E-mails from Susan Powell told of Marriage Struggles

Patty G

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
WEST VALLEY CITY — E-mails sent last year by Susan Powell to friends told of marriage struggles between her and her husband to the point that she seemed to be in fear of him.

Several of her friends, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed to the Deseret News that they had turned over to police e-mails that she sent them in June and July of 2008, the point when all friends agreed the Powells' marriage was at its worst.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Susan-Powell-told-of-marriage-struggles.html

Thank goodness she also left a journal at work talking about what was going on.

fran

What I find disturbing about this case are the similarities to the Nancy Cooper case.

I followed the Nancy Cooper case very closely until they finally arrested her husband. What I find eery here is, it looks to me that Susan started stashing money away and fearing Josh would take the kids from her, just at the time the Nancy Cooper case was developing.

Nancy and her husband were from Canada and Nancy was in the U.S. on her husband's visa, ie green card. She couldn't even hold a job without her own green card. Her husband stole and hid the kids visas (so she couldn't return to Canada), he controlled her spending, her phone use, even only allowed her enough gas to take the kids to school and such. (he followed her to the gas station and only allowed so much gas) She didn't have enough money to buy the weekly food and such and she tried to make money on the side and he hindered that too.

Just like with this case, the Coopers also borrowed from HER parents.

I guess it's just that these scenarios in case after case after case, just reappear and they almost blend together.

JMHO
fran

ps....another thing that bothers me about this case in particular, is Josh included the money Susan's dad leant them, in his bankruptcy. What a punk, IMHO.....fran

Regarding the bankruptcy, if JP used an attorney he/she would have had to list the debt if they were aware of it, even if it is just to a family member or whoever. Otherwise the attorney would face serious issues with the bankruptcy court and/or their bar association. Also JP would have signed the paperwork "under penalty of perjury" and swore that he included everthing. These type of debts are very common in Chapter 7 bankruptcies.

Before disappearance, Susan Powell described family problems in emails to friends

By Associated Press, Published: April 29, 2012

SALT LAKE CITY — Before she disappeared, Susan Powell told friends and co-workers her husband had become moody and controlling, and she feared he could harm her.

The insight into Susan Powell’s family problems were revealed in emails provided to The Salt Lake Tribune, which published them on Sunday.

Nine emails were provided to the newspaper after Susan Powell disappeared in December 2009. But at the request of the provider, the newspaper held back on publishing them until now.

Details at link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...s-to-friends/2012/04/29/gIQADUfcqT_story.html

This is one of those cases that makes my blood boil. Especially now that I know her blood was found in that stain. LE knows there was blood, and he tried to clean it up, they know his alibi was pathetic and ridiculous, that he would take two toddlers camping at midnight in the winter, OR that any mother would ALLOW her husband to wake up her babies and take them out in that weather to 'camp.' Over my dead body is what most mothers would say about that.

And his story that she left him, but had no car, no money, no friends or lovers evident, that she ran off with. And they are supposed to believe she left her two boys, who she loved with all of her heart, with no forwarding address?

Come ON....I still cannot believe they let it go for so long...UUGGHHHHHHH

I guess he won the fight at all costs. . . . . it is so heartbreaking that Susan tried so very hard to make things work and do what she thought was best. I am thrilled to know that members of her church were supportive of whatever decision she made and she knew she had help leaving him. I feel even more strongly that Susan knew she and her children were in danger staying with Josh. Did anyone at WVPD put themselves in her place? Did they consider if this were their sister, friend, aunt, neighbor, etc . . . they would act the same way? Did Utah LE really believe that by covering up and hiding info from Washington authorities would really be in the "best interest in the children"? There was no rhyme or reason to Josh's excuses . . . there was no reason to keep the "toon *advertiser censored*" from being reported to those who could help protect the kids. At what point did the powers that be feel that Josh was an appropriate parent for those two boys? How could Washington possibly make informed decisions about what was best for those children when they had no information about Josh's true sick and twisted mindset? I hope each and every one of Utah LE and Prosecuting Attys lay awake without sleep for an eternity and I hope Susan and the boys haunt their every dream. Furthermore, I hope they are held accountable for each and every time they gave Josh the benefit of the doubt . . . instead of giving that same courtesy to Susan and the children and the Cox's.

This is one of those cases that makes my blood boil. Especially now that I know her blood was found in that stain. LE knows there was blood, and he tried to clean it up, they know his alibi was pathetic and ridiculous, that he would take two toddlers camping at midnight in the winter, OR that any mother would ALLOW her husband to wake up her babies and take them out in that weather to 'camp.' Over my dead body is what most mothers would say about that.

And his story that she left him, but had no car, no money, no friends or lovers evident, that she ran off with. And they are supposed to believe she left her two boys, who she loved with all of her heart, with no forwarding address?

Come ON....I still cannot believe they let it go for so long...UUGGHHHHHHH

I know, I'm still pulling the plaster out from between my teeth when I tried to chew the wall over all this frustration on this case when this jerk should have arrested the same week she vanished -- or shortly thereafter!

Too bad she didn't have the insight of this author. Sounds like good reading for every young woman before she starts dating. (Young men, too!) Fits JP to a T.

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2012/04/jerk_radar_author_shares_advic.html

Thank you for the link gwenabob! I wish I could buy a copy of the book for every young woman I know. It does fit JP to a T. It also fits my ex hubby to a T. I identify with the predicament Susan was in so much. Reading her e-mails makes me so emotional because she was making plans to get away from the monster disguised as her husband. It is not easy to escape a nut...it's like walking a tightrope while planning and getting affairs in order.

Like Susan, I was blessed to have good friends willing to help me out. I also encouraged counseling. After his first visit ex came home and declared the psychiatrist said nothing was wrong with him, it was me who had the flaws! Even his daddy was all up in our business. There are too many similarities to list here. There is no doubt in my mind that Josh would have tried to make her life a living he!! if she left but it sounds like she had a great support system and a great chance of making it. It tears me up that Susan was so close to getting the heck away from Josh when he murdered her. so close.......:'(

RIP Susan, Charlie and Braden.

moo

wm

Just when I think I have heard it ALL with regards to this case...

OMG. WHY, WHY, WHY was all this evidence not enought to arrest JP???

Where are the more recent emails around the time previous to Susan's disappearce? These are going back to a year/year and half before 12/09, and her friends were later saying that Susan commented they were getting along better than when these emails were written. ?? From the emails we learned she was going to start counseling with an outside therapist rather that someone within the church, yet we are not seeing any emails regarding her visits? It's not mentioned..nor JP's reaction. We just have the later talk of the sessions with someone from the church..a year later..thru Tim. Why did that change? What happen? Just....some of this is not clear..and not making sense. :banghead: Also, but doesn't anyone think it's a little out of place for Susan to be so open and frank about her problems on line? I could understand her speaking in confidence with a bff, but to put it on line, including info regarding their "intimacies"....to many ...and JP maybe being able to access her online activities...or worse...someone sending it or telling JP seems a bit reckless. I mean, think about it...how would our husbands feel or what would they think if they found emails like that..that we had written? I think the marriage was definitely over, even if not recognized by Susan because she had lost respect for him. The emails tell us about Susan also at that time, but I want to see the ones from the summer and fall of 2009. What do they say? Wouldn't this be more pertinent? She was discussing of giving him an ultimatum for the spring of 2009...and yet she didn't...but was discussing it again for their anniversary in April of 2010? What happened between these emails just released and her disappearing? A lot can happen in a year or more. ???

If the Trib wants to go back to the beginning....where is their timeline? What can they investigate and find in that last year?

What I find disturbing about this case are the similarities to the Nancy Cooper case.

I followed the Nancy Cooper case very closely until they finally arrested her husband. What I find eery here is, it looks to me that Susan started stashing money away and fearing Josh would take the kids from her, just at the time the Nancy Cooper case was developing.

Nancy and her husband were from Canada and Nancy was in the U.S. on her husband's visa, ie green card. She couldn't even hold a job without her own green card. Her husband stole and hid the kids visas (so she couldn't return to Canada), he controlled her spending, her phone use, even only allowed her enough gas to take the kids to school and such. (he followed her to the gas station and only allowed so much gas) She didn't have enough money to buy the weekly food and such and she tried to make money on the side and he hindered that too.

Just like with this case, the Coopers also borrowed from HER parents.

I guess it's just that these scenarios in case after case after case, just reappear and they almost blend together.

JMHO
fran

ps....another thing that bothers me about this case in particular, is Josh included the money Susan's dad leant them, in his bankruptcy. What a punk, IMHO.....fran

Fran - I followed that case, too. These two cases are very similar in many respects. You're right I suppose, in case after case the thread is the same. It seems for some that finding the way out is so difficult. Then, it's just too late.

imo

Where are the more recent emails around the time previous to Susan's disappearce? These are going back to a year/year and half before 12/09, and her friends were later saying that Susan commented they were getting along better than when these emails were written. ?? From the emails we learned she was going to start counseling with an outside therapist rather that someone within the church, yet we are not seeing any emails regarding her visits? It's not mentioned..nor JP's reaction. We just have the later talk of the sessions with someone from the church..a year later..thru Tim. Why did that change? What happen? Just....some of this is not clear..and not making sense. :banghead: Also, but doesn't anyone think it's a little out of place for Susan to be so open and frank about her problems on line? I could understand her speaking in confidence with a bff, but to put it on line, including info regarding their "intimacies"....to many ...and JP maybe being able to access her online activities...or worse...someone sending it or telling JP seems a bit reckless. I mean, think about it...how would our husbands feel or what would they think if they found emails like that..that we had written? I think the marriage was definitely over, even if not recognized by Susan because she had lost respect for him. The emails tell us about Susan also at that time, but I want to see the ones from the summer and fall of 2009. What do they say? Wouldn't this be more pertinent? She was discussing of giving him an ultimatum for the spring of 2009...and yet she didn't...but was discussing it again for their anniversary in April of 2010? What happened between these emails just released and her disappearing? A lot can happen in a year or more. ???

If the Trib wants to go back to the beginning....where is their timeline? What can they investigate and find in that last year?

Hollyblue, I have the same questions you have. I wonder why those emails were even released to the press. What purpose does it serve. Ratings? I felt somewhat like a voyeur reading them. I also wonder why the more recent emails have not been released. I read that Jennifer Graves is writing a book so maybe we will have to wait for the book to see those recent emails, assuming Graves was the recipient.
http://fox13now.com/2012/04/29/susan-powells-sister-in-law-writing-book-about-the-case/
I do think Susan was a bit out of line to complain about Josh over email and apparently to so many people. Side note about me: My husband and I live in a small town. He told three of his co-workers (not friends) some personal things about me and it got back to me. The co-workers had called the house to talk to my husband for one thing or another and they actually "tattled" on my husband and told me what he said about me! I felt so betrayed. Because of my experience, I really cringed when I read that Susan had taken notes, with Josh's knowledge(knowledge that she was going to email them to a friend?) and when Susan wrote that she had a friend that knew shorthand and "wrote down the crazy stuff he said". I bet that made Josh mad.
I got the impression from the emails that Susan did not mind riding a bicycle. She mentioned that they spent a family day bike riding to Walmart. Also, it sounded like Steven Powell was a shoulder to cry on about Josh. At what point in time did she get creeped out about Steven Powell? Sounds like Josh was a bit OCD about paperwork, organization and Susan disapproved of that, said Josh was avoiding her because he was cleaning/organizing.
RE: Susan's email 10/31/08 "Update on "that husband" Appears she threatened divorce if she was not allowed to pay tithing on her income. Prior email stated she got approval for a food order and said she talked to her Bishop about getting help with bills. I would not be happy with my husband if he insisted I pay a church tithing when we did not have enough money for food/bills.
IMHO, the emails that I read did not indicate that Josh Powell was physically abusive, or even mentally abusive. Looks to me that there were some problems with his employment, arguments on how money should be spent and church obligations. Obviously, things took a turn for the worse. I am just looking at and giving MOO on these emails on face value, ignoring the outcome of their dysfunctional marriage. They married five months after they met! I see her frustration with Josh but I do not see anything in the emails where she feared for her physical safety. She said she was going to ask the Lord if it was worth it to stay in her marriage and tolerate his constant manipulations. So, looks like vital emails are missing.
I wonder if WVPD will ever tell what evidence they had. I would love to hear it. From the comments I read on recent news articles, people are sick of hearing nothing of importance from WVPD and think WVPD really screwed up. I wonder if Ann Rule (love her) is still going to write a book about Susan.
I am not on Josh Powell's side whatsoever. He is a murderer. My above opinions are only about Susan's emails.

Hollyblue, I have the same questions you have. I wonder why those emails were even released to the press. What purpose does it serve. Ratings? I felt somewhat like a voyeur reading them. I also wonder why the more recent emails have not been released. I read that Jennifer Graves is writing a book so maybe we will have to wait for the book to see those recent emails, assuming Graves was the recipient.
http://fox13now.com/2012/04/29/susan-powells-sister-in-law-writing-book-about-the-case/
I do think Susan was a bit out of line to complain about Josh over email and apparently to so many people. Side note about me: My husband and I live in a small town. He told three of his co-workers (not friends) some personal things about me and it got back to me. The co-workers had called the house to talk to my husband for one thing or another and they actually "tattled" on my husband and told me what he said about me! I felt so betrayed. Because of my experience, I really cringed when I read that Susan had taken notes, with Josh's knowledge(knowledge that she was going to email them to a friend?) and when Susan wrote that she had a friend that knew shorthand and "wrote down the crazy stuff he said". I bet that made Josh mad.
I got the impression from the emails that Susan did not mind riding a bicycle. She mentioned that they spent a family day bike riding to Walmart. Also, it sounded like Steven Powell was a shoulder to cry on about Josh. At what point in time did she get creeped out about Steven Powell? Sounds like Josh was a bit OCD about paperwork, organization and Susan disapproved of that, said Josh was avoiding her because he was cleaning/organizing.
RE: Susan's email 10/31/08 "Update on "that husband" Appears she threatened divorce if she was not allowed to pay tithing on her income. Prior email stated she got approval for a food order and said she talked to her Bishop about getting help with bills. I would not be happy with my husband if he insisted I pay a church tithing when we did not have enough money for food/bills.
IMHO, the emails that I read did not indicate that Josh Powell was physically abusive, or even mentally abusive. Looks to me that there were some problems with his employment, arguments on how money should be spent and church obligations. Obviously, things took a turn for the worse. I am just looking at and giving MOO on these emails on face value, ignoring the outcome of their dysfunctional marriage. They married five months after they met! I see her frustration with Josh but I do not see anything in the emails where she feared for her physical safety. She said she was going to ask the Lord if it was worth it to stay in her marriage and tolerate his constant manipulations. So, looks like vital emails are missing.
I wonder if WVPD will ever tell what evidence they had. I would love to hear it. From the comments I read on recent news articles, people are sick of hearing nothing of importance from WVPD and think WVPD really screwed up. I wonder if Ann Rule (love her) is still going to write a book about Susan.
I am not on Josh Powell's side whatsoever. He is a murderer. My above opinions are only about Susan's emails.

Bold by me.

Re: Susan taking notes and sharing with a friend:

When you are being emotionally abused and someone is twisting your words, changing his story, blaming you for everything to deflect attention from himself, you actually start to doubt your own perceptions. Having things in writing can help to remind you that he DID say those things and things WERE that bad. Also, you may need validation from another party for the same purpose. You begin to distrust yourself because you are constantly being manipulated, and you start to doubt your own perceptions.

Re: Steven Powell being a shoulder to cry on:

Steven probably played up consoling her to get close to her, this is not hard to imagine with the inappropriate interest he had in her. And Steven is most likely a guy with no real allegiances and would surely throw Josh under the bus to gain intimacy on any level with Susan.

Re: you statement that you don't see anything mentally abusive:

I definitely do. I have personal family experience with people such as Josh, and I am also am a master level clinican in mental health counseling. His behavior, his controlling, his telling her one thing and then saying the other, his extreme rules all indicate this. Often emotional abuse is so subtle, constant, and insidious it is difficult to pick out exact examples. It permeates daily life and wears a woman down who has lived with it for many years.

MOO.

Bold by me.

You don't see any indication that she fears for her physical safety? What more would she have to say?

"I'm afraid of the consequences.... him kidnapping... divorce or worse on his part". Fearing your husband will kidnap your kids ... or "worse" is not a concern in normal divorces between mentally stable people. Also, Susan writing a "will" due to her fears indicates that yes, she was indeed fearing for what could happen to her or her children.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back