering suing the university for wrongful termination."
Did they fire him in part to avoid giving him the retirement bonus- not that it probably seemed like that much, but they were too mad at him to give it to him? When was that contract signed? Was it five years ago so he hadn't taken the bribe to leave when they thought he would, but still was entitled to the money?
Intersting that Surma, the guy who was fronting for the Board is the head of United Steel. Somebody tougher and more independent than the people Paterno was used to dealing with.

"Outside The Lines also reports that the Paterno family and the board are fighting over the $4.5 million payment that remained from Paterno’s last contract, including a $3 million retirement bonus. Also, the family is considering suing the university for wrongful termination."
Did they fire him in part to avoid giving him the retirement bonus- not that it probably seemed like that much, but they were too mad at him to give it to him? When was that contract signed? Was it five years ago so he hadn't taken the bribe to leave when they thought he would, but still was entitled to the money?
Intersting that Surma, the guy who was fronting for the Board is the head of United Steel. Somebody tougher and more independent than the people Paterno was used to dealing with.

Football coaches are required to hold two press conferences a week: one during mid-week and one directly after a game. Do all those Penn State football fans bashing the board and "One-Term Tommy" really believe it would have been in the best interest of the university for Paterno to be answering questions? I think it was a wise decision to remove Paterno and, IMO, there was nothing malicious about it. The board had no other choice.

I can't answer your financial questions. However, I can say that PSU athletics is big business, so I doubt the board based any of its decisions over a few million dollars. I could be wrong, though.

Football coaches are required to hold two press conferences a week: one during mid-week and one directly after a game. Do all those Penn State football fans bashing the board and "One-Term Tommy" really believe it would have been in the best interest of the university for Paterno to be answering questions? I think it was a wise decision to remove Paterno and, IMO, there was nothing malicious about it. The board had no other choice.

I can't answer your financial questions. However, I can say that PSU athletics is big business, so I doubt the board based any of its decisions over a few million dollars. I could be wrong, though.
I am one of those bashing One-Term Tommy. Some of the anger from the Tommy bashers doesn't stem from Joe Pa’s termination. Mine stems from the very long Grand Jury investigation that was occurring at a snail's pace while Jerry the Perv was molesting boys and looking for more boys. The AG knew enough about child molesters to see Jerry's unusual behaviors as dangerous. I don't know that the BOT and the BOT at TSM were this knowledgeable about child pervs (except for Raykovitz and his wife).

Even though Tommy was the AG and was legally not allowed to leak Grand Jury info, IMO, he had a moral duty to warn others to try to prevent Jerry’s from raping more boys. One-Term Tommy should have found some sneaky way to indirectly threaten Raykovitz and warn the satellite campus football programs’ coordinators/high school coaches that Jerry was a perv. One measure he could have implemented would have been to secretly get Jerry’s name placed on PA Childline.

This action wouldn't completely stop Jerry, a determined preferential child molester, but it would have slowed him because he looked for his latest prey in school programs which are supposed to check Childline for their staff and volunteers' names.

Even though Tommy was the AG and was legally not allowed to leak Grand Jury info, IMO, he had a moral duty to warn others to try to prevent Jerry’s from raping more boys. One-Term Tommy should have found some sneaky way to indirectly threaten Raykovitz and warn the satellite campus football programs’ coordinators/high school coaches that Jerry was a perv. One measure he could have implemented would have been to secretly get Jerry’s name placed on PA Childline.

I think Sandusky was on Childline, before the grand jury leak. He tried for a volunteer at a college in Huntington, and it came up.

First one to make a public statement is Rominger: "It's all about Me."

What triggered the court order? Both defence and prosecution brought up the ongoing Grand Jury. Was this to gag any more leaks about it?

First one to make a public statement is Rominger: "It's all about Me."

What triggered the court order? Both defence and prosecution brought up the ongoing Grand Jury. Was this to gag any more leaks about it?

It was that both attorneys spoke longer after the last hearing than they spent in the hearing.

I think Sandusky was on Childline, before the grand jury leak. He tried for a volunteer at a college in Huntington, and it came up.
Wow. I wonder what year he went on Childline. 1998? 2002?

Good ol' Dr. Raykovitz, the Ph.D. child psychologist, possessed the knowledge that at-risk children (like those served at TSM) are more likely to become prey for pervs. He should have required a Childline check on EVERYONE volunteering at the organization he operated. Hmmmm. I wonder if TSM checked other volunteers, but not Jerry. Maybe Jerry was checked, but it didn't make a difference to those operating and receiving their large paychecks from TSM.

Hello, Sara?????? Please investigate this!

Big story in the CDT: The grand jury is still investigating something.

They said yesterday it was not Sandusky: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/04/06/3153670/attorneys-trade-barbs.html#disqus_thread
What is your guess on what or whom is still under investigation? TIA

Copy of the order linked here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/04/09/3156661/pa-judge-limits-lawyer-comments.html#wgt=rcntnews

It applied to the attorneys and investigators.

I hope this wasn't ordered so that a deal can be quietly worked out for Jerry with the finished details to be slapped upon the residents of PA (who have to live near this &*#$% for 30 more years). Ugh.

We know that the grand jury was looking at several things:

1. Spanier's role.

2. What happened when the case was sent to the DA's Office.

It could either of those.

There have been suggestions that the FBI is looking at payoffs involving Penn State and Second Mile, so that is also a possibility.

I hope this wasn't ordered so that a deal can be quietly worked out for Jerry with the finished details to be slapped upon the residents of PA (who have to live near this &*#$% for 30 more years). Ugh.

So long as Sandusky can do no harm, I wouldn't care.

Even with a plea deal JS would still get some prison time wouldn't he?

IIRC the public lewdness charges have a sentence of 5 years each.

I can't imagine that the state would allow a plea deal without a substantial sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd