Trial Thread, May 1, 2012 Defense begins it case in chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
She also saw the woman in the white coat with Tori walking up the hill. I think it is safe to say she saw the same person. JMO

I do not think it is safe to say. I could have been someone else with a white coat. It could have been someone else with a white sweater. I also think it would be odd that she was the only person that saw TLM enter. Also TLM is a criminal, while not exactly a rocket scientist I do not believe she would have taken such a great risk. People think VS must have been targeted because apparently TLM walked into the school. So how would she know where to go to find TS? How would she know which locker was hers? How would she know the layout of the school? IMO she would not have been that bold. Much easier to wait outside and let them come to you.

Respectfully bolded my me. That is what I ask myself. That is also why I come to the conclusion that TLM did not enter the school MOO. TS was rushing that day because she had a movie date with some girls in her new house!! I would have been quite excited myself when I was her age. MOO. Between the Gramma and Teacher, I would weigh heavily in favour of the teachers testimony, as oppsed to the Grammas.
I also believe gramma clearly saw someone enter the school, it just was not TLM IMO

But grandma saw the identical person who entered the front doors of the school, walking down the road with VS.

The witness was sitting only feet away from the doors. She is driving a van......so her eyes can't be that bad.

In my mind, the jury is going to accept the testimony of a credible witness, and believe that TLM did enter the school.

I doubt TLM would enter the school for a random abduction, so I believe that she knew she was going to take VS.

I do wonder why no other school staff, teachers, or parents standing outside waiting for their kids came forward.

I hope it isn't because they didn't want to subject themselves to ridicule.

How this testimony is involved in the defense summary......we shall see.

JMO...........

[/B]

As well as good arguments as to why she was not targeted.

I was simply responding to someone questioning all the coincidences and the possibility that Tori was in fact targeted. I was not commenting on the balance of comments both ways on the history of posts. MOO

I truly dont think he gave his lawyer much to work with. I think he made up some story and the lawyer went with what he gave along with some google searches. JMO

Can you please post the information stating she was not a reliable witness? I must have missed that determination. Thanking you in advance MOO

I wouldn't say this Grandmother was not a reliable witness...

but I do feel she was mistaken jmo

Under cross-examination the Crown pointed out that the grandmom's memory conflicted
with some earlier statements she made to police in April and May of 2009.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/30/19698706.html

The witness told the court she was sitting and waiting in a car for her grandchildren and their mother to come out after school that day.

The woman was parked in the school’s driveway, near school buses that were being loaded with children.

That’s when she saw the woman in a white jacket with the little girl.

“The little girl who was with her was happy, skipping, talking a mile a minute,” said the witness. “I assumed that the person she was talking to was her mother.”

She said the dark-haired woman in the white jacket appeared had a “stern” look on her face.

“It seemed like she was on a mission,” said the witness.

Earlier, she had seen the same woman walk through the front doors of the elementary school. It had caught her attention because the woman was wearing a white ski jacket on a warm April day.

Under cross-examination, she was quizzed about whether or not these were the details she remembered of that day, or if her memory has been clouded by the extensive coverage of the high-profile case.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/01/witness-testifies-for-defence-at-tori-stafford-trial/

But grandma saw the identical person who entered the front doors of the school, walking down the road with VS.

The witness was sitting only feet away from the doors. She is driving a van......so her eyes can't be that bad.

In my mind, the jury is going to accept the testimony of a credible witness, and believe that TLM did enter the school.

I doubt TLM would enter the school for a random abduction, so I believe that she knew she was going to take VS.

I do wonder why no other school staff, teachers, or parents standing outside waiting for their kids came forward.

I hope it isn't because they didn't want to subject themselves to ridicule.

How this testimony is involved in the defense summary......we shall see.

JMO...........

Just trying to understand the argument here. Are you saying that if it can be shown that Tori was targeted, then it logically follows that MR is not guilty of kidnapping, rape and murder? That all the charges rest on this one fact - if it is proven and jury relies on it in their deliberations?

Salem

1:22
Mike Knoll:
@janice - yes.
fb_share2.png

Tuesday May 1, 2012 1:22 Mike Knoll

1:22
spacer.gif
[Comment From janice janice : ]
will you report, here, the details of the judge's charge to the jury?
fb_share2.png

I wouldn't say this Grandmother was not a reliable witness...

but I do feel she was mistaken jmo

Under cross-examination the Crown pointed out that the grandmom's memory conflicted
with some earlier statements she made to police in April and May of 2009.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/30/19698706.html

Your right. I should have worded it as she was mistaken. My apologies for using unreliable. I wasnt meaning to cause a stir. Just saying the defence had one witness to prove his defendant was innocent and he just brings one out that I dont think made a difference and could have mistaken the things she did see. JMO

I'm totally confused. What is this? Is that all? If Derstine haven't said already that this is his only witness I would think that there is still a bomb shell to come. I really don't get it. Did MR know that this is all what his lawyer can do for him?

I feel like being in the middle of a joke.

No family from him present...that says a lot.

What a circus. I really don't know what to say. We all expected so much today and that is it? stunned

I hear you. I was expecting all those alleged drug and gangster connections on the stand. One by one testifying how they were at the scene of the crime and it wasn't MR.

EOA turned out to be EI EI O

GO RODNEY!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
Rodney Stafford on #Rafferty not testifying: "I think he's a coward" "Either way he was toast" #sl

This poor woman came forward to help with what she saw and defence tore it to pieces.

It puzzles me as to why the Crown didn't present the evidence.

The witness went to the police with this information days after the abduction.

She helped LE start looking for a woman with a white puffy coat, but her testimony wasn't credible enough for the Crown to put her on the stand?

Does Derstine now point to this witness...........and tell them that without him revealing the information, they wouldn't have heard this key testimony.

Does he ask the jury how much other information that doesn't suit the allegations, the Crown hasn't disclosed?

Powerful words in front of the jury........to create reasonable doubt.

JMO...........

Either way, I think Grandma's testimony is much ado about nothing.

I don't think anyone doubts her honesty or integrity. However, the fact remains that her testimony was inconsistent with the police report and is inconsistent with the teacher's testimony.

The jury will have to weigh these things when they deliberate.

Salem

Do you have link to police report? I don't seem to have that. I wnder if part of what is under the ban could possibly be a relationship between TLM and TM, and could she have possibly known TS was walking home by herself? And will the public get more info about the drug rip off TM testified about, and clarification about the "vindictive" comment? JMO

[Comment From Guest Guest : ]
I have asked this before, but just in case it was missed.. Was Tori's bottom clothing ever recovered?

Mike Knoll: @guest - not to my knowledge.

Sounds like MTR has "taken his ball home and doesn't want to play anymore". MOO Doesn't want to sit through weeks more. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member